Search Unity

[RELEASED] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. PeterB

PeterB

Hi there! This was in fact something I was going to suggest: the finer control in 2.5 will be very useful in many situations. Even better than I expected! Thanks. I hope the manual settings still take the general level of lighting into consideration and aren't just fixed levels. There needs to be some correlation to the ambient colour at all times, as it varies with weather conditions. Even better would be to also factor in sun- and moonlight.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  2. virror

virror

Why do the Sun/Moon light have Terrain set as culled as default? Seems a bit strange, not so strange i had issues with lighting : D

3. virror

virror

Found a small bug, if you change weather while there is a lightning going on, that lightning will get stuck in the scene forever with its light.

4. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

This is handled through the Sound Manager Options in the UniStorm Editor. You can disable these sounds from playing if you don't want them playing. The Audio Clip that controls the volume of the Sound Manager can be found on the UniStormEditor object underneath the Editor.

You are welcome!

I think the new way the Ambient Intensity is handled will work great. It has also improved lighting quality. Color are still taken in the Ambient Lighting as they were previously. This new functionality also adjusts the Ambient Intensity based on the time of day. Adding Ambient Intensity support for moon and weather conditions is something we can certainly add within the next few updates.

I don't believe it was set by default, I just checked.

Thanks! I thought there was some code in place for that. I'll look into it and fix it if not.

PeterB likes this.
  5. BHS

BHS

UniStorm's weather generating algorithm is a bit dated, so we have rewritten it. UniStorm 2.2 will feature a brand new weather generation system capable of simulating more realistic weather than previously. We plan on providing several presets for both options using the climate generation based on real-world data.

We plan on adding graph control for other UniStorm factors such as temperature, day and night length, and more. The graph will be optional and the default methods can be used.

Feedback or suggestions regarding this would be appreciated.

There are 2 new options to generate precipitation:

Visual Bars and Sliders - This option allows users to pick the odds for each season based on a customizable percentage using sliders. The sliders determine the odds (in percent) for both precipitation and clear weather. The higher the Precipitation Odds, the more chance of precipitation weather types. The lower the Precipitation Odds, the lower chance of precipitation weather types and higher chance of non-precipitation weather types. The bars below visually represent the odds for each season. UniStorm will generate its weather based off the percentages below.
    PrecipitationGeneration1(2.5).png

Graph - This advanced option allows users far more control to pick the odds for each month based on a customizable percentage using an Animation Curve/Graph. Setting weather odds via the line graph gives you precise control over each month. The line graph consists of a Y value of 0.0 through 1.0. This Y value represents the percentage of precipitation in decimal form. If you have a Y value of 0.1, this would be the equivalent to 10%. The X value represents each month from 1-12. This advanced control allows weather odds to fade in between each month and allows you to make fronts or even follow real-world data from other graphs.
    PrecipitationGeneration2(2.5).png

A graph of the chance for precipitation for the UniStorm whole year. (X-axis 1.00 (January) - 12.99 (December))
    PrecipitationGeneration3(2.5).png

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    zeb33, montyfi, Tinjaw and 1 other person like this.
  6. virror

virror

This is a great step in the right direction for sure : D
    I still wish as a wrote waaay back that instead of seasons that drive the temperature witch is very man made and static, it should be temperature that drives the seasons as it works in real life. Just have a curve as above for temperature, base could be just a sinus curve and then let that naturally drive the seasons. Seasons would no longer be a variable, it would be a natural result of the outside temperature. Leaves would start fall not based on a season variable, but when it starts to be cold outside as an example. On that you would of course add some daily random fluctuations and maybe even a put the sun intensity as a parameter in there as well as its usually warmer during the day than night. That would make it super flexible as well to choose how you want your world to be, lot of winter? Lot of summer? Short springs? Just drag a little on the curve and you have the year of your dreams : p

Sorry for the long wall of text : D

7. Mrkubaisi

Mrkubaisi

Please Help Changing sounds volume never works
    i tried disabling the unistorm script even this get the sound to work What Is Happening
    i have only one unistorm instance,are you using shared instances for sound generation or what
    please Help it would drive me mad.
    Thanks.

8. Mrkubaisi

Mrkubaisi

Its The Nature Ambience Sound Source ohhhh Myyyyyy
    keep an eye for that ;)

BHS likes this.
  9. BHS

BHS

Thanks!

We will explain for everyone who's interested below.

We are currently working on graph based temperatures and it's working great. Fluctuating temperatures will also be based off of a graph. This gives realistic results and even allows users to follow real-world graphs, if desired.

We will keep the old systems and improve them for those who want to keep things simple. All graph options are completely optional.

TemperatureGraph.png

X-Axis (Month) Y-Axis (Average Temperature)
    AverageTemperatureGraph.png

X-Axis (Hour) Y-Axis (Temperature Fluctuation)
    TemperatureFluctuationGraph.png

The Precipitation Graph has also been tweaked to have the Y-Axis represent the precipitation odds in percent form rather than as a decimal. NewPrecipitationGraph.png

10. virror

virror

11. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone!

UniStorm 2.2 will also bring improved clouds. Below are some screenshots of the progress. UniStorm's clouds will have improved shading and will be much denser. The density of the clouds will be adjustable via a slider in the UniStorm Editor.

ImprovedClouds1.png
    ImprovedClouds2.png
    ImprovedClouds3.png

Arganth likes this.
  12. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

The only lighting I am using is Unistorm. My preference would be that it is not so dark in the shadows as to not be able to make anything out. There should be some scatter from the atmosphere lighting the ground next to and the outside walls of those buildings; enough to at least make out enough detail to be more than completely black.

What do people think I need to do/tweak to get this more like I want it?

13. virror

virror

Try lighting settings, there you can change ambient lighting.

14. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

I would recommend doing the follow with Environmental Lighting Settings.

* Change your Ambient Source to Color. Often, Unity's Skybox Ambient Source setting is far too dark resulting in the the near pitch black ambient lighting seen above.

* Adjust the Indirect Intensity. This can help make ambient lighting more even or lighter.

* Adjust your Ambient Intensity to get the right amount of Ambient Lighting. Sometimes a setting of 1 can make things look a little washed out.

With UniStorm 2.2, these settings will be adjustable via the UniStorm Editor. For now, this should help you get the results you're looking for.

15. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

That made a huge improvement.

Then, you were right, I had to turn down the Ambient Intensity because it was too washed out..

Thanks. You answered my question.

16. Sphelps

Sphelps

Do you what would be the issue here?
    It happened after I imported Unistorm!

Attached Files:

17. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

I'm not sure, I have never seen that issue before. If you could answer the following questions, it would help us better understand what's happening.

What version of Unity are you using?
    What version of UniStorm are you using?
    Have you tried closing Unity and reopening it?
    Do you have any other systems/tools besides UniStorm in your project? If so, which ones?

Sphelps likes this.
  18. Sphelps

Sphelps

Yea just needed to reload thanks :)

19. Sphelps

Sphelps

Can you add a cold breath effect to the pack that would make it look cool

20. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

That's should be pretty simple with a particle effect. Just make a cloud in photoshop etc (or find one online) to use as the texture, and work the particle system.

Sphelps likes this.
  21. zeb33

zeb33

Hi
    Is there a known issue with unity5.4 ? Am getting crash every time try to create climate.

22. Sphelps

Sphelps

Have you tried it in a new project?

23. SureSight

SureSight

I have attached a screenshot. As you can see all is reasonably well lit except for the characters.

Static objects are lit just fine, but dynamic objects are not.
    Since we talked last, I have added one Reflection Probe in the sky similar to the UniStorm demo scenes, but this is very inefficient.

Is there another solution?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  24. GOLDY00

GOLDY00

Hi guys I love this package it's awesome but I have a question I'm making a ww1 shooter but what I'm looking for is when it rains I would like the floor to start to puddle or if it's long and heavy enough it gets bigger but it does it wth all items is this possible and btw I'm not a programmer I'm an artist

25. BHS

BHS

This can be adjusted with the Reflection Intensity as shown below:

Fix Dark Dynamic Objects 1.png
    Fix Dark Dynamic Objects 2.png

It sounds like you would need to have a custom shader. As for the UniStorm part it would be something like the below:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class EffectWhileRaining : MonoBehaviour
    5. {
    6.     UniStormWeatherSystem_C uniStormSystem;        //Our UniStorm Script
    8.     void Start ()
    9.     {
    10.         uniStormSystem = GameObject.Find("UniStormSystemEditor").GetComponent<UniStormWeatherSystem_C>();    //Our reference to UniStorm  
    11.     }
    14.     void Update ()
    15.     {
    16.         if (uniStormSystem.weatherForecaster == 33 && uniStormSystem.temperature >= 33)      //Check if it's raining
    17.         {
    18.             //Start rain puddle effect
    19.         }
    20.     }
    21. }

26. jf3000

jf3000

Instead of having the morning, afternoon, evening and night, does UniStorm allow you to setup the 4 phases of the moon instead?

Moon Phases Simplified
    It's probably easiest to understand the moon cycle in this order: new moon and full moon, first quarter and third quarter, and the phases in between.

The new moon occurs when the moon is positioned between the earth and sun. The three objects are in approximate alignment (why "approximate" is explained below). The entire illuminated portion of the moon is on the back side of the moon, the half that we cannot see.

At a full moon, the earth, moon, and sun are in approximate alignment, just as the new moon, but the moon is on the opposite side of the earth, so the entire sunlit part of the moon is facing us. The shadowed portion is entirely hidden from view.

The first quarter and third quarter moons (both often called a "half moon"), happen when the moon is at a 90 degree angle with respect to the earth and sun. So we are seeing exactly half of the moon illuminated and half in shadow.

In this possible in UniStorm? Thank you

27. GamerPET

GamerPET

How can I speed up the time progression?
    I want to do a super fast speed time... like for 1 second to advance something like 2 hours... then stop. Then again... (when I press a button) for 1 second advance 2 hours.

Is it possible to do this? Another plugin has a function to "Advance Time" and I can set up the speed on how fast to advance the time.

Thanks

EDIT:
    I can enable the "Time Stopped" checkbox and set up the day & night length to something like 0.2.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  28. BHS

BHS

Yes, it should be.

By default, UniStorm uses 8 moon phases. What you could do is repeat the moon phases by skipping the ones you don't need. You can set the moon phase materials in the UniStorm Editor.

UniStorm has 8 moon phase slots in the Editor. You could adjust them so they repeat giving you only 4 moon phases instead.

1: New Moon
    2: Half Moon
    3: Full Moon
    4: Half Moon
    5: New Moon
    6: Half Moon
    7: Full Moon
    8: Half Moon

jf3000 likes this.
  29. GOLDY00

GOLDY00

Ok thanks I'll try it

30. imtehQ

imtehQ

Hey i just downloaded and imported it to the new version, i forgot to update it and i was still at 1.8.5 something.
    Anyways i deleted the old files before downloading, and imported it and starting a demo or just useing it i get this error:

What did i brake?

31. ThomasBrix

ThomasBrix

I have no clouds. Tested in Advanced UniStorm UI Control C# demo scene. I'm on Linux with Unity 4.4.0b16. There are no shader errors in my log.

32. imtehQ

imtehQ

i use the menu tto spawn in a new weather system and i get gameobject with missing script, please explan..

33. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

If you want to instantiate a UniStorm prefab, see the UniStorm Spawn Example. You will need to spawn the UniStorm system before you spawn your player.

Hey there!

Unity version 4 is supported, but hasn't been updated in awhile, which is most likely why you're having some issues. We have no plans on submitting a updates for the Unity 4 version of UniStorm because 97% of Unity users use Unity 5+.

Use Unity 5 to get the newest version of UniStorm.

34. BHS

BHS

We have added another highly requested feature to UniStorm.

With UniStorm 2.2, you will be able to individually control each category for both fading in and fading out various factors for precipitation and clear weather types. This allows you to customize your storms and how they fade in and out without having to alter any code. The settings support both fading faster, slower, or almost instantly. This will also help users who use faster day lengths.

FadeOptions.png

pixxelbob and SureSight like this.
  35. szymonkosok

szymonkosok

I can be wrong, but looking at b16 in version string I think he is talking about 5.4 not 4.4. :)

36. Killersan

Killersan

Any chance for clouds shadows ?
    It would be nice feature :)

37. GamerPET

GamerPET

Currently the sun only rotates on one axis apparently, which makes it always travel in a straight line, which is not realistic (you can only adjust the y axis rotation). Is there a way to also add an animated rotation on another axis, so it can look more realistic?

Also, the sun's starting intensity seems to be set at around 0.6 , is there a way to set that higher if we want a brighter sun in the morning?

38. ThomasBrix

ThomasBrix

Yes sorry it is Unity 5.

39. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

We will look into adding cloud shadows as a possible feature :)

We plan on adding support for rotating the sun on multiple axises.

The sun intensity varies based on the time of day. The max sun intensity is reached when the sun is highest in the sky.

If you want a higher sun intensity in the morning, you can increase the max sun intensity to a higher value. This may make your sun light during the day a little bright. You can fix this by making your day sun light color a darker shade of the color you currently have.

We plan on redoing the way sun brightness is handled with UniStorm 2.2. This solution will work until then.

Try using the Unity 5.4 cloud shader that we have supplied. It should allow you to properly see the clouds.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  40. ThomasBrix

ThomasBrix

I don't see one for 5.4. I tried the one for 5.3.3 and I still didn't get any clouds.

41. virror

virror

Would be nice to be able to set the intensity by using a curve, instead of the current quite linear way. Would also make more sense to be able to have a small "plateau" in the middle of the day instead of a spike.

I think this might have been asked about before, but including an Event for weather change would be super neat, so external scripts dont need to use Update to constantly scan for changes in the weather.

42. GamerPET

GamerPET

Hey @BHS ,

can you help me out with some info? I'm going to do some stuff using PlayMaker so I need to know some variables that you are using.

What I do is basically drag and drop your C script ... and then in PlayMaker I see something like this:

I need to find out what's the functions/variables for:
    1. Hour
    2. Minutes
    3. Time Stopped

What I will try to do is get the Hour & Minutes of Unistorm so I can "Dynamically" make my clock to display the current Hour & Minutes. Also, when I will click the clock I want to disable the "Time Stopped" bool (make it false so the time will advance).

4. Day & Night Length (I want to be able to change the length of day/night on the fly. That way when I want to advance time super fast, I uncheck the Time Stopped bool & I set up the day/night length to something like 0.2 and after 1 second I stop.

Thanks <3

EDIT:
    I found "Time Stopped, Day & Night Length". I still need a way to know the current Minutes & Hour.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  43. vampir26

vampir26

Hello

I have small question:
    Can I set time (and weather) instantly via script?
    I wish to set hour and minutes while playmode and the time change instantly.

Hope this is possible :)

44. BHS

BHS

Thanks for the suggestion.

We went ahead and implemented a line graph for the sun intensity and it worked great. It allowed us to rework UniStorm's lighting and it looks much better. This allows sun sets to be as bright as users will need while having the light fade out as it dips below the horizon. We will post some screenshots of our progress shortly.

An event or function for weather change can certainly be done. We will add it to the list for UniStorm 2.2.

Hey there!

In order to pick the start time you will need to set the variables startTimeMinute and startTimeHour to the time you want UniStorm to be set to. You will then need to call the LoadTime() function.

Yes, this is totally possible!

You would do what we mentioned above using the variables startTimeMinute and startTimeHour then call the LoadTime() function. See our SavePlayerData script for an example.

As for weather, you would just change the variable weatherForcaster to the desired weather using our weather list here: http://unistorm-weather-system.wikia.com/wiki/Code_References#Weather

45. virror

virror

Awesome!

46. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone!

UniStorm 2.2's lighting has been redone. This is done by using a Animation Curve that allows users to set the sun intensity based on the time of day and their scenes. Sunsets and sunrise are now much brighter and more vibrant. UniStorm's lighting fully utilizes Unity's Global Illumination.

We will include a simplified version for user who don't want to use the Animation Curve. This will also allow users to control the Sun Intensity for each time of day. However, the simplified version isn't as flexible as the Animation Curve.

UniStorm 2.2 should be submitted within the next few weeks, but possibly sooner.

ImprovedLighting1.png
    ImprovedLighting2.png
    ImprovedLighting3.png
    ImprovedLighting4.png
    ImprovedLighting5.png

pixxelbob and docsavage like this.
  47. virror

virror

Looking really nice!

48. recon0303

recon0303

How well does this work for mobile Android, IOS?? Older systems as well as new.??

49. blamejane

blamejane

Thinking about purchasing this asset. I'm specifically looking at the wind forces as I want to apply them to my drone. The drone is a child of a dummy object. The dummy object follows a path. I want the wind forces to affect the drone as it's being pulled along a path by its parent. Does this seem doable with your asset?

50. ThomasBrix

ThomasBrix