Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[70% OFF!] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. BHS

BHS

Great to hear and good idea using UniStorm's cloud color to match your custom ones.

2. RakkuAmiya

RakkuAmiya

Glad it worked, although I did notice an odd thing last night. The high light dynamic clouds went from dark grey to white all of a sudden, and I got quite a frame rate drop. I couldn't fathom why last night. I'll check the changes, but the only ones I made to the Unistorm system were those you suggested. It had transitioned nicely when getting dark I recall.

Anyway finally attached a screenshot of the thermal clouds colouring correctly. :)

Graeme

Attached Files:

3. montyfi

montyfi

@BHS, How can I disable Unistorm functionality when player inside house or cave? I would like time to advance, but to disable directional light and I don't want ambient light to change color there.

4. BHS

BHS

Here is one way to do it. This allows you to use this external script without having to modify UniStorm itself.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class InsideHandler : MonoBehaviour
    5. {
    6.     public bool isInside = false;
    7.     public Color insideAmbientColor;
    8.     UniStormWeatherSystem_C uniStormSystem;
    9.     GameObject uniStormObject;
    11.     void Start ()
    12.     {
    13.         //Get the UniStorm System on Start
    14.         uniStormObject = GameObject.Find("UniStormSystemEditor");
    15.         uniStormSystem = uniStormObject.GetComponent<UniStormWeatherSystem_C>();
    16.     }
    18.     void LateUpdate ()
    19.     {
    20.         //Player is inside, disable needed components here. This overwrites UniStorm's controls by using LateUpdate which runs after Update
    21.         if (isInside)
    22.         {
    23.             //Any other components you wish to disable while inside can be called here
    24.             RenderSettings.ambientLight = insideAmbientColor;
    25.             uniStormSystem.sun.enabled = false;
    26.             uniStormSystem.rain.enableEmission = false;
    27.             uniStormSystem.snow.enableEmission = false;
    28.             uniStormSystem.mistFog.SetActive(false);
    29.         }
    31.         //Player is outside, enable disabled components. This can be called once and disabled after the player is no longer inside
    32.         if (!isInside)
    33.         {
    34.             uniStormSystem.rain.enableEmission = true;
    35.             uniStormSystem.snow.enableEmission = true;
    36.             uniStormSystem.mistFog.SetActive(true);
    37.         }
    38.     }
    39. }

Adrad and montyfi like this.
  5. montyfi

montyfi

Thank you!

BHS likes this.
  6. kilju

kilju

Hello guys. does somebody know how to get fog working in deferred rendering? should i make new custom script to work with it or any other solutions?

thank you

Nice work on unistorm i really love this asset keep up the good work :D

7. BHS

BHS

It works, you just need to use a Global Fog Image Effect.

8. BHS

BHS

UniStormUpdate.png
    UniStorm version 2.1.2 has been submitted and is awaiting approval. This update contains some much needed fixes that were introduced with Unity 5.3 as well as various fixes and improvements. Our next update will include some exciting new features.
    • Updated shaders to be compatible with Unity 5.3
    • Fixed references to UniStorm Mobile when importing the UniStorm Desktop folder independently.
    • Updated UniStorm Editor to Unity 5 API to properly detect changes made to the Editor. This was causing some issues with some settings not being saved if UniStorm was the only thing being altered in a scene.
    • Fixed Dynamic Wind from stuttering when transitioning the wind for storms. This is now done seamlessly.
    • Balanced rain transitions to better fade when switching to non-precipitation weather types.
    • Improved Dynamic Wind

TheSeawolf, montyfi and Sonnenspeer like this.
  9. gecko

gecko

Unistorm looks really great...except that I really need big puffy cumulus clouds. I guess that means volumetric clouds. Any chance of something like that coming along in an update?

10. BHS

BHS

Volumetric clouds are something we would like to add to an update sometime in the future. We have some customers use both. There are a few assets on the Asset Store that just do volumetric clouds making them perfect to integrate with UniStorm.

TheSeawolf likes this.
  11. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Hey BHS, do you have any screenshots with the volumetric cloud assets added in perhaps? What do you see as a very good volumetric cloud asset that compliments unistorm?

I would really like guidance on this :

I second this question also, this would be perfect :)

12. nosyrbllewe

nosyrbllewe

Why isn't the Unistorm Mobile asset up-to-date with the regular one? Considering that they are the exact same thing, why is the Mobile asset several updates behind the regular one?

13. BHS

BHS

We will be submitting the 2.1.2 update to UniStorm Mobile asset sometime today.

14. BHS

BHS

While we just submitted UniStorm 2.1.2 recently, and it should be accepted soon, it was mainly to fix a some bugs related to Unity 5.3. We are working on a new feature update, UniStorm 2.1.3, that will have a new and improved editor.

The new editor will categorize options into Tabs. This will make it much easier to navigate through the Editor. This will allow the editor to not be so long resulting in having to drag up and down the editor to find what you're looking for. For users who prefer the current version of the editor, we have left an option to do so. We will also be serializing all variables within the editor allowing them to work with Unity's Undo and Redo.

We have also added accurate day of the week given the date (Monday-Sunday). With this, we have added a custom DateTime system that allows you to get dates, days, months, years, or day of the week. If one wanted the day of the week, it would be: UniStormDate.DayOfWeek

We will also be added a new Natural Lighting Scene using the same lighting and settings used in the screenshot below so customers can have the same results as we do.

Feedback on the changes are always appreciated. Feel free to make suggestions or other ways we can add to or improve the editor.

UniStormEditor.png

Lighting that will be used in the new demo scene with UniStorm 2.1.3 (Note: This is entirely possible with the current version of UniStorm. If you are interested PM us for the UniStorm settings we used)
    UniStorm Big (Other Edited).png

montyfi and Adrad like this.
  15. md-ford

md-ford

Is there any way to change the fog end distance to less than 200?

16. BHS

BHS

Yes, you can edit the editor script to lower the cap to whatever you need. However, we can be sure to lower the amount with our next update. If you need help changing it yourself, just let us know and we'll guide you through it.

17. Slider_j

Slider_j

I was making some major overhauls to my project and just got round to re-applying unistorm (2.1.1) to my project (in unity 5.3.0f4) after a little issue with the clouds being not visible (fixed now,thanks to your documentation)everything works EXCEPT.... sun shafts and the sun and moon actually being visible, they cast light on everything, they are just not visible in the project (when it is running in the editor) if you look in the scene view when the project is running you can see the sun an moon, just not actually in the game when it's running.... any ideas what could be causing it?

18. BHS

BHS

I'm not entirely sure, but sounds like your Sun Shafts don't have the Shafts Caster setup correctly. This is what tells the sun shafts where to cast from. Attack the "Sun" gameobject to your Shafts Caster. You will also need to do the same with your moon light shafts using the "Moon" gameobject.

19. BHS

BHS

UniStorm 2.1.2 has been accepted and is now live.

Get it here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/2714

UniStormUpdate.png
    UniStorm 2.1.2 Notes:
    • Updated shaders to be compatible with Unity 5.3
    • Fixed references to UniStorm Mobile when importing the UniStorm Desktop folder independently.
    • Updated UniStorm Editor to Unity 5 API to properly detect changes made to the Editor. This was causing some issues with some settings not being saved if UniStorm was the only thing being altered in a scene.
    • Fixed Dynamic Wind from stuttering when transitioning the wind for storms. This is now done seamlessly.
    • Balanced rain transitions to better fade when switching to non-precipitation weather types.
    • Improved Dynamic Wind

20. Slider_j

Slider_j

attaching the Sun, gameobject worked (it was on Sun_Moon for some reason...anyway the sun shafts work now.) as for the actual sun and moon game objects not being visible i will install the update and see what happens! :)

21. Tony-Lovell

Tony-Lovell

I'd like to see you support an external source for date, time, and lat/long.

I use the no-longer-available Silverlining for this, as its implementation is probably the most straightforward possible, allowing you to simply supply:

1. Date
    2. Time
    3. Lat/Long
    4. Time Mult factor

All sun and moon angles (for our good old planet, anyhow) are generated automatically, and correctly.

Though I will come back to it at some point for its precipitation, I found Unistorm's time/place/season/etc interfaces MUCH more cumbersome.

22. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

Take a look at Tenkoku for those features. I picked up UniStorm for the same reason, the storms/weather system. We are still having issues getting it to work correctly networked and may end up using another system for our networked games until we can sort it out.

23. BHS

BHS

Latitude and longitude support is something that we want to do in an update in the near future. UniStorm needed a little work with the Editor and some improvements. We have done this with the last couple of updates and are continuing to do so. The time system has been improved and with this next update you can have the day of the week given the date. All variables can be accessed and displayed. How can we improve its interfaces? This is what a big part of our next update will be about.

What network portion doesn't work with UniStorm? We have had customers use UniStorm with network plugins and have fully synced weather and time with their players. We also sent you an example script that synced the weather and time over the network using Photon. We would love to improve functionality with network based games. To my understanding, it is entirely possible. If there is something that is causing issues, let us know what it is and we will be sure to make the necessary changes.

24. Ludo97

Ludo97

Hello, I buy Unistorm there some day and it really is EXCELLENT but how to add a special sound for the day and a special sound for the night? Thank you

25. BHS

BHS

26. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

Hello,
    is it possible to add volumetric clouds?

27. BHS

BHS

Volumetric clouds are something that we would like to add in a future update.

We have had customers implement volumetric cloud assets with UniStorm.

28. gecko

gecko

Can you point us to any examples of this?

29. Ludo97

Ludo97

I have problem of shadow , the shadow on my property and it is blinking square with unistorm .

30. BHS

BHS

We haven't tested any ourselves so we can't recommend any specific assets. We have just seen our customers' setups from our customer support so we know it is possible.

Sometimes this happens with larger terrains. UniStorm uses a standard directional light for its sun so it's not specifically UniStorm. One solution is to increase the near clipping plane on your camera to 0.5. This usually fixes the issue you've mentioned.

31. Ludo97

Ludo97

Thank you , the problem is solved shadow .

32. Ludo97

Ludo97

I have another problem, my cameras is set and I have this problem:

how to solve it ?

Attached Files:

33. BHS

BHS

You need to increase your far clipping plane on your camera to 18,200. Your camera isn't able to fully see the cloud domes.

Are you using the Auto Player Setup? This system will fully setup your player and settings for you with the click of a button. We have made tutorial videos for setting up here:

setting up takes less than a minute and the system does everything for you.

34. Ludo97

Ludo97

I followed the tutorial but the problem is Realistic FPS Prefab with 2 camera when I do its blocks complement the player .

35. Hi, I'm thinking about to buy this asset, but I have one crucial element so I'm not sure, that it is the perfect for my needs. I will have to integrate the weather system/day-night cycle with Chronos.
    The question is: how hard it would be? (time is money, after all)
    Is it possible that Unistorm supports Chronos integration somehow?

36. BHS

BHS

It should be possible. We have sent you a PM explaining things in-depth.

37. BHS

BHS

We have had customers get it working. If the RFPS asset blocks the Far Clipping Plane from being accessed, that's something with the asset. You could also try setting the Far Clipping Plane it via script.

38. Killersan

Killersan

Unistorm Basic Example C# scene with only Ceto added to it and I have such problem.
    I saw it in one of the previous thread but I can't fix it in my project.

upload_2016-2-2_15-27-13.png

39. BHS

BHS

Are you using the newest version of UniStorm, version 2.1.2? We fixed this issue with 2.1.2 and have properly aligned the specular light with the sun. The applies to the basic demos and prefabs.

If you need to further adjust the sun's position, you can go to the "SunGlow" object located in UniStorm parent and adjust its position with the X, Y, and Z axes. I found that setting the position of the SunGlow object to the position of (-8,0,2) looks the best. This would be (X,Y,Z).

With our 2.1.3 update, we will be adding a sun offset to adjust the sun's position via the UniStorm editor.

Here's a screenshot of how your specular light should look, just with using the 2.1.2 update.

image.png

scrawk likes this.
  40. Killersan

Killersan

Yes, I'm using newest 2.1.2 version but no matter how will i set it up light specular looks wrong, left side, right side or sometimes it's lined up properly, depending on where my camera is.

41. Tom_Timothy

Tom_Timothy

When will he fix his Floating point problem with his Date/Time system and when will the C# api work correctly, right now only the JS works correctly. we need this fix asap or will half to look to other options.

42. BHS

BHS

I was able to recreate your problem. If you want your sun to perfectly match your specular light, you will need to do the following. We had to implement our own sun because Unity's Sunshafts can't cast from a procedural skybox sun.

1) Open up the UniStormWeatherSystem script.
    2) Go to line 639 and find where it says: SkyBoxMaterial.SetFloat("_SunSize", 0);
    3) Comment this out so it looks like the following: //SkyBoxMaterial.SetFloat("_SunSize", 0);
    4) In the project search, search for the ProceduralSky material.
    5) Adjust the sun size to the desired size.
    6) Go to the hierarchy and search for the SunGlow and disable the "Mesh Renderer"
    7) Go to your UniStorm camera and disable the Sunshafts Image Effect.

This will use UniStorm's procedural skybox sun instead of its default sun.

We will work on a better solution with a future update. For now, this will get your sun and specular lighting matched.

This is the first time we have heard of this issue, both from you and everyone else. The C# version is fully usable in the newest version of Unity. We have had no issues and everything works as it should.

Please provide more information about it so we can figure out what's going on.

43. Slider_j

Slider_j

yep got that sorted, you were right about the shafts caster... and the sun and moon objects not appearing was due to camera distance culling i'd set up for the default layer (my bad) so now they are appearing again HURRAH! but now i find that the unistorm sun and ceto ocean specular aren't lining up and before i have chance to ask, you'd already posted a "work around" awesome! thank you for awesome support! :)

44. lanrosta

lanrosta

Just bought Unistorm a couple days ago. Very impressive system. I would like to know a couple things. I am using Unity 5.1.3f and looking at your Snow scene demo. The snow falls from the sky ok, and it builds up snow on the demo rocks in the scene, but not on the terrain itself. This looks unrealistic. So, how can I make the snow stick to the terrain as well?

45. BHS

BHS

Good to hear everything is work. You are welcome.m, we're happy to help.

UniStorm used to have snow build up on the terrain, but because of the shader changes to the terrain, and limitations put, we had to remove it until we can tweak it to work with Unity 5. We do plan on bringing it back in the near future.

The terrain snow shader that we used to use is on the asset store for free. It wasn't developed by us, but we implemented UniStorm with it. To implement it yourself, you would use a similar code to how we did our dynamic snow. You would just increase the snow amount over time during the snow precipitation weather types.

46. lanrosta

lanrosta

bummer. Can you please specify the asset you are referring to? Is it the ATS_Snow free asset thing? I did get that but it horks in Unity5. Thanks for the info and prompt reply.

47. BHS

BHS

You are welcome.

Yes, I believe it is. Here's a link just to be sure: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/4144

Unity 5 has changed the way there terrain is done quite a bit. We want dynamic snow on the terrain as a feature in the future. However, it may take some time to develope a shader that works with Unity 5's terrain.

Edit: It looks like there's a fix for Unity 5 someone posted in the reviews. We will take a look at it and see if we can get it all working. If we do, we can send UniStorm customers the script early upon request.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  48. lanrosta

lanrosta

I just got there myself and will try that fix tonight. Though, I am trying to avoid hacks and also the nightmare of fixing Shaders and Shader conflicts in Unity. Would love to see this functionality built in to Unistorm and be supported in the future. Snow is an important aspect of weather/environment design and it will certainly help bolster the Unistorm product by having it built-in.

Thanks again for the rapid support and for making such a wonderful Unity environment tool. Keep up the great work.

49. BHS

BHS

If we decided to use that terrain shader, we would of course make sure it was fully supported before using it in an update.

You are welcome and thank you.

50. lanrosta

lanrosta

No luck yet trying those Unity 5 hacks with ATS_Snow. I will post on that forum to see if anyone has a working ATS_Snow build-up code they can provide. There were a few folks discussing a solution, but the code samples they provide are a bit vague. I followed the samples that were provided, but no luck getting snow build up on the terrain yet in U5. If you can figure it out in the near future I will definitely like to see your code snippets for it. Thanks again.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016