Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] UModeler X : Model, Rig, Paint and AI-Texture within Unity [Unity VSP]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UModeler, Mar 23, 2017.

1. ArcherSS

ArcherSS

I may find a bug. Enter UV Tools, select a polygon, then click empty space on Hierarchy to cancel selection of UModeler GameObject, then select UModeler GameObject again, the polygon just selected is disappeared. I need cancel UModeler and select it again to make the polygon come back.

On Mac, Unity 2019.3.0f6, Latest UModuler version.

UModeler likes this.
  2. UModeler

UModeler

Hello ArcherSS
    I have not reproduce the issue regarding polygons disappearing as you mentioned.
    The following .gif image shows what I did to find out the bug. UModeler_selection_with_UVEditor_opened.gif
    Did I miss something?

3. UModeler

UModeler

Hello cranecam,
    Did you modify the Custom Move Snap Size List?
    Could you show me the list as shown below?
    MoveSnapSizeList.PNG

4. UModeler

UModeler

Does it happen frequently? I would like to know reproduction steps because I have not found how to reproduce it.

The following steps are that I did to try

1. Select UModeler object.
    2. Select a few polygons or edges or vertices.
    3. Go to the Object tool and then go back to Polygon/edge/vertex tool to display the UModeler gizmo again.

In this case only UModeler transform gizmo is displayed.

Could you tell me when this situation happens?

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  5. ArcherSS

ArcherSS

Hi, for the first question, I mean the UV tool from surface group, not UV editor

for the second question, I cannot recall how this happened. I have encountered this issue a couple of times, but then at certain moment it becomes normal, and I focused on other things, so I didn't take care of it. But this time, I can't get rid of it. It seems to be the default setting. I have remove and reimport the asset, and it doesn't work.

Attached Files:

6. UModeler

UModeler

How did you disable "UM Layer"? Even though I make "UM_Layer" invisible in Layers combo box at the right top I'm able to see the texture in the UV Editor.
    View attachment 623578
    Currently the material is rendered in the UV Editor view. I also think it would be better for a texture to be rendered only with its color. I'll put this in the todo list.

7. ArcherSS

ArcherSS

I think the second issue is caused by another asset. I just create a empty project and only import UModeler asset, then the problem is gone. But the origin project still have the issue. I recalled that once I haved Installed TransformPro and UModeler both, and the TransformPro inspector are totally overide by UModeler, so I have to remove TransformPro. But this time I cannot finger out which asset is collided with UModeler.

UModeler likes this.
  8. UModeler

UModeler

The first bug has been fixed today so its fix will be included in a couple of days. And we'll try to figure out the double gizmo issue as well. Thank you!

9. Katzelschnurr

Katzelschnurr

I did not mean the viewport settings but the URP Renderer assets. Fort example, you can set the default layers in the ForwardRenderer.asset the UM Layer is listed there and was unchecked but that was maybe a only a problem with my specific project (took some time to find out though :) )

UModeler likes this.
  10. UModeler

UModeler

Preview of UModeler 2.7.13

1. Shortcuts for 3d modeling snapping.
    Shortcuts_for_snap_settings.gif

2. World Grid Snap for UV Editor
    UModeler_UV_WorldGridSnap.gif

3. Shortcuts for UV editor snapping.
    UModeler_UVEditor_Snapping_Shortcuts.gif

4. V Snap for UV Editor
    UModeler_UVEditor_VSnap.gif

And more things are awaiting you!

11. ArcherSS

ArcherSS

Hi, I have a feature for your consideration:). Currently 3D cursor can only snap onto elements, can we select some elements then snap 3D cursor to the center of them? Say I have a mesh with a hole, then I select two faces of the hole at the opposite side, then the 3D cursor can perfectly snap to the center of the hole, much like blender's "cursor to selected elements" feature. Or there is already this feature currently?

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    UModeler likes this.
  12. ArcherSS

ArcherSS

And here is another one:). There is a very handy asset called Deform, which can do procedural deform on a mesh to create very interesting effects like these:

I just think it will be super powerful if these two assets can work together, like creating some base mesh by UModeler, then do some deforms, then come back UModeler to do more modeling operation, and so on. Actually the base Mesh of above example is just created by UModeler. But for now, I can only export UModeler mesh first, then add it to scene to do deform, then UModelerize the deformed mesh to do more process. I tried to apply deform on a UModeler object, although the mesh can be defromed, when UModeler tool actives, it still hold and operate the origin mesh data, like this

and the mesh will break when starting to manipulate the elements. If UModeler can sync the result mesh data from deform, combining procedual and manual manipulate, I think it will double the power of UModeler:). It may be complicated, just for your consideration.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    UModeler likes this.
  13. UModeler

UModeler

I may not understand your question. When you select multiple polygons, the gizmo will show up at the center of them. It means that you don't need to use 3d cursor in this case. I think this might be what you wanted. If this is not what you intended, can you explain it more? with an image would be better ;)

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  14. UModeler

UModeler

the result made by deform asset looks impressive. it would be hard work to make the deformed mesh sync with UModeler, though. I'll look into the deform asset more. Thank you for letting me know about it!

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  15. ArcherSS

ArcherSS

Yes, that's true. But sometime I want to move 3D cursor to this center, to rotate or scale other elements, not the select ones, or make pivot of this Mesh to this center. For these use cases, snap 3D cursor to center of selected elements will be very handy. For example, make pivot of mesh to the center of the hole

Or scale half of hole's faces based on the center

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    UModeler likes this.
  16. UModeler

UModeler

Probably a button called "Move 3D Cursor" could be added in the inspector to Vertex/Edge/Polygon tools below "Move To Cursor" button.
    VertexToolInspector.PNG

17. ArcherSS

ArcherSS

Yes, something like that, and it sounds very reasonable. Cool!:)

UModeler likes this.
  18. majoba

majoba

My uModeler mesh is not showing in play mode when it is instantiated at runtime. I have done the following:

1. Created a uModeler object and made my modifications.
    2. Saved the mesh as an asset.
    3. Added the uModeler object to a prefab.
    4. Assigned the prefab to a GameObject variable in a spawner script.

When the object is spawned, the mesh is not visible. Everything else in my prefab is visible. If I place the uModeler prefab directly in my scene (without spawning it), it is visible in play mode.

I have the very latest version of uModeler installed.

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    UModeler likes this.
  19. UModeler

UModeler

Hello majoba,
    After Instantiating UModeler object at runtime you have to build the UModeler instance as shown below to recreate MeshFilter mesh.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using tripolygon.UModeler;
    3. public class UModelerPrefabInstanciator : MonoBehaviour
    4. {
    5.     public GameObject myPrefab;
    7.     void Start()
    8.     {
    9.         GameObject instance = Instantiate(myPrefab, new Vector3(4.99f, 0, 0), Quaternion.identity);
    10.         var modeler = instance.GetComponent<UModeler>();
    11.         if (modeler != null)
    12.         {
    13.             modeler.BuildEdMesh();
    14.         }
    15.     }
    16. }

20. UModeler

UModeler

UModeler 2.7.14 Preview

1. Focusing on the selected elements by F key.
    UModeler_F_Focus.gif

2. Display of the selected vertices' positions in the scene view.
    UModeler_VertexPosition_Display.gif

3. Move Cursor button to move 3D cursor to the selected elements' pivot position.
    UModeler_MoveCursorButton.gif

4. Pivot/Center toggle button to set a gizmo position in UV Editor.
    UV_Editor_Pivot_Center_pivot_toggle.gif

thelebaron and Rodolfo-Rubens like this.
  21. majoba

majoba

That fixed it. Thanks!

UModeler likes this.
  22. UModeler

UModeler

Very useful introduction video of UModeler. Enjoy!

tcmeric likes this.
  23. UModeler

UModeler

24. UModeler

UModeler

Preview of UModeler 2.7.15

UModeler 2.7.15 unity package has been submitted today so it'll be available soon!

1. Propagating changes of UModeler prefab instance works well.
    UModeler_Reliable_UModeler_Prefab_1.gif

2. Supporting the Prefab Mode
    UModeler_PrefabMode.gif

3. Grid Texture in UV Editor
    UModeler_Grid_Texture_Display.gif

25. UModeler

UModeler

26. Casanuda

Casanuda

Hiya,

Great release. Thanks for the productivity upgrades.

Cas

UModeler likes this.
  27. UModeler

UModeler

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  28. UModeler

UModeler

29. UModeler

UModeler

UModeler 2.7.18 Preview

1. Floating Status Window. It moves by LMB drag and the last location is remembered./
    UModeler_Floating_Status_Window.gif
    2. Invisible option in Local Settings. If it's on, the mesh isn't visible in Play mode. This mesh can be used for collider or trigger etc.
    UModeler_Invisible_option_in_playmode.gif
    3. UModeler with Polybrush. This isn't perfect but works decently well. UModeler mesh can be edited with Polybrush. The changes made by Polybrush are synced with UModeler mesh.
    UModeler_Compatible_with_Polybrush.gif

2.7.18 package has been submitted today. It'll be available in a couple of days.

30. ArcherSS

ArcherSS

Integration with Polybrush is so cool!:D

UModeler likes this.
  31. UModeler

UModeler

tcmeric likes this.
  32. thelebaron

thelebaron

Hi, would it be possible to get an option in preferences to use Shift select additional vert/edge/faces instead of Control? Also I know this is a more major undertaking but are there plans to integrate hotkeys with Unity's semi recent editor Shortcuts tool/window?

UModeler likes this.
  33. thelebaron

thelebaron

UModeler likes this.
  34. UModeler

UModeler

35. UModeler

UModeler

I think this is a very cool feature. Thank you for sharing it. I'm going to look into it to figure out how it is implemented.

36. UModeler

UModeler

Is there any reason to switch the key's role? Holding CTRL for adding selection seems more close to the unity's selection behaviour than holding SHIFT. yeah, Holding Shift in unity also is to add selection but it works slightly differently in the hierarchy.
    Do you mean unity shortcut configuration window - https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityHotkeys.html?
    I'm not sure it will be possible. I'll look into it.

37. thelebaron

thelebaron

I guess I prefer it after having used Maya for so long. Not asking for the default to be switched, but an option to change(or use both?) for selecting more(I see no reason they cant be used interchangeably like Unity currently? :)).

I know the SHIFT & CTRL are different in the hierarchy(same as Maya's hierarchy actually) but UModeler's selection only applies to the sceneview right?

And yeah thats the hotkeys that I was talking about.

UModeler likes this.
  38. UModeler

UModeler

Okay, I'll add this request to the todo list so that Preference could have the option to switch the key for multiple selection.

thelebaron likes this.
  39. Sword_Garden_Studios

Sword_Garden_Studios

The tool has an issue, in Unity 2019.4.2f1 as far as I'm aware, where the editor overlay shows really long series of text that I as a user I'm not supposed to see like <b>whatever</b> that serves to give format and color to the text I'm supposed to see. This issue is quickly solved the first time an UModeler object is added to the scene. This repeats when unity is closed. If an UModeler object is already on the scene when reopening selecting it in hte hierarchy also solves the issue. Just reporting.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    UModeler likes this.
  40. UModeler

UModeler

Hi Skairen_Garons.
    Thank you for reporting the issue.
    Could you put up a screenshot to show the issue here?

Edit - I've been able to check out the issue as below.
    html_tag_issue.png

We'll take care of it asap.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  41. Sword_Garden_Studios

Sword_Garden_Studios

Great to hear it, I would have done it myself my I'm not at home and my internet access is a bit weird at the moment.

UModeler likes this.
  42. UModeler

UModeler

Update_2.7.20.jpg

UModeler 2.7.20 has been released. This update includes the following fixes.

1. PushPull Tool Improvement.
    This happens in 2.7.19 and older versions.
    UModeler_PushPullBugVersion.gif

From 2.7.20 the upper PushPull tool bug has been fixed.
    UModeler_ImprovedPushPull.gif

2. With 2.7.20 you are able to select multiple elements by holding Shift key as well as Ctrl key. The difference is that holding Ctrl isn't allowed for box selection like Unity's object selection.

3. The last bug we fixed in this update is that raw html tags were exposed in the tooltip when UModeler package is loaded in a project. This has been fixed in 2.7.20

Enjoy UModeler!
    Jaesik.

Willbkool_FPCS and thelebaron like this.
  43. UModeler

UModeler

44. Beervangeer

Beervangeer

hi there, when i select a group of edges, for example in this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=223. the pivot stays where I click the edges, but I want it to be in the center of the selected edges.
    The 3d cursor is not on. How can I make the pivot go into the center of my selected edges?

UModeler likes this.
  45. Beervangeer

Beervangeer

For anyone having this problem, you have to set pivot to center and to global. At settings top left in of the screen.

UModeler likes this.
  46. UModeler

UModeler

I'm glad that you seem to resolve the issue!

47. Riskun87

Riskun87

Hi, I've updated UModeler from a version from march/april (I'm sadly not sure anymore which one exactly) to the current 2.7.21. It's now not possible anymore to move a vertex/edge/polygon accurately by entering the distance in the input field by hand. Is this a bug or do I have to do this differently now?

48. UModeler

UModeler

We might not have tested it while UModeler being updated. We'll take care of it asap. Thank you for reporting.

49. UModeler

UModeler

50. UModeler

UModeler