Search Unity

[RELEASED] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. NathanHolt

NathanHolt

Hey BHS, I noticed an issue where the UniStormWindZone.windMain never changes in WindFadeSequence after the first TransitionWeather call.

This is because the CurrentWindIntensity is only set in InitializeWeather via the Start function call chain and never in the Update function call chain. This means that the check in TransitionWeather for the Wind will always be compared to the same CurrentWindIntensity value, and in my case, since Heavy Snow is my first WeatherType (Wind Intensity of 1), the WindFadeSequence where FadeOut is true is never hit.

This can be fixed various ways, like instead of using CurrentWindIntensity in TransitionWeather, UniStormWindZone.windMain could be used instead, or if CurrentWindIntensity is the preferred method of tracking things, then it could be set to CurrentWeatherType.WindIntensity after the //Wind conditionals (or even set in WindFadeSequence to the MaxValue). I am sure there are more ways to resolve this. The issue has been around since at least 10/20/2020, I am currently using the latest version (at this time) 5.0.1.

I encountered this while hooking UniStorm to Crest and was wondering why my waves were not stormy during windy weather.

Thanks for an amazing product.

2. Donkeynutzzz

Donkeynutzzz

Extremely new to Unity. Learning as I go but I'm not sure where to look for the answer. I have unistorm setup in my first level. Pretty much all stock values. When my player dies and I reload the scene, it starts the time over from when the scene originally started and the lighting disappears. Im looking to keep the time and temp values flowing as if the scene wasn't reloaded.. I'm sure it's an easy fix, but like I said I'm not sure what to look for.

I also have an issue in my character creator scene where the sky is all white and shows no weather at all.

Thanx in advance.

Edit: Figured it out sort of. It reloads the time and temp but the lighting still disappears.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  3. zippin

zippin

Oh, and did I mention, because I played with UniStorm URP and sent him the changes @BHS sent me a voucher for Emerald AI. How cool is that! Thank you man, you are awesome!

Felixsg likes this.
  4. MedaLka

MedaLka

Hey BHS. I faced such a problem when launching a mobile game (Android) with this asset: my skybox is flickering or is it just black. In the logcat I saw the following multiple error:

Invalid pass number (1) for Graphics.Blit (Material "(Unknown material)" with 1 passes).

I attach screenshots of the sky.
    Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Attached Files:

5. fendercodes

fendercodes

What's the status on this? We're using UniStorm in URP and it'd be nice to get some image effects that change whilst the weather changes without having to code that all ourselves.

6. zippin

zippin

As far as I know the creator said that he is going to be working on this as soon as he had published Emerald AI 3.0, and it has been some time since that happened, so hopefully soon.

7. Viewzoom

Viewzoom

Hi zippin, why I cant find the cloud shadow, fog and sun shaft render features like yours.

Attached Files:

8. zippin

zippin

Sorry but I am not a developer of this asset, I was just way too excited to wait for the developer to move those features to URP and did it myself, then showed it to you guys and sent the code to the developer. I guess he is still working on this maybe fixing for other versions of Unity and URP (I did this only for 2019.4 LTS and URP 7.5.3 - I think I got the URP version right). And there are probably some corner cases and bugs to fix. Hope this answers your question.

9. fendercodes

fendercodes

Thanks. Hopefully the developer can update us with his status.

10. GCatz

GCatz

11. Migueljb

Migueljb

In the Weather tab under Cloud Quality. How do I double the resolution from the Ultra setting? Where in the code can I change the volumetric cloud setting so I see the clouds at an even higher resolution or ways that I can modify their look as needed. This is for screenshots and videos not for real time so fps doesn't matter here.

12. Lagstruck

Lagstruck

Hey,
    Looking to purchase UniStorm and was wondering if it works with Gaia Pro and MicroSplat?

13. Aress28

Aress28

Is there anything i can do to make those plants look not so dark?
    I like Unistorm :D but those settings for me is just Nightmare :D

Attached Files:

14. GDI_Commando

GDI_Commando

Hey, this may be quite the noob question but is there a way to call an update if the camera switches to a different camera during runtime? I've had a Google for it but either I'm missing it or phrasing it wrong.

15. Farlandsky

Farlandsky

Hi. I am trying to figure out how to tune the stars. If I need my own stars, my own sky map, how can I do it?

16. fendercodes

fendercodes

Bump. Where is the developer? We're not getting any support.

17. Aress28

Aress28

is there any integration with Microsplat for rain/Snow?

18. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone,

My apologies for the delayed response here on the forums. Email is the best form of contact for quicker support. I will work on responding to everyone within the next day.

With that being said, UniStorm 5.1.0 is live on the Asset Store! This update adds URP support for versions of Unity 2019.4.9 and higher. For a tutorial on getting UniStorm setup with URP, please follow the tutorial here: https://github.com/Black-Horizon-Studios/UniStorm-Weather-System/wiki/Setting-up-UniStorm-with-URP

PutridEx, Markklarsen, GCatz and 4 others like this.
  19. Markklarsen

Markklarsen

Maybe it's just me, but with the new UniStorm 5.1.0 URP, the clouds don't work, but if i just don't import Unistorm Weather System > Materials > Clouds (folder/ materials in there "UniStorm Cloud Layer and UniStorm Volumetric Clouds"), when i import the URP support the clouds works.

Just if anyone have the same problem as me.

mattxreality likes this.
  20. QJaxun

QJaxun

Same here. Using Unity 2021.28 with URP 11. No clouds or moon/stars after updating to 5.1. Also seems to add the render features to my URP renderer every time I import which cannot be removed.

21. Markklarsen

Markklarsen

You can just import the original Weather System > Materials > Celestial > (Unistorm Moon.mat and Unistorm Stars.mat) or just don't import the materials when you import URP support.

22. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Hey @BHS , i've a quick question. I've noticed that both sun and moon lights cast shadows at the same time... Is this the correct behavior of the system and does it impact game performance !?

23. QJaxun

QJaxun

Thanks, the old ones work fine for me as well.

24. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the bug reports with the 5.1.0 update and URP. I will get an update out to fix things asap.

NEPS and mattxreality like this.
  25. Markklarsen

Markklarsen

Hey @BHS can you also check the urp cloud shadows? i cant get them working i have tried in 2020 and 2021.

26. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

27. GCatz

GCatz

to fix the clouds in urp just change in UniStorm Cloud Layer.mat
    to m_ShaderKeywords: _ALPHAPREMULTIPLY_ON

vincurekf likes this.
  28. fendercodes

fendercodes

29. vincurekf

vincurekf

I am just trying to get the clouds to work in URP, can you please tell me where should i change this?

EDIT: Got it, open the .mat file in editor, it's on line number 12. So easy fix. Thank you!
    EDIT2: But now it renders over terrain and other 3D objects without depth, turning the cloud shadows off fixes it.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  30. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

At least not in more recent Unity versions. Unity broke the old cmd.Blit for VR use during 2020 cycle. Unity 2019 is probably still fine in VR SPI but versions after it will just output grey screen for left eye and black screen for right eye.

And yes, I verified UniStorm 5.1 still being broken on recent URP versions while SPI mode is enabled (meaning it is not atm using the workaround needed for this to work in VR properly), hence asking the dev if support is considered.

31. QJaxun

QJaxun

One more thing, I can't find a way to disable atmospheric fog being rendered in the scene view.

32. zippin

zippin

I got it to work in "single pass instanced" mode with 2019.4 LTS but haven't tried the package that @BHS published.
    @rz_0lento yes you are right I was not able to get SPI to work in 2020, and since I am using 2019.4 LTS I just did not bother It looks like you have found a way that it should be implemented for 2020 but in my mind that should be another one of those fix/upgrade packages (of course included in the main package).

33. fendercodes

fendercodes

Weather Maker also doesn't seem to support VR SPI in URP so I'm guessing it's the same reason. So there's just a new way to do things? Or there's a bug Unity need to fix?

34. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Here's the staff response written to the issuetracker (https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...sing-single-pass-instanced-and-render-feature):
    Only way to get this fixed atm is if asset publishers move to the cmd.DrawMesh workaround. Unity itself uses the cmd.DrawMesh on their URP SSAO which is pretty strong indication this being the direction they will stay at in the future too.

pierre92nicot likes this.
  35. jjxtra

jjxtra

[Facepalm] Why can't Unity just make Blit work... thanks for the thread everyone, apologies for the bugs.

fendercodes likes this.
  36. Spikebor

Spikebor

Just bought on sale. I hope we have a discord so that users can support each other while the developer is busy.

37. MagiJedi

MagiJedi

Can we get an official word on ETA for SPI VR support for 2020+?

38. narendranj

narendranj

HI, when can we expect HDRP support of your beautiful clouds?

39. loconeko73

loconeko73

Hi, I just purchased UniStorm and I am unable to set it up correctly. I have followed the instructions, but even in the demo scene the Camera & Player Settings is just not there, the inspector has an empty space instead of it and shows the Sun, Moon and Atmosphere settings only.
    I'm on 2021.2.0f1 on Linux

40. KingKRoecks

KingKRoecks

What's the current state of XR support? When I attempt to load this up into my URP project, I'm getting white/black screens for the eyes.

41. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

42. francy11

francy11

Hi, why the rain falls only in a specific place in the map and doesn't follow the player? (unity 2020.3 and URP)

43. loconeko73

loconeko73

Any news on this ? I can confirm this is Linux-specific (I can see the settings on Windows, same Unity version)
    My Linux box is my main dev rig and I'd like to see UniStorm work on it.
    I can see no log reporting an error...
    Any help appreciated

44. Anikki

Anikki

I've been trying to get UniStorm and Crest (or any transparent material) to play nice together using URP, but I can't seem to find a way to make UniStorm's atmospheric fog to compose nicely over the transparency without ending up clipped by the opaque meshes behind them. I've tried messing with the render Queue and ordering the Render Passes differently. How can i get this to work? Standard Unity fog works fine. Is it even possible?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  45. loconeko73

loconeko73

OK, I found a solution for my issue of the disappearing UI. I wrongly assumed it was due to Linux specifically, it's not. To display its UI, UniStorm relies on Screen.dpi, which is not always available nor correct (https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Screen-dpi.html) mine simply returned 0, which didn't work since it's in a division.
    To circumvent the issue, one can replace Screen.dpi everywhere (6 occurrences) it appears in Scripts > Editor > UniStormEditor.cs by a value that makes sense for the display on which UniStorm is used. You could also Serialize it to make it tweak-able, making it only a minor annoyance.
    I hope this helps someone :)
    Finally able to use this awesome asset !

46. CurryKitten

CurryKitten

I seem to have some weirdness on Unity 2020 with Unistorm. I was just transitioning my project from 2018 to 2020 and was first getting odd results with the clouds being very small. I noticed there was an update for Unistorm so gave it a whirl, and the result it that I don't get clouds... sometimes.

As an example, here's my Unity 2018 build running with "mostly clear" as the weather at midday

Screenshot 2021-11-30 at 23.05.09.jpg

This all looks very normal and I note that I can see the generated hemisphere in the editor and we also seem to have a texture for the Unistorm cloud layer shader. If I run the same code on Unity 2020 I see this

Screenshot 2021-11-30 at 23.05.52.jpg

No clouds, no hemisphere and no texture in the shader. Weather the texture should be there is another question. Weirdly this isn't the case with everything. Mostly clear, partly cloudy and mostly cloudy give this result, but if I go to Cloudy then I get clouds. But they don't look right - they look smaller as if thery were way higher up and so seem to tile over the screen much more to fill it.

To update, I used the update option in the package manager and then imported the default - I'm assuming it only updates files that it knows are different. Any idea what's going on here ?

47. StenCG

StenCG

Hey, everybody.
    Does anyone experience strange behavior sun shafts and haze in URP VR?
    The angle of shafts has a strong dependence on the rotation of the camera, the haze also horizontally shifts following the camera and without tilt (the horizon lines of the scene and the fog diverge).

Also there isn't any problem in URP without VR, I followed setting up guide
    UniStorm 5.1
    Unity 2021.2.3 + URP 12.1.1
    Windows 10 20H2
    Mixed Reality (latest updates) + OpenXR 1.2.8

48. zippin

zippin

Sun shafts need camera location, if I remember correctly you probably need to add Main Camera tag.

49. StenCG

StenCG

already have, and player tag too

50. zippin

zippin

Sorry for that, I haven't been in that code for a couple of months and I am typing this from the top of my head.
    Have you tried to debug. Search for "
    stereoTargetEye" and "StereoTargetEyeMask" or where it sets the MainCamera in UniStorm code and debug, it should be fairly easy to fix. The good thing is that creator of the asset gave us a full source code.