Search Unity

[Released] UModeler X : Model, Rig, Paint and AI-Texture within Unity [Unity VSP]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UModeler, Mar 23, 2017.

1. lclemens

lclemens

I don't know what asset it's conflicting with (or if any of them conflict) - I have a lot more than just Odin installed. I haven't tested with a blank project - only a blank scene. But the error always points to Tripolygon.UModelerX.Editor.UMXApplication.RefreshSelections and something about scene closing or play mode state change.

2. UModeler

UModeler

Does this issue occur even in an empty project that only contains the UModeler X asset? Could you also test it after updating UModeler X to the latest version, 0.17.3 or higher?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
  3. lclemens

lclemens

Yes it still happens with 0.17.3 and that's the highest version it will let me install. I have a lot on my plate right now, so hopefully I will have time to try it with a blank project later. I should mention that I'm using DOTS - so my project is using Entities.Graphics 1.0.16 and all the packages that come with it. And also Unity.Physics 1.0.16. Also I have UnityMeshSimplifier. Here's a screenshot of the packages.

upload_2024-1-29_14-0-41.png

UModeler likes this.
  4. Colin_MacLeod

Colin_MacLeod

@UModeler I'm using UModeler Pro - is there any way to turn off these console messages?

upload_2024-1-31_15-51-37.png

UModeler likes this.
  5. UModeler

UModeler

Hi Colin, we'll make sure that message doesn't show up in the next update!

Mark_01 and Colin_MacLeod like this.
  6. UModeler

UModeler

Thanks for the detailed info. We've been working hard to resolve all the issues related to entering and exiting the play mode. The update is scheduled for next week. I'll keep you posted once the new version is released.

Mark_01 likes this.
  7. Colin_MacLeod

Colin_MacLeod

I can see why the message is useful. An option to disable would be great for me.

UModeler and Mark_01 like this.
  8. UModeler

UModeler

We've address this issue in the latest version that has been released today.
    umodeler-preference.jpg

Mark_01 and Colin_MacLeod like this.
  9. Colin_MacLeod

Colin_MacLeod

Oh, awesome. Thanks!

UModeler likes this.
  10. UModeler

UModeler

Hi Iclemens,
    This issue you reported has been addressed in the latest release of UModeler X, version 0.18.1, available as of today. Could you please verify that the update resolves the issue on your end by checking the latest version of UModeler X?

lclemens and Mark_01 like this.
  11. lclemens

lclemens

Congrats - You fixed it!!!

UModeler, Willbkool_FPCS and Mark_01 like this.
  12. lclemens

lclemens

Can UModeler be used to merge UVs from different assets? For example I bought some assets where they use a single texture for several meshes - for example they have a Tubes texture for all the tube/pipe meshes, a Doors_and_Windows texture for all the windows and doors, a Fences texture for all the fences and walls, etc. This is inefficient because there are lots of materials, draw calls, and individual meshes with transforms. I can use Mesh Baker to combine all these textures into a single atlas and combine parts of the mesh to reduce draw calls and mesh counts, but it either makes a really massive atlas or I have to scale it down to normal dimensions and the quality looks terrible. The problem is because even if I use only one single door or window, it has to include the entire 1024x1024 Doors_And_Windows texture in the atlas which is horribly inefficient.

Here is an example of an atlas that Mesh Baker outputs.
    upload_2024-2-15_14-44-39.png

I know in theory I could go through and remap the UVs for every part by myself with blender or UModelerX, but I think that would take me weeks per model and it would basically take as long as building the models all over from scratch.

I'm wondering if there is a function in UModelerX or some other tool you know about that can make a unique atlas with the combined mesh where all the faces are essentially "projected" into the new atlas and packed efficiently regardless of which texture they originally came from. Sorry if I'm not describing it properly - I'm a dev who is still learning a lot about modeling.

UModeler likes this.
  13. UModeler

UModeler

Hi Iclemens,
    Unfortunately, this is not a feature currently covered by UModeler X. We have considered implementing this feature, but as you know, it would require significant work, so it won't be included in the near future.
    A user recommended an asset similar to MeshBaker called PolyTool, which you can find here: https://markcreator.gumroad.com/l/Polytool. This tool is popular among VRChat users who also use the Unity editor to create their VRChat content, so it may be worth exploring.

14. lclemens

lclemens

Ah okay, thanks for the information. I currently own PolyTool but it uses the same technique as MeshBaker - it creates horribly inefficient and huge texture atlases, which are fine in some circumstances, but when I'm only using one or two meshes that share large textures it creates a ton of wasted texture space - like less than 10% of the atlas is actually used.

If anyone else is having this problem... After some more research I found a Blender plugin called SimpleBake that lets me rebake the texture into something small and optimized. I'm pretty happy with it. Also a friend of mine found a Unity asset called "Paint in Editor" which supposedly supports texture "remapping", though I haven't tried it yet. I'm also considering a Unity asset called "Mesh Extractor" which would let me extract the meshes and create tiny little textures first which would allow MeshBaker to make an atlas that would be more packed and efficient. I also might try blowing away the current textures and seeing if UModelerX's AI texture could make something better.

Willbkool_FPCS and UModeler like this.
  15. lclemens

lclemens

I want to paint on a mesh. I Umoderlerized a mesh. UVs are unwrapped. Then I selected it. Then I selected the Painting 3D tab. But the "Start Painting" button is greyed out. I checked the documentation and tutorial, but didn't see any information about what to do if the "Start Painting" button is disabled. I'm probably doing something wrong, but I'm out of ideas. How can I enable it?

upload_2024-2-23_20-37-21.png

EDIT - I discovered the problem. It was very simple. I have to select the Materials toolbox first.

upload_2024-2-24_12-52-0.png

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
    UModeler likes this.
  16. lclemens

lclemens

Also.... if I put the an object that has Umodelerized meshes in a subscene and press Play - after pressing Stop the UModelerXEditableMesh script components are just gone. All the other components are still there, but the UModeler ones are deleted and there's no way to get them back.

Also, if the mesh is in a subscene, the Umodelerize function fails with:
    InvalidOperationException: 'UModelerXEditableMeshEvents' is not available because it is not initialized.
    Tripolygon.UModelerX.Runtime.UModelerXEditableMeshEvents.Sync (UnityEngine.GameObject[] gameObjects) (at <a6a5adc29d434e778df7d715bf9f77b9>:0)
    Tripolygon.UModelerX.Runtime.UModelerizeUtility.ConvertMeshToUModelerX (System.Boolean mergeSameVertex, Tripolygon.UModelerX.Runtime.UModelerXEditableMesh modelerMesh, UnityEngine.Transform meshTransform) (at <a6a5adc29d434e778df7d715bf9f77b9>:0)
    Tripolygon.UModelerX.Runtime.UModelerizeUtility.Execute (System.Boolean mergeSameVertex, UnityEngine.Transform objectTransform, Tripolygon.UModelerX.Runtime.UModelerXEditableMesh modelerMesh) (at <a6a5adc29d434e778df7d715bf9f77b9>:0)
    Tripolygon.UModelerX.Runtime.UModelerXEditableMesh.UModelerize (UnityEngine.GameObject sourceObject, Tripolygon.UModelerX.Runtime.UModelerizeSettings settings) (at <a6a5adc29d434e778df7d715bf9f77b9>:0)
    Tripolygon.UModelerX.Editor.MenuItems.Tools.UModelerX.UModelerizeMergeVerticesMenu.Invoke () (at <ce5bec60b25242b0a0221ab682eb77f2>:0)
    UnityEditor.GenericMenu:CatchMenu(Object, String[], Int32)

After that happens, the only way I can get UModelerX working again is to restart Unity.

So I guess UmodelerX is not compatible with subscenes?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2024
    UModeler likes this.
  17. UModeler

UModeler

I'm glad to hear that you've found it out!

18. UModeler

UModeler

We have not yet tested UModeler X with the subscene component. We will investigate this issue promptly. Thank you for bringing it to our attention
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.entities@1.0/manual/conversion-subscenes.html

19. lclemens

lclemens

Thanks. I noticed that if I open a prefab there are no options for Umodelerize for any of the meshes within the prefab. Is it not possible to work with a mesh inside a prefab as well?

UModeler likes this.
  20. UModeler

UModeler

Hi Iclemens,
    UModelerize cannot be used in the prefab mode for certain reasons.
    Because in the prefab there are problems with some processes such as undo/redo, so it is not supported at the moment. It might be supported later if the issues are fixed.

21. Colin_MacLeod

Colin_MacLeod

@UModeler Are you aware of this
    NullReferenceException
    issue with UModeler 2.11.5? I'm seeing it constantly with Unity 6b12 beta on Windows (though I believe I saw it intermittently with non-beta Unity).

Disabling "Keeps System Toolbar on always" stops the errors.

UModeler likes this.
  22. Colin_MacLeod

Colin_MacLeod

Seeing it on Mac too. Here's a stack trace:

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. TPUModelerEditor.ToolBar.CacheIcons () (at <44cf8394692643efb920119edbb30524>:0)
    3. TPUModelerEditor.ToolBar.HandleMenu (UnityEngine.Rect rect, TPUModelerEditor.IconMenuPanel+ToolSelectionHandler selectionHandler) (at <44cf8394692643efb920119edbb30524>:0)
    4. TPUModelerEditor.ToolBar.OnGUI () (at <44cf8394692643efb920119edbb30524>:0)
    5. TPUModelerEditor.UModelerEditor.OnScene (UnityEditor.SceneView sceneView) (at <44cf8394692643efb920119edbb30524>:0)
    6. UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at /Users/bokken/build/output/unity/unity/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:4098)
    7. UnityEditor.SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI () (at /Users/bokken/build/output/unity/unity/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:3065)
    8. UnityEditor.SceneView.DoOnGUI () (at /Users/bokken/build/output/unity/unity/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:2667)
    9. UnityEditor.SceneView.OnSceneGUI () (at /Users/bokken/build/output/unity/unity/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:2509)
    10. UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 parentTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Boolean isComputingLayout, UnityEngine.Rect layoutSize, System.Action onGUIHandler, System.Boolean canAffectFocus) (at /Users/bokken/build/output/unity/unity/Modules/UIElements/Core/IMGUIContainer.cs:403)
    11. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&) (at /Users/bokken/build/output/unity/unity/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:219)

UModeler likes this.
  23. UModeler

UModeler

We've not tested UModeler yet on Unity 6. We'll look into it soon. Thanks for reporting it!
    ----
    I've tested UModeler on Unity 6b12 just right before but I've not found any issues which happened to you as show below. Could you share a reproduction steps? or it could disappear when you reimport UModeler in the project window.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
  24. Colin_MacLeod

Colin_MacLeod

Yes, it's strange. I created a fresh blank project just now, and it's fine in that, at least initially. However, I created a blank project yesterday, and the issue was present, so I'm uncertain of the combination of events that cause it.

I'll keep the "Keeps System Toolbar on always" setting turned on for now, and will try to isolate the cause.

UModeler likes this.
  25. Colin_MacLeod

Colin_MacLeod

Hey @UModeler to follow up on this, it looks like a fault on my end.

Before the upgrade to 6, I ran an optimizer (Code Stage Maintainer). I don't recall seeing the issue before the upgrade, and I'd forgotten I'd done this. So, I put it down to the Unity upgrade, but it looks like it's the optimization that's at fault here. If I re-import Umodeler afresh, all is fine.

So, nothing to do on your end. Sorry for the false shout-out!

UModeler and Mark_01 like this.