Search Unity

[RELEASED] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

Not quite, the 2.4 version demo will be updated later today. I'll be sure to post here when it's up.

2. BHS

BHS

UniStorm is currently on sale for 30% off for today's 24 hour sale. There's now less than 12 hours left!

For those who are interested, we have an updated demo that shows off UniStorm 2.4 using a procedurally generated terrain generated with Map Magic to explore endlessly. This demo allows you to control most weather types as well as the time of day.

The vegetation used in this demo is from our newest asset called Ultimate Nature Pack.

The 2.4 demo can be found here: UniStorm 2.4 Demo (244 MB)

Note: The demo used Unity's new Post-Processing Stack image effects. If these are too intensive for you computer, we can provide a non-image effect version.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  3. tcz8

tcz8

Thanks for the demo but it seems to have issues. I cannot move on the map but I guess this may be intentional. Also, I can barely see any rain even on the heavy setting. The clear, mostly clear and partly cloudy setting are the same (feels like the button doesnt do anything). Mostly cloudy shows what I would call partly cloudy and for some reason has thunder and rain sound and there is more. I tried the 2.3 demo which worked fine but this version definitly has issues.

4. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

I'm not sure why you are having issues. When the demo is first started, the terrain is being generated. After about 5 seconds, you should then be placed on the ground with a character controller that allows you to move around the demo in first person.

The demo uses RFPS which by default needs Time.timeScale for the mouse to be visible and usable. When the demo starts, let the demo generate the terrain and place the character before trying to change any settings.

I also tested all of the weather types and they all work. The transitions are set to be how they are with the default UniStorm scene. They are not instant which means they need about 30 seconds to fully transition. If you are pressing each weather type one after the other, you won't properly see the weather types transition. However, instant transitions is possible with the instant weather function. If you'd like me to update the demo with instant weather, I'd be more than happy to do so. The transitioning weather types were upon request for most people who wanted to try out the UniStorm demo in the past.

5. Hitch42

Hitch42

I'm also experiencing issues with the new demo where I can't move. Also, there are some minor issues like the trees in this scene don't seem to be affected by the light; they're lit up in the middle of the night the same as they are during the day. There are also several spelling errors in the menu.

6. tcz8

tcz8

I tried again, left the terrain generate for a good minute and still have the same issues.

7. BHS

BHS

You should be able to move about 5 seconds after the demo has started. I will look into this and fix it. The reason the trees are lit up is because of the way Unity's tree system works. It needs to have a camera rotation in order to update the lighting for billboarded trees. As for the spelling errors, I was in a rush. I'll be sure to update those too :)

Strange. As mentioned above, I will fix the demo so the player spawner is working properly. I'll be sure to let you know when it's been updated.

8. BHS

BHS

9. Hitch42

Hitch42

I tried the new version and everything seems to be working as intended.

10. tcz8

tcz8

The new version of the demo works great for me too.

11. BHS

BHS

Great! Thanks for confirming everything is working as it should.

12. David-Kamunyu

David-Kamunyu

Hey there @BHS. Really great job on the updated version of UniStorm.

First off, a bug report (hope it has yet to be reported). I have a sleep/wait function in my game that fast forwards time by lowering the day and night times to 0.25 each (a half minute day) as suggested in the wiki. As time is moving quite fast, the daily events I set do not trigger (including others like moon phase checking etc), but increasing the total day length to 1 minute fixes this. Just thought I would let you know.

Now a question (open to everyone). I was wondering how to keep effects from clipping into buildings without having to switch the effects off or loading a smaller cell (including mist, fog etc) as soon as the player enters a building. I've read earlier comments to the effect of lowering rain particles etc, but with the new system are there any easier ways to go about this? Please let me know.

13. Stormy102

Stormy102

You can add a particle collider so that they cannot enter buildings (but they would need colliders on their roofs)

14. David-Kamunyu

David-Kamunyu

Thanks for the quick reply @Stormy102. I assume you mean "World Particle Colliders"? I'll give it a try and get back to you.

Stormy102 likes this.
  15. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

Thanks for the bug report. I'll be sure to figure out a solution for the next update.

The best way to accomplish this is to use World Particle Colliders. You will have to set the Particle Collision Quality to High if you don't want any particles getting through your colliders. Make sure that your particles are above the collision source or they may make it through into your building. Any particle effect's position can be altered by adjusting their position by getting the particle effect object through UniStorm. However, I think by default they are high even that this should happen.

16. Stormy102

Stormy102

Yeah I mean that. Sorry, I've been taking a break from Unity to do other stuff within our team and I'm already forgetting some of the terms! :confused: Did it work?

17. combatsheep

combatsheep

Hi,
    Can I change the start time(hour and minute) of day and night from C# ?

And I changed the "Day Length Hour" and "Night Length Hour" at Time Options of Inspector.
    But It can't be changed the start of day and night.
    Did I change the wrong settings?

Thanks.

Scene_Game_unity_-_PlayClock_.jpg

18. David-Kamunyu

David-Kamunyu

Hey, sorry for the late reply.

Try as I might, it unfortunately did not work. There was always one or two little drops working themselves inside smaller structures, and much more in larger buildings.

I tried playing around with all these settings, but nothing came of it :(

My solution

However, both your suggestions got me to playing around with the particle system settings and I ended up discovering that if I create an encompassing collider around the building (in this case called "Building Weather Collider") and setting it as a trigger, then adding the same trigger to the "Colliders" (blue box) of the "Triggers" Tab (red box) of the particle system dynamically during run time, I get exactly what I intended (with a bit of scripting here and there).

upload_2017-7-8_20-1-50.png

Further more, this can be a solution for anyone who might need the particle effects to disappear around the player, for example, say they cast a spell to keep the weather at bay so that not even snow or whatever falls around them at a certain radius, or in vehicles etc.

A bit of a long explanation, I hope it has made some sense? Thanks for putting me on the right track as well @Stormy102 and @BHS. Much appreciated :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    BHS and Stormy102 like this.
  19. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

You can certainly change these setting through code. UniStorm has API to do so.

SetTime.png

SetDayAndNightLength.png

So, you would just need to get your reference to UniStorm and call these functions. They can be called anytime and UniStorm will change the settings instantly.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. UniStormSystem.SetTime(10,30); //Sets the time to 10:30 AM
    2. UniStormSystem.SetDayAndNightLength(60,60); //Sets both the day and night lengths to 60

Hey there!

I didn't know the particle effects had this capability. It must be something that was added somewhat recently. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure others will find this useful.

20. combatsheep

combatsheep

Hi, BHS.

Thank you for replying.

21. BHS

BHS

You're welcome.

This feature isn't currently possible. However, it's something that could possibly be added with the next update.

22. combatsheep

combatsheep

Hi, BHS.

O.K.
    I am looking forward to it.:)

By the way, what function of "Day Length Hour" and "Night Lenght Hour" are?
    I had tought that these can set the time of sunrise and sunset.
    TimeOptions.jpg

Please tell me.
    Thanks.

23. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

These set the time that the day and night lengths start. For example, with the settings you have, the day length of 60 will start at 4:00 and the night length will start at 19:00.

24. combatsheep

combatsheep

Thank you, BHS!
    I got it.

25. combatsheep

combatsheep

Yeah!
    My App has been released.

FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_6845.jpg

It works fine on iPhone6.
    Thanks to UniStorm.;)

BHS likes this.
  26. BHS

BHS

27. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone!

UniStorm 2.4.0.5 has been submitted and is awaiting approval. This is a small update to make UniStorm fully compatible with Unity 2017.1 and 2017.2 as well as some bug fixes and improvements.

Fixes/Improvements
    • Fixed issue regarding Unity 2017.1 and 2017.2
    • Fixed several import/export settings that weren't properly being set using the import/export system.
    • Added code to automatically expand the moon's List when upgrading to avoid an error that sometimes occurred
    • Removed the JS versions from UniStorm's Window>UniStorm Menu
    • UniStorm will now automatically disable procedural lightning if no player transform is found or applied

28. BHS

BHS

UniStorm 2.4.0.5 has been accepted and is now live! See the post above for the details regarding this update. UniStorm 2.4.1, which will bring CTS support, weather events, and more, is coming soon.

29. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone!

UniStorm 2.4.1 is now live!

This update has a couple more bug fixes/improvements as well as an awesome new addition, CTS support!

For those who don't know, CTS is a new terrain shader that offers improved terrain shading and controllable shading effects such as snow and rain. UniStorm utilizes these shading features to allow dynamically building snow, wet terrain shading when it rains, and seasonal terrain tinting for each UniStorm season.

All this is customizable and directly integrated into UniStorm. Users who have CTS will see UniStorm automatically detect CTS and show you the settings via the UniStorm Editor. These new settings can be found under the Weather Options. To ease possible concerns, users who don't have CTS will not have the CTS features visible, and the CTS code isn't even compiled if you don't own CTS.

We hope users who have CTS enjoy these new features. Weather events and more are coming soon.

UniStorm CTS Features
    • Integrated directly into UniStorm. Everything is handled programmatically. UniStorm will automatically detect CTS and create a Weather Manager, if needed. Users who don't have CTS won't will not have CTS only features visible. Using CTS is completely optional.
    • Control the max rain amount
    • Control the max snow amount
    • Control how fast the snow builds up and melts
    • Control how fast the rain wetness builds up and dries
    • Option to control the temperature that snow melts. This allows users to have snow all winter long until it melts in the spring or when there's a warmer period during the wintery months.
    • Control the terrain tint for each season (Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter). This allows the possibility for having spring greener than summer and fall while winter can be more grey. Season calculation is handled automatically and uses UniStorm's current date. It updates each day throughout the year.
    Fixes/Improvements
    • Added a script to add UniStorm custom define. This is for future integration with Emerald AI (for AI schedules) and Crux (for spawning based on the weather, time, and season).
    • Added rain splash size to the editor that allows you to control the size of the rain splashes when it rains
    • Fixed some animation curves from not properly calculating on initialization
    CTS_Clear.png
    CTS_Rainy.png
    CTS_Snowy.png
    CTS_Snowy2.png

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  30. Bartolomeus755

Bartolomeus755

Hello,

I'm very interested in buying Unistorm but I have a few questions first. I’m working on a boat simulation with large environments (terrains larger than 100km x 100km). Will Unistorm work with these large environments? Is Unistorm compatible to work with PlayWay's Water asset? Another question is, I need a realistic night star sky. Are the stars at night procedurally or it is a “real” star map? And my last question is there are any plans to integrate cloud shadows?

Marko

31. BHS

BHS

Hey Marko!

UniStorm should work fine. It works with infinite terrains and its position can be updated to follow the player with a script that's on the UniStorm wiki site.

I have not personally tested UniStorm with PlayWay's water asset. However, there have been a few customers who have used the two assets together with no issues.

As for the stars, UniStorm does not have procedurally generated stars or realistically mapped stars. It's a just a texture of stars.

Cloud shadows have been discussed for a future version. However, a temporary solution is to use Unity's light cookies. This allows the appearance of cloud shadows and is more efficient than real ones.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

RKeown3D and Bartolomeus755 like this.
  32. BHS

BHS

gegebel likes this.
  33. SSL7

SSL7

Hey, just tried the new unistorm with CTS support and MapMagic. Seems that I get the CTS manager, and the rain/snow sliders move according to the weather, but the season slider doesnt move. Also even though I have the snow, I don't get the snowy shader up.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  34. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

Strange, everything should be working fine. The snow has to be setup on your end with a CTS Profile similar to the Landscape demo provided with TCS. Maybe the terrain tinting is a Map Magic related issue. I'll look into this to see if I can find a solution.

35. SSL7

SSL7

Ok thank you f or your fast reply, and as I said the season slider doesn't move :S

36. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

I looked into this and everything seems to be working as it should. The slider is updated according to the season. Perhaps your issue is related to Map Magic as I cannot recreate your issue. Have you tried testing UniStorm on a non-Map Magic terrain? You can also try testing UniStorm with the demo scenes included with CTS.

37. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone!

UniStorm 2.4.1.1 has been submitted and is awaiting approval. This update fixes an issue related to the UniStormDefines script that didn't allow a scene using UniStorm to properly build. For a quick fix, simply move the UniStormDefines script to the Editor folder.

Also, the UniStorm Mobile asset has also received the 2.4.1.1 update. Its previous version was 2.2.4.

Bartolomeus755 likes this.
  38. SSL7

SSL7

yeap the snow part is mapmagic issue and waiting for fix, but the season slider how can it has to do with the sliders though? Its just a terrain. The rain and snow sliders work fine, the season slider is not. Weird problem. Keep in mind that I spawn CTS on runtime, should be something simple.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  39. Wishymashy

Wishymashy

Hello, can this be setup for a MMORPG ?

40. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi BHS,

I'm getting a couple of build errors with Untiy 5.6.2p4.

Assets/UniStorm (Desktop)/Scripts (Desktop)/UniStorm Systems/UniStormDefines.cs(9,2): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `InitializeOnLoad' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Assets/UniStorm (Desktop)/Scripts (Desktop)/UniStorm Systems/UniStormDefines.cs(18,13): error CS0103: The name `EditorUserBuildSettings' does not exist in the current context

Assets/UniStorm (Desktop)/Scripts (Desktop)/UniStorm Systems/UniStormDefines.cs(19,24): error CS0103: The name `PlayerSettings' does not exist in the current context

Assets/UniStorm (Desktop)/Scripts (Desktop)/UniStorm Systems/UniStormDefines.cs(23,5): error CS0103: The name `PlayerSettings' does not exist in the current context

Assets/UniStorm (Desktop)/Scripts (Desktop)/UniStorm Systems/UniStormDefines.cs(31,5): error CS0103: The name `PlayerSettings' does not exist in the current context

Also what you've done with CTS looks really good, Is there any chance you will integrate something similar in RTP? as I use that in my current project.

41. combatsheep

combatsheep

Hi, BHS.

When I built the project with UniStorm v2.4.1 to iOS, some errors occurred.
    -----
    Assets/UniStorm (Desktop)/Scripts (Desktop)/UniStorm Systems/UniStormDefines.cs(4,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UnityEditor' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Assets/UniStorm (Desktop)/Scripts (Desktop)/UniStorm Systems/UniStormDefines.cs(5,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UnityEditor' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Error building Player because scripts had compiler errors

(@Unity v5.5.1 f1)
    ----

Thanks.

42. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

Yes, we have had several customers sync UniStorm over the network. An example can be found here: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/r...storm-mobile-free.121021/page-91#post-3049782

We are working on a more documented example soon for the UniStorm Wiki. I'll be sure to post it here where it's finished.

Hey guys!

My apologies for the inconveniences with this error. A fix has already been submitted and is awaiting approval.

For a quick fix, move the UniStormDefines script from its current place to UniStorm's Editor folder.

combatsheep and AndyNeoman like this.
  43. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone!

UniStorm 2.4.1.1 is now live on the Asset Store. This update fixes an issue related to the UniStormDefines script that didn't allow a scene using UniStorm to properly build.

The UniStorm Mobile asset has also received the 2.4.1.1 update. Its previous version was 2.2.4.

44. wood333

wood333

Having a bit of a problem with Unistorm and Invector TPC.

Previously, I had a working scene with my terrain, PlayWay Water, uNature grass and Unistorm, all working very well together. I removed Unistorm (it was a couple updates behind), I imported new Invector Shooter version and set up a character who was functioning as expected, and then added the current version of Unistorm. Using the Unistorm auto character setup with Invector settings per your video , I integrated Unistorm and ITPC.

Everything is working again, except when I move the mouse the sun flickers and all shadows shake. Can you advise me?

45. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

The last few updates haven't changed much that would cause issues related to the sun or shadows.

The sun flickering could be due to the order of your image effects. Try making the Sun Shafts image effect above the Post Processing Behavior. However, while testing this myself, I did not have any sun flickering and the order didn't matter.

The shadows are a Unity issue that seem to happen off and on, even with just a standard directional light. Try setting your Quality Setting's Shadow Cascades to Four Cascades.

Other than that it may be something related to the Invector Shooter Template asset. Using the UniStorm Basic Example scene, I have no sun flickering or shadows shaking. However, I'd like to find out the cause of your issues. I don't have the Invector Shooter Template, but I can reach out to the developer to see if I can get a copy to find out what the problem is. I'll test Invector 3rd Person Controller asset again to see if there are any issues.

46. Wishymashy

Wishymashy

Hello i'm still little confused on how to put this on a mmo game scene. How do i set one player as master and how it would pass to another players client? I've already purchased this product. =)

47. wood333

wood333

While I assiduously followed Unistorm's setup video for Invector, many of the post processing effects in my prior working scene were not present on the camera. The missing ones are: Vignette And Chromatic Aberration, Antialiasing, Tonemapping, Bloom Optomized and Global Fog. I added them manually, and placed them in the same order, but that did not solve the issue.

I looked into the quality settings and Shadow Cascades were already set to four. I believe that the shadow movement is just another characteristic of the light flicker issue.

Flicker does not occur when the character is idling. Light flicker occurs on the press of any movement key or upon any mouse movement. If this helps, there is no flicker if the scene is viewed from beneath the terrain, (which Invector's camera permits by default in my scene). Also, not every object is effected by the flicker. Old tree billboards do not flicker. Speed trees flicker. Portions of the ground sometimes flicker. Our fort wall with a legacy shader bumped specular also flickers.

That's all I've learned so far.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  48. Reiner

Reiner

hi i have a problem.

i use realistic tank controller with UFPS Player.
    when the player enter the tank and the main camera switcht from player to tank, Unistorm does not get it and than sky is broken?!

What do I have to do so unistorm handle ENTER / EXIT vehicle and switch Main Camera from FPS Player to vehicle?

49. Reiner

Reiner

have the same problem

SSL7 likes this.
  50. Wishymashy

Wishymashy

Hello any eta on this? =)