Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[70% OFF!] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. BHS

BHS

We're working hard on getting UniStorm 1.6.3 out that will fix the problems some are having, improved editor, improved time tracking, and added strings to convert numbers of days to months and days of the week.

We have improved the time system as you can see below:

The screenshot below is a working rest system similar to Skyrim, this shows what the system is capable of and how you can get any time value and display it in a menu. The time can easily be displayed within the game instead of just within the editor.

$UniStormImprovedTimeTracking.png

Days are now listed as Monday - Sunday
    Dates such as 1st 2nd 3rd 4th all with convertions
    Time has been converted to 12 hour notation (AM PM) instead of 24 hour notation
    Months are now displayed as a string January - December
    Month numbers have been fixed and are now 1-12 instead of 0-11

Other fixes:
    Various system improvements
    Bug fixes

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  2. virror

virror

-1 to AM PM time
    +1 to the rest : )

3. shwa

shwa

Good to hear 1.6.3 is coming along.

I like the ability to change the speed of clouds in each scene, in the editor.

Can we tweak the code so we can have star speed control in each scene as well?
    Meaning, scene 1, stars move slowly, scene 2, we can set things so they move faster.

Or, if this could be added to 1.6.3, i know i'd use it.
    Though it might be something that others don't need.

tx,

shwa

4. Ereous

Ereous

Should just make two methods. GetMilitaryTime(); // 24 hour clock. GetCivilianTime() // 12 hour clock with am | pm

5. Samsson

Samsson

I hope that in this 1.6.3 we will be able to use lighmaps, because it's very important in game developpement.

6. Acelondoner

Acelondoner

Are there any plans on releasing a C# version of UniStorm, BHS?

7. EvansGreen

EvansGreen

Hey! I'm using Unity free.

A simple workaround I found to this problem, which as I already stated has affected all my Unity projects (not only the ones with Unistorm) including the newly created ones, is just changing the terrain shader in the terrain options for the Nature/terrain/diffuse shader that comes with Unity free. That pretty much gets rid of that problem, which by the way only affects the "base" texture, any texture you add on top of that will display correctly.

Disabling dynamic snow and deleting the shaders/scripts didn't work for me :/.

Anyway after doing the terrain shader substitution everything is working fine for now, still some import issues now and then, but reimporting usually solves the problem.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User

quote!

9. EvansGreen

EvansGreen

Quoteception!!

10. BHS

BHS

For those of you who don't like the 12 hour AM PM time, which was highly requested by others, we will create a check box within the editor so you choose whether you want 24 or 12 notations.

I'm will see if we can fit this in.

Yes, we are looking for a solution.

Possibly, we have to finish up the needed updates first. Why would you need UniStorm in C#? I think you can still call JS variables even if you're using C#.

Glad to hear you found a solution.

Now that you say that it makes more sense. I'm sure if you remove all snow shader it will fix the problem. All the shaders hack the original so temporarily take over until they're deleted.

11. virror

virror

Yay!

12. RayWolf

RayWolf

Hi,

I'm waiting for the new release, too.
    I'm having alot problems with the 1.6.2 version importing in my game project or even an empty one, so I stuck at 1.5 for now until issues are solved.

Anyway I like the snow thingy! Please make it work importing right.^^

regards,
    Ray

13. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

It is also missing in the ATS snow package scripts folder.

14. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

I've checked, what comes with the free ats snow package is a ats version V2 script, required is the ats V3 script

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  15. RayWolf

RayWolf

When I start New Project and click in the menue the assets I want in it, I can choose Unistorm there already and everything is importing right. That means, I can see aand play the demo scene. (dont remember if I re-imported the image-effects before starting the demo *sry*).
    When I start New Project and import Unistorm after it its not working right (script missing or so).

So..New project and already choosing there the unistorm package did work (tried it twice). So I will try to add my project-aassets to that new one as the next step. This is a kind of vice-versa-approach to what Im used. But maybe this post does help anyone in here, too.

btw: I really like the snow thingy and cant wait to next version! *yay*

regards,
    Ray

16. Daniel2013

Daniel2013

omfg its only $60!!! yeah no thanks thats 196 in my currency so yeah expensive as hell..

17. RayWolf

RayWolf

Hmm, maybe I am immune to Daniels sarkasm but I by myself could not build this impressive Asset for 60 nor 196 bucks of any currency within any usual project-based timeframe, ehehe. However It seems for me I dont really understand your post but Im pissed of it anyway :D trolling-attempt?

18. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

I'm paying some programmer loads of money for far simpler scripts.

Anyway how's 1.63 coming along? Can't wait to add a sky to my project. :) Also is there a limitation to the size of my world with Unistorm? I would like to have a world measuring roughly 100 km by 100 km.

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

DesertRaven i think that i can answer your question :).
    You can connect it directly to a player so it moves with the player it self making it impossible to go to an edge of it :). So the size of the world should not be a problem at all.

20. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

sounds like a great solution, I'll try it as soon as I get it working in my scene.

ot: I love your signature

21. AgentGruer

AgentGruer

I added unistorm to my project. Everything is working fine, but my terrain is super bright. How can I fix it?
    http://imgur.com/MXh6c3K

22. marcaurelio74

marcaurelio74

Hi,
    I'm trying to make it work this asset without success.
    The snow system doesnt work, i tried to make it work in my project but when i force the snow to start the terrain and grass dont start to became white.
    I tried also the 2 demo scene that came with the asset in a blank project, but also there no snow.
    Any help?
    Thanks

Update
    When i import unistorm in my project the compiler say :
    Assets/UniStorm/Scripts/UniStormWeatherSystem.js(3852,63): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'CustomTerrainScriptAtsV3Snow'.

But the script CustomTerrainScriptAtsV3Snow is correctly inside the plugin folder, what i have to do?
    Thanks

Update 2
    Ok i read the other pages of this thread and it seem that this is a known issue.
    I hope that the next update will resolve all this problem because at this moment this release is not usable at all.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  23. RayWolf

RayWolf

Hi,

I got it to work with these steps:

1. create an empty project with selected UniStorm 1.6 Asset.
    2. manually copy my old project (without any UniStorm Files in it) with the Windows Explorer in the folder from step 1. /not imported by unity itself
    3. right-click 'refresh' the Assets and wait 20mins (depended on project size or amount of asset-files)
    4. nothing because everything is working.

Creating custom packages with own project or empty one with unistorm 1.6 in it...and then importing vice versa didnt helped for me as well. But these Steps above did work nicely.

MfG,
    Ray

24. shwa

shwa

@BHS. A few months ago you mentioned you were going to add shooting stars.
    Any news on that?

thanks,

shwa

25. EvansGreen

EvansGreen

Hey, that's a tricky one, I've been battling with it for a while, to be honest. At the end the best solution is go into the terrain options and change the base terrain texture shader for some enviroment shader. It will probably happen to all of the terrains you create, even in new projects, cause it kinda "hacks" the engine to make the snow shader work, so it might be a bit painful until you fix it.

Again, it just happens on the base texture, and changing it from the terrain options should do.

Good luck!

26. Sortasoft

Sortasoft

UniStorm seems like a great package so far -- really powerful and really easy to integrate with my game. Thanks!

For performance reasons, we currently have the far clipping plane of our main camera significantly less than 15000. Do you see any issues with using a 2nd camera, set to 15000, to render just the clouds?

Thank you!

27. Sinaxxxx

Sinaxxxx

Hey guys, ive found a fix to the atsV3 error. Go into your atsV3 snow folder, and locate the "Missing" Script. Drag that script into your Plugin folder and your good to go!

28. alan-lawrance

alan-lawrance

If I buy 1.6.2, will it cost anything to upgrade to 1.6.3 when it comes out?

It sounds like 1.6.3 will have better documentation, so I definitely want to get that. However, I don't want to pay for the package twice for an incremental update.

29. Deleted User

Deleted User

I hope that the 1.6.3 update will be free, as I bought 1.6.2 and never managed to use it in a reasonable way (it destroyed one project of mine - luckily a test project)

in my view, 1.6.2 is not a finished product. And as I am a Unity noob I don´t want to mess around with workarounds...

30. virror

virror

No updates so far has cost any extra, so this one will probably be free as well.

31. alan-lawrance

alan-lawrance

Just integrated UniStorm today, and I wanted to provide a few tips for people that use UltimateFPSCamera:

1. Set the far clip distance in the FPSCamera to 15000

2. When moving the particle systems (such as RainSystem, Butterflies, etc.) to your camera, do NOT make them children of the camera. Instead make them children of the FPSPlayer. If the camera is the parent, the particles will not fall correctly when you look up/down. If the player is the parent, it works as expected since the player only rotates around the Y axis.

3. When you do move the particle systems to under the FPSPlayer, make sure you set their transforms to something like (0,15,0). The values I saw initially were large values (remember the transform of a child is always relative to the parent).

4. The UltimateFPS code will automatically set all children of FPSPlayer to be on the Player layer. This is bad for the particle systems, since the FPSCamera automatically culls out anything on the Player layer! To fix this, I assigned the particle systems their own tag, and then in the code that sets all children of the FPSPlayer to Player layer, I skip any children with that tag. Perhaps there is a cleaner way to do this.

I hope this saves some people some time/trouble when they integrate UniStorm.

Also, kudos to the Unistorm team. This looks like a great product! One minor suggestion I have is to avoid cluttering the hierarchy with the Rain Splash objects. I fixed this by making them children of the UniStormParent in the scene (so I don't have to see them, unless I want to -- by expanding UniStormParent).

32. alan-lawrance

alan-lawrance

Hi -- could you explain in a bit more detail on how to change the base terrain texture in the terrain options? I think I might have the same issue, and I want to test out your work-around. Thanks in advance.

33. EvansGreen

EvansGreen

Absolutely. First you create a material with the Nature/Terrain/Diffuse, or whatever shader you want the base texture to use. After that, you click the terrain in the hierarchy. You go to terrain options in the inspector (The little gear wheel symbol), and there inside the "base texture" category, locate the Material parameter. Drag the material you created there and you're set.

Feel free to add me to skype if you find any problems, I'll try to help you solve it. My user is esteban.peiro.

Good luck!

34. Sortasoft

Sortasoft

One minor problem I've been having is that the actual assets for the cloud layer materials (and a few of the other materials) get edited each time the game plays. This causes some confusion with version control. Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

35. alan-lawrance

alan-lawrance

EvansGreen -- your steps on how to fix unwanted bump mapping on the terrain worked perfectly. Thank-you!

36. alan-lawrance

alan-lawrance

I have seen this happen to me as well. I assumed it was because I accidentally changed those parameters, but perhaps this is a real problem.

37. BHS

BHS

Thanks EvansGreen and RayWolf for helping out.

There's a solution for the atsV3 error. Make sure the CustomTerrainScriptAtsV3Snow script is attached to the UniStorm SnowSystem like shown below. For some reason Unity doesn't import it properly. We're working on a fix for it but it may just be an Unity import bug.

$UniStormSnow.png

Updates will never cost and will always be free to customers who have already purchased UniStorm. We would never make a customer pay twice.

This is covered above, if that does not work try reimporting the script.

Do you mean when the clouds move on start? This is how Unity alters material movement. I'm not sure there's any other way to do it.

38. alan-lawrance

alan-lawrance

OK, yeah, it does happen each time the game is played. The materials affected for me are:

MorningToMidday.mat
    Cloud Layer 2.mat
    Cloud Layer 3.mat
    Cloud Layer 4.mat
    Could Layer 5.mat
    Cloud Layer 6.mat
    Mostly Cloudy.mat
    CloudNew4Small.mat
    CloudNew4Small2.mat
    Stars.mat

Shouldn't UniStorm be restoring the original values to the material on exit? The way it is now, these files are going to be continually changing each time the game is played. Maybe this doesn't really matter from a visual point of view, but it does make things confusing from a version control point of view (as was pointed out).

39. alan-lawrance

alan-lawrance

Another new user request: Make UniStorm available in C#.

If a customer has their project in C#, it sounds like we have to move all the UniStorm scripts to Plugins, to ensure they are compiled before the C# files. However, UniStorm itself is trying to access C# from JS (which is why CustomTerrainScriptAtsV3Snow is in Plugins). So if I put all the UniStorm
    scripts into Plugins, that breaks the ability for UniStorm to access C# from JS!

The motivation for this is I want to access the time/date from UniStorm, which requires access to a JS class. For C# users, I don't see any way to do this without disrupting how the UniStorm files are arranged. Is there a recommended solution here?

Edit: What I ended up doing was moving UniStorm.js and UniStormWeatherSystem.js to Plugins, and then commenting out the references to CustomTerrainScriptAtsV3Snow inside UniStormWeatherSystem.js. That's OK for me since I don't plan to use the snow accumulation, but this still feels like an ugly work-around.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  40. Sortasoft

Sortasoft

I'll second that. I love Unistorm, but the fact that it's in JS was almost a deadbreaker for us.

41. BHS

BHS

If a C# version of UniStorm is that wanted we will write one. It will be included with the 1.6.3 version of UniStorm.

42. SimtropBuggi

SimtropBuggi

I love this project.

Do you use volumetric clouds? Would it work with an asset that does this?

What controls the melting of snow? If a terrain is in 'winter' and the sun comes out the snow shouldn't melt (or melt veeery slowly). Is there a setting for overall temperature to control this?

Have you tested it with a LOT of objects? I'd like to know the performance on a scene with 1000 'building' like objects all using the snow shader with the camera overhead watching the coverage. :) A video would be... well, that would be awesome.

I'm confined to my XBox at the moment so I am limited on what I am able to view.

43. alan-lawrance

alan-lawrance

I ran across this today, so sharing in case it helps anyone else out:

If you have your own camera, make sure you delete the UniStorm one. I was noticing the draw call count seemed a bit high, and it was because that second camera was rendering things twice!

44. SevenBits

SevenBits

The snow shader is pretty good performance wise if you have a modern PC. I wouldn't worry unless you have Intel graphics or an old card.

45. gekidoslair

gekidoslair

Absolutely need a C# version. Can't really consider it until there is one unfortunately.

46. BHS

BHS

An update to anyone who wants to know about the C# version of UniStorm.

The C# version of UniStorm is successfully running and looks just as good as the JS version. It will be included as an additional script in the 1.6.3 and will have its own demo scene.

We are working hard on getting this update released please if you have anything bugs or errors just post them here or PM them and we will make sure they're fixed with 1.6.3 update.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  47. shwa

shwa

@ BHS: Are shooting stars going to make it into the 1.6.3 release?

thanks.

48. BHS

BHS

I'm not sure because shooting stars aren't entirely practical for all types of games. If enough of the UniStorm community wants the feature than we can make it happen.

49. BHS

BHS

Check out the new UniStorm time lapse demo for UniStorm 1.6.3:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  50. virror

virror