Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] UModeler X : Model, Rig, Paint and AI-Texture within Unity [Unity VSP]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UModeler, Mar 23, 2017.

1. UModeler

UModeler

Hi Mattlock,
    I'm happy to announce that this issue has been resolved in 2.7.23. Get the latest version and check it out.

2. UModeler

UModeler

Hello everyone,

UModeler has been updated to 2.7.23f2 for hotfix. It's related to unwrpping UV2. Refresh All used not to be able to resolve broken UV2 for lightmap sometimes.

Usually UV2 messes up when you modify a UModeler mesh after generating UV2s. Now [Refresh All] in 2.7.23f2 ensures 100% fix of broken UV2

Vectrex likes this.
  3. hungrybelome

hungrybelome

Hi, is there anyway to make bevels with face weighted normals?

UModeler likes this.
  4. UModeler

UModeler

Hello hungrybelome, I don't understand what you said about face with weighted normals in the bevel tool. Can you explain it in more detail?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  5. Squeyed

Squeyed

hungrybelome is referring to this technique http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Face_weighted_normals

It's used in Alien Isolation and Star Citizen to great effect, in those cases it means some of the benefits usually derived from baking high poly mesh details into a normal map can be simulated directly in the normals of the mesh. In the case of Star Citizen they were able to tile relatively small textures over very large ships, breaking up the tiling with deferred decals etc while getting smooth looking edges without using a normal map.

That's the basic crux of it, smooth looking edges without a normal map. The bevel itself is not sub-divided so the polycount can be kept relatively low.

In Maya you can use many different available scripts to run the process of weighting the faces automatically, usually by selecting all of the non-bevel faces and running the script.

I agree it would be a wonderfully useful addition as currently I have to treat all of my meshes in other software to achieve this. To begin with being able to at least set a vertex normal manually would help, then being able to set each normal in a vertex separately would be even more helpful (for hard edges). But best of all being able to process face weighted normals by selecting the non-bevel faces and clicking a button would be a huge advantage.

If those are not an option I would greatly appreciate the ability to set hard/soft edges as opposed to setting smoothing groups.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    UModeler likes this.
  6. TabArtwork

TabArtwork

Hello. I'm loving this asset.
    I just had a question regarding the UV Editor.
    I have two materials on the UModeler Object. When I try to edit the UV on the object, it always selects the first material and I can not figure out how to edit the UV for any planes that have the second mateiral.

Is there a way to change which material the UV Editor is working on?

UModeler likes this.
  7. Vectrex

Vectrex

This small article explains it well http://www.bytehazard.com/articles/vertnorm.html

UModeler likes this.
  8. UModeler

UModeler

Hello TabArtwork
    There is a material list in the Settings in the UV Editor window as shown below. You can choose a material which you want to be displayed on the view.
    upload_2020-9-11_18-59-53.png

TabArtwork likes this.
  9. Squeyed

Squeyed

Any chance of getting a decrease selection feature? The increase one is excellent, in other modelling software I often use a mix of increase/decrease selection coupled with invert selection to get the parts I want to edit quickly.

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  10. andyz

andyz

Started playing with UModeler and on second opening of project getting a lot of error messages in the console in 2019.4.8 like:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced.
    2. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)
    and

snip: file out of place

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  11. UModeler

UModeler

Thank you for explaning it and sharing the article about FWN. I managed to understand what it is and I found out that there is a 3ds max script regarding it while reading the article shared by @Vectrex.
    http://www.bytehazard.com/articles/wnormals.html

The author of the 3ds max script said
    It seems that this is not a tricky to implement. I'll look into it more.

Squeyed likes this.
  12. UModeler

UModeler

Hello @andyz,
    Did you move the UModeler folder or change the folder structure or does the full path name of UModeler include not english characters?

13. andyz

andyz

Nevermind I had dragged the assembly out of place after destroying Unity's UIElements (if you click to open the dll, UIElements gets destroyed - well very pushed - for no good reason (except a lot of elements in the project window)
    All good

UModeler likes this.
  14. elaradi23

elaradi23

Hey @UModeler

Is there an equivalent to FBX Exporter from ProBuilder or any means of exporting to .fbx files for UModeler Pro? I'm considering getting UModeler Pro but I also want to be able to extend my work in Blender.
    I hope you don't mind these comparison questions, but I couldn't find an answer for that anywhere.

UModeler likes this.
  15. Squeyed

Squeyed

Export to .obj is in the export options.

elaradi23 and UModeler like this.
  16. Flavelius

Flavelius

obj != fbx

17. Squeyed

Squeyed

Didn't say it was.

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  18. Flavelius

Flavelius

I had to assume that because he did ask explicitly about fbx export.

19. Squeyed

Squeyed

No one forced you to assume and state the obvious, you're arguing for the sake of arguing. Elaradi23 can decide if the information given is useful to their case. Let's not waste any more of this forum's space, good day sir!

UModeler likes this.
  20. eddieray7

eddieray7

Totally awesome tool! One quick question - how do I copy/paste polygons between two different uModeler objects?

UModeler likes this.
  21. Sword_Garden_Studios

Sword_Garden_Studios

I'm having a really weird issue that is making impossible to work in a comfortable way. Even when I have other objects hidden, Umodeler keeps selecting any random object I'm pointing at when I try to manually generate an object by drawing or modify its mesh. Any idea what is happening?

UModeler likes this.
  22. BradZoob

BradZoob

Just started using this, i created a sphere with 64 segments and i'm getting awful performance, when i select a face (polygon tool) or a collection of verts and click any tool to perform an action on it the editor freezes up. If i click on the object and it accidentally registers my click as a drag the editor will freeze while it calculates a "push/pull" or some other geometry modifier, is this normal? the mesh is only 16k verts, i can usually modify tens of millions of verts in realtime with a cost of only a couple of ms, so is there a project setup preference i should observe? like IL2CPP/Burst etc ? Unity 2019.1.14f, Mono 4.x. I couldn't find any such setup details. Or is the limitation of this tool to meshes with under 16k verts? The mesh square draw/extrude function worked fine, but that's only a handful of verts. Also i noticed this is built with DLL's, does this mean if we wanted to optimize this by using Compute to calculate the geometry updates (if that's the bottleneck) we'd be out of luck because the source is protected?

Thanks, this tool does seem pretty amazing, was just hoping to actually use it :p lol.

UModeler likes this.
  23. UModeler

UModeler

Hello @elaradi23

UModeler has an .obj exporter so you can export UModeler mesh as .obj and import it into other DCC tools.
    Obj exporter - https://umodeler.github.io/MiscGroup/ExportTool.html

If you prefer .fbx, you can consider using FBX exporter provided by Unity.
    FBX exporter - https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.formats.fbx@2.0/manual/exporting.html

I hope this answer helps you.

elaradi23 likes this.
  24. UModeler

UModeler

You can detach the selected polygons to make them belong to a new object using Detach Tool and combine the new object having the detached polygons with the other UModeler object by using Combine Tool.
    Detach Tool - https://umodeler.github.io/UVEditor/WeldAndBreakGroup/DetachTool.html
    Combine Tool - https://umodeler.github.io/RemoveGroup/CombineTool.html

25. UModeler

UModeler

Hmm... UModeler is designed to make it not possible to select other objects in Edit mode. In Object mode other objects can be selected with Unity intrinsic module. So it's very hard to understand your issue. Could you make a video or .gif file or images and share them so that I could figure it out?

26. Sword_Garden_Studios

Sword_Garden_Studios

Give me a moment and I'll show because this is weird xd I'll put it in this same post.

Edit: Here it is. The Umodeler window pop up is because I tried erasing and importing again just in case but it didn't help. As you can see when I create a new object it goes nuts and doesn't let me draw the new object it just tries to select anything I'm pointing at. When I select something in select object mode, it stays where it is but as soon I try to modify it, it goes nuts again.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    UModeler likes this.
  27. UModeler

UModeler

Hello @BradZoob,

UModeler is for low-polygon modeling and prototyping so it is very hard to manipulate a high-polygon mesh like more than 2000 polygons but the number could vary depending on the computing power. Actually I would have had to decrease the number of maximum segment of the sphere tool such as 32 or 24 etc. I already have known the issue. And the freezing problem tends to happen very frequently due to the architecture of UModeler if the polygon count is high. Fortunately I've made it happen much more less today and this change will be included in UModeler 2.7.25 after 2.7.24 being released which is going to be released in a few days.
    Regarding the source code, our policy is not to provide it with the package because of some security issues so I hope you will understand our situation.

Best regards
    Jaesik.

BradZoob likes this.
  28. UModeler

UModeler

Seamless editor is now on. hahaha. It makes you select other UModeler object without LMB click. Set the Seamless Edit mode to Single in Settings window.
    Settings window - https://umodeler.github.io/settings.html

29. Sword_Garden_Studios

Sword_Garden_Studios

Good god......I'm sorry people.....I'm stupid xd Thank you for the problem solved.

UModeler likes this.
  30. UModeler

UModeler

New UModeler Trailer - The Island Villag

All assets on the video except a few small grasses and water are modeled with only UModeler.

The Island Village demo pack is going to be provided exclusively for free with UModeler 2.7.24 soon.

Enjoy UModeler!

Vectrex likes this.
  31. Sword_Garden_Studios

Sword_Garden_Studios

So, it is in single now....I can't draw anything?

32. UModeler

UModeler

You can draw as you did in the selected object. If you want to draw or edit on other object, you should select it with Object Tool.

33. UModeler

UModeler

A video about Seamless Editing. It is rather old but still useful.

34. Sword_Garden_Studios

Sword_Garden_Studios

It doesn't let me. I create a new object only one click build works.

edit: Maybe I'm doing something stupid but creating a new object and drawing it manually should as easy as I try in the video. By the way, In a new project, it just works, so....

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    UModeler likes this.
  35. UModeler

UModeler

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    johaswe, Squeyed and Willbkool_FPCS like this.
  36. UModeler

UModeler

This seems very weird. I'm glad to hear that it works on the new project, though.

37. RussianRonin

RussianRonin

Hello,

I am trying to use UModeler with Bakery and emissive textures. Does Umodeler support this combination of tools or am I missing some settings? There are no lightmaps generated for the UModeler Object when I render with Bakery. Let me know if you need any other info. I am using Unity 2018.4.20f1, Bakery 1.71 and Umodeler 2.7.24.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    UModeler likes this.
  38. Squeyed

Squeyed

What software did you use to texture this? I'd thought maybe Substance Painter due to the padding dilation but there was a bevel around a door frame's normal map that looked difficult to achieve with that software without baking.

Nice pack, UModeler is a powerful tool!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    UModeler likes this.
  39. UModeler

UModeler

Hello @RussianRonin,
    We have the Local Settings tool which has a button to generate UV2 ,and Refresh All located at the local scene toolbar also generates UV2 of all UModeler objects in the scene.
    Local Settings Tool - https://umodeler.github.io/MiscGroup/LocalSettingsTool.html
    Refresh All - https://umodeler.github.io/settings.html#id5

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  40. UModeler

UModeler

Good question. We use ZBrush and Substance Painter for texturing. We made high-polygon UModeler meshes using ZBrush to create AO, Normal and Roughness maps and so on. And then final textures were made using them in Substance Painter.

Squeyed likes this.
  41. RussianRonin

RussianRonin

Thanks for the reply. It seems like something was broken before but things are still funky.

On the right is a simple Unity plane. On the left is a simple plane that the only thing I did was make it a Umodeler Object with the button. You can see that the lighting is not the same on the Umodeler Object. I expect it to look the same as the right plane but it is darker for some reason.

UModeler likes this.
  42. Saiga308

Saiga308

I'm getting the following error in Unity 2020.1.0f1 when I create a new UModeler. The UModeler menu is blank and Unity continually throws this error until I delete any UModeler objects in the scene. Any ideas?

Code (JavaScript):
    1. AmbiguousMatchException: Ambiguous match found.
    2. System.RuntimeType.GetMethodImpl (System.String name, System.Reflection.BindingFlags bindingAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Reflection.CallingConventions callConv, System.Type[] types, System.Reflection.ParameterModifier[] modifiers) (at <fb001e01371b4adca20013e0ac763896>:0)
    3. System.Type.GetMethod (System.String name) (at <fb001e01371b4adca20013e0ac763896>:0)
    4. tripolygon.UModeler.Util..cctor () (at <e796aa6ba3554fdfa413a90474436092>:0)
    5. Rethrow as TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'tripolygon.UModeler.Util' threw an exception.
    6. TPUModelerEditor.ToolManager.RegisterToolGroups () (at <9e5d0678092d4ec695b9f4cd51e14af0>:0)
    7. TPUModelerEditor.ToolManager.Init () (at <9e5d0678092d4ec695b9f4cd51e14af0>:0)
    8. TPUModelerEditor.ToolManager..cctor () (at <9e5d0678092d4ec695b9f4cd51e14af0>:0)
    9. Rethrow as TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'TPUModelerEditor.ToolManager' threw an exception.
    10. TPUModelerEditor.EditorMode.get_currentTool () (at <9e5d0678092d4ec695b9f4cd51e14af0>:0)
    11. TPUModelerEditor.EditorMode.Update () (at <9e5d0678092d4ec695b9f4cd51e14af0>:0)
    12. TPUModelerEditor.UModelerEditor.Update () (at <9e5d0678092d4ec695b9f4cd51e14af0>:0)
    13. UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions () (at <b17f35b08b864a3ca09a7032b437596e>:0)
    My project is set to use .NET 4.x API

Packages in project:
    UModeler 2.7.24
    Bolt 1.4.12
    Amplify Shader Editor 1.8.4
    Cinemachine 2.6.2
    Post Processing 2.3.0
    Test Framework 1.1.16
    TextMeshPro 3.0.1
    Timeline 1.3.6
    Unity UI 1.0.0
    Visual Studio Code Editor 1.2.2
    Visual Studio Editor 2.0.3

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Gekigengar and UModeler like this.
  43. Saiga308

Saiga308

I updated to Unity 2020.1.6f1 and removed the Unity UI package, however I'm still getting the same exception.

Code (JavaScript):
    1. AmbiguousMatchException: Ambiguous match found.
    2. System.RuntimeType.GetMethodImpl (System.String name, System.Reflection.BindingFlags bindingAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Reflection.CallingConventions callConv, System.Type[] types, System.Reflection.ParameterModifier[] modifiers) (at <fb001e01371b4adca20013e0ac763896>:0)
    3. System.Type.GetMethod (System.String name) (at <fb001e01371b4adca20013e0ac763896>:0)
    4. tripolygon.UModeler.Util..cctor () (at <e796aa6ba3554fdfa413a90474436092>:0)
    5. Rethrow as TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'tripolygon.UModeler.Util' threw an exception.
    6. TPUModelerEditor.ToolManager.RegisterToolGroups () (at <9e5d0678092d4ec695b9f4cd51e14af0>:0)
    7. TPUModelerEditor.ToolManager.Init () (at <9e5d0678092d4ec695b9f4cd51e14af0>:0)
    8. TPUModelerEditor.ToolManager..cctor () (at <9e5d0678092d4ec695b9f4cd51e14af0>:0)
    9. Rethrow as TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'TPUModelerEditor.ToolManager' threw an exception.
    10. TPUModelerEditor.EditorMode.get_currentTool () (at <9e5d0678092d4ec695b9f4cd51e14af0>:0)
    11. TPUModelerEditor.UModelerSettings.Apply () (at <9e5d0678092d4ec695b9f4cd51e14af0>:0)
    12. TPUModelerEditor.CommonSettings.OnValidate () (at <9e5d0678092d4ec695b9f4cd51e14af0>:0)
    13. UnityEditor.SerializedObject:ApplyModifiedProperties()
    14. TPUModelerEditor.EditorUtil:LoadObject(Object, String)
    15. TPUModelerEditor.EditorUtil:LoadProperty(SerializedProperty, String)
    16. TPUModelerEditor.EditorUtil:LoadObject(Object, String)
    17. TPUModelerEditor.UModelerSettings:Load()
    18. TPUModelerEditor.UModelerEditor:OnEnable()

UModeler likes this.
  44. Saiga308

Saiga308

Strange, in the Unity Package Manager it would show UModeler 2.7.24 every time I opened it. But I had an update button, not an import button. I would click update and it would say it was already up to date and set the version number to 2.7.24.

I had to delete the tripolygon folder, reopen my project, go in to the package manager, and it showed I had 2.7.24 ready to install, but when I expanded out the version tree, it showed the current version as 2.6.21 and then allowed me to update the package. After update and import it now works properly. For some reason it wouldn't overwrite or get rid of the version 2.6.21 even though I ran the update in the package manager. Definitely a Unity bug, not a UModeler bug. Posting this here in case anyone encounters the issue.

Gekigengar and UModeler like this.
  45. UModeler

UModeler

Because the normal of the UModeler plane is different from the right plane's normal. And it seems that there is one directional light in the scene. Check out the explanation of light types here - https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Lighting.html

46. UModeler

UModeler

I'm glad to hear that the issue has been fixed. It seems that Unity package manager wasn't able to clear the former version of UModeler for some reasons.

47. RussianRonin

RussianRonin

No. The white below it is a plane with an emissive material on it pointing straight up. That is why on the right plane, you see the light gradually get dimmer as it goes up the plane. There are no actual light objects in this scene.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  48. UModeler

UModeler

If you use an emissive material, the plane normal generated by UModeler should not affect the lighting. Can you test after you remove UModeler component? Even though you delete it your mesh will be rendered. If your lighting was still weird after UModeler component being deleted, you might have to find other cause of this issue.

49. RussianRonin

RussianRonin

Yeah... I have no clue why lighting is broken this badly. It is something UModeler is doing to the mesh/object where Bakery just doesn't pick it up anymore. I basically have a floor which is a pure white emissive texture and 4 planes for walls with the default unity texture. 3 planes are unity primitive planes. I made the 4th a Umodeler object then removed the Umodeler component then Bakery no longer picks it up for some reason. I even tried saving the mesh filter to see if that was the issue and that didn't fix it.

50. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

G'day guys,

Is Umodeler working with 2020.1.6f1?

Started a brand new URP project with only Umodeler installed.
    Click on new Umodeler then Cube and Unity hangs with a Hold On box, "Application.Message".