Search Unity

[RELEASED] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. franky_li

franky_li

@BHS

I have a problem with _WetnessStrength in the latest version. When I start with Rain or Reavy Rain weather _WetnessStrength is set to 1.0, but when I start with a dry weather like Mostly Cloudy and switch then in the Unistorm GUI to Rain or Heavy Rain the value will only raise to max. 0.1. Any idea whats going on there?

2. franky_li

franky_li

Ok, I found and fixed it.
    In UniStormSystem.cs line 2728 I changed:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. LerpValue = Mathf.Lerp(CurrentValue, MaxValue, t / TransitionTime) * 0.1f;
    To:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. LerpValue = Mathf.Lerp(CurrentValue, MaxValue, t / TransitionTime);

3. Alfred_c

Alfred_c

Hi there,

Any information on UniStorm compatibility with the URP?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  4. BHS

BHS

Thanks, I'll add this to the 4.2 updated.

5. BHS

BHS

Hey there. I haven't had a chance to test this out, but after I've submitted 4.2, I will look into URP.

RagingJacob likes this.
  6. magique

magique

@BHS Can you add a setting to specify the update frequency of the time of day? Right now it looks so obvious in a condensed day cycle seeing the shadows moving across the landscape. Typically in a game the cycle is only updated about every 5 seconds. If you're looking for the sudden change then it's obvious, but if you aren't then it's not noticeable whereas with continuous updating it's always obvious.

7. nu51313932

nu51313932

In the future, will you add volumetric cloud (not fix in the sky box but can put in the mesh and put anywhere in the scene) and volumetric fog?

patek_ likes this.
  8. yuanjiayu0428

yuanjiayu0428

Hi, man, I'd like to know how to change the sunrise and sunset according to the real time?

9. patek_

patek_

I was just going to ask the same thing. Im trying to set up a top down view in VR of the city i come from. It would be awesome if you could place your player above the clouds to further push the immersion. And your cloud system looks perfect for this !
    And does someone have any recommendations how to limit the field of view with weather effects? Thanks everyone in advance and sorry for newbish questions.

10. Tactics_IT

Tactics_IT

@BHS Is there any time line yet in the release of 4.2?

11. BHS

BHS

I have plans to make the clouds fly through, but I don't plan on changing the way the clouds are drawn with movable meshes. 4.2 will add atmospheric fog and I plan on adding volumetric fog at some point in a future update.

12. BHS

BHS

I've had a few recommendations for this and it has already been added to the upcoming version 4.2.

magique likes this.
  13. BHS

BHS

Hey there. Are you referring to using Real-world time for UniStorm's time? You just need to enable real-world time under the Time tab.
    Real-WorldTime.png

14. nu51313932

nu51313932

I see. I just ask. Bty. Will 4.2 version be release?

15. BHS

BHS

I will be submitting version 4.2 sometime this week.

nu51313932 likes this.
  16. LearnTry

LearnTry

I have an error when start play in unity2019.3.0f6
    A multisampled texture being bound to a non-multisampled sampler. Disabling in order to avoid undefined behavior. Please use Texture2DMS in the shader.

17. Tactics_IT

Tactics_IT

@BHS would there be anyway of geting an early release of 4.2? Have a project that is using it and trying to get it into the testing state this week. Timing would be great to get a little more performance out of your package . I can message you my order number to verify I purchased it.

18. BHS

BHS

19. neshius108

neshius108

@BHS: I finally found the culprit. Here is how to reproduce it:

Scene: Change Weather Event Example

Steps:
    Import latest UniStorm version in empty new project
    1. Player/Camera: Set "Field of View" to 22.5 (this makes it much more evident)
    3. Set initial weather (or change it) to Cloudy and Time to 4AM
    4. Notice the ugly artifacts on the clouds

Note: To make the effect worse, try to jump around times a bit (I noticed that if the previous time was daytime then the next run it's back to night, the effect is even more evident)

Screenshots:
    upload_2020-3-5_16-15-30.png
    upload_2020-3-5_16-14-32.png
    upload_2020-3-5_16-14-45.png
    upload_2020-3-5_16-14-53.png

Without the clouds, everything looks really smooth but the clouds make the whole sky look really bad.

Let me know what else I can do to help!

20. BHS

BHS

Thanks for the screenshots. I'm not sure why the temporal reprojection is so apparent with your screenshots, but my clouds don't look like that, even zoomed up.

What you are seeing the temporal reprojection, which most clouds systems use. What this does is make the cloud buffer update over the course of multiple frames, instead of every frame which would kill frame rate. This is a very common technique for rendering volumetric clouds, but may produce very small, brief artifacts.

How else can I reproduce this issue as I cannot get my clouds to look like yours? If you are pausing the scene and zooming up on the clouds right on start before they can fully initialize then that would be why you can see the clouds with apparent artifacts. This process should take more than a second or two to initialize.

CloudScreenshot.png

21. nu51313932

nu51313932

Have you set the camera object and the player object in UniStromSystem object?

22. neshius108

neshius108

@BHS: Thanks for the reply!
    So, the most evident and painful setup is when the game was stopped during the day and then it gets restarted during nighttime. As you can see the whole sky becomes extremely white and it takes around 4/5 seconds on my side (in the Editor, so perhaps a bit faster during build).

And this happens even if I have this:

upload_2020-3-6_21-14-43.png

Which makes no sense, since there are no clouds from beginning to end.

Would there be a way to fade in/out the clouds mesh at startup? Would that solve this issue?

Btw, any update on custom shader for the clouds? Just checking :p

EDIT: Anyway, here is what I get when I start my scene:

It's a bit too much to handle even if it is just for few seconds. (And this happens on Clear weather, so I cannot move the clouds height either. What can I do about that?)

For more info:

- Windows 10
    - GTX 1070
    - Unity 2019.3.3f1

Happens also on a clean new project with nothing changed: So it cannot be the project settings or some custom script.
    What else could I check for you?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  23. BHS

BHS

Strange, the clouds are set on Start so they shouldn't be visible if you are using the Clear weather type. They also shouldn't be white like that. Are you receiving any errors? What do you mean by stopping during the day and restarting at night?

It would be easier if you could just PM me a bare-bones project with a scene where the issue is present so I can see what's happening because I cannot recreate any of this on my end.

24. nu51313932

nu51313932

I have this issue too.
    It happen when the game start looks like the cloud separate from group and it assemble after start the game about 3 minutes

neshius108 likes this.
  25. neshius108

neshius108

@BHS : I sent you a PM already with the project (it's really basic as I didn't need to do anything to make it happen)

26. BHS

BHS

I still can't seem to recreate your issue, even using the project you sent. The clouds initialize with about 3 seconds and don't look anything like in your screenshots.

Are you receiving any errors? What version of Unity are you using? What platform are you using?

27. BHS

BHS

Is it possible for you to send me a project with a scene of this issue present so I can recreate it? How are you assigning your player to UniStorm? Are you receiving any errors?

28. nu51313932

nu51313932

Sure. I will send it soon.
    //I have' ve edited the issue description. The cloud assemble after 3 seconds not 3 minutes.

29. neshius108

neshius108

@BHS:

As posted before:

For more info:

- Windows 10
    - GTX 1070
    - Unity 2019.3.3f1

No errors whatsoever and exactly the same version as in the store.

Have you tried changing the time between night and day between restarts? That makes it even more evident.

30. HeathNorton

HeathNorton

Hello. I've been using Unistorm 4.1 for a while now and I am very impressed with it. There are just a couple things that I am having a problem with. 1) The cloud shadows don't seem to work. 2) Is there a way to make the sky a deeper shade of blue? I've tried changing the sky tint and even making a different skybox, but nothing seems to work.

Thanks,

Heath

31. hhvod

hhvod

使用了这个插件
    Game Kit Controller 3.02e
    UNITY版本为2019.2
    为什么云层为这样显示? QQ图片20200313172114.png QQ图片20200313172259.png

32. geralex

geralex

How can fix it?

A multisampled texture being bound to a non-multisampled sampler. Disabling in order to avoid undefined behavior. Please use Texture2DMS in the shader.
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

33. nu51313932

nu51313932

I have this error on my project too. I read on issue tracker .They told that it is a bug of 2019.3.

I have no idea how to solve this bug.

34. jrock84

jrock84

@BHS

Hey man, just wanted to tell you I love Unistorm and great work!

Part of that love has me wanting to move over to HDRP, which I've already done honestly(haha), and wanted to fully utilize Unistorm in that light. Do you have plans to support HDRP in the near future? Unity has made major strives with it in recent releases.

Thanks!

35. neshius108

neshius108

Hey @BHS, got any updates on the clouds issue?

36. BHS

BHS

Hey there, my apologies for the late reply. What specifically isn't working with the cloud shadows? By default, the intensity is relatively low. Try increasing the Cloud Shadow Intensity, which is done per weather type. A cloud shadow image effect should also be applied to your camera.

Yes, you can adjust the tint of the sky using the Sky Color and Sky Tint Color under the Atmosphere Settings. This is done for each time of day so ensure you are adjusting the proper color element.

37. BHS

BHS

This issue was fixed with version 4.1.1. What version are you using?

38. BHS

BHS

I've recently looked into HDRP support and it still isn't possible without having to completely rewrite all of UniStorm's shaders. I believe this is why a lot of other similar assets haven't added HDRP support yet.

39. BHS

BHS

I've looked into your issue and I cannot recreate it. I've tried several times with the same version of Unity and the same settings you had. If possible, could you please send me a video of the issue happening?

40. batonPiotr

batonPiotr

@BHS
    Hi, I've bought your asset several days ago for my mobile project.

The clouds are working as expected in iOS but Android has an issue with the clouds.
    The clouds seem to be scaled by some odd factor and I cannot find the source of it.

I'm using Unity 2019.3.0f5.
    I thought my settings in my fairly complex project would interfere so I've created a new project, imported the asset and compiled it and the same issue occurred. The only thing I'm setting is the forward rendering in the main camera.

Here the screenshot:
    Screenshot_2020-03-31-22-24-30-141_com.DefaultCompany.UniStormMobileTest.png

41. Astaelan1

Astaelan1

@BHS Back to working on environment, I've run into a couple issues that might be related to newer Unity, I'm not sure.

First, I added the two Aurora weather types, and the shader appears to be broken, I'm getting nothing but pink textures when they show up. Looking at the Aurora material, it shows pink.

The second issue I've run into recently, is the sun shafts for both sun and moon don't appear to be working, just no effect at all.

Daytime:

Night:

I should note I'm using URP if that has any impact on this? Everything else seems to be working good (except maybe Fog, but I haven't looked into this enough yet, dust storms work but I don't seem to see any other fog like effects).

Thanks for your time.

Update (04/14)

I have moved up to using 2020.1.0b5 (to start using UIToolkit at runtime) with the same problems occurring. I suspect the use of URP is part of the issue at least as it relates to postprocessing (not seeing sunshafts?) since postprocessing is being deprecated in favor of the built in URP postprocessing.
    This might also have something to do with the aurora shader coming out pink. This pipeline transition has not been smooth across the board. I might start digging into debugging this myself.
    Before I do, if anyone is successfully using UniStorm with URP could you please confirm anything you did to get the sunshafts and auroras working, thank you.

I read back a bit and saw a response about URP saying it would be looked into, so I can confirm most of UniStorm works with URP out of the box. So far it's just the sunshafts due to the way postprocessing has changed I think that don't work, and the Aurora shader issue may or may not be related.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  42. Tornado77

Tornado77

Hi, I'm thinking about buying Unitstorm but I'm not sure if it supports HDRP yet. If no, do you think about upgrading it to HDRP?

43. batonPiotr

batonPiotr

@BHS Could you look into my issue? I cannot solve it by myself and need help on this one.

44. Astaelan1

Astaelan1

@BHS We haven't heard from you in a couple weeks, and before people start to get stir crazy waiting, I just wanted to say I hope you and your family and doing well through this pandemic and I hope that your absence isn't due to being sick.
    Thanks for your hard work on UniStorm, it's still my goto asset for environment years later. Hope to hear from you soon.

45. BHS

BHS

Hey there. My apologies for the delayed response.

This is the first time I've seen this, but I will look into why this might be happening. When you imported UniStorm into a new project, was this directly from the Asset Store or did you copy it from your other project? It seems like the base scale on the cloud material might have been changed. Can you please confirm that the _uCloudsBaseScale variable on the UniStorm Volumetric Clouds material is set to 1.72?

46. BHS

BHS

Hey there, my apologies for the delayed response.

I haven't had the chance to see how compatible UniStorm is with URP. The pink material you are seeing in place of the aurora shader means there's an error with it, most likely related to URP. Viewing the shader file itself within Unity should tell you the error. I will have to import UniStorm into URP and see what exactly needs to be fixed.

47. BHS

BHS

Thank you for your concern and checking up. My family and I are all healthy, but everything got a little hectic for a few weeks. I'm getting back into the swing of things and I am now actively working on addressing issues and getting version 4.2 out. I appreciate everyone's patience and understanding.

Akshara and Rotary-Heart like this.
  48. nu51313932

nu51313932

I can be patience. But don't catch the Corona virus.I don't want my game broken by unfinished asset:(

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  49. Astaelan1

Astaelan1

I'm glad you're doing well, good to see you back.
    I figured the issue most likely was with URP, I couldn't find anything in the shader itself. Usually there is some list of errors, but in this case it's just a warning in one spot about a property being in a different cbuffer, images always speak better so here is all I see on the shader:

And here is the Aurora Material:

I have looked through all the shaders in UniStorm and haven't found errors on any of them. And for what it's worth, seems like everything else so far is working with URP except the SunShafts, which I think is probably related to the URP change in how post processing works (everything is enabled, and the sunshaft scripts are there at runtime, but it just has no effect).

50. batonPiotr

batonPiotr

Thanks for the response!

I have checked the value and it was set to 1. When I set it back to 1.72 it will be reseted as soon I enter the play mode. When I tested this on both projects, the asset was downloaded directly from the asset store in both cases. Strangely I didn't touch this value before and it looked correct in editor and on iOS build. Only Android seems to have issues.