Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] UModeler X : Model, Rig, Paint and AI-Texture within Unity [Unity VSP]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UModeler, Mar 23, 2017.

1. UModeler

UModeler

Thank you :)

2. UModeler

UModeler

The price of UModeler is going to rise one more time because I decide to release a free trial version so if you consider buying UModeler it would be better to get it in a few days.

RoyArtorius likes this.
  3. UModeler

UModeler

Now you can subscribe to newsletter here to be informed about recent news of UModeler.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  4. RoyArtorius

RoyArtorius

Thanks for the heads up, but I've already (and accidently) purchased UModeler :D (I was testing out my new credit card and some how accidently hit the buy button without knowing it :p)

5. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Sure wish your tutorial videos had either a voice or a good subtitle track, as it is painful to chase your mouse pointer around the screen trying to define what you are doing....I have given up until this is solved.

6. UModeler

UModeler

I'm sorry to hear that. Actually I'm not a native speaker so it will be hard to add narrations so I'll add subtitles to the tutorial videos sooner or later.

7. UModeler

UModeler

Wow. Nice! :)

8. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Understood. But the success of your sales will be dependent upon the quality of your tutorials.

UModeler likes this.
  9. UModeler

UModeler

TrialVersionDownload3.png

Hello,

The free trial version has been uploaded. If you hesitate to buy UModeler, please try it out.
    You can download it here

Thank you.
    Tripolygon.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    ftejada and shikhrr like this.
  10. jhlee_unity

jhlee_unity

Whao. I wonder if this tools could be manipulated through coding.

11. UModeler

UModeler

It's possible to manipulate a mesh via coding but officially API for it isn't exposed yet.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  12. MastermindInteractive

MastermindInteractive

Thank you for creating one of Unity's missing pieces. As an avid user of Maya for over 10 years, there are just some things that your tool makes easier. There are a few quirks and issues but nothing that I can't live with. That said.. I would like to submit my list of features/tweaks/updates for consideration in a future version:

• Allow to ctrl+drag+select multiple sets of transform options (vertices\). Sometimes you many not be able to select all items at once.
    • Combine based on distance - if you select more than one vertices, only combine if they are a certain distance
    • When using Multi-Push/Pull keep polygons together instead of making separate extrusions.
    • When using Inset - and you have selected multiple adjacent polygons, add a setting to keep the inset as one instead of creating multiple insets for each polygon.
    • UV Window - Add texel density calculation, inputs for texel density and map size and then a button to scale up or down the selected uv island based on that.
    • UV Window - Cut edges feature
    • Double-Click on Edge to select loop.
    • Non Standard Materials do not show in UV Window or preview thumbnail near Material list. - I'm using Amplify Shader Editor.
    • Allow us to select sub-objects. For instance, if you have multiple pieces of an object in one UModeler you have to select vertex, edge or poly's to select a sub-object.
    • Allow hard vs smooth edges - you don't always want to define smoothing groups based on face, sometimes you want to define them based on the edge, like Maya
    • UV Window - Uniform Unwrapping. Instead of unwrapping to the width and height of the 0,1 make poly's unwrap to their correct width / height ratios
    Thank you so much for the awesome, helpful tool.

UModeler likes this.
  13. UModeler

UModeler

Wow, Thank you so much for using UModeler and giving well-sorted feedback. I think most of them should be applied to UModeler so I'll try to work on them for the upcoming update.

This seems to be already in UModeler. With Average Normal of the Pushpull type property in the inspector the selected polygons will be kept together while being extruded. See Multiple PushPull Tool doc

About Multiple Inset you can inset adjacent polygons as a group when Type property in the inspector is set to Group. See Inset Tool doc but the group type multiple inset still has a few issues, which will have to be dealt with.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    MastermindInteractive likes this.
  14. MastermindInteractive

MastermindInteractive

Thank you very much for the response! I have one more issue. I'm trying to apply RGBA vertex colors to the generated models and I'm not able to edit them with Vertex Painter Pro. If I export to object and paint that, it works. Am I doing something wrong here?

15. UModeler

UModeler

Does Vertex Painter Pro means Vertex Tools Pro on the asset store? (https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/painting/vertex-tools-pro-55649)
    If not, could you please put a link of the tool to try out?

16. MastermindInteractive

MastermindInteractive

17. Kissvane

Kissvane

Hello I have a very specific use case and I'm interested in your product.
    Is it possible to use Umodeler at runtime ?
    If not how difficult it would be to change it ?
    Are needed methods exposed to make this plugin work at runtime?

18. UModeler

UModeler

Hello Kissvane,

Thank you for your interest in UModeler.

Unfortunately UModeler is designed for Unity Extensnion so it's not possible to use it at runtime because UModeler component isn't be saved in build. If it was saved in build and some helper functions in editor was moved to the core, manipulating a mesh using UModeler would be possible at runtime but it would need some tests and modifications.

Currently UModeler APIs aren't exposed publicly because it's been designed for level designers and modelers at first. Some other people also asked me to get the APIs exposed before so I've thought about how to do it but I'm not sure how long it will take.

19. MastermindInteractive

MastermindInteractive

Any ideas on how I can get UModeler models to work with materials that utilize RGBA Vertex colors? From what I can tell, vertex colors only work with your Color feature.Anyone wanting to use Vertex colors on their models are at a disadvantage using your tool at this point.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  20. UModeler

UModeler

UModeler overrides the vertex colors in the Mesh Filter mesh whenever you modify the mesh using UModeler tools.
    So I recommend that you work on modeling and vertex painting separately like you model a mesh at first and paint vertices using Vertex Painter later. If the order is changed or you work by turns vertex colors painted using Vertex Painter tools will be broken.

21. UModeler

UModeler

Recently I've worked on displaying Surforge material on UV Editor. Only a main texture in a material was displayed before but now a material itself is displayed as it is so even a material without texture is also shown in the UV Editor. I could achieve this by rendering a quad wrapped with the material to a texture. And it is also applied to the material thumbnails in Material tool so non standard materials are also shown as thumbnails in the material tool.
    This will be included to the next update which will take place soon.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    Mark_01 likes this.
  22. MastermindInteractive

MastermindInteractive

I figured out a way to utilize vertex colors using my shaders with umodeler (I just have my shader looking for r,g,b and I apply those colors to the model in umodeler) but i’m handicapped with being forced to apply color to faces instead of vertices. Any chance that this is planned in a future update?

23. UModeler

UModeler

It would be good to be able to assign a color to each vertex as you said so I'll add this to the existing Color tool sooner or later.

24. Kissvane

Kissvane

Thanks for the quick answer. I will look at it again in the futur :). If you make it runtime it would be awesome.

UModeler likes this.
  25. UModeler

UModeler

Vertex Color tool has been added so it'll be included in the upcoming update. As you notice in the gif image above you can paint vertices in the selected color with the sphere brush by dragging a mouse holding SHIFT.

26. UModeler

UModeler

The new two tutorials have been added to youtube. Unfortunately subtitles have not been added yet.
    I'm planning to add subtitles soon to the new tutorial videos which will guide beginners.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    Mark_01 likes this.
  27. lod3

lod3

@UModeler

Small request, since there's no way to set a custom grid snapping size. Could you please add 0.0625 and 0.03125 to available grid sizes? They seem like small numbers, but they help tremendously for subtle detailing.

Edit: Discovered that "Grid Size" allows me to enter my custom snap value. The above presets, however, would still be much appreciated :)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    UModeler and coverpage like this.
  28. UModeler

UModeler

Okay, the smaller sizes will be added in the upcoming update.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    lod3 likes this.
  29. UModeler

UModeler

Good news. UModeler 2.0.5 is available. Click here for more changelog.

Edited
    Version 2.0.51
    • Hotfix : Adding/Removing material in Material tool wreren’t allowed.
    • Hotfix : Individual edge transform holding SHIFT
    • Hotfix : Incorrect triangle count. The former displayed triangle number was twice than the real one.

Version 2.0.5
    • UV Editor : PBR texture preview
    • UV Editor : Keeps width/height ratio of the polygon after unwrapping.
    • UV Editor : Keeps the orientation of the polygons after unwrapping.
    • Supports the Surforge preview texture wrapped in UModeler.
    • UV Editor : 1D snapping done by transforming elements holding CTRL
    • Transform tool : 1D snapping done by transforming elements holding CTRL
    • Transform tool : Exposure of Insert Vertex property.
    • Transform tool : Vertex splits when transforming a vertex holding SHIFT.
    • Material tool : Improvement of displaying material preview in the list. The material with no texture is also displayed well.
    • Bevel Tool : Made the selected vertices/edges/polygons visible at the beginning of Beveling.
    • Vertex Color Tool has been added.
    • The Color tool has been renamed to Polygon Color tool.
    • Grid Setup : 0.0315, 0.0625 grid size have been added to Popular Grid Size

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Mark_01 and lod3 like this.
  30. MastermindInteractive

MastermindInteractive

Hello! This is great news! Thank you for making the updates. I tried out the vertex painter and it works just fine! I did notice a potential bug when trying to add Materials. For some reason it is only allowing me to add one material, whenever I try to add more it doesn't seem to work when in the previous version it did. Is there a quick fix for this?

Thanks again for t he update!

31. UModeler

UModeler

Oops. It'll be fixed as soon as possible. Thank you for letting me know about it.
    EDITED : 2.0.51 has been submitted for the hot fix related to the issue of adding materials.

32. UModeler

UModeler

Two transform features have been added in this update.
    The first one is individual transformation of Vertex/Edge. Only individual polygon transform was available before. Now Vertex/Edge can also be transformed individually holding SHIFT.
    Another one is 1d snapping. This works by moving a vertex holding CTRL. The vertex is snapped to a vertex under the cursor.
    Please click on here for more info about them. UModeler_TransformHoldingShift_v2.gif
    Transforming Vertex/Edge/Polygon holding SHIFT to transform them separately.
    UModeler_VertexTool_1dSnapping.gif
    1D snapping to the vertex under the cursor while transforming Vertex holding CTRL.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    coverpage likes this.
  33. coverpage

coverpage

Love the snapping. Have been waiting for that feature. It's hard to eyeball some times

UModeler likes this.
  34. guidoponzini

guidoponzini

First of all, amazing plugin...

I'm experiencing a bug in Unity 2017.3.
    When I select ADD MATERIAL the slot 1 remain on Umodeler mat (no matter to change it), and 2nd material doesn't have the slot material, throwing me the error Index out of range. Then, clicking again Add Material doesn't work no more...

A way to fix?

35. UModeler

UModeler

Thank you so much!.

I'm sorry about the inconvenience. Version 2.0.51 for the hot fix of Material tool has been submitted for review so it'll be available soon. Please click on here for more info.

36. UModeler

UModeler

Finally the material slot bug has been fixed in 2.0.51 which is available now :)

MastermindInteractive likes this.
  37. UModeler

UModeler

Seamless Mesh Editing Tutorial Video.

You can convert a mesh object and edit it with UModeler. The mesh in the video is from Robot lab project.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  38. UModeler

UModeler

A ventilation fan from Robot lab project is converted to UModeler mesh and it is edited using UModeler tools.

39. UModeler

UModeler

An automatic door from Robot lab project is converted to UModeler mesh and it is edited using UModeler tools.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Mark_01 likes this.
  40. Orimay

Orimay

Hello there! I can not export a box, built with UModeler 2.0.51. Resulting asset/obj.prefab just does not have mesh filter / vertices

41. UModeler

UModeler

Hello Kender,

I've test all types of exporting. I'll put the explanation of the test results below.

1. Obj format
    Obj type works well. You can see .obj, .mtl and used texture files in a folder after exporting UModeler mesh as a form of .obj. You'll be able to import the obj by dragging it to the project folder and place it on the scene.

2. asset format
    The exported file as .asset format can be imported as done like .obj file by dragging and placing it on the scene. But I've found that the placed mesh's texture is missing. It should be fixed. Please assign proper materials in the MeshRenderer component in person until it's fixed.

3. prefab format.
    The exported file as .prefab can be imported as the upper cases and can be placed with no problems except that the placed prefab has no mesh. But don't worry. It can be solved by selecting Tools/UModeler/Refresh All menu which will refresh all UModeler objects in the scene to make mesh filter components of UModeler up-to-date.

42. Orimay

Orimay

Thank you for the fast response! Yes, obj export worked, but it takes several steps to get it out to prefab to use with other tools (that use non-placed prefabs).

I really love the job, you did, but I want to point out several things:
    - Round stairs would've been a great addon here. ProBuilder has it, and I am not sure how to make them here
    - Torus primitive is missing - it is possible to make one with the Follow command, but it seems like it takes too much time to build a single one. Can be used for curved pipes
    - Sometimes Push/Pull is restricted by something. Not sure, what that is, but sometimes it just gets stuck
    - I would've been really amazing to have some scatter configurable tool, that would add some noisy edges so that low poly ground/wall/whatever should be uneven could get built easily. It is really hard to create realistic noise vertices/offsets added manually, and this seems a really useful feature (create/offset vertices in direction/normal with min/max (and even, probably, based on a texture *__*))
    - Icons instead of text buttons could get a bit handier

I know, this might sound like a lot, but I believe, that these features will push your project far beyond any other toolkit here. Thank you for such a great work! Looking forward to the new updates!

UModeler likes this.
  43. lod3

lod3

Like the suggestions! Author has been amazing at adding new features, too. But, to respond to my quote from your post, uModeler was already light years beyond the competition the day it released.

UModeler likes this.
  44. Orimay

Orimay

This may be very true, but I didn't hqve the chance to get to know UModeler that time. Also, I could not get any more wrong at not pointing out, that sculpting would've been an amazing feature! It is pretty close to what I mentioned in one of the features, I'd love to see, where scattering and noicing by texture could get achieved by a set of generic brushes

45. UModeler

UModeler

Thank you for your feedback. I'll put my answers below.
    Can you describe this in more detail? Do you think the several steps, which unfortunately I don't understand, can be reduced?
    Do you mean a spiral stair? I'll add this request to my todo list.
    It would be good to have this in primitive shapes. It'll be added in the future.
    Can you turn off Border Check property when you feel that push/pull action is not immediate? Border Check could need many calculations to detect boundaries if there are lots of polygons.
    This sounds good but I hardly picture how this would work. Is there videos to show this in other modeling tools?
    Yes, I've been planning to implement the icon-based menu panel.

46. UModeler

UModeler

I've uploaded new demo videos to showcase how the wooden cart in the trailer video is modeled.
    The whole process is rather long so I couldn't help dividing the tutorial part into modeling and uv mapping.

47. Orimay

Orimay

Thank you for your response.

I need to make an obj export, then instantiate my exported object, then create a prefab of it, then delete the instantiated object. I wish, I could simply do a prefab export, where the mesh is linked to any additional file exported.

Yes, sorry for my English. This would've been an awesome update.

Thank you, I could not understand what Border Check is for. Maybe this is what I had troubles with.

Ok, I could explain this, I think. I believe I was referring to sculpting in some way. Let me explain. So, first, we select a polygon, and we do something like parametrized inset there. It cuts the polygon with more edges. I would set a vertex count or vertex density as a parameter, that would get evenly spread over the polygon, and then connected, making triangles. Inset does somewhat like that (but without randomness) and Maya's Subdiv Proxy. It would've been awesome to have options to spread vertices either randomly or the way Maya would have done that. This way we could achieve a simple way of building such rivers, roads, mountains, rocks and even clouds:

Also, if I would speak of sculpting (that is amazingly useful in 3d modeling), I would refer to Polybrush tool:
    . Can you imagine sculpting in UModeler 2.0? I can. I know, this is a huge request, and I already own a Polybrush tool, but it's always awesome to have all-in-one-place, you know. Everyone would love that!

Yay!

P.S. I love your tutorials!

48. Orimay

Orimay

Here you can see texture based displacement:

49. HakJak

HakJak

So far I'm loving UModeler! However, I've run into an important material problem. It seems that normal maps do not work correctly on UModeler objects. (Using Unity 2017.3.0f3)

Only thing that "fixes" this is to export to .obj and manually re-assign the material. Unfortunately, this defeats the main purpose of UModeler.

Here's a screenshot comparing. The one on the bottom is a UModeler object. Both objects have the exact same material applied and are in the same scene.

UModeler Material Problem.PNG

EDIT: If I zoom in really close, I can see there is some bumpiness there, but it is not correct at all. Just a small shadow around the edge. Increasing normal map strength does not fix the issue.

EDIT 2: The same problem occurs if you take a regular mesh and "UModelerize" it.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  50. UModeler

UModeler

Why don't you removing UModeler component of a game object and making it a prefab? You wouldn't need to export as .obj file.
    Implementing the sculpting features would be a huge work so it would be beyond UModeler. However I've been thinking about adding subdivision feature using Catmull-clark algorithm. If Unity supported OpenSubdiv it would be much easier. And you will be able to subdivide a box or cylinder etc using Loop Slice tool which will make it possible to model the POLYGON pack styled meshes.
    This looks interesting. I'll check it out.