Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[70% OFF!] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. shwa

shwa

Unistorm 2.0 for Unity 4. ?

Hi,
    The assetstore page says:

Requires Unity 4.3.4 or higher.

Does that mean 2.0 has now been updated to work in Unity 4?

thanks,
    shwa

2. BHS

BHS

You are totally fine with collaborating here to get UniStorm working with other plugins/systems.

We are working on the UniStorm 2.0 version for Unity 4 users. I'm not sure why it's saying it's available for Unity 4.

It shouldn't be too much longer.

3. JasonBricco

JasonBricco

So, there's no way I can use mesh colliders. They have far too many associated problems - memory requirements, slowing world loading dramatically, killing the FPS, etc.

So this is what I need to know: is there a way to control how particles collide, or is it using the default Unity particle collision system/colliders? Everything about this asset works for me except for particle collisions. Rain will fall through my world and into caves and underground areas, and it won't collide with things. This detail ruins the asset for me.

But you stated:

Which seems to imply that collision systems other than Unity's will work. But how is this? What do the particles look for to collide with?

If there's no way for me to do this, then I can't use this and wasted my money. (My attempts at finding out for myself haven't been very successful so far.)

4. BHS

BHS

This is a bit tricky, I'll see what I can do.

There's no way for Unity's particle system to detect a custom collider system. It does however, send messages. So that might shed some light as to how it works.

With that being said, I think I have found somewhat of a solution (more of a work around) for you (if you can detect your own collisions). This goes for anyone else that's looking for collisions with a voxel like terrain.

Note: If you are just needing rain to vaguely collide with the terrain than this should work.

1) Create a plane, check Convex, and make it isTrigger true. isTrigger is so that it won't interfere with your player.

Rain Collisions 1.png

2) Get UniStorm's rain particle effect and setup the collisions as followed, applying your terrain as the Plane Transform for the collisions.

Rain Collisions 2.png

3) Ensure that it works with angles by rotating your plane.

Rain Collisions 3.png

4) You will need some way of getting the angle of your voxel terrain where your player's current position is. Since you are using your own custom system, I'm not sure how you would written, but you could use some type of RayCast.

5) Using the RayCast in step 4, alter the plane's X and Z axis' based on the RayCast of your player's current custom collision angle.

There's no guarantee that this will work, but hopefully it will help you get something figured out.

JasonBricco likes this.
  5. Xtense

Xtense

Hey guys,

a quick question - are you, perhaps, planning to integrate volumetric clouds into Unistorm? Not sure whether I should get a head start looking for a plugin for those, or just wait for new Unistorm features.

Best Regards,
    Xtense

6. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

@BHS I know this is less to do with UniStorm as it is texturing, but do you know any way of making realistic looking puddles that would look good with UniStorm, as I am using a static weather pattern in UniStorm, I do not want water to accumulate which makes things easier for me, but I have no idea how to texture something like that.

I am looking for a puddle system very similar to that developed by Sébastien Lagarde for Remember Me(with the rain splashes if possible):
    https://seblagarde.wordpress.com/2013/01/03/water-drop-2b-dynamic-rain-and-its-effects/

7. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Apologies for taking so long to reply, I've been working on a few other things more recently and haven't given this the time it deserves (The Witcher 3 won't play itself!). Nope, no errors. Didn't know anything about the pixel lights, I bumped it up to 10 but the weird white was still there. Don't think I mentioned this before but it only appears when you're standing at certain places, and I just walked around for a little while in a "Storm" and only noticed one such place. Don't know what all that MEANS, but it's apparently more nuanced than I thought.

Edit:
    This looks like my problem...hmm...

Double Edit: When I go to the asset store in Unity and update, then import, the script says I'm using version 1.8.4. Any clue why I wouldn't be getting the latest version?

One more edit: Man, this a gigantic mess. When I re-import I'm getting a message about Global Fog not having a definition for heighDensity. In your solutions on your website it says to attach the appropriate language visual effects (it would be C# for me), but Unity won't let me attach a component when there's a script error...sigh. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  8. BHS

BHS

That would be a shader thing. You could achieve this by adding a global float to your wetness shader. You would then adjust this globally. Adjusting a global variable will adjust all other materials using that shader.

If you are using Unity 4.x that is why. UniStorm 2.0 is for Unity 5. We will be submitting UniStorm 2.0 for Unity 4.x within the next week or so.

To fix the global fog issue you have to add public to the script's class.

9. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

I'm definitely using Unity 5. See the attached file--
    Proof.png
    --should have all the relevant information. Not really sure how I'd fix this, seems like a Catch-22. About the global fog, you'll notice I'm having the "heightDensity" problem, not a problem with referencing Global Fog itself. And for some reason Unity won't let me assign a "new" script to a GameObject when there's currently a compile error. Quite the pickle.

10. BHS

BHS

It sounds it has something to do with the Asset Store. With UniStorm 2.0, we removed the references for the Global Fog so the fact that it's still calling for it means that the Asset Store isn't updating your asset properly.

If you have tried reimporting and/or deleting UniStorm and reimporting, contact Unity to see what they can do. I'm not sure why the Asset Store isn't updating the asset.

11. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Alright, thanks for the help.

12. BHS

BHS

You're welcome.

13. mayenco

mayenco

Hello guys, first of all: your plugin rocks!
    I have a question: for my project, I want to trigger the weather by clicking keys. How can I do this? And how can I disable the time-dependant changes on the weather-system?

14. BHS

BHS

Hey there,

Thanks, great to hear you're liking UniStorm.

Yes, this can easily be done.

To stop the time from flowing check the Time Stopped check box via the UniStorm Editor.

To change the weather clicking keys, you can use the following:

Code (CSharp):
    2. private GameObject uniStormSystem;
    3. private UniStormWeatherSystem_C uniStormSystemScript;
    5. void Awake ()
    6. {
    7.      //Find the UniStorm Weather System Editor, this must match the UniStorm Editor name
    8.      uniStormSystem = GameObject.Find("UniStormSystemEditor");
    9.      uniStormSystemScript = uniStormSystem.GetComponent<UniStormWeatherSystem_C>();
    10. }
    12. void Update ()
    13. {
    14.      if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.R))
    15.      {
    16.          uniStormSystemScript.weatherForecaster = Random.Range(1,13);
    17.      }
    18. }

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  15. EDarkness

EDarkness

BHS is there a list somewhere with what each possible value of the weatherForcaster is?

16. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

Well, there's 1... 2, 3.... 4.. obviously 5 and 6.. kidding

Seriously though, it should probably be an enum with descriptive names

EDIT: See below

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  17. BHS

BHS

18. BHS

BHS

This video demonstrates a farm that grows its plants based off of UniStorm's time and weather. We have also created a "Rest" system, similar to Skyrim's/Oblivion's, that allows you to rest and "fast forward" time.

Even if the player is inside, UniStorm's time and weather is still working. We have also muffled the weather sounds while inside.

Dryness is based off if the rain is greater than a rain intensity of 50 and the warmth is based off if the temperature is less than 45. However, if it's raining, the player's warmth will also decrease.

The player's food is subtracted by 1 per UniStorm Hour. If the player eats the harvested food, it will replenish 3 units of health. If the player has no food, there is no way to replenish it.

The plants grow at a rate of 0.1 scale per UniStorm Hour. The Mushrooms grow at a rate of 0.05 scale per UniStorm Hour.

The player must rely on finding randomly generated plants, harvesting their seeds, planting them, waiting for them to grow, and then eat them to survive.

All this was achieved using the base UniStorm system without any modifications to the UniStorm script itself. All scripts were external script that called and manipulated UniStorm. This shows that there's no real limitations to what you can use UniStorm for.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  19. shwa

shwa

Love the planting functionality! If set correctly, can one watch the plant grow, in say, 20 seconds?

20. BHS

BHS

Yes, you could certainly do that.

21. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

Absolutely amazing @BHS
    You have really outdone yourself this time.

I have been looking for rest and plant growing functionality for a long time, please tell me you will be releasing this?

22. Sphelps

Sphelps

Wow just wow......

23. Sphelps

Sphelps

You know what would be cool a breath effect if it is cold

24. BHS

BHS

Yes, we plan on releasing this as a included demo with our next version release.

For those of you who want it early, you can PM us, with your invoice number, and we can send you some script examples of how to do so.

This is a cool idea and could easily be implemented. It would just need a script watching the temperature. If it's colder than lets say 40°, instantiate or enabled cold breathing effect.

25. Sphelps

Sphelps

When do you think next release will be?
    Want t get my hands on that plant system

26. BHS

BHS

We have to get UniStorm 2.0 for Unity 4 and UniStorm Mobile 2.0 released first. Then we will submit the update that contains the updated example scripts.

We will post what we can on the UniStorm Wiki until then.

27. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Hi BHS and Black Horizon Team, I just wanted to say this product looks and sounds amazing and I'm very close to buying it. The addition of the survival and planting functionality is the clincher. However, I'm one question away from making purchase

With regards to dynamic night time weather and lighting; is it possible to have pitch black night skies that are only illuminated by the moon, where a torch/campfire/lamps would be a must to see?

I only ask as the night time in the webplayer video, survival video and screenshots are not very dark.

Cheers, and keep up the good work.

28. BHS

BHS

Thanks.

Yes, having pitch black night illuminated by the moon /torches is entirely possible. We have the night's brightness turned up in the video for demonstration purposes. Adjusting the ambient lightning so that it is black will give you the results you're looking for.

29. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Thanks BHS for the confirmation, that is very good news.

I had thought with the high level of customisation available to users within the Unistorm package that this would be the case.

Keep up the good work, and I will report back once I have made purchase.

30. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Well this seems kinda familiar :p

So I tried downloading the latest version of UniStorm from a laptop I have (not the PC I use for development) that also uses Unity 5, but it also only showed 1.8.4. So...is there a way I can email you, with some kind of code saying I've bought the asset, and then you send me the actual files (or simply the scripts--I don't need the demos necessarily) in 2.0?

31. BHS

BHS

I think this has something to do with Unity and the Asset Store. What version does the top of your script say? The current version should say version 1.8.5 (That was before we decided to call it version 2.0) So, if it says 1.8.5 at the top of the script after you have updated UniStorm, you have the right version.

If it's not updating that's Unity's side and there's nothing we can do. We could send you the scripts, but that could create issues due to some of the changes and additions to that of the previous version. It's best to contact Unity support.

32. Jaqal

Jaqal

Did the last update add more global fog support for deferred mode?

Unity 5 deferred rendering doesn't support default fog so only the global fog can be used. Unistorm defaults to this in deferred mode but I think more control would be extremely useful. Being able to set the height and height density etc without them resetting since many games use fog is very important. Anyway keep up the great work and if there is an easy work around for this please let me know.

33. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Hmm. I checked again and it was still at 1.8.4. I guess I'll have to figure out how to contact them. Thanks anyway.

34. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Some script is missing from your prefabs that have the player and camera attached.

Can you please elaborate what it is supposed to be?

Attached Files:

35. BHS

BHS

The Global Fog isn't required but can be attached to the camera. UniStorm will alter the fog color which will then alter the color of the Global Fog.

Strange, we don't get any with our test import. We don't have any external scripts on the camera that UniStorm needs. So you can just remove it.

36. Jaqal

Jaqal

I understand that it uses the global fog but it doesn't allow you to change the height and height density. If you do they change back to zero which makes fog look bad unless your world height is 0. I have many hills in my project so without being able to change the height and height density variables the fog does not look as good...

37. BHS

BHS

It shouldn't, we removed UniStorm controlling the Global Fog variables for this purpose with version 2.0. What version are you using?

38. Jaqal

Jaqal

Thats great to know! I am using the last version so if you changed it I will upgrade now. Thanks for the quick replies.

39. Kinukin

Kinukin

Is it possible to scale the UniStormPrefab to a specific size? Because I'm building a large terrain and when I scale the UniStormPrefab it glitches the camera.

Edit: I fixed this with adjusting the clipping planes

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  40. BHS

BHS

You're welcome.

I was going to suggest increasing the far clipping plane. Glad you figured it out.

41. Jaqal

Jaqal

Do you need Unity5.1 to use Unistorm2.0 or can I keep using Unity 5.0. It's alot of work for me to upgrade.

42. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

I spoke to Unity Support, and they suggested I ask you whether you've decided to add an additional price to UniStorm 2.0. I think you haven't, but I'm not certain so I'll ask. Is there some kind of additional price apart from previously purchasing the asset, that unlocks the "2.0" version?

43. BHS

BHS

You don't don't need Unity 5.1 to have the UniStorm 2.0 update. You only need Unity 5.0.

No, UniStorm 2.0 is a free update. You should just be able to update it. We have tested this on a couple computers and everything works fine on our end.

44. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Alright, thanks.

I just tried deleting it off of my computer and downloading again, but it didn't work. Back to support I suppose...

45. Kinukin

Kinukin

Hey BlackHorizonStudios,

So I scaled the UniStormPrefab to fit my terrain but it seems really glitchy when it's scaled.

I can't see rain, the fog is really weird and the sky just turns grey and you can't see any clouds any more.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  46. BHS

BHS

Sorry to hear you are having issues, but it's nothing on our end. It sounds like the Asset Store itself isn't properly updating your version. I'm sure Unity support will be able to help you out.

When scaling UniStorm, you should only scale the clouds. Everything else can stay where it is.

You can also keep the clouds the default size and have them follow your player's position. This way you don't have to scale them.

47. EDarkness

EDarkness

How do I get Unity to download Unistorm 2.0? It keeps downloading 1.8.4 and I have that installed already. Unless there's a problem where both versions are numbered the same.

48. BHS

BHS

You need to make sure you have Unity 5.0. We are currently working on UniStorm 2.0 for Unity 4 users. If you have Unity 4 and you download UniStorm, it will only update to UniStorm 1.8.4.

49. EDarkness

EDarkness

I'm using Unity 5.0.1. So it should show up, but it doesn't. It keeps taking me to 1.8.4 no matter what I do. The store page shows 2.0, but it only downloads 1.8.4.

50. BHS

BHS

Okay we seem to have found the issue. I think it's really stupid the way Unity does this, but I'll explain.

When Unity 5 came out, Unity decided to have separate version updates (with assets from the Asset Store) for Unity 4 users and Unity 5 users, which was a great idea. Unfortunately, this also goes for individual versions within Unity 5. So, Unity 5.0.0 has UniStorm version 1.8.4, while Unity version 5.0.2 has UniStorm 2.0.

I have no idea why they wouldn't have just kept all Unity 5 updates within the same update.

It's not an issue, really. It just means you must update to at least Unity 5.0.2 to download the version 2.0 update. There are no serious changes between the two, so an update shouldn't be too hard for a project.

We will update this within the next week.