Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] UModeler X : Model, Rig, Paint and AI-Texture within Unity [Unity VSP]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UModeler, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Artomiano

Artomiano

As far as I know, the autor of this asset is (or was) ill or has been busy for some other personal issues. I think he will fix and polish his asset as soon as he can. Yesterday I read the whole (!) forum thread of UModeler an I found that he is really willing to push his asset. So, be patient. I think it will be better next time. I hope so, because I bought it too. :rolleyes:

UModeler likes this.
  2. wolfen231

wolfen231

This to me seems like it could be conflicting with another asset since it says it's defined multiple times.

Did you try installing it in a clean project?

Could potentially narrow down what the conflict is if you are using other assets and importing one at a time in a clean project to see when the errors start showing up.

UModeler likes this.
  3. SkyFire101

SkyFire101

Maybe total stupid question, got almost no knowledge about the 3D Stuff but have to ask before i buy.
    Can this tool be used to make parts of a Model glossy? I got lots of houses done in qubicle and need the windows to be glossy (have another shader??) can umodeler help me doing this inside unity?

4. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Hello, I was going to buy this asset that looks really awesome from the overview video, but regrettably I finally did not buy it because there was no getting started videos, just there are videos how to do specific things, but not videos that explain how UModeler works for a beginner and after buying how to start to work with the many tools available.

Last edited: May 9, 2018
    wolfen231 likes this.
  5. UModeler

UModeler

Hello MostHated,
    I’m sure that it has more powerful features than Probuilder such as easy creation of curved shapes, pushpull tools, bevel tool, sketch based modeling and much more. Check out a video below and I recommand that you’ll use the free trial version which will enable you to try all functions of UModeler.

6. UModeler

UModeler

Adding icons to the menu is one of the top priority. :)

ScourgeGames and red2blue like this.
  7. UModeler

UModeler

Hello Autarkis,
    Unfortunately UModeler is only available on the editor not VR. Thank you for your interest in UModeler.

8. UModeler

UModeler

I’ll add triangulation function in the upcoming update. Until then use the following wordaround.
    At first delete a UModeler component and umodelerize it. Then triangulation will be done.

Razmot likes this.
  9. UModeler

UModeler

Sounds good! Thank you for your purchase.

10. UModeler

UModeler

Sorry that UModeler doesn’t have kind tutorial videos yet. However I’m planning to make getting started videos with narrations this month. I would like to make you want to recommand UModeler to your collegues ;-)

11. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

12. UModeler

UModeler

Hi SiBlack.
    I've found out this spam warning message is displayed every time properties in the inspector changes. It'll be fixed in the upcoming update. If it keeps bothering you, please collapse the warning message till the next update.

13. wolfen231

wolfen231

I clearly have no idea what I am talking about. LOL

14. UModeler

UModeler

Thank you for the interest and purchase. I promise UModeler will be getting better and better :)

15. UModeler

UModeler

I think what you talked about is beyond what UModeler can do. So it would be better to find material authoring/painting tools like Surforge or Shader Painter etc to add glossiness to your meshes.

SkyFire101 likes this.
  16. UModeler

UModeler

Thank you for purchasing UModeler.
    I've tested to reproduce this error on an empty scene and new project in 2017.3.1f1 but any errors have not been caused. Did you import UModeler package in the scene whose project has other packages? If so, could you try on the same condition which I did? Or it seems like UModeler free trial was already imported in your project from the error message. If so, import UModeler again after clear the Assets/Tripolygon folder.

17. UModeler

UModeler

Hello PartyBoat. Thank you for buying UModeler.
    If the trial version works well, the paid version should also works with no problems. But it doesn't in your case.
    Amon also seemed to face the same problem according to his post below. He solved this issue by updating graphics driver and rebooting windows. Can you try as he did?

18. skipadu

skipadu

I did buy the asset recently and cannot find an option to export the "UV-map outlines" so that I can paint it with Gimp/Photoshop or similar editor.

What I mean is that when unwrapping the UV it would be nice to export it out so I could make the texture(/material) based on that. ( After it is painted, then importing it back to Unity like a normal image and using it as material.)

This would make this asset even more helpful, because I'm creating models with it but I do not have ready-made materials for them.

Is this feature already somewhere or is it planned for the future? If planned, any estimation when it does come?

19. UModeler

UModeler

Hello skipadu. Thank you for the purchase. I've also noted that this feature is necessary so I've already started to implement it. I'm sure that this feature will be included in the upcoming update which will come out this month.

red2blue and skipadu like this.
  20. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

I also use 2017.3.1f1 Windows 10 (always up-to-date)
    and I have had no errors and the asset is running fine. I do however update my graphic drivers as soon as newer are available. I also use a completely new project just for this and surforge. I use a GTX 970, Intel 2700k, 32GB and a 512SSD. all is on the SSD and not on external drives.
    puzzeling why some have problems!!

UModeler likes this.
  21. UModeler

UModeler

Hello ronny84,
    How does sketchup choose a direction without any transformation? Actually I don't understand how it works in sketchup. Can you let me know about a video or a document about it?
    UModeler_AxisSnap.gif
    I've tested axis snap out using line tool and I didn't find any problems in there. See the upper .gif image.
    Thank you!

22. UModeler

UModeler

That's too bad. But fortunately 30% off sale is ongoing and I'm sure that UModeler is much more worth than the price.

23. Razmot

Razmot

More widely useful stuff I would like :
    1. an option to discard UV channels / Vertex Colors / Tangents / maybe even normals (in this case, recalculate normals from a menu or automatically on each mesh changes)
    2. A mesh simplifier like this one http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/Mesh_simplification_(for_MeshCollider,_lossless)
      • I want to be able to simplify a selected polygon or a selected set of polygons
      • The simplifier must take into account if UV/Normals/Tangents are in use - especially for UV-less use cases
    3. A "Quad-ifier" that tries to makes quads from the selected polygons (for simple cases like coplanar triangles of same area) - you probably already have coded it, it's probably just a matter of exposing it as a tool that applies on selection.
    4. A "fill holes" tool like probuilder
    5. Mesh debugging tools ( in the umodeler menu to not clutter the UI)
      • A non destructive analyzer : highlight / log potential problems, do not auto fix.
        • If possible, the analyzer will use the unity console and Debug.Warn where clicking the log line would highlight the bad vertex / edge / polygon - then in most case all we need to do is press delete or detach !
        • Things to look for :
          • T-junctions
          • Triangles that only differ by normals
          • Edges that connect to nothing
          • Degenerate triangles
      • Fix actions:
        • Remove all degenerate triangles
        • reorder indices on selected triangle (to fix the winding order, sometimes we flip a face normal but the indices are wrong, optimization algorithms and CSG work better if the indices are consistent)
    And it would be cool if you could expose the API, just review your code comments, generate the doc in html, link these doc pages on the store, we get a documented api even if not stable, and you get to show off your code quality and get more sales !

Lastly, please try to move the high level code that doesn't require the editor into UmodelerCommon, or create a new UmodelerRuntime namespace - even if you don't expose the api yet it would be super interesting.
    Simplest example: EditorUtil.ConvertMesh . I may want to convert 2 meshes in game and do a combine + weld - or even if I'm really crazy a binary union ;)

Thanks again for this great tool ! Btw IMHO your doc with the gifs is awesome and largely enough to master the tool.

UModeler and wolfen231 like this.
  24. ronny84

ronny84

Thank you for your fast response!
    I've made a gif of what I mean, I hope it is more clear that words (sorry it's in italian but I think is quite comprensible). As you can see in sketchup you can start a trasformation, decide a direction moving the mouse (for example snap to an axis in this case but it can be free) and then not click for end the trasformation but type a measure and then press enter (see in the lower right corner of the gif). Numbers are pressed on fly without selecting the input box.. otherwise I'll loose the direction control!
    This is extremelly useful when you have to be fast and precise!

sketchup trial.gif

If you are curious you can try the free version from Trimble site. Is unlimited and browser based!

For the other topic, that's strange.. I will post a gif of the issues (now I'm at work and don't have unity installed).

UModeler likes this.
  25. BeautifulRiver

BeautifulRiver

Hi @wolfen231 @UModeler

Thanks for the response, I reinstalled from an empty project folder. There is no error right after installation.
    There is the package 'IModler_Raw.unitypackage' inside Tripolygon. When I click it, an import dialog popped up. When I import it, it will show 25 errors as before.

This is just like before: install from empty project, no error. Then click the package and import again, then 25 errors.

May be I should not click that package?

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  26. MostHated

MostHated

I do appreciate the reply. Unfortunately, it was a tad late with the sale being over, I will just stick with what is working for me now. Thanks!

UModeler likes this.
  27. rsr137

rsr137

I just missed the %70 discount because of timezone, will there be any discount soon ?

28. neXib

neXib

I'm probably a bit slow, and still "new" to Unity. But the getting started isn't really starting at the first starting point, I had no idea how I actually used the plugin, as in make a new gameobject and give it the script. I just finally figured it out by browsing through the example scene. Getting started should be obvious even for doofuses like me. Anyways, looking forward to playing with it now :)

29. PartyBoat

PartyBoat

That's one of the first things I tried. Still experiencing the same problems.

Is nobody else experiencing really poor performance when editing the houses in the test scene?

30. SiBlack

SiBlack

Yeah, don't import this package. This is the source c# scripts which are otherwise contained in a DLL, and only for those who like to have a source repository for their bought assets. You effectively have two copies of each script and hence the errors. Leave that package alone.

Umodeler, thanks for the response. I ended up buying anyway :)
    You should be aware that the demo version not only spams errors, but when you try to type in a value the whole inspector freaks out and loses the value dialog boxes. Makes your plugin look very buggy.

Other than that what a fab modeler! Very easy to use.

UModeler and ScourgeGames like this.
  31. MostHated

MostHated

Probably next year if there is another sale.

32. UModeler

UModeler

The unitypackage file was included by mistake, which will be removed in the next update.

33. UModeler

UModeler

I'm sorry to hear that. The chance of 70% discount was given by Unity so I'm not sure when it'll be possible again. As said in the upper post, 30% off is still ongoing and I can say that UModeler will be much more worth than the current price.

34. UModeler

UModeler

I've realized that a Getting Started manual or video should be made as soon as possible. At first a document for a novice will come to you soon. Thank you for purchasing UModeler ;)

35. BeautifulRiver

BeautifulRiver

UModeler likes this.
  36. UModeler

UModeler

The package should be removed. It was there by mistake. The next version won't have it.
    I've not found this bug. How can I reproduce it? Can you describe it in detail?
    Thank you! ;)

37. Razmot

Razmot

One little thing that I'm missing from probuilder : set pivot to center of selection , either polygon(s) or vertice(s).

And I find it annoying that when I do a combine I have to click again on the polygon button to select some other faces to do another combine, I d like be able to stay in polygon mode. it's even worse when I need to flatten before combine :
    Combine, failed (need to flatten), click on polygon mode, flatten, click on polygon mode again, combine ! But it's not a big issue, I should use keyboard shortcuts :)

38. SiBlack

SiBlack

Sure, pretty straight forward;
    Install demo version of Umodeler into empty project.
    Tools/Umodeler/Create to make an empty Umodeler object.
    Select Box and drag out rough proportions in viewport around origin.
    Left click in viewport to set box.
    Left click on Width, Depth or Height numerical input and press any number key on top of keyboard (Not tried numberpad)..
    Immediately upon key press the inspector window will refresh, the box will be unselected (the properties dialogs disappear) and can no longer be edited by property value. The single digit value entered will have been applied to the box. The error I previously mentioned will show in the console.

This occured in Unity 2018.1 and in Unity 2017.4 (Which I reinstalled just to check this functionality)

Basically I was trying to follow your first pillar tutorial but couldn't complete step one; making the pillar base by dragging out a box, then entering specific values into the three property values.

It's functional in your release build (I.E. you can enter all three values) but the error is still spammed to the console whenever you enter a numerical value for any function.

Another annoying error in the latest release version; If the UV viewport is open when you create a new empty Umodeler object, a critical error will spam every frame in the console complaining about no UVs present because there isn't yet a mesh in the Umodeler.

And finally a question: If I have two Umdodeler meshes in seperate objects (for ease of modelling) how can I combine them without doing a boolean? I did try to boolean them but got a critical error about object not being an instance blah blah. I ended up having to export them as seperate OBJs and combine in Modo.

Hope this helps :)

UModeler likes this.
  39. UModeler

UModeler

I love your feedback. I think especially the idea of mesh debugging tools will help you a lot to create a clean mesh.
    Good idea. I'll apply this to PivotToCenter tool.
    This is a bug. Polygon mode should be kept after using combine tool or flatten tool. This has to be fixed soon.

Thank you very much for your feedback and interest.

Razmot likes this.
  40. UModeler

UModeler

Thank you for your detailed description. A size editor box in the inspector automatically should be focused after transforming so that it can receive a number input. I agree that it will make modeling easier and faster.

41. UModeler

UModeler

These errors have to be fixed as soon as possible.Please collapse the warning msg in the console which will maybe make you less annoyed till the next update is released.
    Combine tool can merge the selected UModeler objects into one. And union boolean operation does the same thing if the selected objects are separated. When I tried boolean operation, I didn't get the error message you mentioned. Can you copy and paste it?

Thank you for your feedback and question.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  42. SiBlack

SiBlack

This is the error I get when attempting Boolean;

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Tripolygon.UModeler.PolygonResources.Contains (Tripolygon.UModeler.SimplePolygon polygon)
    Tripolygon.UModeler.PolygonResources.AddPolygon (Tripolygon.UModeler.SimplePolygon polygon)
    Tripolygon.UModeler.PolygonResources.Clone ()
    Tripolygon.UModeler.SmoothingGroup.Clone ()
    Tripolygon.UModeler.SmoothingGroupManager.Clone ()
    Tripolygon.UModeler.EditableMesh.Clone ()
    Tripolygon.UModeler.BooleanTool.BooleanUnion (Tripolygon.UModeler.UModeler base_modeler, Tripolygon.UModeler.UModeler modeler)
    Tripolygon.UModeler.ObjectCombinerTemplate.Combine (Tripolygon.UModeler.Combiner combiner)
    Tripolygon.UModeler.BooleanTool.BooleanOperation (Tripolygon.UModeler.Combiner combiner, System.String undo_msg)
    Tripolygon.UModeler.BooleanTool.OnInspectorGUI (Boolean display)
    Tripolygon.UModeler.PropertiesGUI.OnGUI ()
    Tripolygon.UModeler.ToolSelectionGUI.OnGUI ()
    Tripolygon.UModeler.UModelerEditor.OnInspectorGUI ()
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor[] editors, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1295)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

I assume that I've done some weird combo of things during creation that's messed up something in the object as Boolean works on a couple of simple boxes.
    A few times, for reasons I can't pin down, the inspector will lose all the transform options (Edge, Polygon etc.) when I'm executing a Bevel or Push Pull action.
    I have to close the Umodeler script, click off and on the object and reopen umodeler script to get them back.
    I might be left clicking or pressing enter when the cursor is in the viewport but not over the object instead of pressing spacebar to end the action but I'm not sure.

Combine did exactly what I wanted. Thanks.

UModeler likes this.
  43. Razmot

Razmot

Oh, and I want to edit a vertex local position with the inspector - even better, multi-edit vertices positions of all selected vertices at once. To align stuff quickly or quickly or fix some crappy float values !

UModeler likes this.
  44. BeautifulRiver

BeautifulRiver

@UModeler

Thanks for the great tool. I am wondering if you will enhance UModler to make it possible to do some procedural modeling. I am thinking including some kind of node-diagrams/macros/scripts/API that can be used to automate creation of geometric shapes.

The stair tool can be the first example of such ambitious approach.

Additional benefit: users of the UModeler can share their codes and thus creating more excitement in the UModeler community. For example, members of UModeler community can contribute codes to model common architectural structure, furniture, etc.

Developing such tool is obviously a major effort. I am wondering if developing such tool is something that you would consider later.

45. Razmot

Razmot

It already exists and is called archimatix : https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/modeling/archimatix-pro-59733

46. BeautifulRiver

BeautifulRiver

@Razmot
    Thanks for the info. Archimatix looks impressive, and probably targets different group of customers. I still hope UModler would consider implementing some basic tools to fascinate some procedural modeling. ;)

47. faduci

faduci

TL;DR: Yay ProBuilder model conversion, please provide source code not only by mail

Release notes # Ver 2.0.9
    - Enhancement : UModelerizing probuilder mesh. After converting, probuilder specific components are removed.

As someone who recently bought UModeler after using the ProCore suite for several years I really appreciate this option. I haven't tested it yet and am not sure whether I should use this in running projects, but if I make a full switch, this might make the process less painful.

One thing that almost stopped me from purchasing UModeler in the first place was the lack of source code. Even though I rarely need it, access to it occasionally helps when running into bugs, needing specific changes or simply understanding what an asset actually does. I have also accumulated a significant number of deprecated assets. For some support was dropped weeks after I purchased them, for others after years, and in some cases the developer had very understandable reasons why s/he couldn't support it any longer. For a few that came without source it was provided once the support ended, while others simply became unusable in newer Unity releases. No doubt this will happen again with other assets.

This makes me reluctant to make a tool an important part of my workflow if I'm basically screwed should the developer accidentally get hit by a bus. An integrated modeler is rather critical, it can of course be replaced, but depending on the project this may take a lot of effort. I have a lot of ProBuilder models in my projects, and the ProCore bundle including the source code was deprecated recently. This is part of the reason why I'm happy about the new conversion option in UModeler 2.0.9. As Unity bought ProCore I'm pretty sure that support for ProBuilder and ProGrids will continue, but I'll probably have to stop using ProGroups, and AFAIK the ProBuilder source code will no longer available.

I still bought UModeler after I read this thread and found "So I'm planning to send source codes to a purchaser who has a UModeler invoice which will have to be sent to us via E-mail." I was very pleased to actually find the source code in the UModeler_Raw.unitypackage in 2.0.8, which unfortunately is no longer part of the 2.0.9 release. You probably have reasons to not/no longer include the source, instead offering it by mail. But this requires those who need the source either to hassle you for each new release, get out of sync with the current version or simply hope that the source will be somehow available once they really need it. The protoolsforunity3d website had a section where registered users (with prove of purchase) could download source/beta versions etc., which was less trouble for them and their customers. If including the source in the packageisn't an option, maybe something similar would be an option for UModeler.

A little background: I have freelanced in clinical research, where by contract I not only had to deliver risk assessments for possible development problems plus solutions for each, access to the fully documented source, an always up to date project plan and technical documentation, but also the phone number of another company that could take over my parts if I ever got hit by a bus or couldn't provide support within a few weeks. Nothing serious went wrong, but it was a good training in "prepare for the the worst case."

UModeler and Razmot like this.
  48. RoTru

RoTru

Hi! I'm running into an issue where sometimes the object becomes unstable. It looks like it's related to collider mesh not updating.

With simple push pull or multi push/pull the collider you can see here the mesh collider has not updated. This causes instability with the object like faces disspearing on play mode and the collider stops working. I've started many multiple fresh objects and this keeps happening. I just download 2018.1

Besides this I'm loving the asset!!

Thank you!

Attached Files:

UModeler likes this.
  49. ScourgeGames

ScourgeGames

Oh wow, a new update. I will likely email you for source because I'm plopping my own icons into the editor buttons temporarily to speed up my workflow.

50. UModeler

UModeler

Hello guys,

2.0.9 has been released. The changes are as follows. (Here is the release note page.)
    • Feature : Added “Triangulate” in the menu
    • Enhancement : Inset tool - Enabling an inset from a hole.
    • Enhancement : UModelerizing probuilder mesh. After converting, probuilder specific components are removed.
    • BugFix : Keeping Polygon mode after using Combine tool or Flatten tool.
    • BugFix : Spammed warning messages displayed while typing numbers in the inspector after transfoming/extruding.
    I'll put answers to the upper questions soon. Thank you for your interest in UModeler.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    wolfen231, Razmot and ScourgeGames like this.