Search Unity

Feedback [RELEASED] Unity Optimizer Free

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Eviral, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Eviral

Eviral

Hello,

I'm a Unity indie home developer.
    I have created a tool called Unity Optimizer for my own needs with the video game i'm working on.

Unity Optimizer is a standalone tool that helps Unity video game developers to easily optimize the size of their builds.

2DGameKit.png

I have decided to share this tool because i think it can be really usefull for a lot of Unity developers.

Key features :
    - Very easy to use !- Intuitive UX and simple and clear material design based UI
    - Works well with Unity 2018, 2019 and 2020 for 2D and 3D projects
    - Works for all build targets (Win, MacOs, Linux, IOS, Android...)
    - 2 possible project analysis (basic analysis or in depth analysis)
    - Basic analysis will analyse all your project assets (textures, models, sounds, scenes, prefabs...)
    - In depth analysis will open all image assets to analyse their binary content to find possible optimizations
    - Check asset info (size, usage, included in build...) in asset explorer tab
    - Fast overview of the largest assets in your project
    - Fast overview of the assets that are not used but included in your build (and could be removed)
    - Get statistics about the build asset type distribution (textures, sounds, 3D models, scripts...)
    - Get a list of suggestions of what to do to reduce the size of your build (more than 10 different advice)
    - Optimize each asset by just following Unity Optimizer optimization tips
    - Can work side by side with Unity in realtime

Standalone tool :
    Open and deeply parse your unity project to find all the best optimizations in a few minutes.
    Unity Optimizer and Unity can work together side by side in real time.
    Available only for Windows 64 bits.

Download it here (free) :
    https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9PHN9MF0N9NS
    or search for "Unity Optimizer Free" in the Windows Store

Also available on itch.io !
    https://eviral.itch.io/unity-optimizer-free

SideBySide.png

4.png

5.png

I hope Unity Optimizer can help you to significantly reduce the size of your builds !

This tool is under Work In Progress and a lot of new features will be coming soon...

Let me know :)

Eviral

2. Eviral

Eviral

Unity Optimizer is standalone tool working only on Windows 64bits for the moment.

I'm thinking of creating a MacOS and Linux version but i would need to know how many Unity developers would be interested...

Please vote if you would like to use Unity Optimizer on MacOSX or Linux !

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  3. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I would be interested in a MacOSX version!

4. Eviral

Eviral

Ok, great !
    Anybody else ?

5. Zapan15

Zapan15

Looks very good! Can you create a video (or have I missed something)?

6. Eviral

Eviral

Thanks...
    Yes, i should work on a video...

7. StephaneC_G

StephaneC_G

Hello @Eviral , I tried the free version but it keeps saying that no Unity build log can be found. I tried it with a project consisting only of the Sample Scene found in this Unity package : https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/environments/nature-starter-kit-2-52977.

I do have the logs generated by your editor script in the console, last one being:

UnityOptimizerBuildLogExtender.OnPostprocessBuild build path : C:/Users/myusername/Desktop/UnitOptTest/UnityOptTest/Build/UnityOptTest.exe

Additonal infos:
    I tested this both with 2020.2.0b2 and 2020.1.6f1 ( same version than the screenshots), I also tested in a new project (2020.1.6f1) with the 2D Starter Kit and also have the problem.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  8. Eviral

Eviral

Hi...
    Unity store the editor.log here : C:\Users\[YOUR_USER_NAME]\AppData\Local\Unity\Editor\Editor.log
    Can you confirm that you have this file in this location please ?

Then, each time you restart Unity, the editor.log is cleared so there is no build information inside until you build again your project in Unity.

The most direct scenario is :
    1. Start Unity and rebuild your project
    2. Start Unity Optimizer and open your project
    Unity Optimizer should be able to find editor.log with all freshly added build information.

Tell me if it helps...

9. StephaneC_G

StephaneC_G

Yeah I checked the editor.log and it was in this location.

But closing everything and re-opening in the order you gave seemed to do the trick :). Not sure what went wrong because I tried multiple times.

Since you asked for feedback, here's some of my observations:
    - Nice and clean UI indeed
    - The dropdown on the Optimizations Tab doesn't seem to do anything in the Free version at least, maybe it should be hidden or greyed out.
    - The largest assets tab does exactly what it says and is a great way to visualize and search the most voluminous assets in a better way than opening the editor.log
    - The statistics tab can be great to keep track visually of the size repartition, maybe it would be nice to be able to compare with previous builds ?
    - I had a bug where the label disappeared . It worked the first time and then the second time it displayed nothing. Maybe because I switched apps in between:
    - upload_2020-12-17_16-24-15.png
    - When I end my remote session and then reconnect all tabs are empty though the project still appears as title. Might be triggered only by locking and unlocking the windows session but can't test it right now ( I'm accessing my pc via remote )
    - psd files are considered as 0x0 textures and marked as not power of 2
    - search in project explorer is not super useful since it only returns folders, it would be better if it listed all matching files like the search in Unity imo.
    - I should have more feedback once I try the full version :)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  10. Eviral

Eviral

11. Eviral

Eviral

@StephaneC_G, I would like to thanks you again for your feedback.
    You can get the full version half the price if you want on itch.io :)

12. EmilieCollard191

EmilieCollard191

Hello this app seem nice but do it support assetbundle/addressableAsset or is the support planed?

13. Mustafakin

Mustafakin

Hello @Eviral ! I bought the full version of the Unity Optimizer and looks really cool! I don't know why but I think I couldn't make it work with my project. I looked for the editor file and there is one on the location that you said from the previous comments. What I've done so far is :
    1- Opened the project and made a build
    2- Opened the Optimizer
    but when I open the Optimizer, it displays the build size as unknown and even if it shows there are 23 optimizations, it won't display them. What may cause this issue? I have made builds under another file not in the project itself. May this cause a problem? Thanks in advance.

14. Eviral

Eviral

Hello @Mustafakin, could you please send me your latest Unity optimizer log file to eviralsoftware[@]outlook.com ?