Search Unity

[RELEASED] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Olander

Olander

Thanks for the reply. As for the Ambient Wind I hear nothing (I have a great headset) but hear the wind and rain when storming. So I assumed that there is no Ambient Wind. No matter really since I have several different wind effects depending upon which type of terrain there is. Hence the reason why a hook point for the Area/Scene/Zone wind type would be nice.

Yes definitely the Minimum Lighting is working much better on everything in a scene. The lighting is perhaps a little bright but I am darkening things with coloring to get a very nice feel. Once you update with the sliders I will definitely check the feature out.

To be honest v1.8.1 is working so well now (weather and temp) that I will be seriously reluctant to update. haha!!

Thank you for this update.

Cheers
    O

2. BHS

BHS

By Ambient Wind I thought you meant a wind zone that plays without a storm.

As for wind noises, you can use the Sound Manager to play random gusts. For wind ambience you could just have an empty gameobject with a sound component in it that loops a wind ambience noise.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  3. BHS

BHS

4. odin60

odin60

Has the moon size been changed in 1.8.1.1?

After upgrading, my moon size is small again and the slider does not seem to change it.

5. BHS

BHS

Nothing has changed with the moon and 1.8.1.1.

The slider controls the moon's size, but it's only done on start. So, you have to do it before you play the scene. It doesn't work while the scene is playing because the Start function has already happened.

6. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

Imported the new 1.8.1 and get 2 unassigned reference exceptions that keep the whole unistorm weather system from working:
    1. a light-flare object seems to be missing
    2. partly cloudy clouds 1 is also missing.
    Also why are there still js scripts mixed in with the c# prefab?
    Any solutions?

Edit: After I restarted Unity, the assignment issues are gone.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  7. BHS

BHS

Yes, all those are taken care of automatically when UniStorm starts. Good to hear it fixed itself after you restarted Unity.

8. twobob

twobob

I have a question regarding cameras

Essentially the "wasted 14000" is what is preventing us from using this product.

I note that the required distance for celestial objects is in excess of 15000, whereas to keep other effects happy - such as AO algorithms - this should be in the 0.3 -> 1000 range (ideally).

whereas I am imagining you actually place the clouds much lower (why wouldn't you, daft not to)

Is it possible to have a "smaller" world (maybe just extrapolating the relative celestial position via actual trig, as opposed to physical placement?)

I understand that the "lights" must physically be placed at these locations - but the "sun" and "moon" placeholder graphics I thought could just be "stuck on" much closer?

So, in a nutshell, is it a "requirement" to have such a huge camera FAR setting and, if so, is it only the sun and moon that use this?

Many thanks.

9. sacha

sacha

What about using a dual camera setup like suggested in their forum ?

One camera acting like your main camera with classic far range that fit your need and the second one dedicated to US only with the distance and clipping set to 12000 / 14000 ?

It works well.

My 2 cents

10. twobob

twobob

yeah, fair enough.
    Just seems like a lot of resources to chuck at a couple of celestial objects. I'll think on it. many thanks :)

11. imagoculturae

imagoculturae

Hi
    I just wanted to know if this system can be used at runtime.
    I need to change the weather at runtime.
    Many thanks
    Nic

12. twobob

twobob

yes it can

13. williamian

williamian

Hey, I am setting up Unistorm in my scene, copied all componects to my player, all seems to work fine, 1 small problem, I am using AtVoxel for my terrain, a voxel terrain package, and it does not seem to like the lighting, in this case, when the sun is overhead mostly, their is huge glare and washed out colors on the terrain, I have played with all the lighting options I can see, no luck. Works fine with your Unity terrain demo. I am using Unity free, any ideas, TY.

Looks like I figured out that issue, I just turned the light source under the weather/system, sun/moon into a point light instead of directional, fixed it, unless you have other ideas.

New issue, my player controller turns my player in place with left/right input, and it is turning the Unistorm clouds as well, looks really weird, I know we can create a separate camera but I really like my current setup, how can I stop that, any ideas, TY.

14. melonhead

melonhead

bhs any chance of getting the rain on screen effect script up on the wiki please.

or please put it into the next update, the effect in the 1.4 video was amazing and should be put back, or did this only work on unity pro?

thanks

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  15. BHS

BHS

Make sure you follow the tutorial exactly. It sound like you set something up incorrectly. The tutorial can be found here: http://unistorm-weather-system.wikia.com/wiki/Tutorials#Using_UniStorm_with_a_2_camera_setup

Also be sure you didn't mistakenly add any extra scripts to the clouds. It sounds like you may have a mouse move script on your clouds. Or your cameras aren't matching. Their position and movement has to be identical to the other camera.

This will also be a beat feature. Please see the wiki site below to find out how to become a beta tester.
    http://unistorm-weather-system.wikia.com/wiki/Beta_Features

16. melonhead

melonhead

thanks bhs beta tester email sent.

17. NightStorm_100

NightStorm_100

Also sent my Beta Test E-Mail. Cant wait to test Dynamic Snow

18. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Hey there. I've been looking for a weather asset and this looks interesting. However, I have a couple of questions about the functionality of the time system.

I'm trying to make a game that simulates days, months, and years. Obviously a day really can't be 24 hours, and no matter how short you make it you can't realistically go through each day and week and month to progress to years without an unnaturally long game time, blah blah blah--

What I want to know is this: can I change the actual time of each "day?" I'd assume this is in, but I want to make sure. Additionally, can I change...the "proportion" of each day in the date system? For example, I want make each in-game "day" be equivalent to a week in the game's "date" system. So four "days" would be an in-game month, twelve would be a season, etc. Is this possible with this asset?

19. Dastardly_Bryant

Dastardly_Bryant

Hello,

I seem to be having some trouble with Unistorm. As part of learning how it works, I'm trying to plug it in with UnityFS as a weather system for a small flight-sim. I went through the tutorial and switched all of the effects to my custom cameras. From within the editor, everything looks fine, but once I try to run the game, I get some serious fogging problems, as seen here:

Does anyone have any ideas? Might it be an issue with Unity 5 RC2?

20. radimoto

radimoto

I'm having an issue with Unity 5 RC2. If I set the weather type to Thunder Storm the "Dynamic Storm Cloud" GameObject causes some strange rendering issues.

Is anyone else having this issue? any ideas?

21. BHS

BHS

You can't change the length in hours with how long an in-game day is, but you can change the length of weeks and months. You would do this by altering the UniStorm script. We could easily assist you with this via a pm message through the Unity forums.

We plan on having adjustable date optioms implemented with version 1.8.2

I think this is due to the fog distance being so near. Try adjusting the fog distance to a higher value. If you are using the highest setting send us a pm here on the Unity Forums and we can extend the fog distance to whatever distances is needed with the UniStorm Editor.

I think this is due to the way that Unity 5 changed the way the transparency is handled with shaders.

We have a beta version of Unity 5 so we can start officially support it. From what we were told there can be Unity 4 version of assets and Unity 5 version of assets through the Asset Store.

We will let everyone know when we have finished UniStorm for Unity 5. It shouldn't take too long to figure out what has changed so we can make the necessary changes to UniStorm.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  22. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

So I couldn't make a day, say 4 hours? What do you have a day defined as, then?

The second part is good to hear.

23. sebeisdrache

sebeisdrache

Hello,
    this Projekt looks very interessting but I have a few Questions:

1: Is there a solution to sync the colud positions, over network?
    2: If player A is far away form player B, can they have differnet weather?
    3: If there is a House or a Cave, will it Rain in the Inside (keep Multiplayer in Mind)?
    4: I have a complex Skybox setup with some Planets with oribial behavior. A SkyBox Camera renders the SkyBox Subscene for my Active Player Camera, also the Sun position is calculated by the Planetary position. Is there a solution for this?

24. williamian

williamian

Sorry, I did not make myself clear, I am using only one camera and it is attached to my player along with all the unistorm scrips, I have not tried the 2 camera set up yet, I will if needed.

Is there a way to get the clouds to stop ,moving with my current setup, TY.

As for the horrible glare using voxel terrain, any ides on why that is happening? TY.

I also need that I do not seem to get any snow when I set it to the seasons needed for it, any ideas? TY.

I also registered on your Wiki forums, have not heard back, williamian@me.com, still cannot seem to post anything, TY.

25. melonhead

melonhead

is there a way to get more rain falling as the control stops at 1200 but still seems pretty soft for a storm just seems to need much more rain falling, lookking at some of the other rain/storm demos in the asset store they seem to have more rain like a heavy storm.. any ideas or do we need to change the script.

26. BHS

BHS

By 4 hours do you mean 4 real-time hours or you would want a day to only consist of 4 in-game hours?

A day is based on 24 hours, which can't be changed for now. If you wanted to have 4 "hour" long day you could simply make a new variable (newHour) and divide the current hour by 6 which would give you 4 newHour days.

We plan on adding new features for the time with UniStorm version 1.8.2. Maybe the above will help for now.

The clouds can be stopped by setting the cloud speed to 0 in the UniStorm Editor.

One of our other customers is also using a voxel terrain and had a similar problem. Due to the way the blocks were rendered, they disabled the sun light. They said this fixed the issue of things being too bright.

If you're having glare issues, you could try turning the glare down on the voxel terrain shader.

Snow happens in the Winter, but you must alos make sure that it is 32 degrees or below for it to snow. If you're using Celsius it's 0 degrees.

You should be able to post things after you have registered. We will look into it.

The rain amount was increased to 2,000 with UniStorm 1.8.1. What version are you using?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  27. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Four real-time hours, sorry. Basically this:

A day in the game takes 4 real-world hours (or maybe 8, I haven't decided for sure). Each in-game day is the equivalent of of an in-game week or month (again haven't decided, balancing a believable time with the need for time progression is hard), or is basically a time skip. That's what I was looking for.

28. melonhead

melonhead

BHS sorry i meant 2000, just still seems a bit like a rain shower rather than a storm, for my project i need it so that it can hardly be seen through, any chance this can be achieved.

also sent email for beta test 5 days ago and a resend but had no reply so far waiting t test the rain on screen effect script

thanks

29. BHS

BHS

When we get a chance we will send you a PM with instructions to make the necessary changes you need to the UniStorm script.

When we get a chance we will also send you a PM with instructions with how to increase the 2,000 limit with the rain. You will be able to increase the limit to any amount you need.

We emailed you back regarding your beta invite.

30. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Please note I have not yet purchased UniStorm. I was looking at it, but the availability of this function was (is) critical and I wanted to make sure that it had it. It sounds like you're saying UniStorm DOES have it with modification, is that correct? Just want to be sure.

31. BHS

BHS

Oh alright. That's not a problem.

Yes, we, or you, can change the max precipitation to any number you want.

You can also enable randomized precipitation via the UniStorm Editor, if desired, and UniStorm will generate random storm strengths according to your max value. So, for example, if you have a max value of 8,000, one storm could be 5,000 while the other storm could be 7,800. This allows no storm to look alike, is nice for more procedural storms, and the potential for "the perfect" storm.

32. fieryben

fieryben

Hey, quick question but an important one. I was thinking about buying this amazing system but it needs to work with the Oculus Rift DK2. Is it supported? Thanks.

33. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Heh, little bit of a mix-up here, I was the guy asking to change the real-world time of an in-game "day," and make each in-game day time-skip like a week or month (so that after an in-game day, the calender would show the next week instead of the next day).

34. melonhead

melonhead

bhs, when changing percipitation max for heavy rain to any number above 2000 press return key and it sets back to 2000 so it cannot be changed, please try these things out before posting answers that do not work, seems you have hardcoded the max at 2000 needs changing to let us set it ourselves

35. BHS

BHS

Sorry about that. When we get a chance we will test out altering the time changes to confirm they work as you need.

It does work but we stated that it requires a little modification to the UniStorm Editor script. The script has a max cap that can be changed to any number. When we get a chance, we will send you instructions with how to Increase the max rain value.

36. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Thanks.

37. melonhead

melonhead

thank you

38. BHS

BHS

Okay, after testing this seems to be possible.

To get 4 real-time hour days you would set the Day Length to 240 (4 real-time hours) or 480 (8 real-time hours). This is a standard UniStorm feature that can be done using the UniStorm Editor.

You would then change the month calculator to 1 instead of 31, within the UniStorm script (we could supply you with instructions when needed). This way each time a day is completed it changes the month by 1. So, for example, day 1 would be January (4 real-time hours later), day 2 would be February, and so on.

If this is what you are looking for it does seem to possible and it took less than a minute for me to modify the script.

If you're looking for anything additional we can easily help you modify the script. Just send us a PM and we will help you with whatever you need.

To increase the rain value within the UniStorm Editor, follow these instructions:

1) Open up your UniStorm Editor script. Either JS or C# whichever version you're using.

2) Change the following code to your liking, where 2,000 is the max amount the rain can reach. This number can be changed to any number you'd like.

Code (JavaScript):
    1. //JS
    2. target.maxStormRainIntensity = EditorGUILayout.IntSlider ("Heavy Rain Intensity", target.maxStormRainIntensity, 1, 2000);
    Code (CSharp):
    1. //C#
    2. self.maxStormRainIntensity = EditorGUILayout.IntSlider ("Heavy Rain Intensity", (int)self.maxStormRainIntensity, 1, 2000);

3) Save the script. You should be able to increase the rain's max value to the max number you put in the editor script via the UniStorm Editor.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  39. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Great to hear. Thank you.

40. melonhead

melonhead

bhs thank you, will check it out later today

41. NightStorm_100

NightStorm_100

I Emailed a week ago regarding the Beta..Did my request got lost? I will send another one.

42. sebeisdrache

sebeisdrache

*push*

Is there no solution?

43. Xtense

Xtense

I seem to be having a strange problem with Unistorm (1.8.1) on Unity 5 RC3. For some reason, running the demo always gives me a black sky, like so:

Changing the settings doesn't do much, mostly just moves the sun and activates other weather effects.

Perhaps strangest of all, the demo works without flaw on Unity 4.6. Any hints as to what may be causing these issues?

judah4 likes this.
  44. melonhead

melonhead

tried increasing max heavy rain but makes no difference even changing to 20000 gives no more rain that leaving it a t 2000, there must be some other coding that is keeping it at 2000

45. Kelkith

Kelkith

Unistorm does not seem to be working with Unity 5 yet. Any news on when it may be fixed? I'm also getting the black sky problem.

46. BHS

BHS

1) Syncing the Cloud's position should be possible. The cloud's position is based of Vector2. So, if you can get each of the Cloud's current mainTextureOffset, you should be able to sync the clouds.

2) Players should have their own weather particles, but the current weather is global. Unless each player had their own synced weather system.

3) Use this nifty script to stop rain when entering areas where you don't want rain. This is based off individual players. http://unistorm-weather-system.wiki...or_Enable_UniStorm_Particle_Effects_OnTrigger

4) I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but UniStorm can have a 2 camera setup if needed so distant objects are rendered using a second camera. The tutorial can be found here: http://unistorm-weather-system.wikia.com/wiki/Tutorials#Using_UniStorm_with_a_2_camera_setup

Strange, we have quite a few people using UniStorm with Unity 5. This is the first time we've seen this.

We plan on releasing UniStorm 1.8.2, which adds some new little features as well as some fixes, then we will begin testing with Unity 5.

As soon as we find the problem, we will provide a solution.

We just tested this and got rain over 9000. Make sure you have broken the prefab connection of the UniStorm System. Sometimes UniStorm will grab the values from the prefab instead of the values you've entered.

We just submitted a fix for this today. Values you enter, even when using a connected prefab, will save your values.

Its_Over_9000.png

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  47. BHS

BHS

UniStorm 1.8.2 has been submitted.

This update provides a fix for UniStorm Editor not keeping values entered, in some cases, and reverting back to the original prefab. For now, if you're using a UniStorm connected prefab, you need to have your the UniStorm System selected in the hierarchy and go to GameObject>Break Prefab Instance. With UniStorm 1.8.2 you will no longer need to do this.

We have also added Calender Options to the UniStorm Editor. This allows you to choose either Standard or Custom calender options. If Standard is selected, UniStorm now will calculate all the proper days in each month, as well as Leap Year, and work according to a real world calender. If Custom is selected, UniStorm will allow you to create your own custom calender system and follow it according to what you've set in the UniStorm Editor Calender Options.

Our next update will be full support for Unity 5. We will start on UniStorm 1.8.3 this week and will have it submitted asap.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  48. sebeisdrache

sebeisdrache

Here is my basic setup of the SkyBox Camera, the Rotation of the LocalSun Light is calculated relativ to the star postion in space, so the time of a day is based on the planets rotation.

Attached Files:

49. gegebel

gegebel

I've been testing UniStom with Unity5 and there seems to be a problem with a shader, as SetTexture combine is not supported as it used to be. There have been changes. Guess we will need Physically based shading sometime...

50. BHS

BHS

We will figure out something and PM it to you.

Yes, we have Unity 5 now and are making the necessary changes to make UniStorm fully compatible with Unity 5.

We are also going to implement tons of new Unity 5 features with UniStorm. Features like depth of field, rain screen effect, global fog, bloom, sun shafts, global illumination, procedural shading for the sky and skybox, and tons more.

We are currently working on all of this and we will post the Unity 5 fixes as a quick update as soon as we rewrite some shaders.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    judah4 likes this.