Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[70% OFF!] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Pandur1982

Pandur1982

Hello, at first thx for that great Update, i have test it out and have a littel Problem.

Over the Head my Player have littel Artefacts, how can i fix that Problem?

2. BHS

BHS

Thanks for all the information and suggestions for the lightning. I'll see what I can do. :) I also would like to add auroras, but this will most likely come after the lightning is redone.

Stormy102 likes this.
  3. BHS

BHS

Thanks for the information and screenshot. I will look into this and find out what's causing the issue with single pass.

4. BHS

BHS

Hey there,

This happens when your camera's near clipping plane is too small or if you have large far clipping plane distances. If you need to have a large far clipping plane (for example 20,000), make sure your near clipping plane is set to at least 0.2. For everything else, just marginally adjust the near clipping to find a value that works for your camera's far clipping plane. UniStorm doesn't need a large far clipping plane like it used to with version 3.0.

Adrad likes this.
  5. Erelos

Erelos

Have used Unistorm for several years. It's an awesome product. I'm trying to use it currently in 2019.1.4f1 and there are a couple of issues. So far : Raindrop splashes are not visible; fog is not working (at least not like it used to); random environmental sounds (time of day sounds) are not playing except a single one all the time (Gust1). I deleted the folder and re-imported it twice. Still same issues. Has 2019.1.4 broken UniStorm ? Or is there something I missed in the set up?

6. BHS

BHS

I've tested UniStorm up to Unity 2019.1.3 without any issues, even with test imports directly from the Asset Store. I'm assuming that version 2019.1.4 shouldn't be too different. What version of UniStorm are you using? Version 4.0 had an issue with some of the system prefabs, but I fixed it with version 4.0.1.

As for the fog, the fog functions the same. Double check that it's enabled.If you are in deferred rendering, you will need to use Unity's Image Effects. It is controllable through weather types rather than through the UniStorm Editor. Raindrop splashes are faint. Adjusting their color brighter should make them visible.

Is this issue happening in one of the demo scenes or using Window>UniStorm>Create Weather System? Are you receiving any errors?

7. Erelos

Erelos

Thanks for the quick response. I updated from the asset store tab in the project and it downloaded the latest version of UniStorm on 5/23/2019 (so it should be 4.01 ? I think). I'll download it again just to be certain. There was no previous UniStorm in the project. I imported it into a test project and tried it there with a terrain, a 3rd person toon, a lake and not much else. It's a pretty high end Windows 10 machine so I don't think that is the problem. I used the default Weather System with the package. Haven't tried to create one yet.

I am using deferred rendering and I must have missed something about the Unity Image Effects. I'll try that. And I'll try making the splashes brighter. And I'll try to create a Weather System. Thanks for the guidance.

Update: fog is fine - OMG I didn't attach the Image Effects to the camera *sigh. Random environmental sounds except for "Gust" don't seem to work no matter what time it is. Still working on trying to make the raindrop splashes show.

And I neglected to say in my original post the sky effects and colors and shading and reflections they produce on clouds and bodies of water with changing time are AMAZING AND JUST ABSOLUTELY FREAKIN BEAUTIFUL - super nice job on that!!

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  8. BHS

BHS

The current version is 4.0.1. I just tested the Unity 2019 version and the time of day sounds all work. It's worth noting that each time of day sounds list has the wind gusts so this might be why it appears as if the sounds are not changing. Have you double checked to see if there are sounds applied to each of the time of day sound lists?

Thanks, it's great to hear that you like the new cloud system. Yes, the clouds reflect off of the water by default. :)

9. Astaelan1

Astaelan1

@BHS

I have another, really simple feedback, this one I even tested with my own script, since UniStorm was very easy to work with on this.

I think there needs to be a curve to control the Ambient Intensity of the lighting as transitioning between day and night. SpeedTree's will not look right without at least an ambient of 1 during the day (1.25 looks even a bit better for them). Meanwhile, you can't have that high of ambient at night, nothing higher than 0.25 looks reasonable for trees and other rocks and details.
    So I made this really basic script to test the idea, and it works surprisingly well, I'll post a couple screenshots and the script at the end, but it would look even better during the transition if it was controllable via a curve like the other UniStorm settings.

DayTime with Ambient 1.0:

Night with Ambient 0.0:

Ambient 0.5 around 6:30am:

And here are some images of why it's an issue to be fixed... this is ambient 0.0 during the day:

And this is ambient 1.0 at night:

Here is the basic script which transitions from 0.0 to 1.0 during 6am->7am and from 1.0 to 0.0 during 6pm->7pm:

Code (CSharp):
    2. using System;
    3. using System.Collections;
    4. using System.Collections.Generic;
    5. using UniStorm;
    6. using UnityEngine;
    8. public class AmbientIntensityByTime : MonoBehaviour
    9. {
    10.     public float currentIntensity;
    11.     // Start is called before the first frame update
    12.     void Start()
    13.     {
    14.     }
    16.     // Update is called once per frame
    17.     void Update()
    18.     {
    19.         if (UniStormSystem.Instance.Hour == 6) // transition from intensity 0 to 1 between 6am and 7am
    20.         {
    21.             currentIntensity = 0.016f * UniStormSystem.Instance.Minute;
    22.         }
    23.         else if (UniStormSystem.Instance.Hour >= 7 && UniStormSystem.Instance.Hour < 18) // intensity 1
    24.         {
    25.             currentIntensity = 1.0f;
    26.         }
    27.         else if (UniStormSystem.Instance.Hour == 18) // transition from intensity 1 to 0 between 6pm and 7pm
    28.         {
    29.             currentIntensity = 1.0f - (0.016f * UniStormSystem.Instance.Minute);
    30.         }
    31.         else // intensity 0
    32.         {
    33.             currentIntensity = 0.0f;
    34.         }
    35.         RenderSettings.ambientIntensity = currentIntensity;
    36.     }
    37. }

Akshara likes this.
  10. BettoSan

BettoSan

I'm working with Unity 2018.2.21, Post-processing V2, anti-aliasing SMAA. I can not fix this effect, marked on the image. This dotted texture remains for 30 seconds, but the shadow in the texture of the tree continues.

Unistorm 4.0.1

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  11. BHS

BHS

Thanks for the feedback and the script! I’ll most likely add an Ambient Intensity graph, similar to the other graph variables, with the 4.1 update.

Adjusting the Environment Reflections can also help with having more control over the brightness of your environment. This is located under Celestial Settings>Environment Settings.

Astaelan1 likes this.
  12. BHS

BHS

Sometimes the screen space cloud shadows can have z fighting issues with custom shaders and in combination of certain image effects, I’ve noticed this with other shaders outside of UniStorm too. That is most likely what’s causing the issue with the shader portion in the tree. I’m working figuring out a solution for this. I will have a solution for the sun with the 4.1 update.

As for the dotted texture, that is the processing of the clouds during their initialization. This should only last 16 frames and be fully rendered. I’ve even tested this on mobile and never noticed it being more than a second or two. This leads me to believe something else is going on. Are you receiving any errors? It doesn’t seem like the clouds are being properly initialized.

13. Erelos

Erelos

Sounds are there. I think maybe I just had the volumes too low. It's all working just fine now. Wow ! I like this heh.

14. BettoSan

BettoSan

In fact, the error in the trees, only happens when there are clouds.
    In a cloudless climate, the plane that forms the leaves appears with slight transparency.
    Follows Cloud Settings image.

15. BHS

BHS

Yes, but UniStorm’s cloud shadows are updated according to the current cloud cover. If it’s clear, there are also no cloud shadows, which would make sense as to why the issue is minimized. Try disabling the cloud shadows to see if it resolves your transparency issue.

What tree asset are you using, if you are using something from the Asset Store? The trees I’ve tested have worked without this issue, even ones with custom shaders.

Also, have you received any errors?

16. BettoSan

BettoSan

Yes, turning off the shadow of clouds has fixed the problem of transparency.
    I am using in this test the Unity "Standard Assets" trees with their own shaders.

Now Another Problem:
    The rendering dots of the clouds.
    With the post processing stack V2, these remain the entire time in the scene, even the sample scenes.
    With post processing V1, using the "UniStorm Effects Profile" file, this effect improves.
    Follows images.

17. BHS

BHS

That’s strange, I’ve used the post-processing stack v2 and have not encountered this issue. What settings are you using with v2?

18. BettoSan

BettoSan

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  19. BettoSan

BettoSan

The scene is very heavy, running with 15FPS, I decreased some items. Now with 40FPS the clouds render better.
    Maybe it's best to get 60fps?

20. BHS

BHS

I just tested the Post-Processing Stack V2 with nearly identical settings and I had no issues.

This could be why the clouds don't look quite right. The clouds are frame rate dependent. This allows them to be the most optimal based utilizing the available performance. They update over the course of multiple frames. If you're getting 15 fps, the clouds can only update a couple of times a second. I would recommend optimizing the scene and/or using a lower quality cloud setting. From your screenshot it said you were using Ultra. Try using High or Medium to see if that also helps. It's best to get 60 fps, however, they will still look good at 30 fps or above. I tested them at a forced 30 fps and the clouds looked fine.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  21. neshius108

neshius108

Heya! Great work again with the new version.
    I have a question: is it possible to get the system to work at different scales?
    I'd love to be able to use a scale of, say, 0.05, so I wouldn't have to render a huge sky (my character is tiny). Is that possible?

22. BHS

BHS

Hey there! It is not possible to adjust the scale, however, everything is rendered to the camera so the size shouldn't matter. You can have a far clipping plane on your camera of 10 if you wanted to.

23. wood333

wood333

Is ambient lighting accessible from the control panel My walls are almost black, and changing the Environment Reflections does not help.

Also,

Has a provision been added to prevent shadows under an overcast sky?

24. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

25. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone!

Just a progress update with version 4.1. I'm hoping to have this update submitted within a week.

Realistic Stars with Constellations
    As requested, UniStorm's stars have been completely redone to be far more realistic and include accurate constellations. They are also available with a size of up to 4K!

UpdatedStars.png

Procedural Auroras via Weather Type
    UniStorm's Weather Type system has been updated with the addition of procedural auroras! Colors and intensities can be adjusted within the Aurora Settings. Auroras will only be generated at night, however, they can be forced by using the UniStorm Menu.
    Auroras1.png
    Auroras2.png
    AuroraOptions.png

5 New Weather Types
    Added 5 new weather types; Dry Lightning, Mostly Cloudy with Rain, Partly Cloudy with Showers, Blue Auroras, and Orange Auroras!

Ambient Intensity Control
    An option to control the Ambient Intensity has been added to the Atmosphere Settings.

Improved Lightning and Lightning Strikes
    UniStorm's procedural lightning and lightning strikes have been improved, but the lightning bolts still need some adjustments which will come with the 4.2 update.

Support for Lightning Striking Emerald AI agents
    When enabled, lightning bolts can strike and kill Emerald AI agents.

Lightning Strike Events
    Lightning strike events have been added for added functionality with UniStorm's lightning system.

Moon Light Shafts
    Added Light Shafts to UniStorm's Moon. This can be enabled or disabled via the Moon Settings.
    MoonlightShafts1.png

Option to Mask Sun Behind Clouds
    An option to render the clouds as more opaque has been added to the editor.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Adrad, Astaelan1, Hitch42 and 7 others like this.
  26. BHS

BHS

I will be adding an option to control the Ambient Intensity with the 4.1 update.

Cloud Shadow Intensity can be control for each weather type. If the weather type is overcast, and you don't want cloud shadows, adjust the Cloud Shadow Intensity on said weather type to a lower value.

wood333 likes this.
  27. BHS

BHS

I'm responding to it right now. :)

28. neshius108

neshius108

Well, with a far clipping plane of 10, I lose all the cool clouds at 16000.

Also, with a scale of 1, the snow, fire rain, etc. seem to look a bit pixelated. Is that fixable?

29. Stormy102

Stormy102

What have we done to deserve you? :D

BHS likes this.
  30. Alex3333

Alex3333

Will the weather synchronization script for photon 2 be in the next update?

31. BHS

BHS

Not with the 4.1 update. I plan on adding that as soon as possible with a Unity Package that will be included with the system that users can import. I had a networking solution working with UNet using an external script. I just have to use the same logic and make one using Photon 2. I'm more than happy to send it to you early when it's finished.

32. Erelos

Erelos

Wow Auras ! And familiar constellations ! Just .... wow !!

33. BHS

BHS

Thanks! It should be submitted within the next few days.

Stormy102 likes this.
  34. Aress28

Aress28

hi im imported unistorm 4 in unity 2019.1 project and iget errors like this "namespace name 'UniStormSunShafts' could not be found"

Ok fixed ..just by reinporting it as last asset

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  35. BHS

BHS

Hey there,

Strange, I just did a quick test import using the same version of Unity with no issues. I'm glad to hear you figured it out though.

36. Stormy102

Stormy102

Hey BHS,

We're considering migrating our project to the HDRP and I would like to know at which point you will support HDRP with UniStorm?

37. BHS

BHS

Hey there,

I can't say for sure as the HDRP currently lacks a lot of needed features to allow UniStorm's clouds to work. The cloud shader would need to be completely rewritten. I believe most developers that have custom shaders are in a similar situation. LWRP does work though and you only need to update the particle shaders to the LWRP equivalent.

Stormy102 likes this.
  38. Stormy102

Stormy102

Thanks. We plan to upgrade to the HDRP by the end of the year but can offset it somewhat if necessary. Hopefully HDRP will be in a more stable state soon and more asset developers will start including compatibility in their assets :)

BHS likes this.
  39. Poopaloop

Poopaloop

Hello, this is likely a noob question and I am relatively new to trying to code.
    I understand this line can change the weather
    UniStorm.UniStormManager.Instance.ChangeWeatherWithTransition(UniStorm.WeatherType weatherType);

But I am having a blonde moment, what is to be put at 'weatherType'? I have tried int, weather profile name but none are correct for me.

Thanks

40. Stormy102

Stormy102

You need to pass the actual Scriptable Object. If you don't want to cache these, you can use UniStormSystem.Instance.AllWeatherTypes and you could use a bit of Linq (UniStormSystem.Instance.AllWeatherTypes.First(w => w.WeatherTypeName == name)

41. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

The weatherType parameter is simply one of the weather type objects within the project tab (The ones that UniStorm uses within the editor).

Here's a simple script that will change the weather by pressing the Y key. Attach this to script to a game object and choose a weather type to apply to it (the objects located in the Weather Types folder).

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using UniStorm;
    6. public class ChangeWeather : MonoBehaviour {
    8.     public WeatherType WeatherToChangeTo;
    10.     void Update ()
    11.     {
    12.         if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.Y))
    13.         {
    14.             UniStormManager.Instance.ChangeWeatherWithTransition(WeatherToChangeTo);
    15.         }
    16.     }
    17. }

Attached Files:

42. BHS

BHS

43. Poopaloop

Poopaloop

Thank you very much. I now understand how to change it via script. Much appreciated.

44. neshius108

neshius108

@BHS: awesome stuff! I was wondering, is it now possible to change the UniStorm profile at runtime? :)

45. BHS

BHS

Great and you're welcome!

46. BHS

BHS

Not yet, but I plan on adding this feature with the 4.2 update. :)

47. Astaelan1

Astaelan1

@BHS
    Amazing work, no sooner do I make some feedback but within days it's made it into the next update. Really impressed, and I don't say that often about any assets. Most of the time they give me a headache, disappoint and leave me with more work than they save me.
    But I can honestly say, UniStorm is among the top assets on the asset store, it works, it's not buggy, it does what it says on the proverbial box. Support is responsive, outstanding even as I see you helping people with issues that end up not even really related to your asset, that level of support is above and beyond.
    On that note, all the new stuff looks brilliant, I can't wait for 4.1 to be on the store.

The only other feedback I have at this time probably isn't anything UniStorm can fix, but I've noticed that the volumetric light from the sun will be affected by terrain obstructions, but reflections on things like water which capture a lot of the light still show when the sun is behind a mountain for example. Most people don't even notice it (or haven't said anything about it), but my OCD picks up on it. Any thoughts about how we can have reflections of sunlight obstructed by terrain and other large formation object meshes? I'm sure this is more likely something that has to be fixed on the water shader, but figured I'd ask. A picture says a thousand words:

sadicus likes this.
  48. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Now back to Emerald AI ;)

49. BHS

BHS

Thanks! It’s great to hear you’re enjoying UniStorm! I’m hoping the 4.1 update is live sometime tomorrow. After that, I have a lot more planned for future updates.

Unfortunately, the specular level cannot be block or obstructed. It is taken directly from the light source. I’ve noticed this with every water shader/system I’ve used. My suggestions would be to lower the sun intensity as it nears the horizon for both morning and evening, if the specular level is taken directly from UniStorm’s sun. If not, try having the specular level of your water shader controlled by UniStorm’s sun. This would allow the sun to not be nearly as apparent when near the horizon like in your screen shot. Other than that, I’m not sure else to go about it. I will certainly keep an eye out for a better solution though.

sadicus likes this.
  50. BHS

BHS

Of course. :)