Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[70% OFF!] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. EDarkness

EDarkness

Well, there's a reason I can't update to 5.0.2. It has to do with cross development environments. Is there ANY way to get this without updating?

*EDIT*: I went ahead and installed 5.0.3 on my machine so I can get stuff from the store. Now I just need to know how to set the start time. What variables need to be called to get this working?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  2. BHS

BHS

You no longer need to call any variables to set the starting time.

Setting the starting time can be done via the UniStorm Editor like below. If you want to save and load your UniStorm Time, you can look at the Save and Load Example we have supplied with UniStorm 2.0.

StartingTime.png

3. EDarkness

EDarkness

Well, I have my own system for keeping time and it's just easier if I can just pass Unistorm the information when the game starts up. I see that there's a variable named "realStartTime", so would that need to be called? I didn't install any of those scripts since my program doesn't need them. I'm more interested in just interacting with Unistorm in a basic way and my code handles everything else. Just means less messing around with your code in the end.

4. Olander

Olander

Hi all. I will also try to help BHS explain this properly. Not quite certain why BHS did not already explain these steps to troubleshoot this. Oh well.

1) Make sure you delete everything associated with the Old UniStorm. I end up doing this for every update. This really sucks but it is what it is. I am really hoping this is it for the game breaking changes with this system.

2) Make sure that ANY UniStorm is deleted from you Asset Store Downloads.
    - Unity 4 Location: C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store <= I think this is correct...close enough
    - Unity 5 Location: C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x

3) Now that the Asset Store will detect that there is nothing to Update it will download the latest.

4) Download Only the UniStorm package....do not simply import it in one go.

5) Go to the Unity 5 location shown above and find the sub folders.....
    C:\Users\<UserName\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\Black Horizon Studios\ScriptingEffects
    - Double Click and Install from there.

6) Once Installed....
    - UniStorm>Scripts>Editor
    - Click on UniStormEditor_C and look in Inspector. It will say C# Version 1.8.5 (BHS stated this earlier...still not certain why the 2.0 change did not get updated to the script prior to Asset Store Upload)

7) If all is okie in 1 through 6 then you can go ahead and set up your scenes again with weather. Works just fine.

A note about UniStorm and breaking updates. Although I have been miffed since v1.6 but have seen where the new designs are going I made a game empty just for spawning the UniStorm Prefab. I change the name to my own naming standard so there is no confusion. When there is an update I simply test and remake the prefab how it needs to be then change the name to what is in the spawning script. Simple and effective to update ALL of your weather related scenes.

UniStorm v2.0 is a rather large improvement over the 1.7 and 1.8 series. I am still testing it but I have to say that it is becoming once again my favorite weather system. I am feeding it Humidity, Weather Levels, and my own Persistent Time and it is doing what it needs to do. Integration to Controlling UniStorm is still not an easy task but it can be done. UniStorm wants/needs to control everything....not simple to feed it information....never has been.

Hopefully the above helps those having issues.

5. Olander

Olander

Quite a bit more involved than what you just wrote. There are a number things you must go through and comment out then tie your Time System Variables into a _GameData object then slave UniStorm's time system from that. It is more than simply posting code snippets here. In my Olander's Realistic Weather here on the Forums I have included Persistent Time....that is what is currently driving UniStorm's Time Keeping (the methods in that are very similar to getting UniStorm Time slaved). I save the time via Easy Save 2 (tested with MS SQL, SQLite as well...both free). The database functions are in there as well.

I kind of wish UniStorm had the option to use External Time or Internal Time to drive it. Oh well....cannot have it all I guess.

6. EDarkness

EDarkness

Well, that would be great, but alas. In any case, I have managed to get it working properly. For those who don't know what's going on, let me give the condensed version.

1. update UnistormWeatherSystem.realStartTimeMinutes to whatever start variable you need.
    2. Update UnistormWeatherSystem.realStartTime to whatever start hour you need.
    3. Plug in your day and night length if you need to. I have found out that based on my own time system the Unistorm clock and my own game clock match up if I don't split the values. In otherwords if I have a 24 hour time of 480 minutes, then both day and night length need to be the same time. Either way, your milage may vary.
    4. Call UnistormWeatherSystem.LoadTime();

There you go. The Unistorm system will start at the time you specify in code. I have managed to get it's time and my time synced...FINALLY. All seems to be right with the world.

However, I do think nighttime around 8pm is WAY too dark.

7. Olander

Olander

@EDarkness Your method is much easier. LOL!! Very cool. I shall do a reset and give this a try. I really do not need seconds plugged into UniStorm. Also it seems with this method at first glance that I will need to push a time sync if they get more than 1 minute apart. Not difficult. Thank You

EDarkness likes this.
  8. Kinukin

Kinukin

Hmm, so I scaled the clouds instead of the whole thing and now everytime I move when it storms the clouds are flashing every time the player moves.

Edit: For some weird reason its working now lol, maybe I just adjusted some settings.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  9. Kinukin

Kinukin

Hmm for some reason I get these dark looking clouds:

Maybe it's the lighting or the global illumination/baking?

10. Xtense

Xtense

Hey guys,

My question seems to have been lost amidst other posts and it's kind of important to us, so I would like to ask again, are Volumetric Clouds planned for UniStorm? It's an important feature for our project since the player will be able to move freely vertically and move through the cloud layer. It would be great knowing whether we should wait for support or look elsewhere at different weather simulation solutions.

Best Regards,
    Xtense

11. Demonith88

Demonith88

I have a little problem i run MMO and my character is loaded from other scene where Unistorm is not so i have a scene with unistorm and my player when its get loaded its not geting the sunshit sun component somehow is there a way to get this work

I using ICODE just saying if that helps

12. sheffieldlad

sheffieldlad

If you are wanting to populate the sun and moon transforms in the shaft caster slot on each sun shafts script then something along the lines of this un tested and quite hackey code should get you started.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class SunShaftsHelper : MonoBehaviour {
    6. //camera with sun shafts attached, array to hold sun shafts scripts,  sun and moon game objects.
    7.         private GameObject camThing;
    8.     private SunShafts[] shafts;
    9.     private GameObject sunTrans;
    10.     private GameObject moonTrans;
    12. void  Start (){
    13. sunTrans = GameObject.Find ("Sun");
    14.         moonTrans = GameObject.Find ("Moon");
    15.         camThing = GameObject.FindWithTag ("MainCamera");
    16. //populate the shafts array with each SunShafts script attached to the camera
    17. shafts = camThing.GetComponents<SunShafts> ();
    18. //this is messy. Unity SHOULD order the sun shafts scripts into the array in the same order they are sat on your camera.
    19. // I don't know if it does in the real world because I've never tested it.
    20. //so we need to order them some how so we know which receives the moon and which gets the sun.
    21. //they both use different screen blend modes so that will be good enough.
    22.         foreach(SunShafts shaft in shafts){
    23.             if(shaft.screenBlendMode == ShaftsScreenBlendMode.Add){
    24.                 shaft.sunTransform = sunTrans.transform;
    25.             }
    26.             else{
    27.                 shaft.sunTransform = moonTrans.transform;
    28.             }
    30.      }
    32. }
    Mono develop will complain because sunShafts.js is in Unityscript and mono won't be able to see it from your c# script.
    Don't worry about the red text in mono develop. it should compile alright.

You have to do other things like attach the particle effects to the camera, tell unistorm to use the camera attached to your player etc but I'll leave you to figure that out :)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  13. BHS

BHS

Thanks for this. I'm sure it will help a lot of people out.

Yes, we will be adjusting the night so it's not so dark during the twilight hours. We plan on adding a twilight color adjustment which should counter the darkness while transitioning between Evening to Night and Night to Morning.

You need to make sure you increase the Far Clipping Plane on your camera, if you adjust the cloud size.

Go to Windows>Lighting and set your Ambient Source to Color. It looks better and it will get rid of the darkness in the clouds.

Sorry about that.

We may plan on adding volumetric clouds in the future. There's a few things we have to take care of first before we start working on that feature.

14. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Just want to confirm that upgrading (I'm at 5.1.1f now) fixed my problem too.

Or at least, fixed that scripting problem. Now I've got console "warnings" (the yellow ones, not red) popping up saying that "The referenced script on this Behavior is missing!" and pointing to the camera. Not really sure what the issue is there. And the wind is way, way too strong, though I'm not sure if that's a problem with UniStorm or something else.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  15. impi2

impi2

Is this unistorm really using so little memory and resorce?

does it do all the lights for the level?

What does that mean? Is not easy to control from another script these things?

16. Kinukin

Kinukin

How do I get collision working with the rain streaks? Because currently they are going through objects!

17. Olander

Olander

UniStorm likes to do everything itself. It is not difficult to get information FROM UniStorm but using something external to control it is more difficult. Example....say you have Humidity and the more Humidity you have the denser/greater the cloud coverage. UniStorm does not work this way. It has Weather Scenarios which External Controls can control but getting somewhat precise control is not going to happen. So with UniStorm you basically have to Feed it Scenarios and let it do everything internally. Basically you need to control WeatherType and Weather Odds (4 seasons each % chance). The best way to get a feel of how UniStorm changes and handles things is to sit there and watch it for a few hours while ticking off changes. Once you have that you can then Feed it properly with some realistic/reasonable regional environment data. The results are fine.

18. impi2

impi2

Thanks to Olander

I am thinking this is hard tokeep in line many computers for network. Why can not just be one seed copied to other computers to set all variables same until more seed comes to change again all, like Tenkoko can.

Do you find memory is very small?
    For me Tenkoko is best realism but eats many memory so can't play smooth so not good for game. Ok for still fotos only.

19. BHS

BHS

While UniStorm does control a lot of component end factors, it drains mean you can adjust things from an external script. We have created tons of external system that manipulate UniStorm. This includes a rest systems.

As explained below, it is totally possible to create your own custom weather generation system. You would just make the weather static, then adjust it using an external script. If you want to change the weather by humidity, you can. This is something we plan on adding with the next update.

Many of our customer can sync UniStorm over networks with great results. Every has their own weather effects but all share the same global current weather.

We are working on adding Humidity as a new weather generation type. Users will be able to choose whether the weather uses the system uses now or the new humidity system. This should give some users more control over how the weather functions. Users will be able to control both the weather and the level of humidity. If the humidity reaches near 100% it could rain. We are still working on all the details though.

With UniStorm 2.0, it's easy to change and adjust the weather. If you'd like some type of manual system, you can set the system to Static Weather. You can then add your own custom system that changes the weather based on a factor that's more suitable for you game. As long as UniStorm is properly synced with the network, all users will have the same weather.

As for speed/performance, our customers say the don't notice any noticeable performance impact after adding UniStorm to their projects.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  20. Olander

Olander

I agree. It is a simple matter to change weather as well as sync the current scenario over a network. The only real issues are immersion. When Thunder or that Lightning Strike or Flash happens each person that is in that 'Zone' or 'Area' should see/hear it happen at the same time. This means that event must be sync'd over the network. This does not mean exactly the same time....but relatively close. This is immersion.

With UniStorm back on track....v2.0 is really good. Weather is not just random though. There is Regional Water Content that Feeds Humidity. There are Warm and Cool Fronts that build then cause precipitation. Since v2.0 is so darned good we really need to get rid of some of the randomness and use regional type information and event sync.

Keep up the great work.

21. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

22. BHS

BHS

Our apologies. We are currently working on updating UniStorm Mobile for Unity 5

We have a solution here, the same will work for mobile:
    http://unistorm-weather-system.wikia.com/wiki/UniStorm_(Unity_5)#Converting_our_UniStorm_Scripts

There are other solutions on the solutions part of the wiki.

If you are still having issues, PM us and we will help you find a solution or send you the updated scripts.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  23. EDarkness

EDarkness

I have a question about the sun. I was working on a new scene and realized that the sun (image) and the light aren't matched up. The sun shows up to the right of the actual light as it hits the water. Is there a way to get these two things linked up properly?

24. BHS

BHS

It should be properly aligned, but if it's not, you can adjust the sun child object that's enabled within the sun_moon game object.

Have you scaled the system at?

25. EDarkness

EDarkness

I haven't done any scales. Just threw in the prefab and adjusted it's location for my world and let it do it's thing. I'll mess around with it later today and see if I can get it working right.

26. Erekel

Erekel

Hello,

I have a huge set of terrain tiles, RTP and UniSky. I'm having a bit of a problem getting consistent lighting.

I've turned off all the ambient stuff in RTP, and attached the correct scripts etc. but during half of a day cycle, my terrain isn't being lit, for example 6am - 12pm its black, then from 12pm to night, its lit fine. I tried messing with the sun rotation, but this just makes the mornings lit and the afternoons black.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

The terrains are 4x4 4000x500x4000 if this makes a difference.

27. BHS

BHS

That's strange, the only thing I've heard about dark terrains is due to RTP, but it's fixable as stated here by the developer himself: http://unistorm-weather-system.wiki..._have_other_issues_regarding_RTP_and_UniStorm

28. Erekel

Erekel

I've attached the script to the main moon/sun direct light, but it doesn't stop it.

It appears to be a rotation issue, as if I pause time then change the sun rotation, the terrain is lit properly.

If I set rotation to 90, its black in the morning, and if I change it to -90, its black during the afternoon.

I'm lost as to what to try next.

EDIT:

Looks like I imported my normal maps wrong and it screwed up the lighting. Got consistent lighting now, just have some weird shadow issues to resolve!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  29. EDarkness

EDarkness

BHS, is there a way to fix the light on the horizon? It's WAY too bright, even at night.

30. BHS

BHS

Great to hear.

Shadow issues can usually be fixed by increasing the quality of the shadows. We have no issues with shadows and the look super clean, even while the sun is moving. You can also go to Quality Setting and set youe Shadow Cascades to Four Cascade and your Shadow Projection to Stable Fit. It should give you super clean shadows.

You can adjust these settings under Atmosphere Options.

The horizon shouldn't be bright at night because the sun has set. Can you supply a screenshot?

31. kloogens

kloogens

Has anyone gotten UniStorm 2.0 to work with UFPS 1.5 and a two camera setup in Unity 5?

I almost have it working but still have problems.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  32. BHS

BHS

We have it working.

You need to transfer all the particle effects over from our demo player to the UFPS player and make them all children of the of the parent player.

You then need to make sure you have the FPSCamera applied to UniStorm as its camera source.

Finally, you need to change the Far Clipping plane on the FPSCamera to about 18,000.

Let us know if this helps. It's the exact setup we have and everything is working fine.

We also have a tutorial on our UniStorm Wiki site, if you need a more detailed guide:
    http://unistorm-weather-system.wiki..._UniStorm_with_Ultimate_FPS_Camera_.28UFPS.29

33. kloogens

kloogens

To be clear. I'm trying to use a two camera setup described in the Unistorm Wiki with UFPS.

I have the single camera solution working just fine.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  34. BHS

BHS

Yes, we are using it currently. We have used it for 3 or 4 of our latest demo videos.

35. kloogens

kloogens

I guess I'm getting confused. The setup instructions for UFPS seems to only cover a single camera.
    So I'm assuming I would also need to follow the two camera setup instructions as well.
    That is when things go wrong.

Following the UFPS instructions are straight forward, and I have no problem getting them working, but again that is only for a single camera from what I see.
    I can also get the two camera solution working without UFPS.
    I could be completely thick and not see something totally obvious here sorry if that is the case.

36. BHS

BHS

Okay, I get what you're saying now.

UFPS already uses 2 cameras, one to render the scene, and one to render the FPS weapon, arms, etc.

If you want the 2 camera setup, you will have to add another camera. The same thing would apply as our setup, but you would use the FPSCamera and then add a 3rd camera to render UniStorm. Exclude the WeaponCamera from the setup and you should get it working.

37. kloogens

kloogens

s

Okay I think i figured it out.
    Following the instructions for the two camera setup and UFPS together this is what I came up with.

Please verify that this is correct or there isn't a better way to do this.

1 . When I duplicated the FPSCamera (to make camera2 in the instructions). I removed the all the child objects such as WeasponCamera etc.

2. Now with the newly duplicated camera (Camera2) I added a script that updates the cameras depth value. This is necessary because apparently all child cameras of the UFPS Player Object get these values changed when the game starts. Without this the rendering was all messed up. Code as follows. C#

void Start ()
    {
    this.GetComponent<Camera>().depth = -1; //this sets the camera for UniStorm to the very back.
    }

Now all my cameras should have the proper depth
    DuplicatedFPSCamera.depth = -1 //For UniStorm - back
    OriginalFPSCamera.depth = 0; //The Scene - middle
    WeaponCamera.deth = 1; // The UFPS Characters arms/weapon. - front

3.Next getting the sun shafts to work, I had to add a tonemapping image effect on the OriginalFPS Camera. The default settings of Photometric with exposure of 1.5 worked.
    None of the cameras are have HDR checked (didn't try it).

The last thing i need to figure out is how to adjust the FarClippingPlane of the WeaponCamera to around 35. Adding a line of code Cam1.farClipPlane = 35; didn't work, probably because something else modifies that value down the line. That will allow the weather to be seen over the main scene. Otherwise it only renders in the sky region. I'll trace that out later, I'm spent.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  38. BHS

BHS

This all sounds good. With your duplicated camera, you only need to have the near clipping plane set to about 8,000 to 10,000. This will make sure it doesn't render the scene twice. Also, make sure you have changed all distant UniStorm components to their own layer. This way only the duplicated camera will see it.

39. Munnin

Munnin

Quick question about the temperature map. Can it be customized for different landscapes (continents, regions, etc), and does it adjust to latitude for adjusting local temperatures? (ie Africa's heat, and Antarctica's cold)

40. Sphelps

Sphelps

When can we get our hands on the plant code that looks cool.
    (Also just bought your AI system nice work)

41. BHS

BHS

Yes, you can access the temperature variable and customize it to your liking.

Great to you hear you like our Emerald AI system.

We will be submitting the update soon. We will also be submitting our new update for UniStorm Mobile and Unity 4 users.

42. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

So as you know unity likes to forget about the "sun" object in the lighting settings. For some reason for me this isn't permanent: every time I reopen my project I have to set it again. Is this normal? Or should it save and I have an issue?

Also, is there any plan for more "weather mixing," I suppose you might call it? Yesterday in the span of an hour it was sunny out, spitting water, sunny again, then full-on raining for like twenty minutes, then sunny again. I imagine it would be difficult to have weather that changes rapidly, or perhaps moves like a storm front, and it would no doubt wreak havoc on my/your plant growth system (though one quick solution I see is to have a big invisible cube that follows each, or perhaps variant [such as a rain section within a cloudy day] weather type(s) and triggers the AddWater script), but it would increase the dynamism greatly. Being able to see rainclouds coming your way would be super cool.

Edit: thinking about Munnin's question along with my idea, if you could separate out portions of the game world you might be able to have temps for specific regions, like say heat for a beach and cold for the mountains. I believe there's a "weather zone" prefab in the asset but I don't know what exactly it does--and I'm always looking at how to automate things (a necessity for runtime procedural world creation).

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  43. Baum_Joshua

Baum_Joshua

I just recently updated Unistorm to 2.0 however the moment i did received a bunch of console errors for the standard assets folder. I made sure unity is updated to its most recent. any idea what could be causing this? I've already reimported all of the effects and standard assets with no luck.

44. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

What stuff specifically? I had some problems with some image effect scripts when I first imported, I recall. They were duplicates.

45. Baum_Joshua

Baum_Joshua

Error similar to "UnityStandardAssets.ImageEffects' already contains a definition for" but it would reference practically every script in the image effects folder

46. BHS

BHS

The sun in the Environmental Lighting should be saved when you save your scene. You should not have to reapply it every time. That may be a Unity bug as we have never experienced this issue.

You can create your own custom script that generates new weather every hour. Just check out our UniStorm Wiki site to see the code references.

http://unistorm-weather-system.wikia.com/wiki/Code_References#Weather

Make sure you backup your project. This is always a standard precaution when using Unity.

Try deleting UniStorm and the image effects in your scene. Then reimport the Image Effects and then UniStorm. Sometimes Unity has a hard time when multiple versions of image effects are in one project. It's supposed to update them automatically, but sometimes this issue arises.

Let us know if this helps.

EternalAmbiguity likes this.
  47. Baum_Joshua

Baum_Joshua

After I finish a back up of my scene I will try that and let you know

48. Baum_Joshua

Baum_Joshua

It did not fix the issue see below it caused a bunch of different ones now

Attached Files:

49. BHS

BHS

Make sure your Standard Assets folder is not in any other folder. Sometimes this will cause issues. Also, closing Unity and reopening it will allow the scripts to recompile.

50. Unplug

Unplug

I have a very annoying problem. I'm using only 1 camera in the scene, the one that come with unistorm when you insert it but unity tell me that i need to add a C# sunshaft script even though the camera have 2 (one active for sun and one inactive for moon). I have just inserted the system and it simply doesn't want to work. The preview load ok but camera don't move because of that.