Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] UModeler X : Model, Rig, Paint and AI-Texture within Unity [Unity VSP]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UModeler, Mar 23, 2017.

1. UModeler

UModeler

2. UModeler

UModeler

UModeler logo and cover image has been made for better promotion.

small_small_logo_white_background.jpg
    UModeler_unityassetstore_516x389.png

Now I'm making some videos and it won't take long time.

Stay tuned!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    coverpage likes this.
  3. coverpage

coverpage

Yes it's better.. the icon before wasn't clear. Maybe a less grunge look, a stronger icon is better. It's harder to read this logo when it's small.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  4. UModeler

UModeler

This is a video showcasing how a sword is modeled using UModeler within Unity3D along with Line & Arc drawing, Mirror And PushPull tools.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    coverpage likes this.
  5. coverpage

coverpage

When would you be releasing this new version?

6. UModeler

UModeler

After probably 3-4 videos are made so I think 2.0 package will be submitted to unity in a couple of weeks.

7. TheUpturnedSheep

TheUpturnedSheep

Really looking forward to 2.0. How can I sign up to be notified when it's available?

8. UModeler

UModeler

If you send your e-mail to contact.support@tripolygon.com, I'll let you know as it's released.

Thank your for being interested in UModeler.

9. UModeler

UModeler

Here is a video showcasing how modeling a pillar with texturing mapping are done.

UModeler 2.0 Coming soon!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    Frednaar likes this.
  10. UModeler

UModeler

You can see that the texture mapped mesh is cut and its middle UVs are interpolated well so that causing broken UVs can be avoided.

Applying beveling edges around gravestone to make it smooth is also functional as expected.

UModeler 2.0 is almost done. I've been making demo videos these days.

Enjoy UModeler.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    coverpage and rasto61 like this.
  11. UModeler

UModeler

All of these objects below are modeled using only UModeler. Now Texture mapping and video recording is in progress. The final result will come out soon.

BTW it looks like Venezia

Stay tuned.

UModelerIsland_small.jpg

Stardog, coverpage and zenGarden like this.
  12. zenGarden

zenGarden

What about :
    - UV seams marking and UV Unwrap functionnality to speed up unwraping for objects using one material only.
    - Object arrays to duplicate objects along a line, a circle or a spline.

Anyway nice progress, it has lot of potential, keep up the good work :)

UModeler and Zoey_O like this.
  13. UModeler

UModeler

Good point.

Implementing Object arrays has started. Placing a group of polygons along line will be in the next version. It isn't complete yet though.

UV seam marking will be investigated after 2.0 release.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    zenGarden likes this.
  14. RoyArtorius

RoyArtorius

I have to say I'm very interested in this asset from what I've seen. Looks like an incredible addition to Unity. My only real question is will there a change in price when Version 2 comes out? Like will it be as a separate package or require an upgrade fee?

15. UModeler

UModeler

Hi Zack,

Don't care about it. UModeler 2 will come to everyone who already purchased UModeler with no fee :)
    So if you buy it now, you'll have 2.0 sooner or later.

Thank you.
    UModeler.

Frednaar, guitargod and coverpage like this.
  16. UModeler

UModeler

sm_UM_Screen08_wb.png
    sm_UM_Screen08.png

Mapping textures onto the meshes makes feel completely different. All of these objects were modeled using only UModeler within Unity. The videos of showcasing how they are crafted were recorded so that they will come out soon along with the release of UModeler 2.0

Stay tuned.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  17. coverpage

coverpage

Amazing. Well done.

UModeler likes this.
  18. RoyArtorius

RoyArtorius

I don't suppose you have an ETA for when update 2.0 will be released? I can't wait!

19. lod3

lod3

@UModeler

Are there any shortcuts for shifting X and Y UVs?

20. UModeler

UModeler

not sure yet when it will be released exactly. I'll let you know here as it's submitted to asset store.

There is a shortcut to enter UV tool where you can shift X and Y of UVs but you can't change UVs directly via shortcuts.

sm_facebook.jpg

21. coverpage

coverpage

When will you release the tutorial on the village. I'm keen to see how you created all that from umodeler.

22. lod3

lod3

Then how do you feel about adding 4 new shortcut options that can be assigned?

Surface\UV\Shift Y+
    Surface\UV\Shift Y-
    Surface\UV\Shift X+
    Surface\UV\Shift X-

The idea is mapping the Up(Y+), Down(Y-), Left(X-), and Right(X+) arrow keys using the CTRL modifier that suppresses scene camera movement when using the arrow keys.

With a high resolution monitor, fiddling with numbers ad nauseam instead of a direct feedback method makes adjusting UVs for pixel-perfect alignment so painful I have to export and do my UVs in Maya.

These 4 simple shortcut options would accelerate the process dramatically, and is based on the best texturing editor ever made, Radiant, used to make every Call of Duty, not to mention all Id Software games, including the latest DOOM and Wolfenstein releases. Without it, every surface in these games would need to be textured by the artists in a 3D app to save time.

As for how much movement per key press or press-hold, I did a lot of testing and I never encountered anything requiring more than 3 decimal points. A single key press could move 0.001, where press-hold would travel from 0.000 to 0.01 each second the key is held. The latter would be good to get as close as possible as quickly as possible, where the key presses allow the fine tuning.

Another solution, which may or may not be as much work, is simply copying world UV values from one face and pasting to other faces. This is another Radiant feature, and used as much (if not more) than the shortcut keys to fine tune, as it's quite common to have many surrounding faces requiring the same UV settings. This reduces the tedium of fiddling with numbers since it's needed far less often.

Anyway, just suggesting this because uModeler is the only geo editor in my 20-year career that actually beats Radiant in the construction department. BY FAR. Kudos. I'm only sharing industry experience in the hopes to make this the de facto geo editor, but right now editing UVs is a bit of a nightmare. Sorry.

P.S. What about a checkbox to hide the orange overlay when shifting UVs? Depending on the color of the texture it can be very difficult to see in order to line up UV borders.

Thanks for reading!

Attached Files:

UModeler and twitchfactor like this.
  23. Stardog

Stardog

Yeah, no.

24. lod3

lod3

You seem to be one of the developers of this tool. Care to elaborate?

25. twitchfactor

twitchfactor

That's not terribly constructive. You know, I've been a member of the Unity community since ~07, but one of the reasons I slowed (WAY DOWN) on being active in the forums is because of useless comments, like this one.

There's nothing constructive about your statement, whatsoever "Stardog." It's just the typical NeoGaf sniping I can get anywhere on the net. I don't come to a game developer forum (hobbyist OR professional), to get stupid snipes like that.

If you have something constructive to add to the conversation, please do. Otherwise, quit trolling and try to keep the signal-to-noise ratio on the positive.

As to the request of UV tools, especially shortcuts to nudge, I would LOVE to get UV tools like I had back on Radiant and some proprietary editors I've worked with/helped to create. It's INVALUABLE for precise UV editing, especially on geometry generally created by tools like this (walls, floors, ceilings, all from an atlased texture).

Again, I would totally LOVE UV tools, as mentioned by "lod3".

lod3 and RoyArtorius like this.
  26. Stardog

Stardog

My comment was pretty clear. What don't you get?

lod3: Radiant is the best texture editor
    me: no, it's not

27. lod3

lod3

If you felt the need to post your disagreement, why not include what you feel is better? I'm an information sponge, so if there's something better that I missed please share!

28. twitchfactor

twitchfactor

So, you're doubling-down on your lack of constructive conversation? Awesome.

First, you get wrong what "lod3" said. He said, "...the best texturing editor ever made, Radiant..." NOT, "the best texture editor". I don't remember being able to "edit textures" in Radiant, but I sure do remember using it to affect "texturing" (i.e.: UVs) and it was quite capable for the type of geo it created (generally planar and extruded boxes, much like uModeler).

Not one suggestion of a better "texturing editor"? That's not very constructive.

Stardog, I'm really looking forward to more insightful and community-lifting responses from you, in the future. But, if you can't actually contribute to the positive enhancement of this fine tool, you might want to place your terse responses in another thread.

29. UModeler

UModeler

Due to the lack of time the tutorial videos perhaps will be out one by one after UModeler 2.0 is released.
    At this moment I'm making a trailer video ;)

Mark_01 and twitchfactor like this.
  30. lod3

lod3

@UModeler

Thoughts?

31. UModeler

UModeler

Of course. I think basically your idea is good. I’ll reply by tomorrow. Thank you for your idea in advance :)

twitchfactor likes this.
  32. Stardog

Stardog

Maybe stop derailing the thread with your whining. Radiant is terrible for editing UV's. Even bad apps like Sketchup have better tools, and lesser known map editors like Spark for NS2.

33. roykoma

roykoma

To be fair, the one that started derailing this tread was you. lod3 simply mentioned his opinion about Radiant as part of a feature request for the asset that this thread is actually about. But your answer was solely based on the fact that you think that his opinion about Radiant would be a wrong one, which has absolutely nothing to do with UModeler, but should rather take place in a new thread like "Why I think radiant is not the best UV editor", which also shouldn't even be here in the "Assets and Asset Store" category of the forum. So your answer derailed not only this thread but was rather posted in even the wrong forum section.

@UModeler Is there some easy way with UModeler that you could recommend to create a "modular" type of models? As in for example having the ability to set some kind of restriction as to how big a model can be or stuff like this, to ensure that they can be set together cleanly with the same margin (to use them in assets like Octave3D).

twitchfactor and lod3 like this.
  34. lod3

lod3

But you started the whining. Just... knock it off. My Radiant comment rubbed you the wrong way, and as a creative I get that. But your whole point in replying to my original post was neither helpful, nor had anything to do with the intent of my post, so please, exit this conversation. Thank you.

twitchfactor likes this.
  35. Stardog

Stardog

I exited, but two people started replying. So drop it, now.

36. UModeler

UModeler

I've implemented shifting UVs by pressing CTRL + ARROW KEYS as you mentioned as shown below. The offset is 0.01. Receiving key events happens to UV Tool so setting shortcut in preference window can't be done.

UModeler_UVTool_ShiftingUVByPressingKeys.gif

Does this mean copying Shift/Scale/Rotation values of a polygon in UV tool properties or copying UVs of it?

Is Kudos a level editor or a modeling tool? I haven't been able to find any information about this.

Therefore I need feedback like this :). I expect that The new UV Editor will make up for the lack of the current UV editing a lot.

UModeler_UVEditor.png

HideOverlay checkbox has been added to the properties of UV Tool. See the upper attached .gif image.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    twitchfactor likes this.
  37. UModeler

UModeler

I think Grid Snapping and Ruler options in Settings on the UModeler inspector could help you to make a mesh fit into a specific size.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  38. lod3

lod3

This is awesome!
    After doing some testing, I'm not sure this feature would work for uModeler. I tried manually copying the Shift, Scale and Rotation values from one face to an adjacent face, but they did not line up vertically due to both faces being different heights. Radiant works entirely in world space, which you can see when moving a brush in the scene, as the alignment of its faces shift depending on its location. I suppose this is why it makes it easy to copy texture alignment values and paste them to another in Radiant.
    Oh no, "Kudos" is just slang for "Great job on making this tool!" :)
    Again, thank you so much!

UModeler likes this.
  39. UModeler

UModeler

UModeler uses local position and normal to calculate UVs of each polygon so if world pos and normal was used UVs between the different UModeler objects could be aligned. Okay, I'll test it before long.

twitchfactor and lod3 like this.
  40. UModeler

UModeler

I am sorry to have kept you waiting for a long time. At last I submitted UModeler 2.0 package to unity today so it'll be on the asset store soon.

It has taken much longer time than expected to finish 2.0 because I had to make a demo level and recorded videos on how each object in the demo was built with UModeler and make a website as well as implement UV Mapping Editor and fix bugs and improve the existing tools.

I'm happy to be able to show you a new trailer video and a new website for the first time today.

The below is the trailer video made for promotion. It showcases all the important features of UModeler in 3 mins.

www.umodeler.co is a new website so that people who are interested in UModeler will be able to get information of UModeler easily.

Now I'm making tutorial videos and getting started page for beginners, which will be completed probably in a few days before the release.

I hope you'll enjoy UModeler more than before :)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  41. lod3

lod3

Looking forward to it!

UModeler likes this.
  42. RoyArtorius

RoyArtorius

HOLY **** :eek: that looks incredible! I'll definitely be picking it up soon! That trailer just blew me away!

UModeler likes this.
  43. coverpage

coverpage

Phenomenal. Well done.

UModeler likes this.
  44. UModeler

UModeler

Wow this review about my submission of UModeler 2.0 has been finished so quickly. Now I'm very happy to announce that UModeler 2.0 has been released so it's available.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/80868?aid=1011l36n8

And I've made a Getting Started page which has several tutorial videos to show a process of how to make objects like props or buildings etc using UModeler. They are much slower than the former videos so that you'll be able to follow them easily.
    https://umodeler.github.io/tutorialvideos.html

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    coverpage and lod3 like this.
  45. lod3

lod3

Nice! Will check it out tomorrow.

UModeler likes this.
  46. RoyArtorius

RoyArtorius

Oh, so there was a price change.... at almost 20 USD increase... well ****

47. rasto61

rasto61

48. RoyArtorius

RoyArtorius

That's a bit uncalled for, and considering I asked if there was going to be a price change, figured that would've been mentioned in the reply

49. UModeler

UModeler

I just mentioned the upgraded fee about your question. I should have told you that the price would rise when 2.0 was out. I'm so sorry.

50. RoyArtorius

RoyArtorius

No worries! :D
    I think your asset is more than worth it and I'm still going to get it :)
    I just commented that I missed that bit of info and missed a chance to get it cheaper :p

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    UModeler likes this.