Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[70% OFF!] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. mattis89

mattis89

Leave HDRP... No one cares about developing their assets for it yet, its unstable and totally crap

2. Opp33

Opp33

I don't know why...but i expected exactly this answer...anyone have a valid reason to stop me to go back to standard renderer?:D:D:D

3. mattis89

mattis89

Yeah, you will have alot of problems, render errors, material issues, performance issues, crashes, and alot of unsupported assets... If you are just playing around do whatever, if you are making a real game, go back to standard and save sweat and tears...

4. mattis89

mattis89

and to get assets like vs, and unistorm to work there have to be shader rewrites.

5. Opp33

Opp33

Ok...the only thing you listed that i haven't experimented are crashes...i had all the others...thank you. When i get back home in lunch time, i immediately do this step back!

6. mattis89

mattis89

Im just saying.. I wanted too use the HDRP. But all devs said, wait dude.-

7. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

@BHS This is the guy the can chime in on the deal? Maybe Unistorm 4.0 might have something?

8. btckey

btckey

I use UniStorm 3.0

how can this be done for a multiplayer game ?

I use By Tag (Player Tag, Camera Tag)
    when 1 player is all right i see clouds
    when the second player comes in he doesn't see the clouds

9. Opp33

Opp33

I understand...and...i just switched back, waiting for future usability (i' m checking also lightmaps ar better baked in standard). Thank you again, i got it's better wait before HDRP will take its place!:)

mattis89 likes this.
  10. ZGoodwin

ZGoodwin

@BHS What is the best method to display the time of day, temperature and weather type on the in-game UI? I want this to show next to my minimap like ZBOTW.

11. neshius108

neshius108

Hello!

Is it possible to somehow switch profiles at runtime?
    The goal is to be able to go through different regions of the world with very different settings and using profiles seems the easiest way to go.

I currently can set `m_UniStormProfile` but that won't work on its own. Do I have to go through each setting like in the `UniStormEditor` or is there something already implemented?

Thanks!

EDIT:

Code (CSharp):
    1.     void ApplyWeather(UniStormProfile newUniStormProfile)
    2.     {
    3.         UniStormSystem.Instance.SunColor = UpdateGradient(newUniStormProfile.SunColor, UniStormSystem.Instance.SunColor);
    4.         UniStormSystem.Instance.StormySunColor = UpdateGradient(newUniStormProfile.StormySunColor, UniStormSystem.Instance.StormySunColor);
    5.         UniStormSystem.Instance.MoonColor = UpdateGradient(newUniStormProfile.MoonColor, UniStormSystem.Instance.MoonColor);
    6.         UniStormSystem.Instance.SkyTintColor = UpdateGradient(newUniStormProfile.SkyTintColor, UniStormSystem.Instance.SkyTintColor);
    7.         UniStormSystem.Instance.SkyColor = UpdateGradient(newUniStormProfile.SkyColor, UniStormSystem.Instance.SkyColor);
    8.         UniStormSystem.Instance.AmbientSkyLightColor = UpdateGradient(newUniStormProfile.AmbientSkyLightColor, UniStormSystem.Instance.AmbientSkyLightColor);
    9.         UniStormSystem.Instance.StormyAmbientSkyLightColor = UpdateGradient(newUniStormProfile.StormyAmbientSkyLightColor, UniStormSystem.Instance.StormyAmbientSkyLightColor);
    10.         UniStormSystem.Instance.AmbientEquatorLightColor = UpdateGradient(newUniStormProfile.AmbientEquatorLightColor, UniStormSystem.Instance.AmbientEquatorLightColor);
    11.         UniStormSystem.Instance.StormyAmbientEquatorLightColor = UpdateGradient(newUniStormProfile.StormyAmbientEquatorLightColor, UniStormSystem.Instance.StormyAmbientEquatorLightColor);
    12.         UniStormSystem.Instance.AmbientGroundLightColor = UpdateGradient(newUniStormProfile.AmbientGroundLightColor, UniStormSystem.Instance.AmbientGroundLightColor);
    13.         UniStormSystem.Instance.StormyAmbientGroundLightColor = UpdateGradient(newUniStormProfile.StormyAmbientGroundLightColor, UniStormSystem.Instance.StormyAmbientGroundLightColor);
    14.         UniStormSystem.Instance.StarLightColor = UpdateGradient(newUniStormProfile.StarLightColor, UniStormSystem.Instance.StarLightColor);
    15.         UniStormSystem.Instance.FogColor = UpdateGradient(newUniStormProfile.FogColor, UniStormSystem.Instance.FogColor);
    16.         UniStormSystem.Instance.FogStormyColor = UpdateGradient(newUniStormProfile.FogStormyColor, UniStormSystem.Instance.FogStormyColor);
    17.         UniStormSystem.Instance.CloudLightColor = UpdateGradient(newUniStormProfile.CloudLightColor, UniStormSystem.Instance.CloudLightColor);
    18.         UniStormSystem.Instance.CloudBaseColor = UpdateGradient(newUniStormProfile.CloudBaseColor, UniStormSystem.Instance.CloudBaseColor);
    19.         UniStormSystem.Instance.CloudStormyBaseColor = UpdateGradient(newUniStormProfile.CloudStormyBaseColor, UniStormSystem.Instance.CloudStormyBaseColor);
    20.         UniStormSystem.Instance.SunIntensityCurve = new AnimationCurve(newUniStormProfile.SunIntensityCurve.keys);
    21.         UniStormSystem.Instance.MoonIntensityCurve = new AnimationCurve(newUniStormProfile.MoonIntensityCurve.keys);
    22.         UniStormSystem.Instance.AtmosphereThickness = new AnimationCurve(newUniStormProfile.AtmosphereThickness.keys);
    23.     }
    Would this work properly in runtime?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  12. ZGoodwin

ZGoodwin

What is the best game soundtrack solution for UniStorm? For example when night time occurs the environment soundtrack of the game should adapt. Do we have any known integrations with Master Audio: AAA Sound, or, equivalent soundtrack management assets?

13. Pandur1982

Pandur1982

Any news about the new Update?

14. BHS

BHS

I had originally planned on adding an example for UNET, but it was deprecated. As soon as Unity has their new multiplayer system available, I will add support for it. How I got it to work was each player needs to have their own system. You have 1 player be the host and everyone else who joins be the client. You monitor the changes from the host (the global settings) and send them to the clients when changes happen.

15. BHS

BHS

Use this script and create a UI Canvas along with 2 texts and a raw image. This should give you an example of how to receive the variables and display them with a UI.

DisplayUI.png

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using UnityEngine.UI;
    6. public class UniStormUIDisplay : MonoBehaviour {
    8.     public Text UniStormTime;
    9.     public Text UniStormTemperature;
    10.     public RawImage UniStormWeatherIcon;
    12.     void Update ()
    13.     {
    14.         UniStormTime.text = UniStormSystem.Instance.Hour.ToString() + ":" + UniStormSystem.Instance.Minute.ToString("00");
    15.         UniStormTemperature.text = UniStormSystem.Instance.Temperature.ToString() + "°";
    16.         UniStormWeatherIcon.texture = UniStormSystem.Instance.CurrentWeatherType.WeatherIcon;
    17.     }
    18. }

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    ZGoodwin and neshius108 like this.
  16. BHS

BHS

The weather profiles aren't intended to be applied during runtime. The above might work, but some values, such as the color keys, are generated on start to be modified during storms. These would also need to be modified. I'd have to look into this further to provide you with an example. I will look into making this possible within the next update or two.

17. BHS

BHS

UniStorm has a built-in system for soundtracks or ambient music for each time of day. It even has its own Audio Mixer to control the volume of the music. This can be found under the Sound Options. There are no current integrations for Master Audio, but I can certainly look into adding support for this when I get the chance.

ZGoodwin likes this.
  18. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone,

UniStorm 4.0 is nearly finished and should be submitted by the last week in May. The UniStorm 4.0 update will add AAA procedural volumetric clouds. These clouds perform very well and have had a balance of performance and quality throughout development. The clouds have both a volumetric and a 2D option as well as quality settings to support a wide range of devices and computers.

UniStorm 4.0 no longer requires cameras' Far Clipping Plane to be set to 16,000 and will now work with any Far Clipping Plane value. The UniStorm 4.0 update also adds tons of improvements and features as well as improved balancing to weather transitions.

This video shows a time lapse of UniStorm 4.0 and its new volumetric clouds. This is all done using the included default system and its settings. UniStorm 4.0 only uses 1 cloud dome to drawn its clouds. The cloud height can also be controlled for each weather type allowing for a wide range of cloud types.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Stormy102, Weblox, ElevenGame and 3 others like this.
  19. BHS

BHS

Yes, see my post regarding UniStorm 4.0 above.

Pandur1982 likes this.
  20. Spyderworxs

Spyderworxs

I am having trouble, I think, with the storm part of UniStorm. This is the properties for my "Unistorm System":

Unistorm System.PNG

This is my Player in the Hierarchy with the Effects attached:

Player and Effects.PNG

And this is the Rain Effect in the Inspector, showing that the Emission is being set properly:

Particle System.PNG

My problem above is that the Renderer doesn't get set to on. If I manually set it on, it works as expected. My apologies if I haven't followed an instruction properly. I looked back through this forum but couldn't find any mention. I am using Unity version 2018.4.0f1. This is only happening when setting the "Starting Weather Type". I haven't tried changing the weather, recently, programmatically.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  21. BHS

BHS

The particle effect prefab should have its Renderer enabled by default. Have you tried going to the Rain Particle effect's prefab to ensure its Renderer is enabled before you are in runtime?

22. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone,

It ended up taking a little bit longer putting the finishing touches on the UniStorm 4.0 update. Tons of useful features have been added to the system to help users have more control over additional components such as Shadow Qualities, Shadow Intensities, Shadow Types, and more.

CloudSettings.png
    LightSettings.png

Cloud Shadows
    UniStorm 4.0 will also bring screen space cloud shadows capable of casting real-time cloud shadows based off of the current cloud cover. This can cast shadows on everything such as grass, trees, and terrains as well as distant billboard trees. Cloud shadows come with 3 quality settings and perform quite well.

UniStorm (Update 3) 2019-05-15 10-59-14-645.png
    UniStorm (Update 3) 2019-05-15 11-03-13-826.png

Cloud Profiles
    UniStorm 4.0 also adds customizable cloud profiles that each weather type can use. This allows you to simulate most cloud types and gives tons of variety to every weather type that’s created. Options are even available to simulate stylized cloud.

CloudProfile.png

23. neshius108

neshius108

Hello there!

Is there a way to change the cloud shader? I'd like to add a custom one (something like a toon shader), is it possible?

Also, do you have any update on switching UniStorm profiles at runtime? :)

24. Stormy102

Stormy102

Hey @BHS will the Skybox shader have a HDR sun for which the brightness can be adjusted? I know that UniStorm 2.0 did but that was removed with UniStorm 3.0...

25. BHS

BHS

There currently isn't a way to change the cloud shader, however, you can adjust the clouds' appearance using a Cloud Profile to be more toony or stylized like the below. This exact Cloud Profile is included, but can be adjusted to be even smoother/toony. As for switching profiles during runtime, it is something I plan on adding asap. :)
    Stylized 1.png

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    combatsheep and Rotary-Heart like this.
  26. BHS

BHS

Yes, I've added this back in with UniStorm 4.0 and it can be adjusted right from within the UniStrom Editor.

SunSpotIntensity.png

Stormy102 likes this.
  27. BHS

BHS

UniStorm 4.0 has been submitted and is awaiting approval! This update adds procedural volumetric clouds, cloud shadows, and more. Please See Here for all the new features and info regarding the massive 4.0 update!

Note: Previous versions of UniStorm are not compatible with UniStorm 4.0. Please completely remove UniStorm from your projects and create a backup of your project before updating.

UniStormPromotion.png

JBR-games, Hitch42 and Rotary-Heart like this.
  28. neshius108

neshius108

@BHS Great to hear about the clouds and the 4.0, congrats!

What is the name of the cloud profile btw? :)

29. BHS

BHS

Thanks! The cloud profile is called “Stylized”. Cloud profiles will be available with the 4.0 update.

30. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone!

UniStorm 4.0 has been accepted and is now live! This free update adds procedural volumetric clouds, cloud shadows, and more. Please See Here for all the new features and info regarding the massive 4.0 update!

If you're interested in trying out these new features, try out the UniStorm 4.0 Demo!

Note: Previous versions of UniStorm are not compatible with UniStorm 4.0. Please completely remove UniStorm from your projects and create a backup of your project before updating.

UniStormPromotion.png

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    SickaGames1 likes this.
  31. Astaelan1

Astaelan1

I just wanted to say, I recently bought Enviro exclusively for the beautiful clouds and switched off UniStorm. I've tried other weather systems and including Enviro I'm just not happy, a lot of different usability, performance, or visual glitch issues. Now seeing this update for UniStorm, I had to stop and write a thank you letter.

The only reason I switched off UniStorm was the clouds and shadows fell behind in quality and I always assumed "You buy what the box says" in terms of features and didn't expect this UniStorm update. Now UniStorm really is the best day/night/clouds/weather asset on the store. I've used them all and it just works the best and looks the best now that the clouds are redone volumetric.

Few points for those who might be wondering what sets UniStorm aside from the others:

1) UniStorm has amazing transition from one weather pattern to another, it does not transition fast or jerky like some other assets.
    2) The dynamic lighting from sun and moon especially on dawn/dusk transitions even before volumetric clouds looked amazing, the dynamic color shifting of the sun and moon are beautiful and just no comparison with others.
    3) The effects for rain and snow are AAA, when compared to the other assets you really get a step up on these with UniStorm.

One thing I'm not sure if UniStorm could or can do now is extra orbits, like a second moon or other nearby celestial bodies.

And the only other issue I've had with UniStorm I'm sure I can be fixed, but I never did figure it out. There is a dirty noise map that shows during day and night, and at night it makes it look like there is smoke in the air (but it actually looks bad, I'd rather turn it off if I could, to have a clearer skies). I'm hoping with the new screen space shadows that we also have better screen space fog and that pseudo noise mask will just be removed already in 4.0. Otherwise I'd appreciate information on how to manipulate that layer, I will post a screenshot when I update to 4.0 if the layer is still present.

So, final note, thank you for this update, it will make a real difference for me settling on UniStorm after bouncing around the different options. And thank you for making it a free update and not UniStorm 2019 (yet).

Virtuadreamer and Stormy102 like this.
  32. Stormy102

Stormy102

One of the things I think would make Unistorm *even* better would be realistic stars (as in the north star and the various constellations). Apart from that, its an Asset I've had since the first version and the support that it has had has been outstanding.

neshius108 likes this.
  33. imump

imump

Hey BHS, did the Aquas integration get finished? using Aquas, the fog seems to not show

34. Astaelan1

Astaelan1

@Stormy102 I had a chance to look closer at the stars, and you're right. They could use a little attention like the rest has had. Specific constellations would be interesting, but I'd just be happy to have a little more effect from the stars, some slow fade/blink noise mapped over them might be enough.
    @imump I don't know about official support, but I was just messing with it and here's a shot of a beautiful sunrise over an aquas lake. Take note I did nothing special, and you get the light scatter reflection and cloud reflections.
    As for the issue I was having with the dirty mask, looks like it's gone in 4.0, yay. And here's a screenshot of that beautiful sunrise.

Stormy102 likes this.
  35. BHS

BHS

Thanks so much for the kind feedback! It's nice to know this update has helped improve where UniStorm was previously lacking and that the issues you had have been resolved.

I would like to add extra orbits within the next couple of updates. I think it would be a great feature.

You're welcome for the free update. I have, and never will, charge for updates. It's what UniStorm has been doing for over 7 years. :)

Jaimi and JBR-games like this.
  36. BHS

BHS

I totally agree! This has been something I've been wanting to add, but didn't get around to it in the time of version 4.0's release. I will try to get realistic stars implemented as soon as possible.

Stormy102 and JBR-games like this.
  37. BHS

BHS

Aquas works great, including cloud reflections, however, Aquas takes control of the fog color and density for its underwater effect. The original Aquas integration was removed as I believe it can be handled with an external script. When I get the chance, I will see if I can make one to allow UniStorm to control the fog while Aquas is present, while still allowing it to work for underwater.

38. Alex3333

Alex3333

What about the promised synchronization script for photon 2 ???? I have been waiting for him for so long ......

39. Astaelan1

Astaelan1

@BHS
    Few smaller things have come up during 4.0 testing that I thought I'd feedback on. No critical issues so far, kudos on a clean release.

First, the options for weather change delay only includes hourly and daily. I think it would be good to add 3, 6, and 12 hour options. I realize that you can extend day/night duration, which I did, but by default 1 hour on 4 minute day/night means transitions cannot even finish usually. Realistically weather does can and does frequently change as often as 10 minutes too, like a sudden and short rain or thundershower... Might be nice to have a bit more option in varying the weather changes. Somewhat related, it would be nice to have dry electric storms too as a default weather pattern.

Secondly, there may be a way to do this but I couldn't find it. Currently the rain particle effects appear to get turned off at night, it would be nice to be able to keep these on. The sounds are still there, but you can see in both game and scene view the particles just stop at a certain time.
    Update: Further examination, during thunderstorm it seems to be there, but it is VERY hard to tell the effect is present in low lighting. This is somewhat realistic of course, but it was so hard to notice that I thought it was actually turned off.

Third, there may also be a way to do this I couldn't find. Is it possible to give the moon a volumetric effect through clouds as well? May just need to bump an intensity somewhere that I overlooked.

Fourth, lightning. The old lightning (sprites?) actually looked better to me as I recall. The new lightning is potentially better, but the look is probably the only thing that isn't AAA in UniStorm now. Fairly certain this changed, but I appologize if it didn't. Either way, something is off with it to me, looks too artificial (and doesn't actually strike the ground?). It was tough to capture a screen of this, but I did manage to grab the tail of one... If there is a way to improve this without replacing it, I'd love to hear about it.
    Update: I saw a lightning strike the ground near me, but it's very rare, only seems to happen when the lighting spawns really close to the player... Distant strikes never seem to hit the ground and just terminate midair (more like an electrical storm, but those tend to then strike more horizontally rather than vertically).

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  40. BHS

BHS

Thanks for the all the feedback!

1) Great idea, I will add an option to have a customizable hourly weather update with version 4.1.

2) The rain particle effect has a slider within its material that allows you to adjust how much of the ambient light affects it as well as the overall color. Adjust these values to get it to be more visible at night.

3) Not yet, but I will add it to version 4.1 like what's done with the Sun Settings.

4) I totally agree regarding the lightning. I wanted to improve it with the 4.0 update, but decided to put it in the 4.1 update. I've been working today on redoing UniStorm's lightning and it's already looking much better. The reason the lighting isn't always striking the ground is because it is based off of customizable odds within the UniStorm Editor. However, I am overall redoing a lot of the mechanics to be more consistent and look AAA. This is all done by modifying the already included scripts so it won't be difficult to update to 4.1. I should be able to have a video up showing the new lightning within the next day or two. I'm hoping to have 4.1 finished by the end of the week. On a side note, I am curious as to why your lightning is generating so high. Is this the position where the end point stopped? I have not yet seen this happen on my end.

As for the dry lightning weather type, I will add it to the 4.1 update. Thanks again for all the feedback.

41. BHS

BHS

My apologies for the delay with Photon, but I had to wait for the 4.0 release. I'll try to get an example together as soon as possible.

42. SquadraCorse

SquadraCorse

The new version looks great - are you planning to add support for single pass rendering in VR?

The latest release (4.0.1) makes it a lot better. I'm not getting two renders per eye anymore (yay), but the sky only looks correct in the left eye.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  43. Astaelan1

Astaelan1

Awesome. I really gotta say, giving you feedback is nice, it's not like pulling teeth with some asset devs who push back on everything. Not much to say here except thank you again, looking forward to every one of the future 4.x updates now.

As for why the lightning generates so high, I'm not sure. That's what I was wondering myself, almost every strike looks like it ends in the middle of the sky if it's any distance away. Only the ones that are basically within a few meters of the player end up striking to ground and those are rare. Took me about 40 minutes watching and keeping it on thunderstorm to get a strike near me once, which is fine but in all that time I never saw a distant lighting reach the ground or even close to it.
    It occurred to me just now, and only thing I can think, is that I had to drop my MapMagic terrain (given my graph) in order to get aquas water plane at 0 and have it actually be visible in some areas. This means terrain starts at -50Y, but typically 0Y is just a few meters below my plains, so I don't think that's the reason but it's the only thing I can think that might have some unforseen effect if it expects the whole terrain to be 50 units higher.
    On a side note I may be removing Aquas anyway and switching to procedurally generated via RAM if I can get it to cooperate with MapMagic for capturing output masks from it the way I want, so if that is the issue I can look at moving the terrain back to 0 soon.

44. combatsheep

combatsheep

Hi, BHS.

UniStorm 4 is a great update!:)
    The volumetric cloud is beautiful and the 2d cloud is fast.
    Did you tune to 2d cloud?

By the way, when the scene "UniStorm Mobile Example" runs on Android phone, a lot of black dots appear in the sky for a few seconds at starting (and those are fading out).
    Can I fix it?

Env:
    iMac 2019
    Unity 2018.2.16f
    UniStorm 4.0.1

Android 9/ Helio P60 (like snapdragon 660)

Screenshot_20190522-233313.png

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  45. BHS

BHS

Single pass should work as long an enabled camera is the scene has the Render Clouds command buffer on it. Are the right eye's clouds visible and not updating or are they not visible at all? If there's an issue, I'll get right on having it fixed with the 4.1 update.

46. BHS

BHS

Lightning strikes should be striking a lot more frequently than that, even if they're far away.

Interesting, the lightning position is based directly off of the player's position and shouldn't generate that high, even if your world/terrain height is lower or higher. I have rewrote a decent portion of the lightning system and its calculations as there were a few inconsistencies I noticed. The issue most likely will be resolved with the 4.1 update.

47. Astaelan1

Astaelan1

Fantastic, I'll wait and test the lightning again with 4.1. I'm not in a huge rush, I'm still at least one SpeedTree sale away from finalizing the terrain and environment, so a few weeks at least I'm sure :)

Take some extra time if it means giving the lightning that extra AAAA look too, I've looked all over the asset store and cannot find a lightning I'm really impressed with, a couple are acceptable though. Put UniStorm over the top with the best lightning out there!

Here's a few of my thoughts about lightning from my research and real pictures:

1) Lightning itself is a sharp white spark not unlike static electricity from the old sock rubbing and zapping. The color of it comes from moisture and particulates like dust and pollution, causing it to range visually in it's halo from a blue to a purple in clearer areas, to a darker orange almost brown in higher pollution areas. I've had the pleasure of witnessing like a crimson red lightning during a dust storm that looked absolutely beautiful.

2) Lightning is of course, the passing of electrons between 2 differently charged areas, this is why lightning should always strike something. With exception to electrical storms where lightning will jump from one cloud formation to another of different charge as the path of least resistance passing through the moisture in the clouds themselves with no moisture to travel to ground as a lesser resistant path. Of course I don't mean to have it strike the player frequently, or trees, or any buildings neccessarily, but I feel like terminating lightning in the air at all is actually a rarer event prompted more by a specific type of weather condition (dry electric storms).

3) Lightning forks, a lot. It does this as a matter of physics trying to find the paths of least resistance and having another path concurrently draw the energy away (the main strike vs the forks), in a rare case you will have a double strike hit the ground and this is almost always a fork very close to the ground itself or near to the cloud source itself, often visually indistinguishable from a single strike when near the ground but enough you can see it sometimes.

4) Lightning is very sharp, thin, and chaotic at the same time. Many forks, but every fork is very sharp, every segment is very thin, and the energy does not leave the thin band as the current travels typically through the moisture in the air and jumping from denser pockets of moisture. Because of this it tends to have very straight, sharp segments that suddenly jeer alternative directions. Lightning should not appear thick but rather consistent across the main strike. Another interesting artifact of the physics of it, is that the highest point of resistance is always roughly around the center of the path, which means lightning is typically brighter at the center of the current, but it moves very fast. Our eyes think of it like a single flash, but in actuality the current is travelling and releasing heat and light as it does with time for that light and energy to travel disapate.

Here is a good reference image that I feel really stresses most of these points in a single image.

I also had one last thing I wanted to suggest to make UniStorm unique from the other weather packages. None of them have Aurora's... Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) or Southern Lights (Aurora Australis). Another weather type to be added, for night only :)
    FWIW I'm looking at this asset here to integrate, but... I feel like you could do even better.
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/vfx/particles/environment/northern-lights-pack-86980

neshius108 and Stormy102 like this.
  48. BHS

BHS

Thanks!

What you are seeing is the clouds' temporal reprojection. This allows the clouds to update and share pixels over a series of frames to greatly increase performance. This process initializes on start which is most likely what you are seeing. Without this process, the clouds would not be as performant. It's a popular technique for cloud systems.

combatsheep likes this.
  49. SquadraCorse

SquadraCorse

I did some more testing in VR. I am using UniStorm 4.0.1, Unity 2019.1.3f1, OpenVR (PiMax with Vive wands). Rendering is Deferred Linear and I disabled everything extra on the camera (Post Processing 2, Beautify, CTAA).

Multi-pass works fine.

In single pass, the left eye works, but in the right eye view, the clouds don't match what is seen in the left eye. If I rotate my head left-right, I can see distorted clouds rotating in the opposite direction (in the right eye only). They rotate as I rotate my head but they seem to be rotating around some point in the distance - possibly at 0,0,0.

Here are some quick pics through the lens - the one with more clouds is the right eye. Thanks again for your help.

Unistorm_VR_Deferred_SinglePass_Left_Eye_Correct.jpg Unistorm_VR_Deferred_SinglePass_Right_Eye_Incorrect.jpg

50. neshius108

neshius108

I would SO love this! :O

Stormy102 likes this.