Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] UModeler X : Model, Rig, Paint and AI-Texture within Unity [Unity VSP]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UModeler, Mar 23, 2017.

1. UModeler

UModeler

Can you try to use the Multi Push/Pull tool with the Individual Pushpull type enabled as shown below?
    UModeler_multipushpull.gif

2. UModeler

UModeler

Can you try this again? because I failed to reproduce this bug. I've created a UModeler object and added a few smoothing groups and made it a prefab. I've placed the new prefab to the scene and checked out smoothing groups. It was as expected and I also made sure that any changes of smoothing groups in a prefab object will be applied well to the other prefab objects after clicking on Apply button. Sometimes some polygons could be missing after applying. In this case you should select Tools/UModeler/Refresh All in the menu to update renderable meshes.

tcmeric likes this.
  3. UModeler

UModeler

I'm thinking about implementing simple version of pulling polygons so that it will be unified to the transform tool like Probuilder.

red2blue, jeromeWork and tcmeric like this.
  4. wolfen231

wolfen231

Yeah actually the "continued" extrusion is kind of irritating haha. Once I stop moving and decide to move again it just extrudes again and sometimes I don't want that.

UModeler and tcmeric like this.
  5. tcmeric

tcmeric

UModeler likes this.
  6. UModeler

UModeler

Really? Extrusion only happens when you drag the mouse whether the Continuous property is enabled or not.

7. UModeler

UModeler

Unfortunately this feature isn't implemented yet. Mind you, it looks good so I've put it into the todo list, too.

tcmeric likes this.
  8. Ganlas

Ganlas

Not sure if I'm missing something, but when I try to pull multiple objects, it doesnt move them all together and by that I mean they go in their own direction. I'd like to move them so they stay the way they start out.

9. UModeler

UModeler

Hello Ganlas,
    They will be pushed or pulled in the same direction if PushPull type in the inspector is Average Normal.

10. Jeremy-Borton

Jeremy-Borton

I'd like to know how well the boolean operations work. I see it working in the video with two simple shapes, but can it work with rocks for instance, to create many unions and subtractions? Till I get a large object by just using unions and subtractions?
    Thanks for helping me understand.

11. UModeler

UModeler

Hi Jeremy

Honestly the boolean tool is not perfect so if you try a stack of boolean operations or apply it to the complicated shapes, it could cause missing or broken polygons. However they can be fixed with the repair tools such as Bridge, Invert and Eraser tools etc in UModeler.

Here is a document of Boolean tool - https://umodeler.github.io/AddGroup/BooleanTool.html

Thank you for the interest in UModeler.
    tripolygon.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  12. Jeremy-Borton

Jeremy-Borton

Thank you for your honest reply. We got the same results when we test added Boolean operations to what we were trying to do (after a few unions or divisions it'd brake...). Looks like you made an impressive modeling tool though! It's not a problem though, we're not making a program for modeling, just testing out various side things. Thanks for your prompt reply, that says a lot.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  13. Razmot

Razmot

Got a new suggestion for you :
    Select isolated faces of same vertex color + select isolated faces of same UV coord.
    That would be super useful to detach existing meshes into their various parts.

UModeler likes this.
  14. UModeler

UModeler

Good suggestion. I'll consider it in the future.

15. UModeler

UModeler

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  16. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Is the source code in the pro version?
    Are there any real tutorials? Not just someone flying through a video quicker than a dart and not explaining nothing. And trying to learn from speedy Gifs is no fun and very frustrating. The docs don't actually show you how to do anything.
    I am surprised after one year, nobody is praising this in YouTube with tutorials.

With more and much better tutorials you would make more sales.
    I am still thinking about buying as it does feel good but there is a long way to go with this asset and I am just worried that after the sales, this asset will become depricated just like many others before. And it's not exactly cheap, even though on Sale.

17. wolfen231

wolfen231

Not yet. I still haven't touched this tool because I haven't seen new ones yet that fit a standard "tutorial" format.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/rel...ping-tool-in-unity.462506/page-6#post-3412642

18. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

So, is the source code in the Pro or not?

19. wolfen231

wolfen231

I am not a 100percent sure, but if you look at the package contents there is a umodeler_raw unity package in there as well. I'm taking a wild guess here and thinking it might be the source.

Looking at it in Unity (the raw package) there is a hell of a lot of .cs scripts in there and a dll or two. Seems like it's the source.

Attached Files:

20. UModeler

UModeler

Hello eagleeyez,
    I put answers to your questions below.
    UModeler doesn't contain source codes in the package basically. However since the release of it, I've got some requests about source codes. So I'm planning to send source codes to a purchaser who has a UModeler invoice which will have to be sent to us via E-mail.
    As for the tutorial videos, I recognize that UModeler's tutorials are not kind because they are just played without any narrations and subscripts. I promise that the first tutorial will be prepared this month. So please stay tuned.
    Don't worry about it. I've not cared about UModeler as much as before for the last two months due to person reasons but I'm going to concentrate on developing it again from now on and UModeler will keep improved.

Thank you for the interest in UModeler.
    tripolygon.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    Mark_01 and neoshaman like this.
  21. UModeler

UModeler

I'm so sorry that the right tutorials are not ready yet. As I mentioned on the upper post, I didn't care about UModeler much recently for person reasons but I'll put top priority on making tutorial videos this time.

wolfen231 likes this.
  22. wolfen231

wolfen231

Really want to enjoy this asset haha. Hope things are better for you on the personal front though. Health (physical and mental) are important. Take care. =)

Mark_01 and UModeler like this.
  23. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Hi and thanks for your reply. I don’t really need the source code, but what I want to do is the following and with source I thought I may get it done.

I want double key combinations, not just one key setup. For example pressing p and then p again would give you push pull or typing b then x would give a box. (See the list below.)

It is divided into syllables. Short are the first 2 letters and long you split into first and second syllables. That way you can very easily remember the key shortcuts. Makes sense? And if you are as quick on the keyboard as I am, then this would make me and others blazing fast.

Of course the key combinations should be configurable, so that others can change it to how they like.

If you say that you can implement dual shortcut combinations. Then I will buy

Can you do this?

Thanks in advance for you reply.

D c =3D Cursor

A l = Align

A r = Arc

B t = Bake Transform

B w = Be - wel

B l = Boo- lean

B o = Box

B r = Bridge

C s = Capsule (Cap – Sule)

C n = Clone (Clo - Ne)

C i = Clip (Cl - ip)

C a = Collapse (Coll - Apse)

C d = Collider (Colli - Der)

C o = Collider Object

C b = Combine (Com – Bine)

C e = Cone

C u = Cut

C y = Cylinder

D e = Detach

D i = Disk

D u = Duplicate

E r = Eraser

E x = Export

F l = Flip

F t = Flat -ten

G o = Game Object

I f = Invert Face

L I = Line

L s = Local Settings

M a = Material

M I = Mir -ror

P l = Para -llel

P c = Pivot to centre

P c = Polygon Color

P p =Push Pull

P m = Push Pull Multi

R t = Rec -tangle

R d = Remove doubles

R o = Room

S a = Select all/none

i = Select increase

I v = Select inverse

I l = Select Isolate

L o = Select Loop

S r = Select Ring

S s = Side Stair

S g = Smoothing Group

S t = Stair

S p = Sphere

T e = Transform Edge

T o = Transform Object

T p = Transform Pivot

T y = Transform Polygon

T s = Transform Snap

T v = Transform Vertex

U v - UV

U e = UV Editor

V c = Vertex Color

UModeler likes this.
  24. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

And take a look at this
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/sceneview-context-menu-script-free.525029/

That would be cool having a context menu directly under the mouse cursor when right clicking.
    or take a look at haste free, that is for the projet, editor and hierarchy but could be cool to have a direct search under the mouse with right click finding all the uModeler options.

UModeler likes this.
  25. Razmot

Razmot

The umodeler binary operations on meshes work perfectly, congratulations !
    I get no errors and super clean meshes, which was not the case with Probuilder and other tools I tried.

If Umodeler had a nice icon based toolbar I would ditch probuilder, but for now I juggle with the two tools at the same time ( I wonder if you could go all the way and actually make uModeler an extension of probuilder !)

It's a bit risky to use the two, sometimes I get errors or even completely lose the unity movement gizmo (I think it's because I remove the Umodeler component and the mesh then stays umodeler's custom subclass of mesh.cs -> maybe you could add a remove button that makes the mesh a standard unity mesh)

When you want to alter the mesh with umodeler you need to remove probuilder like that (or else you lose the mesh ! )
    Code (CSharp):
    1.   [MenuItem("Tools/Remove PB")]
    2.         static void RemovePB()
    3.         {
    4.             var obj = Selection.activeGameObject;
    5.             if (!obj) return;
    6.             pb_Object pb = obj.GetComponent<pb_Object>();
    7.             if (!pb) return;
    8.             pb.dontDestroyMeshOnDelete = true;
    9.             DestroyImmediate(pb);
    10.         }
    If anyone has or wants to do a Umodeler->Probuilder and Probuilder->Umodeler script that would be cool !

26. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

I think; that if anyone wants to do any kind of modelling in Unity, then you are going to have to choose between uModeler and ProBuilder. If uModeler were to up the gain on tutorials I am sure uModeler will pulverize ProBuilder. Don’t forget, I paid for all ProBuilder products and now it’s free.

I will myself make high quality tutorials for uModeler, as soon as I get double shortcuts.

Also Tip, take a look at Surforge. I think these too together would make a really great workflow. It could be later like substance painter and blender all rolled into one Unity asset.

I personally think that it is possible to make all you need in Unity if some developers come together.

Why do big companies make such easy things so difficult to use?

- Because they can!

Mark_01 and coverpage like this.
  27. UModeler

UModeler

Dual key combination for a shortcut sounds good. But there is a flaw of the idea. There are already reserved shortcuts in the editor comprised of one key such as 'W' 'E' 'R' etc. When each of them is typed the editor will response promptly before the second key is pressed so I think some action to change a mode of getting UModeler to receive dual shortcuts should be needed e.g. pressing ENTER key etc.

Actually UModeler already has the similar function. When you press the enter key on the scene or inspector view, Search box in the inspector view will be enabled, which makes you input characters to find tools whose name contains the typed characters. When you press Enter again, the searched tool displayed underneath will be chosen and enabled. See a .gif image below and check out more detailed information here

That is a little bit different from what you suggested but you could use it for faster modeling for now.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    Mark_01 likes this.
  28. lod3

lod3

@UModeler

Something I've always meant to ask, would it be possible to create a Favorites feature that could sit at the top of the tool? This way the most common and repetitive tools would be easy to reach, while the search feature could be used for less common tools.

UModeler likes this.
  29. UModeler

UModeler

This is a cool idea so I've put this in the todo list.

red2blue and Mark_01 like this.
  30. UModeler

UModeler

Thank you. This sounds very good!
    I would also love to make UModeler have fancy icons. I'll start it after dealing with some urgent issues.
    Actually I want UModeler to be a full replacement of probuilder. ;)
    I'll test UModeler with probuilder and deal with all the issues which will be found.

31. UModeler

UModeler

Good suggestion! I'll consider this when the menu system is updated.

32. UModeler

UModeler

Mark_01, Razmot and ScourgeGames like this.
  33. wolfen231

wolfen231

That's really a price that can't be beat for such an asset. (Outside of free haha).

UModeler likes this.
  34. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

UModeler likes this.
  35. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Well, I am glad that I waited up for the 24hour sales and see there uModeler went from 30% to 70% today within the same sale. I suspected that something like this would happen and with some other assets I will wait up until the end of madness and 24hour sales which ends on the 11th May 23:59 PST time. Maybe I get another few great deals, I have lots on my list but cannot get them all.

I look forward to working through uModeler and the other assets.

Will you be able to implement combi shortcuts for uModeler as I mentioned above? That would be fantastic as to be able to work on a model practically without having to use the inspector would be most efficient.

UModeler likes this.
  36. Amon

Amon

Just bought it. 70% off. Bargain.

One problem I've encountered which, as of yet, I haven't thoroughly looked in to, is how slow it is.

I import the package into a fresh unity 2018.1 project and once done the editor and everything I try to do in Unity slows to a crawl.

My setup has: GTX1080 8GB : 32GBDDR4 RAM : OCTACORE AMD Processor : QHD 2560x1440 res LED IPS Monitor

Now, when I say that the unity editor slows to a crawl, I mean it. The longer I leave the uModeller GUI running within the scene window the slower unity gets to respond to mouse and keyboard input.

37. Distant_Temples

Distant_Temples

Nice Asset. I would suggest that you narrate your tutorials. Right now they are painful to watch and learn how your doing stuff. That is not something that is going to make me want to advertise UModeler to anyone in a positive way. Especially to my colleagues.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  38. coverpage

coverpage

May
    Maybe it's a 2018 problem, I don't notice any slowdowns in 2017.x.

39. MostHated

MostHated

Hey there, not trying to be rude but genuinely want to know, with the new tools in 2018.1, is there reason that this asset would still be something worth purchasing? What benefits would this have over the new suite of tools?

savely00 likes this.
  40. rasto61

rasto61

What new suite of tools? Do you mean probuilder?
    UModeler is slightly different in the way it works. Before probuilder was free, I purchased a copy and it was good, but I did not like a few things. I also experienced a few bugs and in the end got a refund. After that I got umodeler, and liked it a lot more. I think that the best way would be to try for yourself. Probuilder is free now and umodeler has a free version. So I suppose try both and see which best fits your workflow.

UModeler, lod3 and savely00 like this.
  41. Autarkis

Autarkis

Has anyone tried to use umodeler and the Unity experimental xR editor? I probably will pick it up today due to the sale anyway :)
    On the probuilder front, I agree with rasto, I found things lacking a year ago when I was evaluating fitting it into my pipeline. Try it out yourself, see how comfortable it feels for you :)

UModeler likes this.
  42. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

I vote for icons in the UModeler editor. That would increase productivity a lot.

UModeler likes this.
  43. rasto61

rasto61

Do you mean the vr editor? I havent really been following that, but I dont think umodeler will work with that out of the box. That would be really cool though.

savely00 likes this.
  44. Amon

Amon

Just thought I'd pop back to say that the issue with the slow and unresponsive unity editor while UModeller us running has been fixed.

I updated my GFX drivers and then rebooted. That's all. I don't know if it was the reboot or the drivers that fixed it or both. It works fast and is unbelievably stable now.

Well worth the purchase price.

UModeler likes this.
  45. Autarkis

Autarkis

Yeah the VR editor, i tend to use xR as a general term nowadays. Well, I'll report back when I get a chance to see if it works together :)

46. Razmot

Razmot

I'm missing something very simple in Umodeler (had to use my hacks to switch to probuidler) : Triangularize a polygon.

My use case is that I did a bool union of 2 shapes, one is a wall and the other is a corridor, the union is really fine but I want to delete the triangles that end up inside the corridor, and it seems umodeler doesn't let me break a polygon into its triangles.

UModeler likes this.
  47. SiBlack

SiBlack

In 2018.1 or 2017.4 demo version, I'm getting the following error spammed when I change the Width, depth or height properties of a primitive shape;

SendMessage cannot be called during Awake, CheckConsistency, or OnValidate
    UnityEngine.MeshFilter:set_mesh(Mesh)
    Tripolygon.UModeler.UModelerContext:FillMeshFilterAndRenderer(MeshFilter, MeshRenderer, Mesh, Material[])
    Tripolygon.UModeler.UModelerContext:CompileModel(Int32)
    Tripolygon.UModeler.BoxTool:RefreshEdMesh()
    Tripolygon.UModeler.BoxTool:OnPropertiesChanged()
    Tripolygon.UModeler.BaseToolProperties:OnValidate()
    Tripolygon.UModeler.RectangleToolProperties:OnValidate()
    Tripolygon.UModeler.BoxToolProperties:OnValidate()
    UnityEditor.SerializedObject:ApplyModifiedProperties()
    Tripolygon.UModeler.EditorUtil:DisplayPropertyFields(Object)
    Tripolygon.UModeler.PropertiesGUI:OnGUI()
    Tripolygon.UModeler.ToolSelectionGUI:OnGUI()
    Tripolygon.UModeler.UModelerEditor:OnInspectorGUI()
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

48. ronny84

ronny84

Hi,
    I'm new to Unity and I'm a quite bit skilled user of sketchup. Making some reseaches I've find out that uModeler is the most similiar modelling asset to sketchup (that, I'm my opinion, is the best user-friendly modelling software on the market) and so I've bought it. I'm trying it and it seems really a good tool!
    There is a function of sketchup that for me is essential for architectural drawing that is the possibility to put in real time the distance of a new transformation. For example if I have to draw a 10.4 mt line in sketchup I click for start the command, choose a direction, write 1,4 and press "enter". I've saw that in uModeler I can control some measure only after the transformation (for example after a pull). It could be extremelly helpful to have the possibility to type it real-time.
    I've also noted that the axis-snap stop to be active when I draw a line from the vertex of an polygon. Is it a bug?
    Hope those notes will help! Great work!

UModeler likes this.
  49. PartyBoat

PartyBoat

So I finally bought UModeler because it was on sale. When testing it out in the free trial everything seemed great. Performance was fine and the tools (like push pull) were working brilliantly! However, now using the new full version and playing with the test scene UModeler comes with I've realized that this tool has some serious performance issues to the point where I think it's a showstopper.

Basically to experience this yourself open the scene under Tripolygon->UModeler->Scenes->DemoScene#1->UModeler_Houses.scene. Then try editing one of the houses. For example, try adding a disk drawing to a surface and then push/pulling it. On the simple models I was creating with the trial this works smoothly, but on a more complex model like the ones in the test scene the performance grinds to a halt and there is a huge amount of lag before any action. In fact it's so bad that I can't control anything even close to accurately, and I'd go so far as to say it's unusable for me on any complex model.

Honestly after the first impression I had with the trial this is a huge disappointment because there is a lot to love here. But for the very high price of $118 I expect a much higher level of polish. I am willing to put up with the poor interface while it is improved, but I can't be productive with the editor running at 5 frames a second and lagging with every action I take. Until these problems get sorted out I'd consider this asset not ready for production. Hopefully the author gets on this because there is a lot of promise in this tool.

P.S. I'm on Unity 2017.4.2f2 LTS, with a fresh project with only UModeler in my asset folder. Default settings, nothing else is interfering, and no error messages. I'm running a GTX 1070, i5-3570k, 16gb ram, SSD, so this is not running on a crappy laptop or something. I use 3D modeling tools all the time and I've never seen anything come close to this bad of an experience in terms of performance.

50. BeautifulRiver

BeautifulRiver

Hi, I just purchased this product. It has 25-29 errors (sometimes more, sometimes less) after I install it. Here is an example:

Assets/Tripolygon/UModeler/Scripts/Editor/Tools/Transform/SelectTool.cs(111,41): error CS0433: The imported type `Tripolygon.UModeler.VertexDict' is defined multiple times

2017.3.1f1 Windows 10
    Can you please help.