Search Unity

[RELEASED] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. franky_li

franky_li

I also have the problem that fog doesn't work with LUX water

2. nu51313932

nu51313932

Hello BHS.
    I want to change to cloud moving direction. now it moves from right to left. how to make it move from left to right instead?

m_CloudsMaterial.SetFloat("_uCloudsMovementSpeed", (float)CloudSpeed*-1)

Is it okay to add *-1 like this? will it effected another part of Unistrom System

Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
  3. khushalkhan

khushalkhan

@BHS it might be unity issue but fire rain is colliding with environment collider & rain snow etc particles are not colliding with env, which seems wrong snowing inside rooms.. any idea what to tweak as i tried to copy settings from fire rain to snow etc but it not work

4. BHS

BHS

5. BHS

BHS

Yes, this is because UniStorm's fog is a post-processing effect that can't render over transparent objects like water. The best fix I have for this is to use both UniStorm's fog and Unity's fog, as Unity's fog can render over transparent objects.

This script will take the current color from UniStorm's fog and apply it to Unity's fog. The only drawback to this is that it doesn't take the color around the sun into account like the UniStorm Fog does. However, this still offers better results than not combining the two fog options.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using UnityEngine;
    4. namespace UniStorm
    5. {
    6.     public class UnityFogModifier : MonoBehaviour
    7.     {
    8.         private void Start()
    9.         {
    10.             StartCoroutine(Initialize());
    11.         }
    13.         IEnumerator Initialize ()
    14.         {
    15.             //Wait to initialize the Unity fog setting until after UniStorm has initialized
    16.             yield return new WaitUntil(()=> UniStormSystem.Instance.UniStormInitialized);
    17.             RenderSettings.fogMode = FogMode.ExponentialSquared;
    18.             RenderSettings.fog = true;
    19.         }
    21.         void Update()
    22.         {
    23.             //Set Unity's fog color to the current UniStorm fog color
    24.             RenderSettings.fogColor = UniStormSystem.Instance.m_UniStormAtmosphericFog.BottomColor;
    25.         }
    26.     }
    27. }
    LuxUniStormFogPartlyCloudy.png
    LuxUniStormFogStormy.png

hopeful and DarkRides like this.
  6. Anikki

Anikki

For anyone who runs into a crash when building a player on URP 12.1.10 with Unity 2021.3.18f or later (havent tested earlier versions), the crash can be fixed by removing the UniStorm RenderFeatures.

The crash reporter will says this:
    Code (text):
    1. Obtained 2 stack frames
    2. RtlLookupFunctionEntry returned NULL function. Aborting stack walk.
    3. <Missing stacktrace information>
    The relevant bits of the crash log are attached.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
  7. khushalkhan

khushalkhan

@BHS instead of finding audio mixer in resource folder by name would not be great if we have a serialized reference in unistorm inspector for audio mixer so that we can pass our own audio mixer as my game already have one, of course i have to follow the rules of how the audio mixer of unistorm is structured (master/weather etc)

8. drsalvation

drsalvation

Hey guys, working with Linux (I really am trying to make Linux work, I kinda don't want to go back to windows), but I'm seeing some odd issues with the Sun, it's being rendered on top of solid objects like the player...
    I'm worried there may be other graphical glitches like these in linux, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this same issue, and if so, how was it resolved?
    (This isn't an issue in Windows)

EDIT:
    I saw someone with a similar issue in the previous page
    Removing o.vertex.z = 1.0e-9f; from Unistorm Sun.shader and Unistorm Moon.shader seems to work, but I'm not sure if I should be doing this or not.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    weiboyuan likes this.
  9. LuiBroDood

LuiBroDood

is it possible to change the skybox during certain weathers ?

like behind the clouds ?

i have really nice sandstorm skybox images

10. TheLLspectre

TheLLspectre

Hello ! @BHS

This is asset is so lovely ! Damn !

But...

I'm still facing a huge issue... With our gorgeous friends, URP and Quest 2.

I tried lot of adjustement inside settings from Unity or Unistorm. I read all issues and post from this forum (page 116, 117, 118), issues tracker, unity issues.

And after three days I quit ...

So, if someone have a magix tricks, set or everything else... I'd take it.

On Unity 2021.3.10f
    To Android plateform
    To Oculus Quest 2 with openGLES 3

I read something with the blit command, and it's seems to be that. Because i'm facing to the OpenGL Plugin Error in the headset.

For now, the best i've found is to comment the Start() from UniStormClouds.cs

So i revert
    all the cloud's generation. And i can use Unistorm without this feature.

I'm gonna use this like that for now and I keep a github branch to test something if needed.

Attached Files:

11. ViaLobo

ViaLobo

Ok it seems like noone else ha this problem but... what are the parameters to ChangeWeatherInstantly? it says it needs a weather type - but there is no static types... i dont want to create custom weather i just want to "make it rain"...

12. sirleto

sirleto

Hello @BHS

unistorm seems to be the fastest clouds renderer today on unity and still beautiful, thanks for the good work!

i am trying to find out some basic details about unistorm that seem not to be documented anywhere.
    i am using unity 2021.2.17 on direct x 11, your Standard Demo on Built-in Render Pipeline.

1. how can i get unistorm to react ASAP to changes in the editor, e.g. weather cloud speed and turbulence, weather type: fog height, sun intensity, etc. etc. anything besides time and sun revolution seems not to be realtime / near realtime. whatever i change in playmode via sliders seems not to be applied until i leave and restart play mode. or maybe i need to change weather (back and forth once) or wait N seconds or anything?

2. Couds Shadows under Unistorm Volumetric Clouds seems not applied, i can not see any different between it being on or off. i seem to be able to see the screenspace effect on camera though. am i only confused, or why are there two ways for this? the mesh renderer is disabled per default inthe Standard Demo.

3. how can i change cloud types? e.g. strato cummulus, alto stratus, cirrocumulus, cumolonimbus, etc. can i achive this in some way? by ac ombination of settings including cloud profile and cloud height? itsnot clear if cloud height is the lower start of the cloud, or the upper height of the cloud. it is also not clear if its visible in the lower quality settings, or only on ultra with enough samples set for near and far.

4. generally its not clear what near samples does, far samples clearly show a difference between 10 (default) and 30, 50, 100. near samples (default 100) seem not to make any difference between the slider values of 100 to 200.

5. how can i make clouds "thicker" in regard to allowing more or less light to come through. somecloud types are thin and thus bright even from below, others are heavy and perhaps when mostly cloudy darkening the scene a lot but also dark them selves onthe under side.

6. the volumetric clouds look beautiful, but i dont understand if they are volumetric in such a way that we can fly through them with a airplane, oronly the renderingseems volumetric (path traced?) instead of flat (2D)? what do i need to configure / place / adjust to be able to fly through them?

thanks for your help and greetings from switzerland,
    sirleto

13. wechat_os_Qy0wOJiBqRSxX6DqwErDqbDOE

wechat_os_Qy0wOJiBqRSxX6DqwErDqbDOE

Hello @BHS
    For anyone who runs into a crash when building a player on URP 12.1.10 with Unity 2021.3.16f or later (havent tested earlier versions), the crash can be fixed by removing sun and moon of the UniStorm RenderFeatures.

The crash reporter will says this:
    Code (text):
    1. Obtained 2 stack frames
    2. RtlLookupFunctionEntry returned NULL function. Aborting stack walk.
    3. <Missing stacktrace information>

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
  14. wechat_os_Qy0wOJiBqRSxX6DqwErDqbDOE

wechat_os_Qy0wOJiBqRSxX6DqwErDqbDOE

Do you resolve it?

15. franky_li

franky_li

Hi @BHS
    I have an error with Unity 2021.3.24f1 PC SRP
    upload_2023-4-29_11-24-1.png

16. nu51313932

nu51313932

Hello BHS. How to decrease the size of the area when the moon light affeceted to the cloud. (Decrease the area to highlight the cloud)

upload_2023-5-2_2-22-28.png

And i have 2 problem need your help.
    1. there is the white out line around any of object when the Unistrom time is about 6-7 PM (after sunset)
    2. the sun have the out line. I wan to remove it.(you used to teach me the way to do it by changing the color of the sun material but it doesn't work)
    (you should fix the problems becasue it is the bug of the addon)
    if i can't fix these problem. I have to modify something of your asset and re-make as my own asset. (I don't wanna steal, lol)

Last edited: May 3, 2023
  17. CunningGrayFox

CunningGrayFox

Hey everyone,

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I've been working on a URP scene and with default Unity lighting and fog it looks pretty decent but when I add UniStorm I just can't get the parameters right. You can see with the Unity fog and lighting I can achieve a very light fog which cools the scene down but the directional light still provides a good amount of visibility and warmth; you can also see the mountains fairly well in the background. In the UniStrom example everything is extremely warm to the point of over saturation and the fog is so thick you can barely see the mountains; the houses in the foreground also lose the kind of foggy effect they have.

I've tried cooling down the tones on the celestial bodies, fog, and atmosphere elements. This did cool the scene down but also created poor visibility. I've tried playing with the fog settings in the gameobject and on the render pipeline and nothing seems to thin out the fog in the distance or add the foggy effect to closer objects.

I really want to make this work because of all the additional elements included with UniStorm that would be great to add in the scene but stylistically I'm having a lot of trouble getting the right vibe.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

18. dequevedo

dequevedo

Is it possible to fly through clouds?? Or are they always fixed above the camera?

19. OMGTOASTER

OMGTOASTER

Hello!

I am really enjoying this asset so far! However, I am running into an issue with a WebGL build (using URP of course). While in the editor everything appears fine, in the build it looks like the fog appears much closer, and the skybox is completely black. Changing the far clipping plane to a smaller value does seem to have a better effect for the fog, though the skybox remains black. I suspect the problem is with WebGL depth texture precision not being enough, at least with my current settings, though I could be wrong. Ideally, I would like to keep the larger values I had with the far clipping plane (well over 2000, max 5000), as it seems to be fine in the editor. Any suggested modifications I could make to the shader or render feature?

Thanks!

20. katerd

katerd

Was getting a crash on build with 2021.3.25f1 - turns out the
    if you go into UniStormSunShaftsFeature.cs, add an Obsolete tag to the sunTransform. This is a bit of hack.. but it'll prevent this field from being analyzed by the shader pre-compilation stuff Unity added recently, and you can keep the sun/moon shaft render features! This seems like a bug on Unity's side...

Code (CSharp):
    1. [Obsolete] // fix to prevent crash on build
    2. public Transform sunTransform;

dequevedo likes this.
  21. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Hi @BHS

i constantly get this error with Unity 2022.2.20f1 and UniStorm 5.3 ( also was getting the error with previous Unity versions )... How can get this fixed ?

Thanks !

upload_2023-5-20_13-30-49.png

22. KarelA

KarelA

Unity editor crashes when trying to make a build with the latest lts release. It is caused by sun and moonshafts on render features. If you remove them then it does not crash anymore

23. BHS

BHS

It looks like the Moon Shafts will need to be adjusted internally to resolve the slightly visible lines.

As for your other issue, you can decrease the intensity of the attenuation by adjusting the color:
    MoonIntensity.png

And you can adjust how far out the attenuation goes by using the following code (I'll add an option to adjust it within the editor when I get the chance):
    Code (CSharp):
    1. m_UniStormAtmosphericFog.SunFalloffIntensity = YourAmountf;

24. BHS

BHS

What is your Environmental Light Source? The fog can be decreased by adjusting each Weather Type's Fog Intensity.

As for things looking cooler, it looks like your Intensity Multiplier setting is lower than it was with your comparison screenshot. By default, UniStorm has this set at 0.25 for most of the day.
    Lighting1.png

You need to set this setting to what you have your Intensity Multiplier setting set to through UniStorm.
    Lighting2.png

25. BHS

BHS

Could you please provide a screenshot of the issue?

26. Arthur_Gentz

Arthur_Gentz

So the fog is volumetric too right? Since the clouds are volumetric.

27. BHS

BHS

I just released an update (v5.3.1) that should resolve the issue with Unity crashing on builds.

28. BHS

BHS

Have you tried a newer version of Unity? I cannot recreate this. I just tested UniStorm in Unity 2022.2.9 (and a few previous versions) and everything is working out any errors.

29. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Hi,
    i'm using Unity 2022.2.20f1 and i'm sure it did happen to some of the previous (2022.2.x) but more like 2022.2.15+ or so

30. KarelA

KarelA

Hi. Seems that vr single pass instanced is also broken on unity 2022.3

31. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

You can make changes at editor time right? like trying to change the time day/ cloud settings?

I tried the demo scene and wasn't able to make any changes to the cloud settings like partly cloudy.. .only the in game gui was making changes while at play time.. so how are you meant to tweak the scriptable object settings for the different cloud types without seeing those changes immediately and also while not being in playmode?

32. Adam_Benko

Adam_Benko

Hi. I am a developer of Space Reign. In our game, we have nebulas that are created with particle effects to simulate clouds. They look like this:
    They dont have a good performance though. I wonder, could Unistorm help me achieve these visuals as well ? With clouds big as 500km in the scene where player can fly through them. We need customizable color, transparency, size and complexity of the cloud.
    Thanks for the information.

Attached Files:

33. ANTEVETY

ANTEVETY

Same error in Unity 2022.3.0f1 and 2023.2.0a16 (Built-in RP UniStorm v5.3.1) . I don't understand how to fix
    ScreenShot_20230621124831.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 21, 2023
    Vagabond_ likes this.
  34. Furgl

Furgl

Hello!
    Is there any way to not have the fog affect the sky colors? I have terrain that loads in as you get closer, so I'd like to hide the edges of the terrain with fog to have it blend into the sky as it loads/unloads. However, the fog seems to cover up all of the sky colors, so I can't have thick fog without covering up the equator and sky colors:
    upload_2023-7-10_15-51-51.png

EDIT: It actually seems like the camera's clipping planes affects this for some reason. This is not the ideal solution for me though, because I need a reasonable clipping plane distance for performance:
    https://gyazo.com/a9911c0a3f5c7cb51171b128021c1688

Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
  35. Furgl

Furgl

Last edited: Jul 12, 2023
  36. nathanjoshuaburns

nathanjoshuaburns

Hi,
    Great asset, I have a use case I can’t figure out how to do.
    When the game launches I don’t want any weather effects as the player is in a menu.
    When the player starts a new or loaded game I do want weather effects. The player might then return to the main menu, at which point I don’t want weather effects.
    Ive tried launching the game with the UniStorm object disabled but that causes errors, I’ve tried deleting the UniStorm object and recreating but that doesn’t make the weather effects go away and also causes errors.

What’s the recommended way to do this?

Thanks
    Nathan

37. Furgl

Furgl

You could create a different scene for the main menu and for the gameplay and only have UniStorm in the gameplay scene.

38. SirEugen

SirEugen

Cool asset... But I cant' build it).
    Try to build VR demo scene, for Oculus 2, using OpenXR (vulkan), but take several errors at shaders.
    URP - 14.08
    Unity - 2022.3.3
    UniStorm - 5.3.1
    image.png

39. devorenge

devorenge

Hey @BHS ! I love this Asset! I find it crazy how it can make real-time lighting look so good out of the box.
    I'd love to use this in my project, but my world shape is.. unconventional. I have a halo-like world to which I'd like to add clouds.

Is this possible with this asset or will I need to resort to a custom solution?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2023
    laja likes this.
  40. Donkeynutzzz

Donkeynutzzz

Jumping back into game making after a long hiatus so please bear with me. Im trying to make a weather controller to go along with Unistorm. All of MyWeathertypes match Unistorms. My issue is when trying to call the specific weathertype thru unistorm. for example:

case WeatherTypeData.MyWeatherType.Clear:
    return UniStorm.WeatherType.Clear;

the return line throws an error saying WeatherType does not contain a definition for 'Clear'. What should i be putting on the Unistorm line?

Also is there a way to Set the unistorm temp. Like entering a different zone and i would like to gradually change the temp towards the desired range?

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 8, 2023
  41. Marek_Bakalarczuk

Marek_Bakalarczuk

Is it possible to go through clouds?

42. kev345252

kev345252

Good day all.

I'm having the same issue, I can't stop precipitation from happening inside my buildings.

I went through this thread the last hour or so, but the the solutions given don't work for me, such as changing the collision quality to high.

In the main indoors area in my open world game, it has multiple levels of colliders above where the player is rendered. But I can't get the rain/snow etc to stop falling underneath these, or inside buildings. Even if I make a big cube with box colliders above the player, it doesn't stop the particles. I also tried changing the materials of the blocking objects to Unistorm Global Weather shaders, but that didn't work. The only thing I can think of to do is to trigger a script that stops the weather when the player enters a building, but that seems extreme, and it'd look great to see the weather outside when in the buildings through the windows.

Any suggestions? I'm using 2022.3.5f1 (LTS) and URP. Besides this one issue, loving my weather in game.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2023
    khushalkhan likes this.
  43. Donkeynutzzz

Donkeynutzzz

Gaia has a Interior Weather Volume that i believe you can use for cases like this. Maybe @BHS has something like that?

44. khushalkhan

khushalkhan

honestly i deleted the package from project because the users are very picky if the see snow inside room they gonna rate the game one star which is very bad.

45. mendozaa265

mendozaa265

Hi! Bumping this as I'm having the same issues. This is particularly in URP though. There's definitely issues with the render features, particularly the atmospheric fog one. If you turn that on and have VR enabled you will get nothing but grey in the left eye and black in the right. It looks like that's a known issue that has been getting fixes so I'm trying to see if there's tweaks I can make to get something. I'm mainly trying to get the clouds to render.

46. xald

xald

How do I get the same quality of Demo 5.0 (below) in Unity 2202.3.6F URP (above)
    Adaptive sky (adapted to sun color - time etc.)
    Fog, light shafts, volumetrics etc.

upload_2023-8-26_1-18-59.png

47. Ravl

Ravl

yeah the URP version was always broken.. i was never able to have correct fog or sun rays and the dev ignores my emails... or all of us who are complaining here

48. ChangYou0805

ChangYou0805

Hello, I would like to ask UniStorm, how to set up in VR

49. kev345252

kev345252

Ugh. I guess the best I can do is use a script to change the weather to sunny any time a player walks in the building, and I'll work this into the lore/setting of the game somehow to explain why it works like this in my 'Always Sunny Bar'.

Hmmm one more idea though, if I do another layer of terrain far above the building I wonder if that'll prevent the precipitation...

50. Donkeynutzzz

Donkeynutzzz

Does anyone know what i can use to call a weathertype directly?
    Could you just make a box trigger, and set to destroy particles on trigger?