Search Unity

[RELEASED] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. BHS

BHS

Thanks for the suggestions! It is always appreciated.

We will be doing more code improvements within the next few updates.

UFPS Multiplayer hasn't been tested. These errors are usually associated with not assigning something to the UniStorm Editor.

That looks like the Global Fog. Try adjusting the values of the Global Fog image effect. It should give you the results you're looking for.

It looks like you're missing the Sun Shafts image effect. Attach a Sun Shafts image effect to your camera that is using UniStorm.

Yes, you would just set the Day and Night Length to a low value to fast forward the hour needed then set it back when the hour is reached.

2. MegaFlash

MegaFlash

Already have a sun shaft (the same values as the moon one except for threshold color and for the shaft caster I am using Moon in the gray color one and Sun in the pink color)

3. BHS

BHS

Make sure that your Sun's Sun Shaft is before the Moon's Sun Shaft. Also, make sure that your camera that has the Sun Shafts is the camera that's attached to the Camera Object in the UniStorm Editor under Object Options.

4. buronix

buronix

Thanks, indeed the problem is the fog I tried to uncheck the "auto enable fog" and doesnt work cause :
    Line 638 of UnityStormWeatherSystem_C => RenderSettings.fog = true;

It will be awesome to have an option to remove the regular fog and allow only fog in some weathers, for now I removed the 638 line and the fog from my scene, I will try to add it manually on my way.

5. Theekshana-A

Theekshana-A

Hi there, I am getting these errors, I have been trying to get them fixed all morning but it doesn't seem to work.

6. BHS

BHS

You can disable the fog from automatically being enabled by going to the Fog Options and disabling Auto Enable Fog.

Do you have the Standard Assets image effects in your scene? If you don't, go to Assets>Import Package>Effects to fix your issue.

7. CPFacade

CPFacade

Well...that makes me sad :(. I also seem to be having problems getting the dynamic clouds to show. I've tried following the wiki but none of it worked. I'm running Unity 5.3.0 Is this a known issue?

8. BHS

BHS

We haven't had any issues with Unity 5.3.0, but I'd recommend upgrading to Unity 5.3.3. UniStorm works fine with no issues.

As for the UFPS multiplayer, I would recommend having an instance of UniStorm for each of your players. When each player is spawned, grab and apply all UniStorm component. You can see our Spawn Player example with how to do so.

You could also have all players share one UniStorm system so it acts as apart of the level. Each player would need their own particle effects. You could just have the particle effects all reference UniStorm's original particle effects or particle effect variables.

9. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone!

UniStorm 2.1.4 has been accepted and is now live!

image.png

New Features
    * Weather Forecaster - The UniStorm Weather Forecaster (which is a separate optional system and tool) allows you to generate weather for each UniStorm week. Each day represents a UniStorm day (Monday-Sunday). You can also adjust the precipitation odds. UniStorm will continue to generate weather each week using the settings within the UniStorm Forecaster Editor. This weather is updated at 12:00 am at the start of each day. All variables can be accessed and displayed for players if desired.
    * New thunder sounds

Fixed/Improvements
    * Updated Auto Player Setup to version 1.2
    * Updated Auto Player Setup hotkeys to (Shift+Ctrl+h for C#) and (Shift+Ctrl+j for JS) so they will no long pop up accidentally
    * Auto Player Setup will now automatically apply the Sun Shafts image effect and apply the proper settings. This is done for both the UFPS setup and standard setup
    * Updated shaders to keep consistent fog shading regardless of fog distance
    * Added sun creation to a public function CreateSun() so users can call it for instantiating UniStorm or setting up UniStorm for online games
    * Fixed random string issue that would happen when editing the UniStormWeatherSystem scripts with Visual Studio
    * Fixed rain not being capped and falling below 0 for the Fog weather type

10. buronix

buronix

Sorry I didnt explain myself correctly, auto enable fog does not work cause this (unistorm 2.1.4):
    UnyStormWeatherSystem_C.cs

Line 641 : RenderSettings.fog = true;

Its always enabled cause this bug, later there is the check for the "auto enable fog", but previously it was enabled on that line Always, I removed this line and the "auto enable fog" check works as expected.

11. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

Just ran the update for Unistorm and getting this error. Any advice on how to fix it?

Attached Files:

• uni2.JPG
      uni2.JPG
      File size:
      110.5 KB
      Views:
  12. BHS

BHS

Thanks for the heads up! We will be sure to fix it.

Strange, I'll look into it right now. What version of Unity are you using? Everything was working fine when the update was submitted. This is supposed to automatically attach the Sun Shafts image effect and setting to your camera that's using UniStorm. I'm not sure why it's saying that. Do you have image effects in your project? They are required for UniStorm.

13. paulojsam

paulojsam

Assets/UniStorm (Desktop)/Scripts (Desktop)/Editor/UniStormSetupEditor.cs(130,97): error CS1061: Type `SunShafts' does not contain a definition for `sunThreshold' and no extension method `sunThreshold' of type `SunShafts' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) - i am getting this error after install the latest version and the unity version is 5.3.4f1

14. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

I have these scripts from the image effects, so I think they are all there that are needed.

I deleted Unistorm and re-imported it. Still getting the error, and also, if I go to Window > Unistorm, there is nothing in the flyout tab.

Edited to add: Latest version of Unity

Attached Files:

• uni3.JPG
      uni3.JPG
      File size:
      122.7 KB
      Views:
  15. BHS

BHS

I just did a fresh import using the newest version of UniStorm and Unity with no issues.

It seems like you have the JS version of the Sun Shafts, which is from Unity 4. I believe this is what's causing your issue. Unity updated all image effects to be C# as of Unity 5. Try removing it to see if it fixes the problem.

16. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

I removed the JS version, but it seems like another product requires that to work.

Attached Files:

• uni4.JPG
      uni4.JPG
      File size:
      86.1 KB
      Views:
  17. BHS

BHS

Strange, a solution is comment out the lines that are asking for the Sun Shafts image effect in the UniStormMenu script. This portion is only used for automatically applying the Sun Shafts to the player using Auto Player Setup.

18. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

OK, I deleted the other product, will ask that vendor to maybe update that to work with the C# script.

Unistorm working fine now, I think.

19. wwg

wwg

I also had the same problems as helgarddebarros, when I imported the latest version of Unistorm into Unity version 5.2.3f1:
    1. The older JS version of image effects(etc.). I removed the older image effects folder that must have been left over when I imported the project from 4.x

2. After deleteing the JS files, I also got the Sunshafts.cs error. As recommended, I commented out the lines in "UnistormSetupEditor.cs" (130, 148) and it's now working.

Note: I did not have any problems with the previous version of Unistorm.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  20. BHS

BHS

This is strange because we are unable to recreate the issue. We will look into what's causing this and release a quick fix if needed. I know that there are only a few people having this issue. It may only be happening with people who have the JS sun shafts image effect already in their scene when importing Unity.

21. Alex3333

Alex3333

I also had this problem. How to be right now? Player in the remote sun everywhere. Solar shafts are not from the sun, and all over the sky. I worked sync, now there is - ((

22. pixxelbob

pixxelbob

UniStorm gets better with every update. Love it. Thanks.
    I have a couple of suggestions for functionality which I needed for my current project.
    (I have already implemented all these myself but might be useful for others if these were core features.)

* Ability to disable temperature fluctuations.
    * Ability to disable clouds completely. (No need to render them if camera is never going to see the sky)
    * Ability to configure blending durations of various elements when changing weather (wind/rain/sun intensity).
    If you have a fairly short day cycle (a few minutes), it became apparent to me that the hard coded values for reducing/increasing rains/snow/sound sun intensity etc are no longer suitable, these values could scale relative to the day length (with a modifiying factor) or be completely configurable, it would be much more flexible when used in levels that have less than realistic day/night length.​

*Ability to configure shadow intensity for various weather types, like you can sun intensity. (IRL it's rare that you have well defined shadows when the sky is overcast)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  23. Samol

Samol

Hi, UniStorm looks great, however my need is for usage into a alien world that is not Earth. Not only I would need to configure the colors of the atmospheric elements, but also I may need more than one moon, represent storms in low density atmosphere etc. Is UniStorm ready to fit alien worlds or is it mostly Earth?

24. virror

virror

This would be nice, of course its possible to do this manually but would be nice to completely disable some components renderer and all for games that does not see the sky.
    Also, i hope you can get rid of the big amount of warnings about deprecated methods in the next update : )

25. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

These are all great suggestions! We will be sure to implement them with the next update.

Yes, we have an entire system that will generate alien climates, colors, and temperatures with our Climate Generator. See our wiki site here for more information: http://unistorm-weather-system.wikia.com/wiki/Documentation?useskin=oasis#Climate_Generation_Types

The warning messages will be fixed as soon as Unity provides proper API for the changes.

26. virror

virror

Its already there, though a bit more complicated than the last one : /

Code (CSharp):
    1. public void SetEmissionRate(ParticleSystem partSys, float emRate)
    2.     {
    3.         ParticleSystem.EmissionModule em = partSys.emission;
    4.         ParticleSystem.MinMaxCurve rate = em.rate;
    5.         rate.constantMax = emRate;
    6.         em.rate = rate;
    7.     }
    Code (CSharp):
    1. SetEmissionRate (butterflies, butterfliesFade);

27. shwa

shwa

28. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi,

What's the best way to save and load UniStorm's current time of day and current weather?

29. virror

virror

That all depends on your requirements i guess. How do you save your other things? Its just a few numbers to save, so it should be pretty straight forward. weatherForecaster for weather and startTimeHour for time i think. You might need to save days/weeks and so as well depending on what you need.

30. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi - If you're replying to my question, a quick skim of the UniStorm wiki suggests that you can't just set startTimeHour because it doesn't update the entire UniStorm state. That info might be outdated, though. @BHS?

31. virror

virror

It seems to work for me, i set the variable, then call the function "LoadTime()"

32. TonyLi

TonyLi

Great, thanks! I appreciate the help. Is there an equivalent for weather? I haven't had the opportunity to use UniStorm much myself. I'm just working on customers' requests to add persistent time and weather to the Dialogue System integration package.

Tinjaw likes this.
  33. virror

virror

no need to load the weather, its "just works" to set the value : )

34. PeterB

PeterB

I'm having issues with tree billboards punching right through rain fog:

Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 16.40.49.png

Is there anything I can do to alleviate this?

35. BHS

BHS

Thanks for this!

We'll get right on updating UniStorm to get rid of those warning messages.

There's no ETA, but we are working on revamping several UniStorm features such as clouds, lighting, weather effects, and adding some more useful tools and controls.

Hey Tony!

I responded to your PM with a code example that should give you everything you should need for saving and loading. An example script is included with the UniStorm system.

That's strange, are you using any other plugins or tools that would alter the default billboard shader? It almost looks like your terrain is masking your trees. Can you post another example so we can see what's going on?

Also, what shader is causing the issue? I will see if I can adjust it so it will work with your scene, in case you are using a modified billboard shader.

36. TonyLi

TonyLi

BHS likes this.
  37. virror

virror

I have a small issue to report, not really a bug and more of an oversight i guess, but in the UniStormSystemEditor the lightningSpawn Transform is missing, which makes it a bit hard to assign stuff manually.

38. BHS

BHS

It's there, it's under the Lighting Options and not the Object Options.

39. PeterB

PeterB

There's nothing in the scene that would change the default billboard renderer, but I'll double-check and get back to you.

Meanwhile, I have a suggestion. If you refer back to posts #3721, #3728 and #3730, we discussed making Ambient Intensity follow the Ambient Light overall luminance. The reason for this is that night scenes end up having the terrain too brightly lit, as the Ambient Light modulated by UniStorm only affects terrain vegetation but not the terrain itself, which stays at the same value, unaffected. So, I added the following line at the very end of TimeOfDayCalculator():

RenderSettings.ambientIntensity = RenderSettings.ambientLight.grayscale * 0.5f;
    This makes the terrain lighting behave much more realistically. The 0.5 above is in effect the maximum Ambient Intensity; were you to include my change you'd of course parametrise it and probably add a checkbox/boolean to switch this on and off (default off, so no existing scenes would change). It made the world of a difference in my scene, and I'm sure others might find it useful too.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    md-ford likes this.
  40. virror

virror

Ohh, was only looking in the "Object Options" tab and it was missing there. Thanx!

41. vtgorilla

vtgorilla

Has anyone used this for very fast day/night cycles? I'm looking at maybe 30 real-life seconds for each day and night phase and I'm afraid the weather will appear somewhat crazy.

42. TonyLi

TonyLi

Thanks again @virror and @BHS - what had thrown me was that the Unity 4 version of UniStorm doesn't have LoadTime(). The updated UniStorm Support package in the Dialogue System for Unity 1.6.1 now includes UniStorm's time and weather in persistent data (e.g., saved games) in Unity 5.0+. In UniStorm 4.0+, you can still query UniStorm information such as time and temperature in your conversations, barks, quests, etc. as before.

43. md-ford

md-ford

This NEEDS to be put in as standard, Ok add a toggle or whatever. I have had the choice with unistorm, either nights far too bright or one side of everything too dark. In just 2 minutes to add this, it has done more to improve the looks of my game, than any feature you have added since I have owned it. Not a criticism, you have done a good job. but this or something like it is very needed. I have thought of looking into doing this myself, but havent the time to start looking how unistorm works,Im allready doing three peoples jobs lol.
    THANKYOU PeterB!

PeterB and Arganth like this.
  44. virror

virror

I have some issues when trying to integrate this is my new project.

1. I want to be able to set different hours of the day and i do that by setting:
    unistorm.startTimeHour=index;
    unistorm.LoadTime();
    and this works fine as long as i have timeStopped = false; but i want to be able to do this even when time is stopped, and then i get some problems. The sun intensity gets capped at 0,5 which makes everything to dark for middle of the day, as soon as i start time this is no longer an issue, but i expect this to work even with time stopped. Also when time is stopped and a go from 00:00 to 06:00 everything gets even darker than it is at 00:00 which is very strange and does not happen when time is not stopped.

2. Im using this with RTP and it kind of works well but as the suns intensity rises there is a limit on how bright the terrain gets, so during the middle of the day, all objects are brighter than the terrain and it looks very ugly. It follows well during morning/nights though.

45. BHS

BHS

1) Time shouldn't have to be set to false. See our SavePlayerData example to see how to save and load UniStorm's time.

2) This is most likely because of the Ambient Intensity. With UniStorm 2.5, we will be adding an option to fully adjust it.

PeterB likes this.
  46. virror

virror

1, But i want it to be set to false, thats the whole point. I expect that i should be able to set any time of day even if i have static time without getting weird issues.

2. Might be, but ambient should not able able to limit the max intensity of a light source, maybe i have to ask this in the RTP forum and see if he knows anything about it : )

47. BHS

BHS

@PeterB

Hey there!

We have actually been working on Ambient Intensity support for UniStorm 2.5. We have added the option to have everything handled automatically, like suggested, but we have also added the option to adjust it for each time of day. This gives user more control over the Ambient Intensity for each time of day to avoid certain times being too bright or too dark.

Here's the new options to adjust the Ambient Intensity via the UniStorm Editor:
    AmbientIntensity1.png
    AmbientIntensity2.png

PeterB likes this.
  48. BHS

BHS

1) Okay, got it. I will look through the code and post an example for you.

2) We have talked with the creator of RTP before and there are a few tweaks he recommended for improving the lighting when using RTP. We have some information regarding this in the UniStorm Wiki. However, it is a year or two old so it may be outdated.

If you're interested, you can find it here: http://unistorm-weather-system.wiki..._have_other_issues_regarding_RTP_and_UniStorm

49. virror

virror

Thanx : )

50. Mrkubaisi

Mrkubaisi

Hello Everyone
    i am trying to change the volume of day sounds (birds,frogs,...) while playing another sound but with no luck
    i tried accessing th soundcomponent.volume but changing it won't effect anything,even deleting the audio source from the unistorm object won't effect anything, sounds keep playing
    could anyone help me with this
    thanks