Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] UModeler X : Model, Rig, Paint and AI-Texture within Unity [Unity VSP]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UModeler, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Loards

Loards

No it doesn't, i think is related that Polybrush (and i guess Umodeler) writes in vertex streams. also the disappearing stuff even without entering in play mode is happening too, is happening after opening a scene.

Hope the new update helps with this. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  2. UModeler

UModeler

3. UModeler

UModeler

Please let me know after testing with 2.6.19. I'll install Polybrush and try it out soon.

4. MikhaskoS

MikhaskoS

Great news. Thanks. However, I still can't export to the format .obj..
    And objects disappear in Play mode if you select them in the inspector.

5. UModeler

UModeler

I would like to fix this bug but I have no idea of how to reproduce it. Would you try to export to .obj with other versions of Unity?
    Really? The selected UModeler objects don't disappear on play mode in my case. Could you explain it in more detail?

6. Loards

Loards

Sure, basically after opening a scene, every Umodeler that is selected becomes invisible. Here a Gif

Also, if an prefab with umodeler objects is opened to be edited everything is invisible and only becomes visible when selecting them, in other word, in scene, selected objects becomes invisible and in prefab objects are invisible and when selected becomes visible.

In scene, "Refresh all" do not work to make visible the objects, the only way is to go to every asset individually and in the umodeler options press the "generate uv2 channel for lightmap" then objects are visible again.

This happens every time a scene is opened or loaded, once used the "generate uv2 channel for lightmap" the objects are usable normally, until the scene is loaded again.

Alos, Colliders are still not working when a mesh is selected during gameplay

This is happening in the latest version of Umodeler. invisibleobjects.gif

Also, this error appears when using Refresh All: upload_2019-11-7_11-56-40.png

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  7. MikhaskoS

MikhaskoS

Hi.
    Vertex markers are scalable objects. This is very inconvenient when working with large models. It would be very nice if these were fixed values. And even better, if the size and color of the markers could be adjusted independently.

PS.There's another thing I really like about editors. If you select a polygon and switch to vertex (edge) editing mode, the vertices (edges) of that polygon are selected.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  8. UModeler

UModeler

I'm sorry for the issue to bother you. I'll look into it. It could be better to use UModeler 2.6.18 for now. BTW UModeler 2.6.20 has been released but the fix there doesn't seem to be related to that issue.

9. UModeler

UModeler

Good suggestions! I'll add them to my to-do list. Thank you.
    BTW 2.6.20 has been uploaded. It's for fixing the bug where the selected UModeler objects disappears on play mode.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  10. Loards

Loards

thank you, also there is a new bug, suddenly selecting a mesh, crashed horribly the mesh, making the whole screen flicker and even the unity interface get corrupted (im not kidding) this happens in a whole scene basis, this mean that some scenes work fine and other have this bug. Finding the problematic mesh and then deleting the umodeler component fixes the issue, then we can add again u modeler to the mesh and use it normally.

11. UModeler

UModeler

This seems serious. Do you know how to reproduce it? Can you show me the problematic mesh?

12. UModeler

UModeler

13. Enzi

Enzi

Hello!
    I found a new problem:
    https://giphy.com/gifs/KApAz4C21KVDq7klKd
    When I select 1 vertex and move it a second vertex moves with it.
    I've attached the prefab. It's in 2019.3.0a5
    Hope you can fix this or tell me how to fix this.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

14. UModeler

UModeler

Hi Enzi,
    Would you check if Insert Vertex parameter is on in the inspector? If so, turn it off and try it again.
    btw what are you modeling? The material there looks realistic.

15. Enzi

Enzi

Thanks, that worked but doesn't solve the issue!
    I see what's happening now, never thought about this option having influence over it.
    Here is another video that show the process from scratch: http://enzenebner.com/vids/umodeler_vertex.mp4
    I hope you can isolate this issue, Insert Vertex doesn't play nice for some reason and this is, I think, not the expected behaviour it should have.

Oh, this is a cliff entrance into a cave and underground base. I'm mainly using Umodeler as editor to build maps. It's the best one I've found so far and not as confusing or limited as other editors from other engines and my current goal is to have a style similar to build/doom engine games. I'm also using polygon colors for sector lighting which works really nice with cutting shapes.

16. UModeler

UModeler

Why didn't you turn Insert Vertex off in the video?
    Actually it should be removed someday because its behavior is sometimes ambiguous. However it's still necessary in some cases as below.
    UModeler_TransformTool_InsertVertexProperty.gif
    Thank you for the detailed explanation. I'm looking forward to seeing your work later. Keep it up!

17. Enzi

Enzi

Well, turned off I can't illustrate the bug. I have another video for you. This one shows better how it's not just an usability problem: http://enzenebner.com/vids/umodeler_vertex2.mp4
    Movement is really ambigious due to this and not really welcome when you want to operate on vertex level.

18. BasicallyGames

BasicallyGames

Is there any way to restore Umodels when a prefab's reference to Umodeler is lost? I just upgraded Umodeler for the first time in a while and all of my Umodel prefabs say the Umodel script is missing. When I restore the script it's a blank Umodel. Any objects that existed within a scene are restored properly after restoring the script, it's standalone prefabs that have been lost.

Also, the error I reported here a while back was being caused by another unrelated issue, sorry for not coming back and clarifying that sooner.

19. UModeler

UModeler

Thank you for sharing the videos to let me know about the bug. You didn't need to keep posting them though because I already noticed the bug when I took a look at your first post. I just wanted to let you know about a workaround. I recommend that you should turn it off by default. Of course, I'm going to deal with this issue.

20. UModeler

UModeler

Hello BasicallyGames,
    Could you check if FileID in .prefab file is same as FileID in the prefab instance in Unity Scene file after you open up the two files on the text editor? The below image shows how they look like.

bandicam 2019-11-18 14-14-34-470.jpg
    .Prefab file

bandicam 2019-11-18 14-15-21-135.jpg
    Unity scene file

And would you make sure that UModeler script is missing or not in a prefab?
    Did this situation start to happen when you just updated UModeler?
    Does this mean that any objects except UModeler objects were restored?
    That's Okay. We've already found out the solution at that time. BTW I'm wondering about the unrelated issue causing the problem.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  21. l21zxib8tr0f33v3

l21zxib8tr0f33v3

Just heard about this Asset recently, looks very nice especially for creating more complex 3D models.
    I have a few questions though.

1. There are a few Probuilder Models that I'd like to keep, they are very simple (literally just boxes with certain faces colored.) Is there a way to Convert Probuilder Models to UModeler? I think I saw that there was somewhere, but I haven't heard much about this feature in my research.

2. Will there be a sale anytime soon? I'd absolutely love to use this asset, but currently the price is a little steep, I'd also hate to shell out $89 on an asset and it go on sale a week later, which has happened to me before.
    Just curious and not trying to say your asset isn't worth the $89, I'm sure it is, I'm just checking to see if I'll get lucky is all. :p

22. UModeler

UModeler

Hi there,
    It sounds good! Could you probably tell me where you hear about UModeler? :)
    Using UModelerize you can convert ProBuilder mesh to UModeler mesh quickly. Of course, any static mesh can be edited with UModeler after being converted. UModelerize is located under Tools > UModeler at the top menu.
    See here - https://umodeler.github.io/menu.html

Thank you for being interested in UModeler.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  23. BasicallyGames

BasicallyGames

Oh, that's not the issue. The problem is that prefabs of Umodeler objects lost the reference to Umodeler (Not that scene objects lost their reference to Umodeler prefabs), and the models didn't restore when I restored the script. I did not use these prefabs in any scenes, I only modified them within the prefab editor.

I'm not sure. It's been a while since I've done any work with Umodeler.

There were no issues with the scene itself. What I'm trying to say is that *all* Umodels within my project lost the reference to the Umodeler script, saying "The associated script can not be loaded. Please fix any compile errors and assign a valid script" despite the fact there are no errors with the Umodeler script. Umodels that were saved only as .prefab files did not restore when I re-added the Umodeler script. Umodels that existed as objects in a scene did restore when I re-added the Umodeler script.

Thankfully, I haven't really lost any work because I saved all my Umodels as meshes and those are what I use in my game, so it's not a huge deal. In the future I'll probably edit my Umodels within a scene instead of in the prefab editor, just to be safe.

At the moment I'm not too concerned about it, but if it happens to me again I'll let you know. This might have been just a one time thing.

UModeler likes this.
  24. l21zxib8tr0f33v3

l21zxib8tr0f33v3

I was looking up a probuilder error and came across this forum page, than I looked up Umodeler in the asset store and thought it looked pretty cool, so I looked more into it.

I really wish there were more video tutorials with narration, I have a vision impairment so videos with subtitles or videos where I have to follow the mouse cursor are very hard to follow for me and I much prefer a narrated video.

You mentioned earlier in this forum that English isn't your first language so you're not sure how you'd go about making a narrated video. I have a thought though, if you could work with someone like Sykoo or Brackeys or some other known Unity Youtuber to make a video for Umodeler, I think it'd help both with advertising and with getting people started with the asset.

Umodeler has a lot of features Probuilder does not. but Probuilder has something Umodeler doesn't have that can make it or break it for some people. Probuilder has A LOT of video tutorials, with narration.

And I'm going to be honest here, if I didn't find the few videos on Umodeler by DumbGameDev, I probably wouldn't be interested in the asset. Just because I learn best with video tutorials, especially when first starting out, when everything is new and overwhelming.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    UModeler likes this.
  25. UModeler

UModeler

I've made a list of YouTubers who mainly deals with Unity assets and tutorials to keep asking for making some videos about UModeler. I really want UModeler to be introduced by them because of the reasons you mentioned. I'll try and let you know later.
    Yes, I really want to make well made tutorial videos with narrations. You could make them like DumbGameDev did.
    Do you have any good ideas to make tutorial videos with narrations? Definately I'll make them or get them made.

26. l21zxib8tr0f33v3

l21zxib8tr0f33v3

It'd really help getting more people to do videos on Umodeler I'd love to see some more Umodeler content out there, I think it'd really help.

As I've mentioned in PMs I'd gladly make some UModeler tutorials for you.

I have a few basic video ideas like introducing people to the UModeler interface interface and maybe making a video about UModeler VS Probuilder, which I think is a comparison that could really help people see how much more powerful UModeler is. I could also make some videos like DumbGameDev did where I walk people through making some basic assets with UModeler, so they can kinda get the hang of it better.

I'd also be willing to do any other types of videos you or any of the community had in mind.

UModeler likes this.
  27. UModeler

UModeler

Great! If you made them, lots of people as well as I would really appreciate it.
    Yes, that's a good idea. Actually I've been making a few videos about UModeler vs ProBuilder to use them for promotion during the sales. But they don't have narrations. If you made the comparison videos with your voice, they would be able to convince many probuilder users.
    Wow, It sounds great. I've left PM to make more progress. Thank you!

l21zxib8tr0f33v3 likes this.
  28. Loards

Loards

Hi! im not sure if anyone else have had this problem, but from a couple of days ago i started having problems with the UVS of the umodeler assets. Suddenly all the assets have wrong UV2 channel, and it doesn't matter that it create the second channel for all of them using the umodeler tool, the warning is still there and lightmaps look wrong.

upload_2019-11-21_17-17-59.png

upload_2019-11-21_17-19-1.png

It just started.

29. UModeler

UModeler

Okay, when this issue happens again let me know. Thank you for reporting!

30. UModeler

UModeler

Does every UModeler with lightmaps have the warning? Doesn't [Refreah All] fix this? It seems that the default packMargin value used for computing lightmaps caused this issue. Have you probably found out the cause?

31. Loards

Loards

Almost every Umodeler has the warning, and no, Refresh all or Make UV2 options are not fixing the issue, i been using Bakery solution for lightmaps, but suddenly the LM was all wrong, i thought that was bakery problem, so i removed it and started using progressive, doing this is when the UV2 error appeared in all the assets and progressive gives the same wrong results due to this.

Im going crazy right now, TBH

EDIT: Ok, apparently, using a low resolution in the lightmaps cause the error, which is weird that using a low resolution, gives a UV2 overlap issue. The Texels are overlapping, but not the uvs. increasing the resolution (i was using 10) to 30 fixed the problem, but now im working with 130MB of lightmaps instead of 15mb.

EDIT 2: well it wasn't, the LM texel resolution, the error still appear.

Here are the UV2 of one mesh in the LM inspector upload_2019-11-22_13-22-2.png

And this is the UV overlap image, you can see that there is no UV overlap but Texel "overlap"

Also i found this.
    http://www.procore3d.com/forum/topic/2579-there-are-x-objects-in-the-scene-with-overlapping-uv

And this, apparently as you said, its due to margin packing and Padding.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/probuilder-2-9-8f3-this-gameobject-has-overlapping-uvs.533490/

Edit 3:
    Ok...

https://forum.unity.com/threads/progressive-gpu-lightmapper-preview.561103/page-2#post-3754222

upload_2019-11-22_13-22-52.png

The pink area is a light, and as you can see, is giving some crappy results.

The thing is that there are sti

This also happened to me a couple of times too.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    UModeler likes this.
  32. UModeler

UModeler

33. UModeler

UModeler

This light map issue seems to be able to be fixed by adjusting pack margin to over 40. Therefore I'll add UIs for Lightmap settings like Hard Angle, Pack Margin, Angle Error and Area Error as shown in https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LightingGiUvs-GeneratingLightmappingUVs.html.
    Do you probably know how it happened?

34. Loards

Loards

Yea, it looks like it, basically unity is a hot mess right now.

No, i'm not sure what triggered that weird issue, it it didn't happen since.

35. Loards

Loards

Today i discovered that the "refresh all" button is not working properly, (or at least for what i think it does) I activated the "dont save on build" in all the assets since i don't need to edit them in runtime, and doing that broke the lightmaps of everything, when i hit the "refresh all" button, the lightmaps are not being fixed, but if i go to every mesh individually and hit the "Generate UV2 Channel" then the lightmap is fixed, but obviously i'm not going to go to 300+ mesh one by one to refresh de UV2 channel.

This error is appearing in the console
    upload_2019-11-26_13-6-4.png

Also it seems that "refresh all" it's not going through all the scenes loaded, only some and without a clear reason why. It would help to have a more clear description of the use of the option.

Also 2: Some assets got their "Contribute GI" option deactivated for some reason, they have their LM and UV2 but the option got deactivated after the "dont save on build", this happens randomly, but mainly after loading a scene, either on editor or on game.

Also3: sometimes after loading a scene, everything in there no longer exist (Using umodeler), you can see the mesh renderer with a mesh assigned, but the mesh is empty. Basically Modeler is erasing whole scenes, reverting the change to a previous state with source control is the only solution.

It's incredibly exhausting to be "finding" that you have missing meshes.... for no clear reason. My best guess is the "dons save on build" option. EDIT: i can confirm this, having the "no save on build" option active in the meshes, causes Lightmaps to be broken on play, meshes to disappear without any reason.

Sadly, Umodeler its not production ready, it's really unstable

upload_2019-11-26_13-3-18.png

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  36. UModeler

UModeler

Thank you for reporting these bugs. You've been using UModeler very intensively with lightmaps. Actually I haven't used it like you did so I think this is the best chances to make UModeler much more stable. I really want UModeler to help your project. I'll concentrate on fixing these bugs from now. In order to do that I need your help. I'll ask you while dealing with them.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  37. l21zxib8tr0f33v3

l21zxib8tr0f33v3

Hello! I'm having an issue with UModeler Lightmaps as well it seems.
    Lighting logic does not work as expected.

Placing 2 Point Lights across from each other underneath a staircase, one orange, one blue.
    2-pointLightsNoLightmaps.png
    The above is an image of the Raw Scene with no light-data baked.

Using the Enlighten engine, the lightmap doesn't seem to be configured correctly. The lighting doesn't make any sense and is scattered around the entire inside of the building. Lighting showing up where it clearly should not be.
    2-pointlightsEnlighten.png The above image is an example using the Enlighten Lighting Method in UModeler

2-pointLightsEnlightenProbuilder.png
    The above image is the exact same model using the Enlighten Lighting Method using Probuilder. The model is the exact same, just converted to Probuilder using the "Probuilderize" tool.

Progressive CPU Lighting Method doesn't work much at all, only showing light at the top face of the area light should be effecting.
    2-pointLightsProgressive.png The above image is an example Using Progressive CPU In UModeler.

2-pointLightsProgressiveProbuilder.png
    The above image is the exact same model using the Progressive CPU Lighting Method using Probuilder. The model is the exact same, just converted to Probuilder using the "Probuilderize" tool.

I'm using Unity 2018.4.12f1
    I don't like migrating to the latest version of Unity every time a new version comes out, usually I wait until a new feature that I could personally use comes out. Because Unity Updates almost always break my projects and I'd rather not break my projects if the new version of Unity doesn't add anything that I personally could use.

38. UModeler

UModeler

I've sent you an email with UModeler 2.6.21 beta package because your situation seems urgent due to those issues. I expect this new version of UModeler will fix most of the bugs you reported.

39. UModeler

UModeler

Could you try it out again after deleting UModeler component and check out the result? It would be good if you sent me the scene file so that I could test it out.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  40. l21zxib8tr0f33v3

l21zxib8tr0f33v3

Removing the UModeler component fixed my issue. Is there a reason for this behavior?

41. UModeler

UModeler

I think this also would be solved by generating UV2 in Local Settings instead of removing UModeler component.
    See here - https://umodeler.github.io/MiscGroup/LocalSettingsTool.html

42. l21zxib8tr0f33v3

l21zxib8tr0f33v3

UModeler likes this.
  43. combatsheep

combatsheep

Hi.

Does UModeler work on iMac(macOS 10.14.6, Unity2019.2.10f1) with 2buttons mouse and hotkeys?
    I'm worried about the comments in the review.

"And Unfortunately I've not considered supporting MAC interface especially a one-button mouse. I'll try to make UModeler support MAC in the future."

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  44. UModeler

UModeler

Hi combatsheep,

UModeler uses only LMB except for adjusting the slice number in loopslice tool which can also be done by typing the number in the inspector so what type of mouse is used doesn't matter. But a few tools of UModeler needs holding CTRL but MAC doesn't have it. Instead it has Cmd. I'll get ctrl key to be replaced with cmd on MAC in the upcoming update.

Thank you for the interest in UModeler.

combatsheep likes this.
  45. combatsheep

combatsheep

Hi UModeler,
    Thank you for detailed replying!;)

And I purchased it.:cool:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    UModeler likes this.
  46. UModeler

UModeler

Loards and combatsheep like this.
  47. UModeler

UModeler

48. UModeler

UModeler

Hello guys,
    I'm very pleased to announce that we have tutorial videos for beginners.
    These videos have been made by @l21zxib8tr0f33v3. They are easy to follow and you will be able to get used to UModeler smoothly with them.
    He said more videos would be made in the future when he have time.
    @l21zxib8tr0f33v3, Thank you very much for making these videos!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    combatsheep and l21zxib8tr0f33v3 like this.
  49. l21zxib8tr0f33v3

l21zxib8tr0f33v3

No problem, I hope everyone can enjoy them, it's been a little while since I've done things like this so I'm a little bit rusty. I did my best to remove background noise in these videos, but my wife and cat can get a little noisy sometimes, so if you hear anything out of place in the background that's what that is. I think I mostly got rid of it though.
    I hope everyone enjoys these tutorials and the ones that will come after it and if any of you have any suggestions for future tutorials feel free to send me a message here on Unity Forums.

UModeler likes this.
  50. UModeler

UModeler

@l21zxib8tr0f33v3, Here is a new request which came from your first tutorial video. It seems like this guy likes the new tutorial videos a lot. In the future it would be good to cover how to do UV mapping :)
    This is an another comment from here. ;)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    combatsheep and l21zxib8tr0f33v3 like this.