Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[70% OFF!] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Syrath88

Syrath88

Hey,
    Just wanted to ask a question, While having a third person camera enabled rotating the camera causes the rain to tilt horizontal every time it's moved. rotating the character is fine its only when the camera moves the rain goes bonkers.. I like a little tilt, but it's full sideways lol

Is this intended? :)

Thanks! love the new update! :)

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  2. EDarkness

EDarkness

Hello. I'm wondering how do I get Unistorm to start at the time I want it to via code? I used your solution before, but I just updated to the latest version from the Asset Store and now I want to set it correctly. How is that done now?

3. Syrath88

Syrath88

You can adjust the starting time in the editor in the Time Options. Look a the picture above.

4. EDarkness

EDarkness

Thanks for the reply. I just figured out that the start at some time code isn't in the version that is out. It'll be in the next version, looks like

I do have another question, though. How do I keep the sound volume at a certain level? It keeps incrementing the sound so that the volume goes back to 1.0 after a certain amount of time. I want the rain/wind sound to be more muffled in a building, so what would I need to do in order for that to happen?

Thanks in advance. Got the system working like a champ right now. It's pretty awesome.

5. melonhead

melonhead

1.8 4 seems a bit laggy compared to all previous versions? anyone else got this problem? and how long before rain on screen is coming back?

6. BHS

BHS

Glad you like the update.

No it's not supposed to turn horizontal. Try adjusting some of the rain particle effect's settings to see if you can stop it. It's most likely just a setting within the particle's settings.

There's no way 1.8.4 is more laggy. We went through and rewrote most of the code to be less redundant. We trimmed off about 3,000 lines of code. From our tests using the profiler, and actual testing, it's faster and more efficient.

We added a few more image effects to the demo player than we had previously like anti-aliasing and bloom. We may have also left the quality settings on Fantastic, which could be why.

What are you experiencing that's making it seem more laggy?

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  7. Sphelps

Sphelps

I have seen better fps in the new release must be something else in your project!

8. melonhead

melonhead

hi, the walking seems so slow and the fps seems lower than previous, maybe you just went overboard with the effects and the amount of stuff compared to the older demos.

@DestinyComp,, i am talking about the 1.8.4 webplayer demo, not my project

9. Sphelps

Sphelps

Is the effect s child of the camera?

10. Sphelps

Sphelps

The web demo is intergated with UFPS that might be why you might see a difference

11. BHS

BHS

The webplayer demo is a lot more dense. We stated that we wanted to show its potential. It's rendering a lot of trees, rocks, and grass. We will add an option to just render the terrain for those who just want to check out UniStorm.

12. EDarkness

EDarkness

BHS, any idea on what to do about the sound? Is there a way to fix it at a certain level, or is it always incrementing?

13. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

You don't have to control the sound directly, just control it indirectly.

You can use the new audio mixer.

Add a group for Weather, assign the applicable audiosources to that group. Take a snapshot for out doors (loud) and a snapshot for in doors (quieter). For in doors you will probably also want to add some low pass filtering. Use a trigger volume or something to know when you need to transition between snapshots.

14. EDarkness

EDarkness

I'm not using Unity 5. I guess I'll figure out how to force it to stay at a certain level throughout.

15. BHS

BHS

You could have an OnTriggerEnter that triggers a book that's called, let's say isInside. When inside set it to true. When true the sound components of UniStorm are set to the value you'd like. When you OnTriggerExit, you put the values back to 1.

16. EDarkness

EDarkness

I added something to Unistorm to inform that system that the player is inside a building. The problem is that Unistorm adjusts the volume of the rainsounds dynamically for some reason. I set the value to .10 inside the building, but Unistorm automatically adjusts the values back to 1.0. Which is why I asked. Is there something in the system that gradually increases the volume of audio components? If so, is there a way to keep that from happening? I don't want to get into modifying the Unistorm code as it means I have to make those modifications again once a new version is released. If there was a simple way to do this, then that's what I'm looking for.

17. BHS

BHS

UniStorm does modify the sound components dynamically for the weather. What you could do is disable the sound components and make your own. When there's weather that requires sound you would increase your own weather sounds, but if your player is inside, you can mute them or turn them down. This way you don't have to modify any actual UniStorm code.

18. jf3000

jf3000

Is there a video of the 1.8.4.0?

19. Walton

Walton

Can somebody please help with this problem i have just installed 1.8.4 into Unity5 and now i get this error...
    Assets/UniStorm/Scripts/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs(3074,35): error CS1061: Type `GlobalFog' does not contain a definition for `heightDensity' and no extension method `heightDensity' of type `GlobalFog' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) This error happens 12 times
    It stops me from running my project

20. Demonith88

Demonith88

I have a question because i creating mmo can i use this with multiplayer online

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  21. BHS

BHS

Yes, here's the video of 1.8.4.

This is because Unity hides the Global Fog image effect by not making it public. You can make it public by doing the following:

1) Look for the GlobalFog.cs file and open it.

2) Go to the 9th line where it says class global fog and add public right before class.

3) It should not say:
    public class GlobalFog

Yes, each player would have their own weather effects. The UniStorm weather system would be global as well as all the clouds, sun, and everything else. You would then sync the startTime and weatherForecaster variables over the network. When the global weather changes, send something to be received so the players' weather effects fade in.

22. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

I get this error...

Assets/UniStorm/Scripts/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs(3665,51): error CS1061: Type `GlobalFog' does not contain a definition for `heightDensity' and no extension method `heightDensity' of type `GlobalFog' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

23. BHS

BHS

You need to import the Unity 5 version image effects. Then do the following:

2) Go to the 9th line where it says class global fog and add public right before class.

3) It should now say:
    public class GlobalFog

24. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

addd or remove

25. BHS

BHS

You need to add public to the class. For some reason Unity made it hidden.

26. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

its already like that

27. BHS

BHS

You need to use the c# version of Global Fog on your camera that uses UniStorm. Make sure you are using that and not the JS version.

28. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

29. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

FYI in your online demo, the trees have a blue glow around the leaves when the sky is behind them. This happens in unity 5 with tree creator trees. You need to increase the map size of your shadow texture to match the diffuse size to get rid of that.

30. allenallenallen

allenallenallen

The stars are appearing in front of the moon as small black dots somehow. Is there a way to fix this?

31. Walton

Walton

@BHS
    [

This is because Unity hides the Global Fog image effect by not making it public. You can make it public by doing the following:

3) It should not say:
    public class GlobalFog

Yes, each player would have their own weather effects. The UniStorm weather system would be global as well as all the clouds, sun, and everything else. You would then sync the startTime and weatherForecaster variables over the network. When the global weather changes, send something to be received so the players' weather effects fade in.[/QUOTE]

It already says public

Here is the script

namespace UnityStandardAssets.ImageEffects
    {
    [ExecuteInEditMode]
    [RequireComponent (typeof(Camera))]
    [AddComponentMenu ("Image Effects/Rendering/Global Fog")]
    public class GlobalFog : PostEffectsBase
    {

and i am still getting these error's 12 times

Assets/UniStorm/Scripts/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs(3074,35): error CS1061: Type `GlobalFog' does not contain a definition for `heightDensity' and no extension method `heightDensity' of type `GlobalFog' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  32. BHS

BHS

You need to use the c# version of Global Fog on your camera that uses UniStorm. Make sure you are using that and not the JS version.

33. BHS

BHS

34. Walton

Walton

@BHS
    After still getting the errors as stated in my previous post, and reading the fix on the wiki i cant make sure that i am using the C .cs script because i cant even find the Unistorm option on the menu bar haveing installed unistorm a couple of times still no option can somebody please tell me where it is located

( im getting a little fed up with buying this product and getting all these problems_

35. BHS

BHS

Image Effects are always located in the Standard Assets>Effects>Image Effects>Scripts folder.

We submitted UniStorm with the proper image effects applied to the camera to work. We couldn't foresee that you were going to have the older version image effects in your scene.

You simply need to go to the Project Search and search for the GlobalFog image effect. You will clearly be able to see the difference between C# (meaning .cs) and JS. You now need apply the .cs GlobalFog image effect to the camera that is using UniStorm. Make sure the JS version image effect, meaning the .js, is not on your camera.

GlobalFog.png

36. Walton

Walton

@BHS
    ok thats fine but i think you missed the second part of my post i can not even try to use Unistorm as i have no option on my menu bar to start to use it as per your tutorial on the wiki.

37. BHS

BHS

It sounds like you could use some help navigating through the inspector. This tutorial should help you out.

You could also always just look for the fold like I stated in my previous post.

Image Effects are always located in the Standard Assets>Effects>Image Effects>Scripts folder.

38. Walton

Walton

@BHS
    OK i think we are not quite singing off the same song sheet i can not put the correct script to the effect camera using Unistrom when i can not get unistorm into my scene see previous pictures

39. Demonith88

Demonith88

Hi BHS u did not answer my question can i use this with online game ? and how ?

40. Walton

Walton

@BHS
    Still having problems with Unistorm 1.8.4.. apart from the post,s above i have more issues,,, First i am trying to follow the tutorial on the wiki still can not find the menu item Unistorm

picture from the Wiki

Second when i install Unistorm i lose other items from my tool bar see pictures

is Unistorm worth the hassle????????

41. EDarkness

EDarkness

This is good to know. How would I know it's raining and the sound needs to be changed? Is there some kind of event message that is sent when that happens?

42. BHS

BHS

I just tested an import of UniStorm 1.8.4 on two different computers without any of those issues. We also use UFPS with UniStorm with no issues. Maybe there is some type of conflict with an asset within your project.

Sometimes you need to close Unity and open it back up for menu tools to update.

43. BHS

BHS

Yes, like I previously stated, you need to use an OnTriggerEnter function.

This link shows an example of how to do so:

http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/MonoBehaviour.OnTriggerEnter.html

44. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Having a bit of an issue here.

During the day the "light" level grows from relatively bright to very dark. Then, when the system switches to night, there's a visible change as the light level gets brighter. Just to be clear, the end of the "day" is darker than the "night," and so when night starts the skybox is suddenly rather light.

This may be related to the moon, I don't know. But it's a jarring effect rather than a transition. I'm attaching a (terrible) GIF that shows what happens.

Anyway you can help me out?
    Unity 2015-05-16 15-38-09-25~1.gif

45. BHS

BHS

This is a Unity3d issue, but it's a very simple fix.

For some reason Unity will grab the brightest light object if you haven't applied a light source to the Sun component in the Environmental Lighting.

To fix it, simply apply the Sun_moon object to the Environmental Lighting Sun component.

46. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Do you mean this?
    Capture.PNG - near the bottom of the Unistorm editor?

It seems it already has Sun_Moon selected (presuming you meant this when you said Sun_moon).. And I just tested it again and it's still doing it.

Thanks for the quick replay, by the way.

Edit: And while I'm here, I have a couple other questions. First, I want to make the in-game time part of the GUI, so where exactly in your scripts do you "keep" or "record" the time?

Second, I'm planning a simulation game that involves stuff like growing plants in real-time (player-started--I'd like to make the whole world this way but it's already going to be CPU heavy as it is), which takes into account factors like amount of sunlight and rainfall. Can Unistorm help me with this?

Rainfall might be simpler, by making a factor for "heavy" or "light" rain and then applying it to the rain time. But for that I'd need a way to track rain time (having a trigger for when Unistorm starts up rain), and would need to be able to tell if it's heavy or light rain. Can I pull that data from Unistorm?

Not too sure about sun, the closest thing I can think of is a raycast from the sun to each terrain on the grid, an if it's successful then some effect triggers that adds up over time. But anyway, in light (heh) of this, I doubt the clouds have colliders, eh?

...or, I could do the same thing as the rain, though it'd be much less accurate--have a factor for sunny, partly cloudy, cloudy, etc. Anyway, basically I want to know how I would call these...apologies for poor terminology but how, when a new weather type activates, I could pull that trigger into a different script.

Again, sorry for the terrible terminology, I'm a bit of a n00b at this (but willing to learn!).

47. BHS

BHS

No problem.

I'm near a computer at the moment so I can't show you, but you go to Window>Lighting then you will see the Sun component. Apply the sun_moon light there.

48. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Aha! Many thanks, got it working.

I edited my above post, if you get the chance some further information would be great.

49. Jaqal

Jaqal

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UniStormWeatherSystem_C.FadeOutPrecipitation () (at Assets/UniStorm/Scripts/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_C.cs:3177)

Any idea why I'm getting this error. Tried a fresh install of Unistorm and I'm using latest version of Unity 5 Pro.

50. BHS

BHS

Strange, I've tested 2 imports, on 2 different computers, with no issues.

Do you have all the UniStorm components connected? Do you have the Unity 5 image effects in your scene?
    What is the error referencing?