Search Unity

[RELEASED] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. EDarkness

EDarkness

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the lighting to look more natural? I'm fairly new to this sort of thing.

2. justinl

justinl

That's a really subjective question, but one place to start is to remove all ambient light from your scene. This will make the shadows look like actual shadows so that when you go from outdoor to indoor the lighting fits a bit better. Then you probably want to bake some shadows in using the lightmap baking tool (ambient occlusion can be your friend if done properly). Then I personally also purchased the Amplify Color addon for Unity which allows you to color grade your entire scene. I've hooked it into UniStorm so that the time of day corresponds to a certain type of light grading that I've specified using the Amplify Color tool.

Cheers,
    Justin

3. fredr92

fredr92

Edited : now works, very nice publishers and good asset, recommanded

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  4. virror

virror

So you got errors when importing into an empty project?
    Did you try to reimport everything from the asset store?

5. BHS

BHS

Can you please explain which errors or post a screenshot of them?

There are 28 pages of PDF documentation included with UniStorm. It will cover any problems you may have and explain UniStorm and all of its components with detail.

6. fredr92

fredr92

Thank you for answering back, i readed the documentation and i fixed the problems and almost everything work and looks perfect now
    Can you help me so the weather sounds plays at the correct time, and i dont think the fogg effect are working, i tried changing fog density to different settings, but when i choose foggy weather its not foggy.

Im using a custom player, after some reading, will putting the sunshaft and fog script to the player camera fix it?

Thanks for reading

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  7. EDarkness

EDarkness

Thanks for the information. I'll see if I can make a few adjustments to the look of the lighting, sine that seems to need the most work at the moment.

Also, does anyone know if there is a way to keep Unistorm working, but have all effects turned off? I want time to continue ticking in dungeons and for it to keep weather going even while in a dungeon where the player won't be able to see it (or even hear it). However, when they go back outside (from a building, dungeon, etc.) the world weather and would be correct as if the player would have still been outside the whole time.

In an ideal situation, I'd like for the sound of rain and stuff to continue inside buildings to provide the effect of it raining outside, but I don't know if I'll be able to do that. Either way, I want to turn off the Directional Light and use the point lights in the building or dungeon. Maybe turn off the particle effects for the rain, but keep the sound. Anyone know how to do this?

8. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Just purchased your product as the videos look amazing and powerful, but you have a ton of obsolete errors..

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  9. stralberg

stralberg

you can add this error (Unity 4.2.2) to the list above.
    Code (csharp):
    1. Assets/Editor/Image Effects/TiltShiftEditor.js(36,42): BCE0018: The name 'TiltShift' does not denote a valid type ('not found'). Did you mean 'TiltShiftHdr'?
    Edit:
    Replacing TiltShift with TiltShiftHdr seems to solve the error

TiltShiftEditor.js:
    @customEditor(TiltShift) -> @customEditor(TiltShiftHdr)

var go : GameObject = (target as TiltShift).gameObject; -> var go : GameObject = (target as TiltShiftHdr).gameObject;

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  10. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

I just went through all the files and replaced
    Code (csharp):
    1. GameObject.active
    to
    Code (csharp):
    1. GameObject.SetActive(true) || (false)
    depending on the code setup. I'll be sending ya the bill. :)

11. DigitalIPete2

DigitalIPete2

Hi guys,

I think you should update your demo so that if you have the mouse button held down, then the camera doesn't respond to mouse movement, at the moment its not very user friendly at all - on my iMac its almost un usable.

:(

12. Stevepunk

Stevepunk

Just watched the 1.7 preview:

It's looking really great, but just a few questions:
    • Why don't people find shelter when it rains? Is this possible to implement?
    • When inside, the rain sound should be muffled on the sides that have walls, and only clear on the open side. There should be different sounds for it hitting different materials. Is this possible?
    • Also can the rain be affected by wind, or does it always come straight down?
    • Do you have lightning? Does it light up the clouds and surrounding land?

Cheers,
    Steve

13. virror

virror

1. AI is not part of the system, but you can implement that if you wish, just check what weather type it is and move your ppl.
    2. Also up to you, there are no way for the OP to know how your level is set up, what houses you have or what materials you have, the muffled sound can probably be made with one of the Audio filters..
    3. It will always look the same cause the wind will always be same with same weather. Wind is not separate.
    4. There are lightning that will light up the terrain and objects

14. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

SO how do I access the real time from c# script. I tried to convert your JS example script to c#, but anytime I try to access any of the time floats it just gets an error about NullReference..

Can post a quick c# example of how to get the time float variable from outside of the UniStormWeatherSystem_C file?

15. BHS

BHS

Thanks, we'll fix this with 1.7.

Yes, we will be updating the demo soon.

We will send you a script via PM showing how to access UniStorm time.

16. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

17. Mullmeister

Mullmeister

Hey guys. Great looking tool- Anyone have any idea how to fix this error?

Assets/Standard Assets/Character Controllers/Sources/Scripts/FPSInputController.js(1,21): BCE0018: The name 'CharacterMotor_UniStorm' does not denote a valid type ('not found'). Did you mean 'UnityEngine.CharacterInfo'?

18. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

its a Unity store error on import. You should be able to reimport the Unity Character controller or change the type to CharacterMotor and remove the _UniStorm

19. nomax5

nomax5

Hi, I've purchased Unistorm and I was surprised that there never is clear cloudless sky there is always some clouds.

I think I'm right in saying that at every location on earth clear skies happen and quite frequently, so its not very realistic in that respect.

I am hoping that I can mod it to have some clear skies

Perhaps replace 06= Partly Cloud 2 or 004 Butterflies or 09 = Cloudy 003 Falling leaves or other ones

Or just replace the cloud images associated with those weather types for images with transparent no cloud images.

I feel this is important, and a bit of a deal breaker, how can I have a Desert scene using UniStorm?

any help or advice greaty appreciated

20. nomax5

nomax5

Improved Sunsets

The sunsets and sunrises are not very spectacular. When I was fiddling with this stuff a few years ago I doubled the size of the Sun when it got low on the horizon, I think that's what happens in real life, the atmosphere magnifies it.

Also I was thinking you could blend the Grey Horizon object into an Orange Red version at Sunset or have a blend from Orange into the deep blue of the darkening sky.

The good thing about this idea is you would have some really nice images to boost your sales. (search sunset in Google images).

PS. I'm not sure how difficult it would be but reflecting the sunset off water would be spectacular.

21. virror

virror

This is something i have been asking for as well a long time ago, i hope it gets implemented eventually.

22. janpec

janpec

+1

23. mikezenox

mikezenox

Anyone?

24. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

Same here, still waiting for blue skies ...

25. BHS

BHS

You have not adjusted your clouds but when you attached a following script to UniStorm it may have altered the cloud's position. Double check during run time by adjusting the cloud's height. I'm certain that the clouds are overlapping.

@Everyone

Yes we will add a fully clear weather type for 1.7.

26. nomax5

nomax5

"Yes we will add a fully clear weather type for 1.7. "

great News thanks for answering BHS

I find myself looking at the sky alot these days and generally speaking clouds move so slow you can barely tell their moving at all, and I'm in England, we have the most changable weather on the planet

I'm setting my day length to 72 minutes and I'm thinking it might help performance if the clouds are moving / changing extremely slowly
    as long as they look a bit different from day to day, thats enough for me.

27. devfo

devfo

I just bought UniStorm, and I am having some importing issues. After importing, there seems to be a lot of image effect errors. I've tried not importing the specific things that were causing the errors, but it still doesn't show any results. Here's a screenshot:

$2013-10-29 21_25_26-.png

28. Adragen

Adragen

I just purchased this too and imported it into a clean brand new project with nothing in it only unistorm and am getting 'PostEffectsBase'does not denote a valid type ('not found') error there is 5 in total, i have no idea about scripting and if i delete these JS scripts it just creates more errors, how do i fix this, is kind of disheartening to bang $60 on something that gives me errors right out of the box...please help resolve this issue.

Ok after reading the docu i fixed the effects errors but i noticed that when it snows i don't have my terrain get covered in snow like my friends does and he is running unistorm 1.2?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  29. BHS

BHS

Please read the documentation it covers this. It's not a UniStorm error it's a Unity error. You have to reimport the image effects to match the version of Unity you have.

The snow on the terrain was removed because there were compatibility issues with some. Unity doesn't really allow access to Unity's terrain so the snow shader had to hack the terrain shader to achieve the affect. We plan on bringing snow back to UniStorm. Snow will build up on objects just not the terrain.

30. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

31. Adragen

Adragen

Ok thanks for the headsup, i hope it is soon as it is a needed function for my maps :)

32. devfo

devfo

Thanks, that worked! I am having one other issue however. When I turn the weather to rain, then it makes the sky have a line in the middle and looks stretched. Slightly hard to explain, but here's a screenshot:

$2013-11-01 06_42_45-Unity - MainScene.unity - FinalFPS - PC, Mac  Linux Standalone_.png

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  33. mikezenox

mikezenox

^^ that's exactly what I'm getting, although I cannot see the falling rain. How do I set that up correctly?

34. virror

virror

mike. Make sure you have the rain prefab parented to your character and also make sure its a few meters above the head of the character.

35. devfo

devfo

Update on line issue:

It seems like the problem is originating from the clouds. I've not been able to fix it yet, but it seems like this is the right path to follow.

36. BHS

BHS

It looks like the bottom of your clouds are too high. Make sure the bottom of the clouds are below your player and the terrain.

37. devfo

devfo

Great, that works now! Thanks for your help BHS!

38. mikezenox

mikezenox

The RainSystem prefab? It's attached to my camera (I have a 3rd person camera set up) but changing it to be a child to my player doesn't produce the rain drops either.

39. blockcipher

blockcipher

@mikezenox - There is a prefab named "RainSystem" that is part of Unistorm that you should make sure is a child of your character. I'm not sure making it a child of the camera would be what you would want as the rain would rotate with the camera when the camera should rotate around the player and rain, if that makes sense?

What I normally do for a TP camera is have the RainPrefab on its own and update its position to the players position when the player moves (X and Z), but not its rotation. That would require scripting, though a simple script.

Your problem could also be that the rain needs to be on a layer specific to Particles if it isnt rendering. Depends on your current setup I suppose.

40. Octo-Games

Octo-Games

HELLO,

i have a little problem, i'm using unity 3D Indy and at this poin i can't launche the demo scene of unistorm because of this :
    $unistorm problem.jpg

41. virror

virror

Did you download the "standard post-processing effects" from the asset store?

42. BHS

BHS

You need to reimport the image effects so they match the version of Unity. This is a Unity bug.

43. keyboardcowboy

keyboardcowboy

I just purchased this tonight. I imported and imported the pro only image assets (using indie). But,3 scripts appear to be missing from the asset store:

CharacterMotor_unistorm
    FPSInputController_unistorm
    MouseLook_unistorm

I looked at the import list and don't see those particular scripts in there. I did see the standard version however. Any chance, I can get those 3 scripts?

EDIT: Got this to work! I opened a clean project. Imported the Pro Images first. Then re-downloaded UniStorm. Then, when I imported, I unchecked anything that wasn't marked new. Everything works now.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  44. Octo-Games

Octo-Games

i re imported them multiple time it has not worked....

45. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Still waiting for the PM. Thanks

46. merubian

merubian

Hi guys, your product looks awesome. I was wondering though, I read that it has a random temperature generator to determine if its going to snow or rain. Is it possible to read out this temperature variable? You could then make the world or characters react to the change in temperature the same as you can based on time. This would make the system quite perfect if it isn't already!

47. markfrancombe

markfrancombe

Quick question. Has a new version of UniStorm come out yet?

I was expecting an update that was promised to include a way to parent the particle stuff at run-time, specifically for Spawned Players in multiplayer games...

:)

Mark

48. virror

virror

Well, you don't need an update to do that, its super simple to fix. Just make an Init function in the UniStorm script that you call after you have spawned your player were you just assign the references to hre systems. The systems themself can be ready and paranted in the player prefab already. Thats how i do it in my multiplayer game anyway : )

49. markfrancombe

markfrancombe

I know you mentioned this before, but as a non programmer, this is beyond the scope of my programming abilities.
    I do everything using PlayMaker. And BHS mentioned it in a prev post that it would be in the next release anyway, so I just put aside that work for a while.

Thanks for the intended help though

:)

Mark

50. Yog0

Yog0

I second getting an update on 1.7's release. I need to do some seasonal change scripting that I've been holding off until I can see the new versions code.

Thanks.