Search Unity

[RELEASED] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. virror

virror

There is only one in the plugins folder, the correct one, but when i open the example projects they have the "CustomTerrainScriptAtsV2" script attached and i get a run time error because that script does not have all the variables.

Any clue why i don't get any clouds or weather at all?

2. virror

virror

Any help with this?

3. shwa

shwa

I think keeping a demo scene available is important for some people, including myself.
    whether it's part of the unity asset store download or available privately.

I had significant problems getting unistorm to work properly in my project, so i based my current demo on using the demo scene, and tweaking that, so i could have unistorm working well and quickly.

*BHS. I like the new stars in 1.6.2. Brought them into my project that uses 1.6.1.

Shooting stars would be interesting.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  4. proso

proso

Hi,

Do you already have the option to set the julian date (exact time and date of the year) based on gps location (longtitude, latitude)?

Thanks

5. BHS

BHS

I'm not sure, have you tested the demo in a new project?

As of right now, no.

6. virror

virror

It looked like the example scene worked, could at least get rain in it. I wanted to use my own character and camera, so tried to copy over everything as i wrote in a previous post, maybe that has something to do with it?

7. BHS

BHS

Most likely yes. If you miss any components, even image effects, UniStorm will error. You have to make sure you add everything which the documentation covers. Also make sure you add the camera to UniStorm when you're finished.

8. virror

virror

I have added all effects to the new character and made sure they are added to unistorm as well, also added the camera to unistorm, dont get any errors at all just dont seems to work. No clouds, rain or anything. Just the sun and moon thats working.

9. BHS

BHS

Is the far clipping plane on the camera set to 15,000? This is what allows you to see distant objects like the clouds.

Also could you provide a screenshot so I can get an idea of what's happening?

10. EvansGreen

EvansGreen

So I bought UniStorm 1.6 a few hours ago to test its potential and try to play around with it in order to learn how to implement its capabilities in my future creations, but I'm having troubles with one thing, despite it being a fantastic, well crafted, and more or less intuitive system (Though I would encourage the devs to be slightly more precise and exemplifying in the documentation :p)

How do I change the weather, not totally randomly, but according to certain events?

For instance, if I want to change the weather to "Rainy", when the player walks past a certain point, how could I implement that, or reference the core scripts to do so.

Thanks a lot in advance, I appreciate any help or clue given, and for those of you who haven't tried UniStorm, I'd suggest to go ahead and take a look :)

E.

11. BHS

BHS

Sent you a PM

12. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

I have 2 questions about UniStorm:

1) Firstly does it use Shuriken or the legacy particle system?
    2) Will it work with a multiple camera setup? I noticed in previous posts that a camera has to be assigned for UniStorm to work. However in my case I am using 5 base cameras (3rd person view, 1st person view etc) which the user can switch between whenever they like. Each of these 5 cameras further has 2 cameras parented for handling distance/LOD based culling. So at any given point there are three cameras viewing the scene at the one time (1 for close objects, 1 for medium ones, 1 for distant objects). So I am wondering if this kind of setup would work with UniStorm.

13. Jason210

Jason210

Looks great and sounds like the perfect solution for me. Is it fully tweakable?

Also, you mention stars are modelled. Are they modelled "accurately"? Meaning, can you set your lon lat position and have an accurate representation of the night sky?

14. virror

virror

Here is a very copy pasted image of the setup i use and a small screen of how it looks in game.
    Right-click to look as full size.
    As you can see i have included all particle effect in the camera, set correct far distance and added all references back to the unistorm setup but i guess there is something i have done wrong. No compiler warnings or errors.

$unistormSetup.JPG

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  15. Jason210

Jason210

Virror, can I ask what you are using for the water, tack :)

16. virror

virror

Använder water4 som följer med Unity, dock pro varianten : )

"Using water4" : )

17. kinl

kinl

Has anyone found a way to make this work with Ultimate FPS? I searched through the post and tried disabling all camera effects, It only shows me a gray sky and the lighting doesn't animate, when i swap back to uniski controller it work perfectly.

I'm sorry if I missed the answer already.

Kinl

18. SevenBits

SevenBits

Likely a problem with layering off of the cameras and/or the rendering order.

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi,

I purchased and imported unistorm yesterday, and it destroyed my whole project - all the scenes inside the project don´t work anymore

I don´t understand, why unistorm replaces (and then messes up) several components of my project - from image effects to players and cameras... I would have hoped for a solution that leaves your scenes as they are and just adds unistorm

I am really a Unity noob - so these problems may be bigger to me than to experienced unity users... hoping for an update...

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

I would have been interested in the answer to this question as well... why sending a PM and not answering the question for all of us????

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

I am looking for the "weather forecaster", but don´t find it... ?

the documentation is a mess

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2012
  22. EvansGreen

EvansGreen

Hi again! I received the dev's PM, and he showed interest and I felt like he was really trying to help (though he only asked me for more information about my problem, cause I was a little too vague on explaining the exact problem). I haven't received an answer yet, but I think I will soon. I might post it here and discuss some of the possibilities of the system that I've been exploring these last days.

I tend to agree with Thousand in that the documentation is, let's just say, not as organised as it should be (You get stuff from different versions, and the screenshots are not up to date, with some instructions just being out of date because the whole system works different in the last version), but I have to say that it's not a matter of information "lacking", rather than a matter of being a bit disorganised and difficult to find, when you're trying to solve a concrete problem.

Again, Thousand, I managed to solve some of my problems by mere experimentation, so if I can help you in any way, feel free to ask me any question you want, I'll do my best to share my experiences with UniStorm with you (Don't expect nothing expectacular, though, I'm not precisely a Unity expert :p).

PS: I'd like to reinforce the idea of general questions being answered in the post, as these may serve other people, and help the undecisive to purchase the software!

23. Deleted User

Deleted User

He EvansGreen,

thanks for your reply! I am new to unity, so my question might be sort of basic.

After having purchased and imported unistorm 1.6.1 into my project, it first seemed to work. But then if I hit the play button, I got the message "All compiler errors have to be fixed before you can enter playmode!"
    if I had the slightest idea of coding, I could "Open the Console (Windows->Console) and double-click every one of these lines with a red mark in fron of them. This brings up your code-editor. Fix all errors in your scripts, and try again."

but unfortunately my background is games modeling + texturing, that´s why I try to avoid getting into coding. anyway. anyway I had hoped that unistorm wouldn´t change the way my project (a simple, small environment) works.

so I reopened a scene that I had saved earlier, hoping that the error mentioned above wouldn´t show up... but... again I get the message "All compiler errors have to be fixed before you can enter playmode!"

I guess unistorm has overwritten some files in my project, and this is causing the older scenes not to work. so I have reimported the files that I think (and read) unistorm overwrites (image effects), but that didn´t change a thing.

The first thing I would like to know is: How do I remove unistorm from my project and get my older scene-versions running again without getting into scripting?
    Next thing: How to set up unistorm 1.6 properly to use it with a custom project; i found several different workflows, all with quite same manual reconnecting things, can you give me an advice with which workflow (from which documentation) to integrate unistorm into my project properly?

generally speaking, a detailed video tutorial which shows the workflow for a basic setup would really help! and I think it is the best way to sell your product and to focus support; I haven´t found one single video tutorial about unistorm on youtube - but loads of demos...

so... I hope that there will be a smart way for this product to work for me

thanks!

EDIT: I got my older scene working by deleting the first person controller, standard assets, image effect scripts, unistorm, then reimporting standard assets and recreating the first person controller.
    So I know how to remove unistorm by now...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2012
  24. virror

virror

Well, the compiler errors was probably easy to fix if you had posted them here, i also had some when i first imported the latest package.

25. BHS

BHS

We just bought the system for a side project so we will test it and figure it out, but it's on the developer's of the ultimate fps camera side that need to find a fix. The way their system is made is weird because some image effects don't work, GUI text, and GUI textures don't work so it has something to do with the way they do the layering.

I'm sorry to hear that. If you need any help send us a PM and we will walk you through things and help you out.

You mean in the editor, it's there. The documentation will be updated with 1.6.3 we had to do a LOT of work in a short amount of time. You can change the weather by using the wcps by pressing F12. The list of weather commands are listed in the documentation.

Sorry for the errors, with 1.6.3 we will be updating the system and fix this problem. It's a Unity problem but we will figure out what's causing and get things fixed.

26. EvansGreen

EvansGreen

@Thousand: Sent you a PM

27. virror

virror

Any idea?

28. BHS

BHS

I'm not sure. Are you using the ultimate fps camera or multiple camera layers? Does this problem occur in the demo scene?

29. kinl

kinl

Thank you BHS, I will wait with baited breath for your results.. :) I'm stumped, but then it doesn't take much to stump me ;)

30. virror

virror

No ultimate fps camera, just ordinary camera with standard fps controller and no special layers at all.

31. BHS

BHS

Hm very strange. Have the cloud textures been changed this could be why. What version of unity are you using? Does the original demo scene work?

32. virror

virror

Using Unity 4, just checked the demo scene and after a few fixes (had to add the correct snow script and the MoonLight thing) i got rid of all the errors and got snow, rain and sun/moon cycle but no clouds at all still : /

So it seems like there are two separate problems, one with clouds and one with the weather thats obviously on my side, but the clouds could be on your side, not sure yet.

33. BHS

BHS

Hmm. It sounds like the shaders are missing. What cloud materials are on the clouds?

34. virror

virror

Seems to be correct, i will attach some screens from a few cloud objects as reference.
    One cloud has a totally white texture, but maybe it should be that way.

$CloudInspectors.JPG

35. EvansGreen

EvansGreen

Hi! I sent you a PM a few days ago with some questions about the implementation of some features. I'd love if you could briefly help with those. I'd like to add here a general question that have caused me some trouble when using UniStorm lately.

-When unistorm is applied, all the shaders for your terrains (the already created and the new) change to a different one, and quite frankly, a more demanding and not-necessarily-better-looking one :p. How can I revert that setting in order to use a regular shader with the textures of my terrain? Is that change of textures necessary for some lghtning or reflection issue related to the way UniStorm functions?

I'll attach some pictures to this so you can see the difference, I created a new project with two scenes with a terrain painted with the same texture. One with UniStorm prefab in it, one without it. The UniStorm one looks like it uses a bumped-like shader.

This is the UniStorm one

This is the regular one

36. Jason210

Jason210

Can anyone tell me if if stars are they modelled "accurately", in the sense that can you set your lon lat position and have an accurate representation of the night sky?

37. virror

virror

EvansGreen: I guessi t has to do with the snow shader, you probably have to remove that but then you will loose the ability to have snow on the terrain.

Jason210: No, they are not modeled "accurately", but they still look good ; )

38. EvansGreen

EvansGreen

@virror: Thanks for the tip, but how am I supposed to "fix" that? The terrain doesn't specifically show a shader in the inspector itself, so I don't know how to avoid the whole snow thing, which, on the other hand, is not actually working (snow doesn't accumulate).

39. EvansGreen

EvansGreen

Allright, a major gotcha got me here... I took a map design and assigned some checkpoints to make the weather change according to them, but all of a sudden I realised that I code in C#, and all the scripts of UniStorm are in UnityScript. How can I access the UniStormSystem by a script written in C#?

I know it's common practice to get your compilation order right by locating your accessed scripts in the Standard assets folder while you keep your accessor scripts out of it, but will it affect UniStorm in any way? Will it work properly after changing the way it's organised in the folders?

Thanks for your interest!

Update: When I tried to do that, I get 30 compiler errors, all like this, in different parts of UniStormSystem:

Assets/Standard Assets/UniStorm/Scripts/UniStormWeatherSystem.js(3405,63): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'CustomTerrainScriptAtsV3Snow'.

Update2: That messed my whole project and can't replace the files back in their place. Now it doesn't compile. Any solutions will be very welcome...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  40. virror

virror

Dont have a clue about that, never use Javascript files, and because i cant get unistorm to work atm i have not started that.
    To get rid of the Unistorm terrain shaders just delete them, the terrain assigns new shaders automatically if there is any alternatives.

41. EvansGreen

EvansGreen

Thanks a lot virror! I appreciate your interest in my problem, you're a commited community member for not being the dev here :p!

I haven't located the concrete shaders that are causing the problem, cause the folder organisation/naming is everything except intuitive.

I managed to do what I wanted by just grinding my teeth while I rewrote the actual code for the zone system of the map in javascript. I used another version of the project cause the most recent one is completely utterly messed up.

I would appreciate an official answer from the devs, cause right now I'm just toying around cause I can't continue working on the project... :S.

42. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

Can UniStorm Mobile ONLY be used on mobile devices, or can it be used on desktops and exported to standalone and web player builds as well?
    I don't have a Unity Mobile license and am only using Unity Free/Indie, so would UniStorm Mobile be usable for me?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  43. captain_cab

captain_cab

I am seeing the same problem. I create an empty scene with a terrain that has 4 textures on it. Looks good until I added the unistorm prefab 1.6.2. Then it looks like a strange bump map is added to the terrain like the one EvanGreen shows. I didn't notice the problem until I switched to unity 4.

captain_cab

44. Deleted User

Deleted User

sounds familiar to me... i wonder when 1.6.3 will be out

45. BHS

BHS

Sorry for the late replies everyone been busy with the holidays.

I'm not sure why you're having issues. Everything you've shown me is working fine. Only thing I can think of is that something didn't import properly or there's a complication with your project. Try using UniStorm in a new blank project and see if it works. We'll keep eliminating things till we find out what's causing the problem.

This happens because the snow shader uses bumpmaps on the terrain to simulate proper snow build up, but it should only happen when it starts to snow. We haven't fully tested UniStorm in Unity 4.0 so that could be why, but if you don't want that you can just remove the terrain snow shader. Look at the documentation and it will show you how. The terrain shader replaces the old one so once you remove the snow shader it will use the original one.

If you'd like to do what you're saying I'd suggest removing the snow shader from the project. In your situation it seems to be causing problems. You got those errors because things are tied down by the snow shader. Refer to the documentation like I said above to show you how.

UniStorm mobile is more simple than the desktop version so it can preform well with mobile devices. Even if you don't have pro the desktop version of UniStorm will still look better than the mobile version if you plan on using it for desktop. UniStorm mobile can be used for the desktop if you want, it just won't look as good as the desktop version.

Read what I wrote to EvansGreen above, since you guys are having similar problems.

We're working on it. I don't like to give release dates because sometimes they're not accurate, but it will be out as soon as possible. We will try to fix the problems some of you are having. Are you using Unity 4? Unity 4 hasn't be tested yet and that could be why.

46. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

47. markfrancombe

markfrancombe

48. BHS

BHS

That's strange, what version of UniStorm are you using? It seems like the weather type changed but it was instant instead of transitioning.

49. BHS

BHS

We got UniStorm to work with the Ultimate FPS Camera for whoever wants to know.

Go to the FPSCamera and set the far clipping plane to 15,000 and you will be able to see all objects for UniStorm.

50. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

Would it be possible to have a web demo of UniStorm Mobile, even if it's simple like the UniStorm one? The youtube videos are very dark and have a lot of glare so it's difficult to get a sense of visuals and effects. Also, and I don't mean to rush in anyway, but is there a rough estimate of when the mobile version will be getting the UniStorm 1.6 feature upgrades (lightning, snow etc) mentioned on the UniStorm Mobile forum thread?