Search Unity

[RELEASED] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. tequyla

tequyla

Hello,

Great assets.

Before bought, one question : is shadow, for static (ex: house) and no static (ex: player) object, following Day cycle ?

+++

2. BHS

BHS

The shadows can be used for static, if Static Time is on, or shadows can be dynamic, if Static Time is off.

3. tequyla

tequyla

hello,

thank you

in the pocket :)

++

4. BHS

BHS

You're welcome.

5. BHS

BHS

We're excited to announce that full Oculus Rift, and other VR support, for UniStorm is planned Q1 2016. First test are already looking great and we can confirm that Oculus Rift currently works for UniStorm. However, we would like to add Auto Player Setup support as well as more Oculus Rift features. This won't affect the standard Desktop version of UniStorm negatively. It simply means we're adding additional support at no additional cost to new or existing customers.

UniStormOculusRif_VR.png
    UniStormOculusRif_VR_2.png

radimoto likes this.
  6. Alex3333

Alex3333

how to make the synchronization over the network ? (Photon Pun)

7. Seiraniel

Seiraniel

I followed the tutorials but I'm getting two unassigned component exceptions: mistFog and moonLight.

Using Unity 5.2.3 and the latest version of Unistorm.

8. BHS

BHS

We have been working on an example all morning and we have UniStorm working over the network with synced weather and time of day using Photon. It has 1 player run everything as a master client which then sends the weather and time data to other clients when the weather changes/time is updated. If the master client is disconnected, the master client status is passed on to another player to act as the master client. As long as players don't have access to the Time and Weather changing tools, the time or weather can not be altered by anyone other than flowing and changing by UniStorm itself. This can be handled differently, but it's a very nice starting point for those who need help with UniStorm and Photon.

We will be posting a tutorial on our wiki later today after we have finished testing everything.

Day
    UniStorm_Photon.png

Night
    UniStorm_Photon_2.png

You need to make sure you use Auto Player Setup. Setting up with UniStorm is done handled automatically. See the UniStorm wiki for more information on setting up here:
    http://unistorm-weather-system.wiki...ion#Creating_your_Own_UniStorm_Weather_System

Sonnenspeer likes this.
  9. fatality674

fatality674

Is there any easy way of bypassing specific features?

I want to use the weather effects without using the time of day/skybox part of UniStorm (I want to use Time of Day the asset).

10. BHS

BHS

You would have to go through and comment out the function that controls all color and light elements. I can't remember the function name off the top of my head, but it's along the lines of time of day control. You would then disable the sun and moon light objects in the hierarchy.

11. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Hey montyfi, the sun at 0.05 is actually bigger than the sun from earth anyway, because of it's distance, Whereas the moon is bigger because it is closer. Stylised movies and computer games actually have distorted our pre conception of reality :) but, at least BHS offers a way to stylise these objects in game.

@BHS, any idea when an update is due to fix the clouds, and weather transitions for those of us who updated to Unity 5.3?

12. montyfi

montyfi

Oh, really? Perhaps I have missed an astronomy course in University. Wait, maybe we are living on different Earth?
    Real photo:

Unistorm max for me smallsun.png :

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  13. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

Montyfi, change the field of view in Unity and you can make the sun appear bigger or smaller. This is essentially happens when someone zooms the camera to make the moon or sun appear large.

more reading is provided here and here

14. BHS

BHS

Did changing the cap in the editor like we demonstrated help? It should have made it 10x bigger. We are working on an update that we will be submitting soon and the cap for the sun has been improved. The numbers also have been changed to be integers instead floats.

15. montyfi

montyfi

Yes, thank you.

16. BHS

BHS

You're welcome.

17. BHS

BHS

The tutorial on getting UniStorm's time and weather synced over the network with Photon will be on the UniStorm Wiki later today. This will allow UniStorm to be synced over the work without having to alter the UniStorm system itself.

18. Petha

Petha

What is the best way to change the path the sun takes? For instance if the game takes place somewhere in the northern hemisphere during the Winter, then days should be really short and the sun angle really low.

Currently if I shorten the days the sun still takes the highest path over the sky like the player was in the Sahara desert or something. Also If I set the day length to 1 the sun goes quickly and then stops at the horizon for a comparably long time.

19. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

@montyfi, apologies, I re-read my post and realised I might have sounded rather snooty old boy. It certainly wasn't my intention to be condescending.......just humorous :) Obviously, I'll have to work on my performance somewhat...;)

In my mediocre attempt at mirth, I failed to communicate that like in holywood movies and games, the size of the moon and sun is purely stylised, to appear illusionary.

More specifically, in reality when you observe the sun and or moon on the horizon (as in your photos), they will always appear larger, as opposed to their zenith and orbit. At university in Astronomy 100, we learnt that this is an optical illusion created by depth perception, light and scale of objects within our view... :)

So no, we are living on the same earth :) But as a geologist I spend more time with rocks and under the earth.

@BHS, saying that though, I had observed when using unistorm after increasing the size of the moon or the sun, that its reflection image stays the original size, and doesn't increase or decrease. Is there a possibility to have the sun and moon changes sizes to mimic the reality illusion like Montyfi has pointed out?

Any idea when an update is due to fix the clouds, and weather transitions for those of us who updated to Unity 5.3, as I would like to add a review for you to the Asset Store?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  20. montyfi

montyfi

Now I realized that this is the feature I'm missing, thanks :)
    @BHS it would be a nice feature to have, shouldn't be hard to implement perhaps. And no other solution doing it ;)

21. Rad-Coders

Rad-Coders

Hi, may I ask wether there is going to be a special on UniStorm over the Christmas weekend. Want to know before I buy, because I might just save myself 10 bucks or possibly more.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  22. Arganth

Arganth

:D

Sonnenspeer likes this.
  23. Rad-Coders

Rad-Coders

Didn't even realise but very ironic ;)

24. Rad-Coders

Rad-Coders

25. BHS

BHS

We plan on updating the sun rotations to give more control over the sun's angle in a future update.

The day and night length control how many minutes it takes to complete day or night. The day and night starting time is the hour that the day or night will start using the day and night length.

We can certainly add the feature you've explained. We will see if we can add it in the next update.

The pink cloud issue is a simple fix. We will add the fix to our UniStorm wiki site and post it here when we've done so.

Yes, we can add this. It's a great feature suggestion.

There isn't going to be a special sale over Christmas weekend with UniStorm.

UniStorm should work with the Advanced Foliage Shader. I can't see why it wouldn't. However, if you have any issues with it, just post it here and we can help you out.

montyfi likes this.
  26. Rad-Coders

Rad-Coders

Thank you for the reply, greatly appreciate it.

--Andre

27. BHS

BHS

You're welcome.

28. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

@BHS, actually I don't have any clouds ....not one. I am using the desktop C# weather system. In fact, I have no weather transition either clouds, rain, snow or anything except the day night transitions (which works perfectly) :)

Also on a side note. I am using Gaia to create my terrains (2048 x 2048) and average between 120 - 100 fps with trees, textures, details and water added. When I import Unistorm into my terrain there is no loss of fps; except when I start using the Unistorm editor and add the climate generation or simply change the default day time from 1700 to 0800 I get a consistent drop of 40fps I'm sure this wasn't occuring before.

I'd appreciate others thoughts and or findings on this. I am currently using the latest Unity 5.3 and Unistorm 2.1.1.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  29. BHS

BHS

Unity 5.3 has introduced some bugs, not even related to UniStorm.

Your cloud issue is most likely due to the shader changes with Unity 5.3. To fix it, follow the tutorial here: http://unistorm-weather-system.wiki...ds_are_pink_or_not_showing_up_.28Unity_5.3.29

TheSeawolf likes this.
  30. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Thanks BHS, I must have done something wrong, because in 5.3 I couldn't find a way to alter the shader because no options appear. So I found the folder that contained all shaders and changed them.

It all works now, thanks BHS.

31. BHS

BHS

You're welcome.

32. donJuanito

donJuanito

Hi, I am working on a game based on early medieval England, and UniStorm seems just perfect. The only question I have is that I need to access the terrain data to modify heights, details, and textures. Would that be a problem?

33. BHS

BHS

No, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

34. donJuanito

donJuanito

Thanks a lot for the quick response. Your system looks just perfect for what I need. Merry Christmas!!

35. BHS

BHS

You're welcome and merry Christmas.

36. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

I am having a bear of a time with this asset so far. I am using Ceto and in a clean project, with a demo scene (or new using a prefab) the sun does not line up with the water specular.

StaffanEk likes this.
  37. BHS

BHS

You can adjust the sun's position to correct the specular light. This will be fixed with our new version we are submitting in the next couple of days, but until then you can do the below.

Go to your "Sun" game object and adjust the position (x,y,z) to (46,-513,6.6). This will correct the specular light to look like it does below.

UniStorm_Ceto_1.png

38. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

Thanks, that gets it much closer. Now my second issue is the 'Sun' object in the Environment settings for the scene render settings will not stay connected to what I set it for. We are loading our scenes dynamically and when it loads the scene and goes to night we get the snap to a blue color (looks like the lightning directional light color). This is a major issue that needs to be solved. We cannot set the sun object in an editor view (and have unity save it as part of the scene) and the API doesn't show the object is able to be handled through code. It even happens in the demo scenes included in the package. This is the only sky system that seems to have this trouble that we have tested so far.

39. BHS

BHS

This is a Unity bug, but it can be saved. If you are using UniStorm as a prefab, you will need to break the prefab connection then link the sun object and save the scene. The sun can not be saved while the prefab is still connected.

The fact that the API isn't visible is completely on Unity. I'm not sure why they wouldn't have the sun variable useable when quite a few people would find it useful.

Stormy102 likes this.
  40. IvanAF

IvanAF

Hi:

Sorry for my english, its very poor.

In unity 5.3.1 i get this errors :

1.- Invalid AABB a

2.- IsFinite(outDistanceForSort)

3.- IsFinite(outDistanceAlongView)

Thanks and best regards

41. BHS

BHS

There is a Unity bug that is causing the errors you've posted. It is not UniStorm. You will need to revert back to Unity 5.2 until Unity releases a fix.

See the forums here for more info on the Unity bug: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/un...d-aabb-result-isfinite-d.374926/#post-2432812

42. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

I have been networking UniStorm over the past few days, and while the basics are pretty simple such as getting it to show the same(ish) weather at the same time, the problem is each client is getting different random min/max values so they are seeing slightly different weather for the same weather setting. What would be beneficial is some sort of 'seed' value that could be used for the randomness to build off of or be able to send the min/max of each part in a single RPC to the clients. I made quite a few changes to the lightning to allow it to render based on the server randomization, and other small tweaks to make them all look more identical, but the randomizing is killing the exact weather replication. We are getting different fog levels and in a game the relies in tactical use of weather this is not going to work as we can end up with 100-200m difference in visibility for clients. We really need the weather to be the EXACT same on clients as the server sends out, especially during transitional periods from one weather type to another. Is it possible that you could create an event or method that allows us to get the current weather settings so we can RPC them across the network?

Nateply likes this.
  43. IvanAF

IvanAF

44. BHS

BHS

With our UniStorm network tests, it seems like we were able to get the same values that other players had. We can move this to PM and I will post the code we've been using to give you an idea how we've been doing it. It's an external script that doesn't require UniStorm to be altered. It has a function that tracks all needed variables and syncs them over the network. It's then sent to master client that sends them to other players. More variables can be added if needed.

Great to hear it's working. This Unity 5.3 bug was causing customers some issues. We will add the solution to upgrade to Unity 5.3.1p1 to the wiki.

45. montyfi

montyfi

Because no one else was complaining I assume something wrong with my setup. Two images below, one at 2:20AM, second one half an hour later, the moon moved just a little bit (still not visible on screen because it is almost in zenith), no weather changes. But what happened with the moon light at that 30 minutes? I think if the Moon shines, it shines, no drops should happened if weather condition was not changed.
    time2_20.png time2_55.png

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  46. BHS

BHS

Your moon light intensity peaks around 12:00 am. Once it starts getting closer to the horizon, the moon intensity lessens. What you are seeing is your Ambient Twilight color take over your night color. (The twilight is the color from evening to night as well as night to morning) If you want to keep consistent brightness throughout the night, set your Twilight color (located in the ambient colors under Color Options) to be the same color as your night ambient light, or maybe even a little brighter. It looks like your Twilight color is black, which is why it's so dark.

For more information, see the Ambient light on the UniStorm Wiki here: http://unistorm-weather-system.wikia.com/wiki/Documentation#Ambient_Light_Color

47. montyfi

montyfi

Um, I didn't touch any colors, they are default ones. And twilight looks pretty bright.
    weathercolors.png

48. BHS

BHS

Alright, I was able to figure out what's going on. This is happening because you are using the Skybox as your Ambient Source in your Environmental Light settings. This setting doesn't use the color of the ambient light that UniStorm or Unity uses. If you want to be able to control the ambient light color, you will need to use the Color setting for Ambient Source. You can also use Gradient, which will give you 3 color options. However, UniStorm will only adjust the Sky Color of this setting.

49. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

@BHS I must say having read the past few pages, I an very pleased to see the amount of support you provide.

EDarkness, BHS and Sonnenspeer like this.
  50. BHS

BHS

Thank you.

We're always more than willing to help our customers in anyway we can.