Search Unity

[RELEASED] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. nomax5

nomax5

Hi again its no biggie but its snowing in my cave :( I created a cave mesh put a mesh collider on it I've got shadows enabled on my FPS camera
    I covered the cave in huge rocks which also have mesh colliders but the snow gets through.

Its also raining in my cave and not a snow specific thing.

I'm using Unity Free version 4 (latest) and to complicate matters I'm using UFPS in conjunction with Unistorm Is all going great except the snow in my caves.

As I say its no biggie not a show stopper but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Samsson

Samsson

Still no lightmapping support ?

3. BHS

BHS

That is the solution for the problem you're having so it should have fixed it. Please be sure to read the documentation it will answer any questions or have solutions for any issues you have.

What are the errors you're having? You most likely need to apply the Sun Shafts and Global Fog image effects to your camera, even if you don;t have pro.

Yes, it's very simple. The variable is temperature, you can use this to affect AI or characters with something like the below. You just need to call UniStorm's script in order to get the variable. You can do this a couple different ways, here's one:

Code (csharp):
    2. var uniStormSystem : GameObject;
    4. if (uniStormSystem.GetComponent(UniStormWeatherSystemJS).temperature <= 32)
    5. {
    6.      //It's too cold out change path, waypoint, destination, ect.
    7. }

We're working on it. It'll be out asap.

You need to set up particle colliders with your particle systems. They should be on there if you're using our prefab though.

If you have particle colliders on your particles and you're still having the problem then you need to deactivate them when the player enters the cave. You can do this simply with triggers.

I'll write you a working example:

Entrance, this will turn off the UniStorm particles when your player hits this trigger zone. You need to apply a collider with "IsTrigger" checked and apply this script to it.

Code (csharp):
    2. //Script for entering the cave
    3. var particleSystemRain : GameObject;  //UniStorm Rain particle system goes here
    4. var particleSystemSnow : GameObject;  //UniStorm Snow particle system goes here
    6. function OnTriggerEnter(thing: Collider)
    7. {
    8.   if (thing.tag == "Player"){
    9.        particleSystemRain.active = false;
    10.        particleSystemSnow.active = false;
    11.   }
    12. }
    Exit, this will turn on the UniStorm particles when your player hits this trigger zone. You need to apply a collider with "IsTrigger" checked and apply this script to it.

Code (csharp):
    2. //Script for leaving the cave
    3. var particleSystemRain : GameObject;  //UniStorm Rain particle system goes here
    4. var particleSystemSnow : GameObject;  //UniStorm Snow particle system goes here
    6. function OnTriggerEnter(thing: Collider)
    7. {
    8.   if (thing.tag == "Player"){
    9.        particleSystemRain.active = true;
    10.        particleSystemSnow.active = true;
    11.   }
    12. }
    We're working on it. If not by 1.7 then surely by 1.7.1

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  4. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

Hey BHS can you take a look on your unistorm mobile thread and give an average time for the next updates please?

Is someone had experience using the desktop version on mobile/tablet device that are not old devices? can it run well?

5. nomax5

nomax5

Thanks BHS for yet another excellent solution, I love the trigger idea I could also use the trigger to turn on sound echo's ( when I figure out how to do that lol ) but yeah the trigger is a great idea thank you once again.

I could have a different wind noise inside the cave or additional wind noise might be esier, a random 1 in 10 trip animation all sorts ..

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  6. nomax5

nomax5

Its not very dark at night does anyone have any tip on how to make it really dark at night?

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Go to the light attached to the moon and lower its strength. That will fix your problem with night being to bright :)

8. nomax5

nomax5

ahh thats where it is WeatherSystems - Sun_Moon - WorldAxle - WorldAxle - Moon - MoonLight
    I set it to zero its darker still not as dark as I would like.

Also the moon is not as bright on clear nights (obviously I turned it's light down)
    if the moon is obscured by thick cloud on a stormy night then it's light should be obscured also
    I'm hoping I can change this in code when I come to tweaking around with unistorm, by adjusting the light intensity depending on the weather type.
    I guess the same goes with the sun on cloudy days the light should not be as bright?

Perhaps the Unistorm people will see this as a feature request ?

Thanks Thinker btw.

9. BHS

BHS

You can make it darker at night by adjusting the Night ambient light. This can give you pitch black nights if desired.

Someone has requested this a little while back. It's a good idea and we will see if we can add it to the system.

10. jonathan2015

jonathan2015

Hi,
    I just started with Unistorm and was wondering where I can find more informations/details about how to use the inGameEventExample script (in C#) ?
    I have read the documentation but it still not clear to me, for example to which object should I attach this script ?
    (Sorry for the newbie question ...)

thanks for any help.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  11. Justei

Justei

Hi there, I'm sure this question has been asked quite a bit. But is there any estimate on when 1.7 will be out?

12. md-ford

md-ford

Hi,
    Just a couple of quick questions. I have been waiting for 1.7 before I buy, so as Justei says any eta yet? If no then I assume if I buy 1.6, then 1.7 will be free to download. Seems obvious but I have seen it before where people upgrade a product and want to recharge for it.
    Also is it possible to make a less restrictive day/night cycle, more elliptical than circular? I don't really want 12 hours day 12 hours night. So how could I make lets say a 8 hour night and 16 hour day cycle?
    I also think its quite restrictive that you set the number of hours days and months in a year, is it possible for me to change this within your code. So lets say I could have 10 days for example in a month? I would have though this would have been a user setting and not hard coded.
    A simple box input so we could choose the number of days in a week, weeks in a month etc would be far more flexible.
    Thanks

13. Octo-Games

Octo-Games

I looked at the documentation , reimport image effect several time and it never worked ... always those error messages......

BCE0018: The name "PostEffectsBase" does not denote a valid type ("not found")

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  14. Justei

Justei

I can answer one of those questions for you, in 1.7 they have said that you can set day/night cycles separately. So you can have 10h day, 17 night, or whatever you would want :).

15. md-ford

md-ford

Thanks Justei,
    I was using my own day, night, weather, timing cycle that was quite flexible, But there is no way I could justify putting the amount of work into it, to make it as good as unistorm. This is a quite impressive project. Now we just need some update news. :wink:

16. Justei

Justei

You're welcome!
    I had unistorm bought since a while back, but back when I got it it was quite a mess, much more than it is right now! But then they added a C# version of it, and I gave it a second chance. Still not that happy with it, since it's quite messy. So I'm waiting for 1.7 to finally get me the quality I need to actually fully incorporate it into our product :).

The product is impressive, but it's quite honestly very messy when it comes to the code, and horribly optimized! But from what I have heard 1.7 should be the bomb! :D

17. Velociryx

Velociryx

Hi all! Watched all the vids, and made the purchase...SUPER excited about getting started using this fantastic asset!

I'm not all that experienced with Unity, but I'm a pretty good direction follower ( :) ), so I navigated through the deletion and re-importation of the image effects, as mentioned in the documentation.

After I did that, however, the following message remained (see below). I was reluctant to make any changes TO the script without checking here first, as the error might be known to someone here who has a workaround/fix at the ready!

I've already written to the developers, but figured that for the sake of completeness, it wouldn't hurt to ask the question here as well.

Thanks in advance!

The message in question is:

Assets/Standard Assets/Character Controllers/Sources/Scripts/FPSInputController.js(1,21): BCE0018: The name 'CharacterMotor_UniStorm' does not denote a valid type ('not found'). Did you mean 'UnityEngine.CharacterJoint'?

-=Vel=-

18. BHS

BHS

We're shooting for within a couple weeks.

Hi,

Just remove the _UniStorm character scripts and use Unity's default ones. There's a weird bug where Unity overwrites ours. We're fixing this as of version 1.7.

19. Velociryx

Velociryx

Will do, and many thanks!

20. nomax5

nomax5

It's not snowing in my cave anymore !! it was the particles they were just above my players head so in the cave with me, I simply moved them up 20 foot or so and tah darrr .. I've still getting the snow fog stuff in the cave, I guess they don't have colliders but that's no problem I put a fire in the cave and so its smoke from the fire lol.

Anyways while heading up into the mountains on a stormy November morning ( raining like mad) I suddenly thought this rain would melt this snow ( in real life) a light bulb appeared above my head and I thought "Weather zones" I'm not sure if its a good idea or not but it would be pretty cool if the rain turned to snow at certain altitudes and the wind picked up.

Just an idea I thought I'd pass it on.

21. shwa

shwa

Hi,
    Wondering if anyone has figured out how to get Unistorm to work with the oculus rift?

not certain, but seems the Rift limits the far clipping plane to 1000.

(If they aren't compatible, are other weather systems compatible?)

tx,
    shwa

22. BHS

BHS

Weather Zones are already completed and added to UniStorm 1.7. They are also possible in the current version of UniStorm, they just don't have a fancy editor. If you're interested send us a PM and we'll give you a simple example.

By a far clipping plane of 1000 do you mean a total of 1,000 units or you cannot render past 1,000?

UniStorm can be fully compatible with a far clipping plane of 1,000 total units. You just need to use a different method of rendering the sky. This can be done with using 2 cameras and is covered in the documentation.

Your player camera (Camera 1) will render everything within the limit you want for Camera 1. Your UniStorm camera (Camera 2) will only render UniStorm. So, Camera 2 can have a near clipping plane of 12,000 and far clipping plane of 13,000 making it only rendering 1,000 far clipping plane units. I'm not familiar with Oculus Rift so you will have to let us know how it works.

However, I do know UniStorm has been used in other Oculus Rift projects.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  23. shwa

shwa

"However, I do know UniStorm has been used in other Oculus Rift projects. "

Great.

Tx for the detailed info, BHS.

I'll take a dig at this next week.

If anyone here has been successful with Unistorm and the Rift, please post or pm me.

tx.

24. EDarkness

EDarkness

I have a question.

I'm trying to keep Unistorm running even while a player is in a dungeon. The main reason is that I want time and weather to keep going so that when the player leaves a building or a dungeon everything flows together properly. The thing is, I want to turn off the "sun"/"moon" and the clouds so that the player can't see them, yet I want the system itself to continue as normal because I'd like to use different kinds of lighting in dungeons to simulate it's still sunny outside or it's nighttime, or perhaps it's raining so when the player steps out of the dungeons it's raining.

So my question is how can I do this? Is there a simple way to do this or do I have to rewrite some code to get it to do what I want. At the moment, I simply disable the clouds when the player enters a building, but turning off the ambient light and the "sun" has been troublesome at best.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

25. cmart

cmart

So can anyone confirm or deny that this works with the rift? Looks great, I would love to give it a shot...

At any rate, I think I will wait til 1.7 is available just to keep things tidy, but this package looks quite good! I am keen to try it out, but...

Just throwing this out there, if I buy this, and it doesn't work with the rift, can I get a refund? I am working on a rift-centric project and my budget is tight! :)

It sounds like it works fine, but just in case! ;)

Thanks

26. virror

virror

Yes, it works on the Rift, i use it for my game.
    But, you need to either modify the Rift camera script and allow it to set the far distance properly or have separate cameras for the sky and the rest of the world. The second approach is probably recommended since its never a good idea to use that massing far distance for everything.

27. cmart

cmart

Hmm thanks for the info. I haven't messed with separate cameras with the rift (we are talking 4 cameras at this point, yes?), I'll have to do that.

Your game looks pretty cool btw!

28. nomax5

nomax5

Hello again, I come here each day to see if 1.7 is out - no pressure lol

Lightmaps has anyone got any tips on lightmapping a 2,000 square terrain? which is going to be lit mostly by the sun / moon in unistorm?
    what do I select as the light in the bake etc. I'm getting some strange looking stuff like the shadows on my trees are nice in the day but a bit shadowy at night.

I don't need anything flashy or fantastic looking I'm trying to get something that looks okay regardless of weather and light levels.

29. The403

The403

30. The403

The403

^problem created itself and seems like it fixed itself

31. The403

The403

is there way to increase area of the rain ? if you walk sideways you can notice how the rain is kinda following you

32. LordVe

LordVe

I will ask a rather 'stupid' question. What is the Quickest way to change the direction of dawn/dusk? I need to be able to set them so that my different worlds don't all have a southeast to Northwest DayNight.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  33. nomax5

nomax5

Hey The403,
    I get that too the shadow that is following my character I didn't think it was important enough to bother the unistorm guys with, but seeing as you did I thought I'd chip in.

I think it may be something to do with having fog turned off and lightmaps - something I'm having all sorts of problems with at the moment.
    I have a gut feeling It might be shadow distance.

34. LordVe

LordVe

How about this, how do I Make the Sun Rise in the NorthWest and set in the SouthEast?

35. Paddington_Bear

Paddington_Bear

This asset is one of my favorites, when do you expect to release 1.7? Love the video you made for it by the way.

36. colorcraft

colorcraft

How do you completely disable rain from happening.

37. Eyehawk

Eyehawk

Hi @BHS, after the most recent update, I seem to be getting the following error:

$Clipboard01pic.png

It seems to also happen when I import into a new blank project.

Can you please give me a hint on how to fix it?

38. BHS

BHS

Yes, it's covered in the documentation. It's a Unity bug and it happens when the Image Effects version doesn't match the Unity game engine version. All you need to do is to reimport the Image Effects. Look at the documentation for a guide.

39. Eyehawk

Eyehawk

Great, many thanks for the tip - found it on page 3 of the manual:)

40. fredr92

fredr92

Hi

I really enjoy unistorm ! you have done a very great job ! But i have some questions, if i make a commercial game, is that alright?
    And what camera am i supposed too put in the unistormweathersystem variable slot? I can run and build just fine, but i get a error saying i have to fill out the camera slot. thanks !

41. Dunkelheit

Dunkelheit

Hi,

I have a question.

If I buy this asset the scene from this video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A0zD-CnnpE ) you've done will be available in the pack? This is will be very helpful to see and learn how to custom.

42. EDarkness

EDarkness

I believe this is your primary camera. The package comes with it's own character controller and there's a camera there which has a lot of the necessary scripts attached to it. For my project, I just moved the scripts to my own camera and put that camera into the camera slot for the weather system.

Hope that helps.

43. Antiker90

Antiker90

Hallo, i have 2 Problems :)

The first is, i have all option and Scripts done on my player and playercamera. its all the Same. It works fine. Only one. On the Storm and Raining i see only the splashes on the floor. But not the Rain in the eare. The rain Prefab is correkt there, but i see no rain. I only hear and see the slpashes on the floor. What i have forget ore i must do?
    On your Demo Scenes i see it. So i must have something forgeht :D

The Second one is. When the Player Spawn, what i must do? UniStorm are not working then, What is the trick?

Good new Year :)

44. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

Hi

I am having a problem with lightning.
    I am not able to see lightning forks, or the lighting up of clouds at all (even in the demo). Are those pro only features?

How do I position the directional light for the lightening in relation to my landscape? It seems to be hitting it at a very extreme angle.
    If the terrain is flat, that part of the landscape and any billboard grass etc on that area does not receive light from a lightning strike at all. Meshes do, however. If the landscape is raised, then from a certain direction the landscape and it's billboards do receive light.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  45. Deleted User

Deleted User

I am having the same issue, no lightning forks visible for me; I have Unity pro, so this won´t be the reason.

Any news on Unistorm 1.7?? The "GameObject.active is obsolete. Use GameObject.SetActive()" issue is driving me mad

46. Straylighter

Straylighter

I've had very good luck with UniStorm so far in my project (although I am also having the issue with lightning forks not showing that others directly above are having).

I am wondering if there is any way to control the "wind direction" for the clouds. I am working on a sailing game and the direction of the wind is fairly important, if there is an easy way to adjust which way the clouds "blow" I would like to implement it for immersion's sake. I have found the settings for cloud movement "intensity", but not direction.

47. DocQ

DocQ

Please update this thread on the 1.7 update. It was promised a while ago.

I understand about delay's, but not keeping us up to date on the progress, is unprofessional.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

48. BHS

BHS

You put your main player camera in the camera slot.

You are aloud to use UniStorm according to the terms of use stated within the Asset Store.

Yes. You simply need to tweak the settings to get the effect you're looking for. Everything you saw is possible with UniStorm.

1) Make sure your rain is properly in the middle of your player. Also make sure it's not too high.

2) You will need to find the components needed to make UniStorm run at start. This was discussed a couple pages back. We supplied an example hat you can use.

The lightning bolts are there but they may need to be scaled bigger depending on your scene. You can scale them by adjusting the lightning bolt prefabs. We plan on improving the lightning bolts with 1.7.

The lighting of the clouds will be available with UniStorm 1.7.

You can make the cloud direction opposite by changing the cloud speed to a negative number. If you'd like to be able to control the direction via the editor we can add this to 1.7 as a new feature.

We're working hard on 1.7.

It consists of many new features and rewriting of 1,000's of lines of code. We will try to submit it in 2 parts, 1.7 and 1.75 so it won't take as long.

49. DocQ

DocQ

Thank you for the update. I look forward to the new version.

50. tHe_sTrYnG

tHe_sTrYnG

Hi, just bought the 1.6.4 and amazing, so backtracked the code in order to activate the commented snow piling functionality and got to a point were it points to another unitypackg. Can you guys give me a hint on this cause right now see that the script that does the snow piling is on another pkg, ill try to merge both but wondering if its the correct way... !!!!