Search Unity

[RELEASED] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. EvansGreen

EvansGreen

YES! A step in the 100% right direction. Cheers BHS.

2. shwa

shwa

@BHS: I'm not sure because shooting stars aren't entirely practical for all types of games. If enough of the UniStorm community wants the feature than we can make it happen.

---
    Having a check box to turn them on and off would give developers the ability use them or not.

I'd like to be able to control whether they are on or off, and have some control on how many stars a second, direction, etc.

3. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

C# version is super exciting! That will make integration much easier. If you go fully C# you could avoid some of the loading order hacks that you have to do to get it to work with the snow shader too; it might make it easier to package.

4. Acelondoner

Acelondoner

Good to finally see a C# version on it's way.

5. RayWolf

RayWolf

The new timelapse video looks awesome. Thx for adding some of the new-in-assetstore-medieval assets, this is very inspiring. The c# stuff too of course, Im flashed again, best package and support. thx!!

regards,
    Ray

6. EvansGreen

EvansGreen

By the way, I know it's a bit off topic, but what's the asset you used for the waterfalls on the first environment of the new show reel??

I'm looking for an efficient, good way of doing them, and I'm curious.

Thx for your answer!

7. BHS

BHS

The waterfall effects are from Michael O's Medieval Environment on the Asset Store as well as the models.

8. EvansGreen

EvansGreen

Thanks a lot! I'll take a look at them!

9. adriend

adriend

Hello,

A friend and I are trying to setup UniStorm inside of a scene. In my scene, it works "well", I created a terrain, dragged dropped UniStorm prefab in the scene and when I hit "run", it works.
    I commited all of this and my friend tried the scene. However, he gets this error :

UnassignedReferenceException: The variable terrainObject of 'UniStormWeatherSystem' has not been assigned.
    You probably need to assign the terrainObject variable of the UniStormWeatherSystem script in the inspector.
    UniStormWeatherSystem.WeatherForecaster () (at Assets/UniStorm/Scripts/UniStormWeatherSystem.js:1889)
    UniStormWeatherSystem.Update () (at Assets/UniStorm/Scripts/UniStormWeatherSystem.js:416)

His project is exactly the same as mine.

I read that someone had the same problem, and the answer was "As for your terrain problem I think you have to break the prefab connection then try attaching your terrain object."

What do you mean by "attaching your terrain object" ? To what and where ?

Last thing, in my scene, that is mostly working, the snow is not stacking up however - dynamic snow is activvated. And I can't say the documentation about this is really clear. Any help on that would be really nice too.

10. EvansGreen

EvansGreen

You're having common problems with the engine. Both of your problems, as far as I've been able to understand, are possibly related to Unity's way of reimporting assets. A simple reimport should fix the first one. For the second one you have to select the SnowSystem object, child of WeatherSystem/UniStormPrefab, and you'll see an empty field in the inspector, in "Script". Drag the snow script you have in your plugin files there and it should fix it. Can't certainly tell, though, as some people are having the kind of errors that only happen on full moon wednesdays when they went to the cinema and ate nachos... It seems like there is a component of randomness with some errors with the package.

11. EvansGreen

EvansGreen

I answered to your PM, add me to skype and I'll try to help you out!

12. FKGOwner

FKGOwner

mine has 15 errors please HELP I really want to use this system I got sent it over skype (as a package) its for a project. PLEASE HELP!!!

13. EvansGreen

EvansGreen

I'm sorry but you couldn't be less specific about your errors or the help required... Organize your thoughts and express yourself : )

14. FKGOwner

FKGOwner

Ok sorry Heres a video

Here is a Picture of the errors
    $123.PNG

This is the latest version of unity 4 and I have deleting unistorm and put it back in several times.

15. EvansGreen

EvansGreen

It's not importing it correctly for some reason. A total reimport might work. If it doesn't, try to manually import it into Unity4, that file, into the plugins folder, and see if it works. It's all the same error really, you don't have the CustomTerrainScriptAtsV3snow bla bla file.

16. elbows

elbows

Try buying it!

17. SimtropBuggi

SimtropBuggi

I would love to integrate the weather systems in UniStorm with the phenomonal volumetric clouds of Nuaj.

I have a couple feature requests which would make UniStorm a must use in my game.
    1. Is lightning only cloud-to-ground? The majority of real lightning is cloud-to-cloud, when it does strike the ground I would like to be able to get access to the world coords of the strike so I may include the ability to start a fire at the location.

2. Climate zones - My game will feature large landscapes that would need their own climate. Higher altitudes would need a colder more snowy look while lower or desert-like areas would need their own settings for storm/rain frequency.

3. An overall temperature for the climate zones to allow for seasonal weather. Stormy in the 'summer' and unmelting snow in the winter. If the system knows it is December/January in the area the camera is in, then when the sun is shining the snow still should not melt as the temperature would still be below 32*F. My game will simulate the current month and need to be able to set temperatures in the climate zones.

To illustrate these features, imagine you have 10x10 1024x1024 terrain tiles, there would be a mountainous area that would need a colder climate zone and a low river valley that would need more temperate weather. In my game only a few of those terrains would be loaded and simulated at any given time, so the entire land-scape wouldn't need to be processed, just the terrains I have loaded and the climate zones they have. I imagine a climate zone being a giant cube-like polygon that encompasses the terrain. The entire terrain should have a default climate and the addition of climate zones would over-ride this default.

Is this doable? I hope so, as it would add a huge level of awesome to the game I'm working on.

18. BHS

BHS

I believe sharing a copy of an asset is against the terms of use. One person cannot buy it and share it with another person. If you buy your own copy from the Asset Store I'm sure it would work just fine.

19. FKGOwner

FKGOwner

Never mind I fixed the problem oh and it was a joint purchase so technically it's not against the rules :D but I got it now and will it work without pro?? Because it said this file will not work with this version of unity.

20. elbows

elbows

You have a poor understanding of the rules. We were all young once but your cheek is still not appreciated.

21. FKGOwner

FKGOwner

What??? I don't think it said anything about a joint purchase or dose it, it was a while since i read the rules :3

22. EvansGreen

EvansGreen

I didn't read the fact that you didn't buy the product.

What you did is 100% against the rules, and there is no such thing as "joint purchase". Your bill has a name, and every individual user needs to have bought the asset, as the asset store license per seat.

I second elbows opinion, if you want to get the asset for free it's up to you what you do to achieve it, but coming here seeking developer support for your illegal asset is flat out wrong. Despite the devs being polite, to say the least, with your comments.

23. EvansGreen

EvansGreen

@BHS: Hi there! I know this one is a tricky question, but I'm working within a team of 8 members, and we decided to wait until next UniStorm release to include it and adjust it into our project (The current version is in JS, and it has too many issues), so do you have an estimated (even if it's roughly) time for the release of the 1.6.3 version?

If it's too far away to tell, that's an aswer too, I just wanted to know if it's something relatively imminent, or we should start working with the old version and sort of "try to port the changes" later on.

Thanks a lot for your answer!

E.

24. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

That's like 50 people paying a dollar each to make a "joint purchase" of a game and then everyone makes copies of the one disc. Still piracy, just they paid $1 instead of $0. Unity software is the same as pretty much all other software; each person has to buy their own copy.

25. alan-lawrance

alan-lawrance

BHS: Possible bug to fix for 1.6.3.

In UniStormWeatherSystem.js, various settings (such as sun color, skybox, etc.) are set based on the timeOfDay variable.

The timeOfDay variable has a valid range of 0-12, but the code only accounts for the value being from 0-9. You'll notice the last if statement is for day:

//Calculates day
    if(timeOfDay>8&timeOfDay<10){

Normally this is OK, since time will progress forward and the settings for timeOfDay past 9 will just continue to be re-used. However, in the case of startTime being initialized to 10AM-noon, these settings will not get set.

Hope that makes sense. I changed the day check for timeOfDay to:

//Calculates day
    if(timeOfDay>8&timeOfDay<=12){

Which fixes the obvious problem, but I'm not sure if this is the proper fix.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  26. FKGOwner

FKGOwner

Fine I will just buy a copy -_- But if I do get this game done Who wants a demo????

27. EvansGreen

EvansGreen

Nobody is asking you to buy a copy. I couldn't really care less mate. I'm not a pound richer if you do.

We're just asking you to stop coming to the devs page and brag about your illegal copy, while you ask for dev support, that's all. I guess education is the word.

28. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

Hi BHS, it's been some time since the last statement of progress on UniStorm 1.63. Just wondering is there still something to come some time soon?

Edit: Also I was just looking through the asset store and found "Nuaj" and was wondering if you plan on adding volumetric clouds and ground fog any time down the road?
    I actually wonder if I should buy "Nuaj" for the 100 bucks if it works out of the box, anyone here know if it works with Unity 4?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  29. SevenBits

SevenBits

Just leave it. He clearly doesn't care.

30. Deleted User

Deleted User

Is there any progress in UniStorm 1.63 ? Just wanting to know on the IF possible release date of the update. If of course it is possible to to say :).

31. gekidoslair

gekidoslair

Hello,

Just experimenting with the system, trying to get it integrated into my scene. Is the only documentation the 1 page word doc in the 'documentation' folder? I drag the prefab into my scene and everything is placed at like -1500 in the world and the player / camera is stuck pointing at the sky by default. This seems a bit strange considering how much the asset is worth. I would expect at least a minimal tutorial to walk you through setting it up with a basic scene or something.

This plus you have to assume that NO ONE is going to use your default player / camera setup for their games - how do we set this up for our own custom player / camera systems? Is it just a matter of dragging the game objects as children of our player objects?

Having to search through source code to even figure out how to configure the various weather types (even in the so-called 'demo' scenes) is kind of below the quality I would expect for something like this. An asset like this lives an dies by the quality of the documentation - there are so many moving parts that it's next to impossible to figure out if things are even working properly, let alone how to use them.

Just my 2 bits.

32. gekidoslair

gekidoslair

Here's a shot of the lighting strangeness...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  33. BHS

BHS

Most of that is doable, but it isn't something we could implemement because a lot of it is specifically for your game and game type. The snow melts at anything about 32*F because there has to be some cutoff for when it snows and when it starts to rain.
    The snow on the terrain is only possible because of a hacked terrain shader. Simulating snow by height is possible and can be adjusted within the snow script settings.
    I'm not sure how you would go about climate zones, but the best way I could think of would be to use triggers. Have gaint trigger zones in each different climate area. If the player has a collision with one of the climat zones, and there's percipitation, then activate the weather according to that climate via trigger.

Thanks we will look into this.

Yes, and we appologize to everyone for the delay. We are working on 3 of our major systems UniStorm, UniStorm Mobile, and ROS. We plan for all of these to have a close realse date and we are trying to get everything done asap.
    As for a date I would say no more than a month. Could be earlier than a month we're not entirely sure.

The documentation should be 15 pages long and in PDF format. It was included with the system and should be there. The other 1 page document is simply for a fast and quick setup. The UniStorm documentation that is 15 pages long should cover everything you need to get the system running, as well as any questions or problems there might be.
    Is there a PDF file containing the UniStorm documentation?

34. FKGOwner

FKGOwner

yer I guess and I still have those errors this is annoying because it is a epic system!!!!

35. BHS

BHS

Well maybe if you had bought the system instead of having your friend send you a copy it would work. You've already stated that you got the system for free so we will not help you until you purchase your own legitimate copy from the Asset Store.

36. FKGOwner

FKGOwner

Thats just the thing iv brought it now and it still wont work and its all to do with the snow is it because I have the latest version of unity I.E version 4 (or something like that) and it still wont work :( iv imported it got rid of it and even reinstalled unity BUT NOTHING WORKS :( I am super confused and I really want to use the epic system that you have made!!!!!

37. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

So are you talking about the PDF that actually contains 7 pages? and starts with the headline Unistorm 1.2 ??? Because that's the only one in the folder "Documentation"

Also I started a brand new empty project from scratch including Unistorm; Still it comes up with an error message.

BTW, why would anyone pay a cent for your unfinished not working system? I hope that many more only share your f...d up asset instead of buying it for their hard earned money, only to find out that after months it still does not work. You already promised months ago that it would be fixed in a few weeks.

38. BHS

BHS

Our system does works perfectly fine and there are plenty of happy customers. There's just the rare few that have the import error, which is an easy fix by reimporting the image effects.

There should be updated documentation with 15 pages on how to setup, FAQs, and troubleshoot. Is this why everyone's saying the documentation isn't good? We completely redid the documentation and if it wasn't uploaded with the system on the Asset Store than there was a problem. If you check the package contents on the Asset Store for UniStorm you can see there's a PDF file called UniStorm Documentation. It should be there when you update the system. If it's not I have no idea why it's not there. If anyone needs it we will send it to you and we apologize for any inconveniences. It was there when we submitted the project as of 1.6.2.

We have apologized for the delay. It's hard being a developer especially when you have multiple systems and people requesting a release date. We are working hard on getting all new versions of our products completed and UniStorm is our main priority.

Our system works out of the box. What happens is that some have the import error, which I believe you have, and we are working on a fix. If this happened to everyone I think there would be a lot more posts about it, but it only seems to happen to a few. This is the hard part because it seems to be a slightly inconsistent bug and we are trying to figure it out. It could be certain versions of Unity but we will get everything fixed asap as promised.

Could you tell us the problems? I'm sure we could help you out.

39. MrScary

MrScary

Umm... not really :)

Just bought it.. downloaded UniStorm 1.6.2. Looking forward to playing with it. Would really love to get the C# version as I hate javascript and all the potential bad programming practices it allows. The errors people are seeing when they first install it are probably the same ones I'm seeing. I have a C# project and my build platform is set to iOS. I suggest you try importing the package into a project like this to see the errors..At the very least add #pragma strict to the top of all the js files and fix the bugs that show up. No offense, but really for a pack that's been out as long as this these errors should have been cleared up already.... but for everyone's sake, here are the fixes (in most cases you have to add var in front of the variable names):

UniStorm.js - change the code to the following:

Code (csharp):
    2. var randomRotateNumber = Mathf.Lerp(minRotationAmount, maxRotationAmount, randomRotateRange);
    3. ...
    4. var randomRotateNumberX = Mathf.Lerp(minRotationAmountX, maxRotationAmountX, randomRotateRangeX);
    5. ...
    6. var randomRotateNumberZ = Mathf.Lerp(minRotationAmountZ, maxRotationAmountZ, randomRotateRangeZ);
    UniStormWeatherSystem.js - add the following:

Code (csharp):
    2. //Snow particle density controls
    3. private var minSnowIntensity : float;
    4. private var minSnowFogIntensity : float;
    5. private var snowScript : CustomTerrainScriptAtsV3Snow;  // <-- add this
    6. ...
    8. var cloudScrollSpeedCalculator = cloudSpeed * .001;
    9. var heavCloudScrollSpeedCalculator = heavyCloudSpeed * .001;
    (More in the same file in various places - search for the variable name):

Code (csharp):
    2. var starSpeedY = .7;
    3. var starSpeedY2 = .4;
    4. var starSpeedY3 = .09;
    5. var starSpeedY4 = .04;
    6. var starSpeedY5 = .004;
    Regards,
    Andrew

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  40. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

Hi Andrew, thanks for sharing your expertise with the community.
    BHS should stop claiming this works out of the box and get serious into fixing this. Maybe also contact the Unity support team, if there is a problem, I'm sure they will help to get it solved.
    I also absolutely want a C# version.
    @BHS, take your time and develop one version at a time and make it work, I don't know why you are developing 3 versions at the same time and the main version still has issues.
    Than you for the good work so far.

Edit: and I only still have a 7 page "old v 1.2" manual.

41. MrScary

MrScary

I recommend you create a new project. Import the UniStorm package, and then delete the old stuff from your "real" project and copy over the new. I always do this with any new packages I import just incase the developers are doing some crazy stuff I can see it first before it pollutes my project :)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  42. alan-lawrance

alan-lawrance

Does UniStorm have any out-of-the-box method to kill particles using a collider or anything like that? I'm thinking of a situation where the player is inside a structure (with a roof), and you want the particles (rain or snow) to be falling outside the structure, but not inside.

43. alan-lawrance

alan-lawrance

Huh, turns out the particles collide by default with geometry! You can control it through the World Collider component on the particle system.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  44. SimtropBuggi

SimtropBuggi

I am waiting on the C# version to commit to this asset. Hopefully the OP updates soon!

45. Member123456

Member123456

Same

46. phato777

phato777

As am I

47. SevenBits

SevenBits

Yeah, for me, no C# equals no purchase.

48. Deh_18

Deh_18

Hi! Great package, worth every penny. I have a question, don't know if you guys could help me. The position of sunrise and sunset is wrong in my project, is there any way to rotate the Unistorm (90 degrees to be exact)?
    Sorry for my English.

49. BHS

BHS

Because of the way UniStorm's rotations are handled you can't rotate the sunrise and sunset at this time. You can simple rotate you scene to achieve a similar effect.

Yes, we are working hard on a C# version of UniStorm. It takes time to convert a 4,500+ line system. We are also working on a C# editor. We can assure you we are working hard and a C# version of UniStorm will be released soon.

Missing Proper UniStorm Documentation:

If anyone is missing the 15 page documentation please let us know. We will send it to you so you can get the full use of UniStorm. The 15 page documentation will help you get setup and will answer any questions or problems you may have. It was included with the system but for some reason some of you are missing it. Sorry for any inconveniences. Just send us a PM and we will send it to you.

50. phato777

phato777

This is great news. I look forward to the release and hope that soon means sooner than later :)