Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[70% OFF!] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Thondal

Thondal

When using unistorm on my own scene the "fog" starts 5 meters infront of me. Where do i change so that the start of where objects are fading info the fog or Field of view is further away?

2. Djiel

Djiel

I went over the example screenshots, videos and the demo again and it made me wonder something..
    Are clear skies possible within UniStorm? You listed the demo as 'Partly cloudy' but even that has pretty thick clouds already.
    I know you are proud of your clouds (they do look very nice!), but I'd love to see (almost) clear skies as well, would be a good addition :)
    (If it's already possible, I recommend you add some screens of that to the rest, for improved variation! :) )

I'm still planning to get UniStorm for my project down the line, but the project definitely also requires clear skies in some locations :D

3. BHS

BHS

You would have to do it through the UniStorm script, but with UniStorm version 1.7 we plan on adding co trip over this within the editor.

With UniStorm version 1.7 improved clear skies are coming. They will be almost completely clear with light clouds overhead. We will post some screenshots later today.

4. Djiel

Djiel

Cool! Looking forward to see the results.

5. BHS

BHS

A reminder that the deadline for the UniStorm Showcase Contest ends in 3 days. You have a chance to win free assets such as our ROS system and vegetation packs.

For more information go here the the official thread: UniStorm Showcase Contest

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  6. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

I've noticed that even in a new moon night the moon light shines at the same intensity as in a full moon night. Can this be fixed in a future release?

7. BHS

BHS

We already thought about adding this, but forgot. Thanks for the reminder it will be added to the UniStorm Editor.

8. AndrewAPrice

AndrewAPrice

Is it possible to have localized weather?

Perhaps we would like it to snow only on one particular side of our map, or cast a spell that causes a rain cloud to appear only above player?

9. BHS

BHS

This is already possible with the current version of UniStorm. As of UniStorm version 1.7 we will be providing script examples to do so. If you wish to have localized weather you simply check static weather within the UniStorm Editor. With the new zone weather system you adjust the area in which you'd like a certain weather type then when the player hits the zone it will start the weather type selected. You pick the weather type for that zone via the zone weather editor. It will have a pull down me u with all weather types listed for you to easily choose. We will also allow you to choose the temperature if desired so you can make mountainous zones if desired.

Hopefully this answers your wuestion. If you have anymore questions just ask.

10. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

hi, thanks for doing this, this will be so much more realistic.
    I think basically this can be done by transforming the intensity and / or the light color in the different moon phases.

Also, when the moon first rises it is usually a bit more orange due to pollutants in the atmosphere, when it is straight above it usually is more white. also In nature the size varies, the rising full moon seems alot bigger then it is when it's up in the sky.
    You guys are probably also aware, that the moon doesn't rise and set at the same time each day? E.g.Some days the moon sets in the afternoon, when completely full it rises at sunset.
    But I'm happy if only the light issue is fixed.

11. AndrewAPrice

AndrewAPrice

Thanks for the fast reply BHS, I appreciate it!

I'm sorry, when I meant localized weather, I mean, imagine someone is casting a spell, clouds cover over their home, and rain directly over a specific spot, and you can see this from far away...

It's very hard to visualize, this is the closest image I could find:
    $us_navy_040909-c-3948h-001_as_the_anniversary_of_the_september_11_2001_terrorist_attack_approach.jp

It's not a high priority feature, just something nice to have that I could find many uses for.

12. GD-Darren

GD-Darren

Hello, BHS, I would like to question about the "weather zones" you have mentioned in a previous post. Can these zones be also used in other custom scripts like a Sound Manager script which detects the player entered a zone and plays the zone's ambient sound. I'm not requesting you adding the sound feature but the possibility to get the zone from unistorm and use it in other scripts for whatever you need. Thanks in advance.

13. Robon

Robon

Does anyone have any tips on integrating Unistorm with water?
    I plan to use Water4Example(Advanced) as my base? What I need is for the water to darken at night and specularity to follow the sun and moon.
    I am just getting started with Unistorm so any tips from old pros would be fantastic!

14. justinl

justinl

@Robon, You could track the hourCounter variable that's inside the main UniStormWeather class. That counts from 0 to 24 (basically it's a 24 hour clock using decimals). Then depending on the value of that number you could have a script changing the values of the Water4Example shader/material. E.g. if hourCounter > 18 hourCounter < 24, then you know that it's at night, so you could change your water accordingly.

15. Martian-Games

Martian-Games

I've been having the same issue today .. it seems Unity Updater is going bonkers when a script like CharacterMotor is similar to CharacterMotor_UniStorm. In fact, they seem to alternate. I deleted CharacterMotor script. Then I was finally able to import CharacterMotor_UniStorm. But now when I try to re-import CharacterMotor (via First-Person-Controller package) .. now the original CharacterMotor script is RENAMED CharacterMotor_UniStorm in the import window!. huh!?? It is going completely bonkers! Hopefully I will eventually find a solution .. probably by copy/paste code from another Unity project, and rename these scripts so they are not so similar. Maybe it has something to do this the underscore in the script names? Aghh

16. AndrewAPrice

AndrewAPrice

I filed a bug report with Unity. I had copied MouseLook.cs out of standard assets into my project, moved it into my own heavily customize /scripts/ folder, heavily customized it, yet when I imported UniStorm with it's own MouseLook_UniStorm in a different path, it overwrote my MouseLook.cs!!

Please also file a bug report (Help>Report a Bug) - the more that do, the more seriously we'll be taken.

17. im

im

i'm interested but could you release a better demo where one can change not just time of day, but the weather and clouds. just have bunch of sliders that would let us tweak as many of the parameters as possible. that way i can do a proper evaluation. thanks in advance

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  18. BHS

BHS

Yes, but it depends. It may require some tweaking;

Would you still want rain on the player or would the rain only be happening at this location? You could instantiate a custom rain or cloud effect by time, day, weather type, or zone trigger. The cloud overhead could be done with a particle effect.

Yes, we will add this to the UniStorm 1.7 feature list.

With UniStorm version 1.7 we will be adding in the ability to change water color using the Unity 4 water shader. You be able to adjust the color for Morning, Day, Evening, and Night.

We're working on an improved playable demo.

We will let everyone know when it's finished.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  19. BHS

BHS

Adjustable day and night length coming to UniStorm 1.7. We know this is a highly requested feature.

Setting the day and night length will be set in seconds like it is currently except they're each seperate. Depending on feedback we can add a day and night length for each season. This will allow you to have longer days in the summer and shorter days in the winter all customizable by the user.

20. nosyrbllewe

nosyrbllewe

Yeah, customizable season day lengths would be awesome. When you add back the snow shader, would there be any way to "remove" snow? I am using a voxel engine with deformable terrain and would like to be able to have the snow disappear after the terrain gets deformed.

21. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

Any idea when the dynamic snow will be back?
    Also is there anywhere where it says whats expected in 1.7,1.8 etc that i could regually check
    and im abit annoyed i missed the contest by a week i need check more regularly for contests some extra assets would have been useful lol

22. BHS

BHS

The dynamic snow shader will be coming back with UniStorm 1.7. The snow shader will build snow only all objects according to degree and their bump maps. The terrain snow shader will not be coming back at this time because it is too unstable. It requires the shader to hack Unity's default terrain shader and caused problems for customers. We're not the developers of the terrain snow shader so we can't do anything until the developer fixes it or Unity allows us to better manipulate the terrain and its variables.

23. BHS

BHS

Newest UniStorm Demo Video

This video demonstrates the new and improved UniStorm Version 1.7 as well as AI using RAIN{Indie} and UniStorm's in-game time to perform tasks, such as working, walking, and sleeping. Each AI has a different job, task, and destination for each time of the day. We demonstrate AI reacting to the Time of Day, weather, shading of different times of day, the new and improved particle systems, and the new and improved cloud shaders.

UniStorm 1.7 brings many new features as well as improved performance. UniStorm 1.7 will be released soon!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  24. Eqric

Eqric

I am impressed, good job guys!
    Have the lighting(thunder light) been improved?

25. Archania

Archania

Looks fantastic! Can't wait.

26. BHS

BHS

Thanks.

Yes it has.
    * Storm clouds are now affected by light.
    * Smart Particles for weather particles making the stay full and spawn properly when attached to players.
    * Transitions are more smooth.
    * Lightning light has been tweaked.
    * New storm clouds have been added.

And much more these are just a fraction of what's coming with UniStorm version 1.7. Also, more demos to come demonstrating version 1.7.

27. Hesp

Hesp

Can you tell me if the rain is affected by the camera speed?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  28. JamesPro

JamesPro

Great Weather System and Day/Night Cycle!

I'm having an issue with both the C# and JavaScript Editors. For some reason when I change setting in the editor when I press Play to test out my Game the settings revert back to the default settings. I can change settings in the Editor during runtime but not before hand. I'm using the very latest version just downloaded it this evening!

29. JamesPro

JamesPro

Ok figured out a way of solving the issue I was having...

In the C# Editor EditorUtility.SetDirty isn't being called so the values aren't being updated.

At the end of OnInspectorGUI() I added the following:

UniStormWeatherSystem_C system = target as UniStormWeatherSystem_C;
    EditorUtility.SetDirty(system);

and now it's working!

30. virror

virror

Make sure you have broken the prefab connection as well on Unistorm, that usually gives this kind of issue if you did not.

31. Noah-Essa24

Noah-Essa24

Have you added any documentation/tutorials on how to use UniStorm? (need to know before i buy)

32. kad82

kad82

Hi, I was hoping someone could help me solve a few issues I am facing with Unistorm.

First off my scene is 24km of railway track. Scale wise Unistorm's default prefab is much smaller. To make it appear as if Unistorm is throughout my world I have simply made it follow my "train" centering it on the trains coordinates as it moves along. Can Unistorm be scaled up to match any scene size? Or is keeping Unistorm original size like i've done the right approach to a large scene such as mine?

$overhead.JPG

One problem I am having is the rotational axis of the sun and moon. They way my scene is laid out my sun currently rises in the north and sets in the south. Obviously I would like a East to West arrangement but I have been unsuccessful with rotating the positions of these two objects. Every time I play my scene the time of day jumps them back to there previous north to south direction. Any thoughts greatly appreciated, I am sure I'm just missing one simple operation here.

Secondly I cannot figure out a bright white light source affecting my world about 40% off in the distance. (picture attached) Using the day time slider I can see that this is only a problem during and in and around high noon. :confused:

$white_light.JPG

I have tried turning off many light sources to pin point the source without any luck. I have also turned off the scripts for sun shafts, bloom and lens flares, Global Fog, Contrast Enhance as well as Color Correction with no luck.

Also when I have made a change I am sure to update my prefab.

Any help or ideas are welcome.

Cheers,

Ken

33. justinl

justinl

I'm not sure about the first problem, but the second issue is probably the Render Settings fog (Edit > Render Settings). You can adjust the render settings fog colours and alpha from the UniStorm inspector. I can't remember if there's an option to disable it outright or not. I seem to recall that even if you turn off the Render Settings fog from unity, the UniStorm script automatically enables it.

34. kad82

kad82

Thank you Justin, that fixed the issue with the White Light above, Day Fog was cranked high into a white/blue color, I must have bumped it at some point and turned it up too high.

Cheers and thanks again,

Ken

35. JohnPet

JohnPet

This system is nearly perfect. For the newer versions i suggest you add a water system as well ( including perhaps underwater effects) which reacts to the weather. So, if we have calm weather, there are no waves, and if there's a storm, the waves start to go really high up. That would be a fine addition.

36. AlienMind

AlienMind

Hi.

Bought the package yesterday, importet it from unity assetstore and godt a toon of errors, the first problem i fixed was with the image effect problem that i can see that everyone is having. The other problem that i really cant seem to fin a solution to is with the importet character controller scripts get me these errors:

Assets/UniStorm/Demo/UniStormCamera/Character Controllers/Sources/Scripts/FPSInputController_UniStorm.js(1,21): BCE0018: The name 'CharacterMotor' does not denote a valid type ('not found'). Did you mean 'UnityEngine.CharacterInfo'?

I tried to import the package on my laptop to in a new project, it gives med the same errors. Is this a known error?

Edit: Deleted it, and now the errors are gone, will se if the system still works. Cant wait to try it out:D

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  37. Rico21745

Rico21745

Does Unistorm support the ability to detect if a player/NPC is standing in an area where they would get wet by the rain?

How easy is it to interface with Unistorm to do things like changing the weather through script?

38. markfrancombe

markfrancombe

Hi BHS!

You mentioned a while back about making a setup for people who have to spawn their player characters. IE have the attached UniStorm things follow the player in a separate Game Object instead of being directly ON the player, which is hard to set-up at run-time.

I made some clutzy effort which worked for a bit, but seems to have broken now. Is this feature going to be in 1.7 (AND WHEN WILL IT BE OUT!!!!)

(just figuring out if I have to do some fixing or some waiting?

:)

Mark

39. BHS

BHS

Yes, we are working on implementing this.

This was because you have to break the prefab instance. This is covered in the documentation. When the game starts Unity will grab all values from the prefab which will change the values you changed in the editor. Whether it's UniStorm or some other system this will happen unless you break the prefab instance. It's just how Unity 3d works.

Documentation is included with UniStorm. It is 27 PDF pages and covers everything about the system and any problems you might have. Video tutorials are being worked on.

Yes, UniStorm enables it. If it's too bright you can change the color and shade via the UniStorm Editor. We will add a checkbox to enable or disable the fog on start.

We are working on implementing this.

We will be adding a checkbox enabling instantiated UniStorm.

Yes these errors can be fixed by deleting those fps scripts. This will be fixed as of 1.7.

40. BHS

BHS

This could be implemented using particle collisions. Rain particle collisions are already attacked to the rain system. If there is a collision with layer "Rain" change waypoint/path/destination to nearest dry spot.

We already have a system that allows you to change the weather and time of day in game. This can be enabled through the UniStorm Editor. If you would like to implement your own custom weather changer you can check the UniStorm script as a reference or refer to the UniStorm documentation.

41. Mihai93

Mihai93

can you please relase your character controller? please

42. Gunhi

Gunhi

looking awesome, I'm going to buy this. Just a tinny question is that.

Does this tool can simulate Ocean Storm like buoyancy, waves, boat wakes or something make the scene more realistic?

43. BHS

BHS

Which character controller system are you referring to?

No it doesn't. UniStorm is a dynamic day and night weather system. If you want a ocean simulator check the Asset Store. You could combine an ocean simulator and UniStorm if you want. You could do something like increase wave intensity and wave speed when there is a UniStorm storm using only 1 variable which would be weatherForcaster. Using variables in UniStorm is covered in the documentation.

44. kad82

kad82

BHS,

I have underground lit train stations in my scene. I realize now that the ambient lighting unistorm provides is affecting these underground areas. I light these underground areas with a separate lighting system that is layered only to these specific regions and have any unistorm lights not affect them. Is there away however to have the ambient lighting not affect these areas or would it require alot of scripting?

Thanks,

Ken

45. justinl

justinl

One way without scripting would be to disable all ambient light (set alpha to 0) and only use real lights, not ambient light or global fog effect on the player. You could toggle these effects on/off when you go indoors and outdoors but that would require a bunch of scripting.

46. kad82

kad82

If I want Unistorm to cycle through realtime of 24hours in a day what is required to be set for the Time Options?

Thanks,
    Ken

47. justinl

justinl

The time is simply the day cycle length in seconds, so 24 hours would be 24 x 60 x 60 = 86400 seconds in a day.

48. Sam1987

Sam1987

A few months ago I was experimenting with different weather systems in Unity, and Unistorm was so easy to use and produced such great results that it was easily the best I had come across.

I had previously been working on a simple prototype, in which the terrain was a static 2km by 2km area. I just placed the Unistorm prefab in the center and had no problems.

In the system I'm developing now, world sizes are much larger. I have a dynamic terrain loading system that uses a grid of terrains that make up 16km by 16km worlds. If I drop the Unistorm prefab into the middle of my scene, the world is so big that the player can walk outside the Unistorm bubble.

My question, then, is what is the best way to use Unistorm with very large worlds? Can I simply adjust the scale of the UnistormPrefab? I've tried this out, and it initially seems to work. Are there any negative consequences to scaling up the UnistormPrefab, and is there a better way to use Unistorm with a very large game world?

49. Setmaster

Setmaster

What are the top differences between this and Time of Day ?

50. BHS

BHS

Yes, precisely this.

Many other UniStorm cusomters have procedurally generated terrains as well. They simply use a simple following script that has UniStorm follow the player. This would only be along the X Y and Z axis. You wouldn't include rotations. This approach seems to work for everyone and can be used for even endless terrains. However, if scaling is working for you that's fine to, but you will need to increase the camera clipping plane.