Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[70% OFF!] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. lanrosta

lanrosta

So I tried those hacks for Unity5 without any luck so far. Will post on that thread and see if I can get some more details to get it working. If I can get it working ok, I will send you the files so you can implement. Thanks.

2. BHS

BHS

We will take a look also and let you know if we find a fix.

3. Yan-Pepin

Yan-Pepin

Hi,

I'm using Unistorm on Unity 5.3.2p1 and I'm getting console spam when my camera looks at certain angles at runtime. The message gets repeated infinitely and drops the FPS significantly (from 60 to 20). The message i get is: "IsFinite(OutDistanceForSort)UnityEngine.Camera:Render()". Is it a known compatibility issue? When I remove my unistorm objects, I don't get these messages anymore...

Thanks!

4. guildwriter

guildwriter

Using Unistorm 2.1.2 with 5.3.2p1 and whenever I start my scene I get one batch of errors such as

"Material doesn't have a texture property '5f4d61696e54657833'
    UnityEngine.Material:SetTextureOffset(String, Vector2)"
    UniStormWeatherSystem_C:DynamicCloudFormations() (at Assets/UniStorm (Desktop)/Scripts (Desktop)/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs:2379)
    UniStormWeatherSystem_C:Update() (at Assets/UniStorm (Desktop)/Scripts (Desktop)/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs:1678

This kind of error message occurs 22 times in a row at the start and never occurs again. I have tried deleting all of Unistorm and reinstalling the package but it doesn't seem to solve the issue.

5. BHS

BHS

Hey there,

This is a Unity bug not a UniStorm issue. It's covered here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/isfinite-outdistanceforsort.383129/

As far as I know, it's fixed with the current version of Unity.

I believe this happens when the textures aren't applied to the cloud material, which is weird because it should be applied automatically. Also, make sure that the shader isn't throwing any errors. I know Unity 5.3 has been causing some issues with Unity.

We've done test imports to the newest version of Unity with no issues. The textures are applied to the material.

6. guildwriter

guildwriter

As far as I can tell this entire issue began when I was going from Unity 4.3->5.3 and I still had Unistorm 1.8 left in my project. During the process of converting some things went really wonky in general.

Interestingly enough when I imported Unistorm 2.1.2 into a fresh project it worked fine. When I deleted it from my current project and then re-imported it, it still would give the same error. The clouds would import with the material and textures intact and still throw the same errors. Shaders worked fine. In fact it would give the same error even if I removed the material from the clouds and tried playing the project.

I tried renaming my Library and ProjectSettings folders and letting them regenerate to see if something maybe was wrong with the metadata but had no luck there. The only thing that I found that solved this was creating a new project and then re-importing everything.

7. gecko

gecko

Couple questions as I spend more time evaluating Unistorm:

1) Day/Night Length Hour: What if I want the time scale to be consistent for the entire day/night cycle? If my scene is in a northern latitude, day and night are different lengths, and it seems weird to have to calculate different time scale values for day and night. I just want a single value that controls the overall day/night cycle.

2) The Moon just follows a fixed path, regardless of phase, right? To be accurate, the moon should rise at sunset when Waxing and before sunrise when Waning. Maybe I'm the only person who cares about that kind of thing. Is it feasible to make moon phases and movement more accurate?

3) The starry night skydome does not rotate at all, which is a dealbreaker for me (especially since the moon does move against it). Is that possible to implement?

8. BHS

BHS

Srange, sounds like it may be some type of Unity issue or bug. We will take a look at this to see if we can recreate it.

1) The day and night length lengths can be consistent if desired. You would just set both of them to the same value.

2) Yes, the moon's path is fixed. We do plan on adding improved sun and moon paths with a future update.

3) The starry night skydome does rotate. This is adjustable via the UniStorm Editor.

9. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone,

We have changed websites and updated our email address. This is to help better support us and our customers.

Check out our new site here: http://www.blackhorizonstudios.com/

To view our updated contact information, see our contact section of our new website here: http://www.blackhorizonstudios.com/contact/

We have also updated our publisher website and contract information on the Asset Store.

If you'd like to leave suggestions or feedback on ways we can improve our website or products, just comment here or email us via our feedback email.

10. szymonkosok

szymonkosok

Quick two questions. Does it work with WebGL builds? Can I set it to reflect actual real life time and date?

11. BHS

BHS

WebGL hasn't been tested, but it's something we can test out for you. Yes, date and time is all based off real time and date. We are in the process of adding day of the week for our next update, but we can send you the update for this if you need it.

12. magique

magique

I'm considering this asset for our project, but have a few questions/concerns.

I just bought Time of Day, not realizing this asset even existed so I'm first and foremost curious just how well this stacks up against Time of Day for visuals and performance. I realize Time of Day is not a weather system so I'm only curious about the visuals and performance for the features both these assets have in common.

Second, I love the integration of ats snow, but I also have ats colormap ultra and will probably be using that for my project (although I'm still considering RTP). I know ats snow and ats colormap ultra are made by the same guy, but I couldn't find anywhere that those 2 products work together. So, can they work together with unistorm?

Finally, at least for now, I see that people are having issues with the ats snow feature in Unity 5. Any ideas when/if that will be resolved?

Thanks

13. BHS

BHS

Hey there,

1) Both Time of Day and UniStorm have dynamic lighting for all times of day. UniStorm has over 250 customizable components for you to adjust. As for performance, our customers love the speed and how well UniStorm performs. If you'd like to, you can check out UniStorm's reviews on the Asset Store for their opinions also.

2) I'm not familiar with the ats colormap ultra, so I cannot say for sure. UniStorm uses a standard directional light for its sun, that is then implemented with UniStorm. This allows it to work with most assets without a problem. Most of UniStorm's variables are accessible so you can implement custom scripts and alter external variables, such as the ats snow shader, for things like dynamic snow. To clarify, the ats snow shader isn't currently implemented, but it's easy to get it implemented with an external script. If you needed help with this, we would be happy to help. UniStorm also features its own custom snow shader that can be used on most objects such as rocks, buildings, walls, etc. This is included with the Dynamic Snow Example scene.

3) There have been several fixes for the ats snow shader posted on the ats snow forums and on the ats snow Asset Store review section. We haven't had a chance to test these out yet, but it's something we would like to implement with the next version or two.

UniStorm has tons of example projects included in the system to help you get the most out of it. We also have a custom UniStorm Wiki site that you can check out that has tutorials, example script, documentation, and more so you can see all that UniStorm has to offer here: http://unistorm-weather-system.wikia.com/wiki/Home?useskin=oasis

If you have anymore questions, we'd be more than happy to answer them.

14. magique

magique

@BHS, thanks for your prompt responses. I am querying the developer of ats colormap ultra about the snow shader compatibility so I should be able to get that questions answered. I don't immediately need the snow integration, but it's definitely something we'll need fairly early in our development cycle. I'm happy to hear about the other snow shader for game objects. That will be very useful.

I believe I will pick this up soon and give it a try. I have separate components that can do most of what you have in this asset, but if I can get it all in a single package instead of spending weeks to integrate them then that is worth the price right there. Time of Day has so far shown to be very fast so performance is going to be the ultimate deciding factor. Mainly because I'm targeting the Wii U and performance is critical.

15. magique

magique

One more question. How tightly integrated is the time of day/cloud system with the weather system? If, for example, I decide that I'd rather use Time of Day for lighting and clouds, but still want to use the Unistorm weather system, would that be possible?

16. nosyrbllewe

nosyrbllewe

Did you really end up submitting the Unistorm Mobile update? It has been about two weeks and there has been no update. On the other hand, the desktop version got the update in a few days. You also did not answer my last question on why the mobile version is always behind. It should not be that hard to keep the asset's versions in sync.

17. BHS

BHS

I'm not entirely sure, but we have had some customers do this. So, I know it's possible.

It's not behind for any specific reason. We have been a little preoccupied with our Emerald AI update. I will be sure it gets submitted tomorrow.

18. szymonkosok

szymonkosok

If this is not a problem, test WebGL for me, please. This is main platform for me, and if there will be some problems with UniStorm, I don't wanna to spend 65 EUR, you know. :) At least for now, for this particular project.

I wasn't clear about that real time date/time. I'm asking about sun position, length of day, based on lat/lon and season. Days are longer on summer, and short on winter. Can it be done in UniStorm? Or there are static values for length of day and night?

I'm choosing between Sky Master Ultimate and UniStorm, but UniStorm looks better. I have (probably) last question. How falling leaves works? Does it need some special terrain assets? And btw. what kind of nature assets you are using in demo screenshots? Are they public or made by you?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  19. BHS

BHS

Testing WebGL isn't a problem at all. We went ahead and tested UniStorm with WebGL and everything seems to work fine. The only thing you would need to do is use the Dynamic Mobile Clouds shader. The only difference with these two shaders is that they aren't affect by Unity's Fog. From our tests, WebGL doesn't work with Unity's Fog (at least with Unity 5.0.2). Not having fog isn't a problem as UniStorm handles it for you.

UniStorm doesn't use use latitude or longitude for calculating its days or sun position. However, we do plan on adding this with a future version of UniStorm. The day and night length can be adjusted separately to allow for simulated Summer and Winter days.

Falling leaves are just particle effects. Falling leaves is a weather type that only happens in Fall.

Assets used for our demos:
    SpeedTree Desktop Trees (Trees) - https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/24350
    Nature Pack (Trees and Rocks) - https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/1021
    Medieval Environment Pack (Grass, Terrain Textures, Rocks) - https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/6859
    Gaia (Generated Terrain) - https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/42618

UniStorm WebGL.png

20. BHS

BHS

UniStorm Mobile 2.1.2 has been submitted. It will now be equal to the Desktop version.

21. szymonkosok

szymonkosok

Hi,

I've bought UniStorm and have problem with particles. I'm using latest Unity (5.3.2f) and getting errors like this:

Assets/UniStorm (Desktop)/Scripts (Desktop)/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs(3392,37): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.ParticleSystem.emissionRate' is obsolete: `emissionRate property is deprecated. Use emission.rate instead.'

22. BHS

BHS

Hey there,

Those are simply warning messages stating that there is newer API for the particle system. The warnings are harmless and they won't affect the product or performance. We will update the API with our next update. For now, they can just be ignored.

23. szymonkosok

szymonkosok

So I have problem with particles - they are not showing. This is probably my fault. What should I check? I've tried to hide all my other objects in the scene, and that didn't helped (particles were still not visible).

24. BHS

BHS

Strange, I'm not sure. I'll download the newest version of Unity and find out what's going on. When I did the WebGL test yesterday I had no issues and all particle worked.

What version of UniStorm are you using, JS or C#?

25. magique

magique

Can you see the particles in the Scene editor? Click on the particle system and then make sure you click on the Simulate button to start the system if it isn't already playing. Do you see anything? One thing to check would be to see if your Camera is set to render the layer assigned to your particles.

26. szymonkosok

szymonkosok

C#. And this is not even WebGL build for now. I've tried with standalone build.

This is camera bundled with UniStorm (with removed controller components, I don't need them). I don't see particles in editor either (with simulation turned on). :(

27. magique

magique

What about the Layers dropdown in the top right of the editor. I once had turned off a layer when I was testing some things and couldn't see stuff in the editor either. I took hours before realizing I had made that layer invisible.

28. szymonkosok

szymonkosok

You mean "Layer" dropdown? "Default" is set, both for camera and particles.

Ah! Ok, I see "Layers" dropdown. Sorry, stupid me. :) Every layer is visible.

29. magique

magique

Just to be clear, are you saying only Unistorm particles are not showing or any particles? For example, can you drag a prefab particle effect from standard assets and see those working? A couple of things to try. First, close and restart Unity. Second, create a clean scene and just put a new camera and a prefab particle system from standard assets to see if that works.

30. szymonkosok

szymonkosok

I've added simple particle (Create -> Particle system in hierarchy) and it's working. It seems that there is problem only with Unistorm. :(

31. szymonkosok

szymonkosok

Problem solved! Sorry for creating confussion! That was my stupid mistake. I've moved camera attached to "Player" game object, instead of object itself!

32. magique

magique

Glad to hear you got it fixed.

33. BHS

BHS

Thanks for helping out.

No worries, glad to hear you got it all figured out.

34. magique

magique

Does anyone have any experiencing with LIQUIDUM in comparison to Unistorm? I'm mainly interested in performance comparisons. I have LIQUIDUM right now, but I'm not so sure it's the best performance-wise. I also own Time of Day, but Unistorm is an attractive package with both time of day and weather features all-in-one.

Also, what is performance comparison between Unistorm and Unistorm Mobile? If run on the same system, what kind of frame rate difference is there?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  35. jailbar

jailbar

Hey,

I've been using UniStorm for quite some time, and just noticed something that I am not quite sure how to fix.

I have everything setup and it looks great, but behind the sun shafts, the sun is just a very small dot (probably 1/10th the size it should be). Oh, and the sun size is already at maximum. The moon size changes the moon appearance, but the sun size doesn't seem to effect this small dot that is representing the sun behind the shafts.

Not a big issue at all, but at certain angles, when the sunshafts fade slightly, the miniature sun becomes visible. It's such a minor issue, that I almost feel cranky for even bothering, but you guys provide fantastic support, so I'd figure I'd take advantage of it. ;)

I thought I read somewhere in this thread that perhaps an update to the 'sun size' was coming soon to possibly solve this issue?

Thanks a bunch for the great support.

36. pixxelbob

pixxelbob

Hey
    I've noticed an issue with the precipitation (Mobile)
    During clear spells, the minRainIntensity goes negative, so if you have a long dry spell the minRainIntensity can be negative by thousands so it never rains, even when it should. Looking at FadeOutPrecipitation and FadeInPrecipitation there's a missing clamp for minRainIntensity to stop it from going negative, you have checks for snow, fog, clouds in various places but nothing for Rain, is this intentional?

I've looked at Desktop and it works differently, Mobile checks for minRainIntensity <= 0 && windZone Desktop only checks minRainIntensity so does not exhibit the bug.

I've corrected the code in FadeOutPrecipitation to the following and it works fine.

Code (CSharp):
    1. //Calculates our wind making it lessen      
    2. if (minRainIntensity <= 0)
    3. {
    4.     minRainIntensity = 0;
    6.     if(useWindZone)
    7.     {
    9.        //Keeps our wind at 0 if there hasn't been a storm
    10.        windZone.transform.rotation = Quaternion.AngleAxis(0, Vector3.up);
    12.        windZone.gameObject.SetActive(false);
    14.        if (windZone.transform.eulerAngles.y <= 1)
    15.        {
    16.            windZone.transform.eulerAngles = new Vector3(0, 0, 0);
    17.            windZone.gameObject.SetActive(false);
    18.        }
    20.     }
    22. }

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  37. BHS

BHS

Thanks for the heads up. We will be sure to take care of it with our next update.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  38. BHS

BHS

Thanks, we like helping our customers out. It's perfectly fine.

If you need the sun bigger, you can try changing the cap on the UniStorm Editor by doing the following.

1) Find the UniStormEditor script and open it.
    2) Find the line 1599 and change the line:

From
    Code (CSharp):
    1. self.sunSize = EditorGUILayout.Slider ("Sun Size", self.sunSize, 0, 0.5f);
    To
    Code (CSharp):
    1. self.sunSize = EditorGUILayout.Slider ("Sun Size", self.sunSize, 0, 5.0f);
    This will allow you to make the Sun up to 10x bigger. However, you can increase the left value can increase the max size more if you'd like.

39. BHS

BHS

There are quite a few differences, here's a few that are off the top of my head. These are simply the defaults of the two systems. Things can be changed or added if needed.

UniStorm Desktop Default:
    * Far Clipping Plane is at about 18,000
    * Uses the Sun Shafts Image Effect
    * Uses the Global Fog Image Effect
    * Uses Unity's Fog
    * Multiple Cloud Domes active at once
    * Editor has higher caps than Mobile
    * Larger texture file sizes than Mobile (increases texture quality)
    * Larger sound file sizes than Mobile (increases sound quality)

UniStorm Mobile Default:
    * Far Clipping Plane is at about 550
    * Doesn't rely on any Image Effects
    * Doesn't use Unity's Fog
    * Has only 1 Cloud Dome active at once
    * Editor has some lower caps than Desktop
    * Smaller texture file sizes than Desktop (increases performance and reduces build size)
    * Smaller sound file sizes than Desktop (increases performance and reduces build size)

40. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone,

We've added a Report Issue Section to our website. This allows our customers to post any bugs or errors they have related to our products so we can track, manage, and fix them in one convenient location.

http://www.blackhorizonstudios.com/report-an-issue/

pixxelbob likes this.
  41. shwa

shwa

Plant growth system.

Hi,
    Is there now a demo scene of the plant growth system in the download?

Meaning, The demo you showed videos of a while back, that would require us having some 3rd party assets. Would be very helpful to have access to this.
    thanks,

42. BHS

BHS

We will try to find the time to do this. Right now, we are busy finishing our Emerald AI update.

43. BHS

BHS

UniStorm Mobile 2.1.2 has been accepted and is now live. This will make UniStorm Mobile equivalent to UniStorm Desktop.

This update brings tons of improvements, the Climate Generation System, Auto Player Setup, and tons more. To see all the new features and fixes that UniStorm Mobile 2.1.2 brings, see our post on the UniStorm Mobile forums: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/un...s-unistorm-desktop.141219/page-4#post-2503671

44. shwa

shwa

:plant growth system.

BHS: We will try to find the time to do this. Right now, we are busy finishing our Emerald AI update.

Shwa: Ok, i understand. As soon as possible would be much appreciated as this was something we wanted to have tested and implemented a few weeks ago.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

- shwa

BHS likes this.
  45. LacunaCorp

LacunaCorp

Hi BHS,

We're loving Unistorm! Our game is due to be released on Steam in less than a week and it's really brought our environment to life, but there are a few little tweaks I'd like to make- I'm not sure how to do these, so I'd appreciate your advice!

Our game is set in the Wild West, so we'd like to have the day pretty bright until Sundown and dark at night. Our problem is that Unistorm is the brightness we want at noon, but through the morning and evening it's quite dark. It's just a short peak at noon that it's intensely bright, but we want it to be a similar brightness for most of the day, only starting to get dark close to sunset. I've tried playing with the day length settings but nothing seems to change this- is there something simple I'm missing that we can do to fix this? Thanks in advance for any guidance!

BHS likes this.
  46. Arganth

Arganth

Name of the game pls

47. BHS

BHS

Thanks! It's great to hear you are loving UniStorm. Feel free to share some screenshots of your project here if you'd like. We love to see what people are doing with UniStorm.

You can make the brightness stay the same throughout the day by doing the following:

1) Open up the UniStormWeatherSystem script

2) Find the line:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. sun.intensity = (calculate2-0.1f) * sunIntensity;
    3) And change it to:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. sun.intensity = sunIntensity;
    This will allow the sun's brightness not to be affected by the time of day. It will have consistent brightness throughout the day while still being able to control the colors for each time of day. You may need to adjust your Max Sun Intensity as this will increase the sun's brightness level overall.

I hope this helps!

48. LacunaCorp

LacunaCorp

Thanks for the fast reply, I'll jump straight into Unity and try it out! And here are a couple of screenshots of how we're using Unistorm :)

This one is outdated but I think Unistorm's lighting looks really nice in this shot:

Stormy102, pixxelbob and BHS like this.
  49. LacunaCorp

LacunaCorp

Hi, the game is called Frontier (screenshots above, as you can see).

Stormy102 likes this.
  50. snuoq

snuoq

Hello,

I just bought this asset and tried to setup it to my project. I followed wiki site video instructions and everything seemed like to be okay.. but when I try run my game there is some lines on the right side of camera:

Anyone have idea what went wrong?