Search Unity

[RELEASED] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. melonhead

melonhead

testing unity 5 with unistorm the edges of the leaves on trees are blue most noticable at night, and cant seem to get any fog.

now all features are free cant wait to get the rain on screen at loooong last

2. KarloE

KarloE

When are you expecting to be done with the unity5 update? We need it asap. :)

3. BHS

BHS

I'm not sure, we noticed that too. I think it's the way the old texture's settings were setup.

We're getting things done as fast as possible. We have the cloud shader working with Unity 5 and right now we're working on fixing the gradient sky shader.

We will post our fixes on the UntiStorm Wiki so customers will be able to have the fix until the update is released.

4. KarloE

KarloE

Ok great, please let us know as soon as that is up. Thank you.

5. Pauloxande

Pauloxande

Hello friend I am using UFPS 1.4.9 and 1.8.1 Unistorm, but I can not bring up the details as sun and moon.
    Another thing the UFPS player must be parent to Unistrom Prefab, because I did it and the player did not work

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  6. BHS

BHS

Hi there,

You need to make sure you have both the sun shafts and global fog image effects on your camera.

You can follow the tutorial here:
    http://unistorm-weather-system.wiki..._UniStorm_with_Ultimate_FPS_Camera_.28UFPS.29

7. Pauloxande

Pauloxande

I followed all the tutorial and nothing, not appear the sun and the stars at night copied the effects and put in the player hierarchy, but when the play does not work, in camera put the effects os shafts the sun and moon.

Attached Files:

8. BHS

BHS

Strange, are you getting any errors?

Have you adjusted the height of the UniStorm system? The clouds have a fader that's based of the height they're placed. So, if you've altered that, that's why you cannot see the clouds. This normally isn't a problem ubless the UniStorm system is placed at a version high or low height.

9. Pauloxande

Pauloxande

can you help me, I get this pack because I think is the best system of this kind.
    I think there must be some adjustment, but still have not found the answer, if you can help me thank you.

10. BHS

BHS

We need to know if you're having any errors so we can figure out what's wrong.

UniStorm works, it just must be something that's setup wrong.

11. Pauloxande

Pauloxande

I was, lacked put Flare Bill and the Gui Layer. now worked thank you

12. KarloE

KarloE

If possible, it would be great if you could post fixes on the wiki as you discover them, and inform us of it. For example, we could use a fix for sky gradient shader.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

Does Unistorm support a chunk system? It's not for a infinite map, but a big one which is realized with chunk loading.

14. Poopaloop

Poopaloop

Might have been asked already. I stopped time and I want to change the game minutes/hours myself via another script. What is the variable to change the minutes/hours? I tried hourCounter but it didn't work, I tried Hour and that didn't work. Am I missing something or is it not possible?

Using Java version

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  15. BHS

BHS

We're working on it. It should be done tomorrow. We will let everyone know when the updates are posted on the Wiki.

Yes, we actually did a MineCraft project and it worked out very well. if you need to grab all the components at start you can follow this tutorial here: http://unistorm-weather-system.wikia.com/wiki/Example_Scripts#Spawning_a_player_with_UniStorm

It's possible on with a slight modification to the UniStorm script. It's more of a very fast skip that skips to the time desired. You increase the day speed until the desired time is reached.

We are working on implementing being able to better set the time on start within the next couple of versions of UniStorm.

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks for the reply and the information.
    Beside of that, I've another question.
    Well, the map is really big and in chunks. There is the possibility, that multiple players around the world. How works unistorm in that way? As e.g. player a is in the north, on a mountain and it snows, but player b is in the valley and looks to the mountain, player b see the clouds and hear the mighty winds, but when he looks to the west, there is blue sky. player c is in the southern part, on a tropical island, it's hot and a thunderstorm is comming. So, there is one global weather, but on different parts of the world and the playerbase has the feeling of a dynamic and living world, with some realistic weather system.
    Or... if it rains for player a, it rains for all players on the whole map? Must I work with different maps for the above scenario?

Thanks a lot!

17. Poopaloop

Poopaloop

Ok, thanks for the confirmation.
    Is there a way to set time of day between morning. day, evening and night?
    I tried startTime and timeOfDay but they just set it to night time no matter whant I seem to do.

Thanks

18. Eve2015

Eve2015

Hi! I was wondering how I can make the rain not go through water surface? I am using Suimono Water System and when I go underwater during rain, I can see rain under the water. Any idea how I can fix this please? I know about rain cannot pass objects so I created a plane object and attached it to the water surface object. The problem with this is that now I cant go underwater. Any idea for a real fix please? Thank you.

19. BHS

BHS

If you wanted to have individual weather for each player based on their location, you would need to have 1 UniStorm systems for each player.

Yes, you can use the Starting Time Of Day within the UniStorm Editor. This allows you to set the time to either Morning, Day, Evening, or Night.

You would do exactly as you've done, but go to Edit>Project Settings>Physics> and change the layer collision matrix so that the player ignores the water layer plane. This will allow rain to collide with the water collider, but not the player.

20. sqallpl

sqallpl

Do you plant o make sky that is generated by UniStorm (sky, clouds, gradients, colors, generally everything that is visible) to be a complete input for Unity 5 ambient lighting? At this moment there is a skybox input required for an ambinet lighting. Do you plan to have a procuderal/runtime skybox asset that would have everything that is generated by UnitStorm and it would be placed there as an input for ambient lightining maybe?

Same goes for global reflections at this moment. Global reflection input requires a skybox asset to be plugged in.

21. Kelkith

Kelkith

Awesome to hear that its being updated for Unity 5. I've been very satisfied with Unistorm since I bought it, and I can't wait to see it with procedural shading and PBR. Great work so far c:

22. BHS

BHS

Our progress with Unity 5 is going well and all shaders have been successfully converted. We are also in the process of utilizing Unity 5's new skybox system, as well as image effects. So far, it's looking great. We hope to have UniStorm for Unity 5 submitted sometime this week.

Here's some screenshots of our progress with UniStorm and Unity 5:

UniStorm_Unity_5_1.png

UniStorm_Unity_5_.png

23. Eve2015

Eve2015

"You would do exactly as you've done, but go to Edit>Project Settings>Physics> and change the layer collision matrix so that the player ignores the water layer plane. This will allow rain to collide with the water collider, but not the player."

I tried doing this but I failed and couldn't get it. I'm sorry can you give me an example please. Thank you.

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

That's not what I meant. I want a weather system that works global at a realistic way.
    Other example: You are in LA at Long Beach, it's raining, thick clouds, heavy storm. I'm on the other side of LA in San Bernardino and I see that you're in a heavy storm, but at my position it's getting colder, the clouds are comming and it's starts to drizzle. A dude of us is a few miles from us away in Bakersfield and has sunny weather, but can see that in a few hours a storm is comming or, if he is lucky, the storm rolls by, but actual he has good weather.
    Should unistorm work like this? If yes, works it, too with chunks (I mean, the dude in in a few "miles" hundred coordinates away is in a unloaded chunk, he doesn't see the clouds, but the system (host, server) know about it, because other players are in this loaded chunks)?

Or! If it's raining for me, it's raining all over the map for all players? That would be not so cool.

25. Eve2015

Eve2015

I've finally got it to work with suimono water system. The only problem I get now is that every now and then 1 or 2 rain streaks and splash still shows under water. It seems that some of them manage to get pass the water surface. Could it be where the Hierarchy should be placed? I missed around with the hierachies and moved things around to see if that fixes the problem but apparently it seems to not work. Majority of the rain and splash are being stopped at the water surface and I can see this when im underwater looking up at the surface but still a few manage to make it through the water surface. Any idea whats wrong please?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  26. BHS

BHS

We will post a screenshot tomorrow with how to set the settings.

UniStorm is more global weather, but we haven't tried experimenting with making separate weather areas. We will see what we can do and PM you what we figure out.

The only thing I can think of is that the your collider for your water is too thin because it's using a mesh collider. Try using a box collider with a decent thickness. This should fix the inconsistencies with the collisions.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  27. BHS

BHS

UniStorm 1.8.2 has been accepted and is now live On the Asset Store.

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/2714

* This update fixes issues with the Editor not saving entered settings, when still connected to the UniStorm prefab.
    * This update also fixes the old calendar system and adds realistic and accurate calendar system that is now the default.
    * UniStorm now properly calculates leap year.
    * UniStorm now properly calculates the right number of days for each month.
    * We have added the ability to create a custom system via the UniStorm Editor using Custom under Calendar Options.
    * Added Calender Options to the UniStorm Editor.

28. KarloE

KarloE

Thanks for the speed! (In case that is the unity 5 update, will check it out tonight ) :)

Sorry for being annoying with requests the last couple of days, we are working on a tight schedule here and I was worried that we will need to code our own weather system if this doesn't get fixed soon, which would suck since its not really a minor task. :)

Cheers!

29. Eve2015

Eve2015

Thank you. I tried this and it works perfect on shallow water. However, it doesnt work on deep water? I also tried thickening the box collider to cover the entire deep water and the water surface but still did not work. Any idea please.

30. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

with unity 5 having all features of pro and physically based being kinda the default settings will you be moving to deferred linear setup, going to test update in a bit

31. melonhead

melonhead

How about puting a wet ground shader into unistorm for the rain, also for use on objects? dry floors look a bit unrealistic in the rain!!!

32. BHS

BHS

The 1.8.2 update is for some fixes as well as the new calendar system.

Unity 5 support is being worked on right now. We plan on submitting the update within the next few days. However, we plan on having the changes to make UniStorm work with Unity 5 up on the Wiki today. So, everyone can have the changes early.

Strange, I would double check that the collider is reaching the deeper parts of the water. It should work though.

Yes, that's the plan.

That's also part of the plan within the next couple of updates. As well as dynamic snow and dynamic wind.

33. KarloE

KarloE

Ok cool, thanks. Wiki unity5 instructions should be good enough for now, hope we see that today! Cheers. :)

34. sqallpl

sqallpl

Are UniStorm clouds casting standard Unity shadows based on the sun and clouds position? Will it generate separate shadows for each cloud/ cloud groups or maybe it is a global yes/no for the sun?

I mean is it common for UniStorm to procude a weather/situation where some parts of a scene are in the sun and some are covered by the clouds shadows?

35. melonhead

melonhead

thanks, very much looking forward now we indies have full features...

36. Eve2015

Eve2015

I'm sorry done that. checked it several of times and it still doesnt seem to work. The rain still goes through the box collider. The water depth I created is at least 500 value in length which is from start of the water surface to the bottom of the water. Heres what I did. I replaced the mesh collider to a box collider in the water surface object and changed the size of the box collider of X and Z to the same size of the water surface object and extended the box collider's Y value size to the same length to the bottom of the water. Then I moved the box collider to line up with the top surface of the water so the box collider looks like the outer layer of the entire water surface from top to bottom. So i started my player on top of the water falling straight down. When i hit the bottom, there goes the rain and rain splash showing when its not supposed since im in the water. The box collider seems to work fine on shallow depth waters where the values of the depth is at least 20-50 but wont work on 500. Could it have something to do with the rain streaks starting point overlaping with the water surface? I believe rain streaks follows the camera and when I go way too far down then the rain streaks starting points overlaps with the water surface? Could that be the problem?

37. icetec

icetec

i have exactly the same problem with unistorm and unity 5 rc3, also with the updated 1.8.2 version of unistorm - but only with the c# prefab, the js versions works fine ...

38. Deleted User

Deleted User

You know that the actual version of unity is 5.0.0f4?
    Maybe you should update from the release candidate version, 'cause it's not stable...

@BHS Thank you! I await your response, it's deciding if I can use this wonderfull tool or not. :)
    But it looks promising to me!

39. webik150

webik150

Like Zeraxes said, you should use the release. Also UniStorm still isn't working with Unity 5 properly. The 1.8.2 update fixed the calendar, and issue when the unistorm script kept reverting to prefab.
    They said they will publish U5 version within few days. Add 7-14 days to that before the update gets accepted and you have the update.

40. BHS

BHS

No, UniStorm doesn't cast shadows for the clouds. It's something that we can look into to add in a future update though.

I'm not sure why it's not working. We will have to try and recreate what you've done above to see exactly what's happening.

Correct, we are going to try and put the updates on the Wiki sometime today. We still need to convert the storm cloud shader before we do. This will allow UniStorm customers to have UniStorm fully working with Unity 5.

sqallpl likes this.
  41. sqallpl

sqallpl

Thanks for the reply.

So how is the sunlight handled with partially cloudy/cloudy weathers? Is the sunlight intensity dynamic and changes dynamically? Is it completely turned off from time to time based on clouds density?

42. Eve2015

Eve2015

Okay, I think the problem I found with my issue is in the Rain New Object. I learned that when the Rain New Object position is inside the box collider then the rain particles in the Rain New Object will not collide with the box collider any further since its already inside the box. However, what I did is place the Rain New Object far above the player object so that way when player goes all the way to the bottom of the water then the Rain New Object position(starting position of the rain particles before dropping down) is still located somewhere on top of the box collider(water surface). By doing this, the rain particles still collides with the box collider, thus, prevented the rain particles from entering the box(under water). However, there were still a few rain that passed through so what I did next was changed the settings under Rain New Object Particle System, Collision, Collision Quality from med to high. That fixed all of the rain that gotten through the box collider(water surface).

Now, the problem I get when I changed the Rain New Object position way too high, rain particles does not show so I'm not sure if this is the effecient way to do it but I changed the Start Lifetime settings higher under Particle System in the Rain New Object and changed the Start Size value to higher until the rain particle shows. Is this the best way in making the rain particle to show up in the camera but I'm assuming this is gonna cost the CPU alot? Also, how much of a difference in process or CPU does Collision Quality change when I changed it from med to high. I did this because for some reason, some rain particles still makes it through the box collider under low and med settings but are fixed in high settings.

Now, since I changed the Y position of the Rain New Object to at least 300 to test for later use with box collider(water surface) when player hits bottom of the water, the problem I get with this now is that when I move, the rain particles can't keep up with the camera. The rain particles position now takes forever to update on the camera when moving. The only thing I can think of for a fix to this would be to scale the box shape of the rain particle system of X and Y to a higher value persay like x=75 and y=75. That would scale the rain particles and splashes in the camera wider to compensate for the late update of the rain particles and splashes on the camera but wouldn't this be costly in the engine? Also, when I scaled the shape box values of X and Y, for some reason, it changed the look of heavy rain and made it look like light rain in the camera now. I cant seem to increase more rain particles in the camera to make that heavy rain look. By changing the box shape values, I'm assuming that the position of each rain particles are scattered further and no longer looks like heavy rain. Overall, I'm not even sure if all of this is even the right way/effeciently to go by in fixing my original problem that is not having the rain show under water?

43. icetec

icetec

i'm sorry, my posting wasn't well-worded ... i'm working with 5.0.0f4 and have the same problems like outlined above with v5 rc3 - i'll waiting for the update now. Thanks a lot and best wishes!

44. KarloE

KarloE

So sorry for being annoying again, but whats the status of the unity 5 update? :)

45. fredr92

fredr92

Hi,

I'm experiencing that my sky is all white, and same thing in the demo scenes.
    Im using Unity5 and DX11.

I checked the wiki page, the dynamic light cloud shader is already been updated With the fix.
    Do i just need to wait for the unity5 update or maybe i have set up something wrong?

I have set the far Clip plane too 30 000, and im using the same Project and map as i did in unity4.6 and everything was working Perfect there With far Clip plane at 20 000.

46. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone,

We have the Unity 5 section of our UniStorm Wiki up. This will give you a guide to get UniStorm working with Unity 5. If you have any questions or issues please post them here. We are working to get UniStorm submitted asap. We are currently working on UniStorm Storm Shaders. After that, we can submit the update.

UniStorm and Unity 5 Tutorial:
    http://unistorm-weather-system.wikia.com/wiki/UniStorm_(Unity_5)#UniStorm_and_Unity_5

UniStorm using Unity 5's Global Illumination (Artifacts are due to gif).
    output_cKS4xu.gif

UniStorm_Unity_5_3.png

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    webik150 likes this.
  47. Sphelps

Sphelps

I just bought this even though there are some bugs I can say that this looks cool, Hope you guy put out an update soon for unity5 cant wait to get things working right!

48. BHS

BHS

That's seems to be a clipping issue. Make sure your far clipping plane on your camera is set to about 16,000. If you're still having the issue you may need to feet it higher.

JackieFPS likes this.
  49. Sphelps

Sphelps

Do we have an ETA on an update

50. KarloE

KarloE

Hey BHS,

thanks for the updated wiki!

I have a problem:

The time of day is supposed to be evening. I dont know what is happening, hope I didnt forget something.

In the day everything is extremely white, have no idea what kind of settings to use to make it look better. :)

Thanks in advance for the support!