Search Unity

[Released] UModeler X : Model, Rig, Paint and AI-Texture within Unity [Unity VSP]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UModeler, Mar 23, 2017.

1. UModeler

UModeler

Hi,
    Thank you for the feature requests.

Yep, These two things would be the good features. I've add them to the future feature list of UModeler.

I think the rest of the feature requests are already implemented in UModeler as below.
    After UModelerizing the existing mesh you can modify it with UModeler.
    - https://umodeler.github.io/menu.html#umodelerize

Various custom shapes can be made using Drawing Tools and Primitive Shapes Tools.
    - https://umodeler.github.io/DrawingGroup/index.html
    - https://umodeler.github.io/PrimitiveShapesGroup/index.html

UModeler already has the inset tool similar to the offset tool in Sketchup.
    - https://umodeler.github.io/AddGroup/InsetTool.html

2. UModeler

UModeler

Hotfixupdate.jpg

Some bugs reported in Discord have been fixed in UModeler 2.6.12 which is available. Check out below to know what have been fixed.

Version 2.6.12
    Hotfix : Select All Tool - Fix bug where vertex overlays aren’t updated when selecting all vertices using Select All Tool.
    Hotfix : Line Tool - Fix bug where a line couldn’t cut a polygon when the umodeler object is too large.

Here is the release note.

3. EvilGremlin

EvilGremlin

Is there no grid system like Progrids for Umodeler? I can't snap a vertex on a grid? It has to just be random and then adjusted manually afterwards? Without this feature it will be very tedious to make modular components that fit together with Umodeler.

4. UModeler

UModeler

Hotfixupdate_2.6.13.jpg
    2.6.13_umodelerize.jpg
    I found out some bugs investigating a umodelerization issue and fixed them in UModeler 2.6.13 which is available. Most of them are related to a bigger scaled UModeler mesh as well as UModelerization. See more details below.

Version 2.6.13 - Aug.2.2019

Hotfix : BoxTool - Fixed one click build bug where unnecessary polygons were created.
    Hotfix : Fixed bug where Global/Local Overlay size and location are wrong when a mesh is translated/roatated/scaled.
    Hotfix : Fixed missing UVs after UModelerization.
    Hotfix : Fixed wrong outline of a scaled mesh.
    Hotfix : Fixed black polygons appearance after UModelerization due to the wrong calculation of the plane normal.

5. UModeler

UModeler

Hi EvilGremlin
    That's a good point. Actually I plan to implement it in UModeler 2.7 which starts to be implemented soon.

tcmeric and EvilGremlin like this.
  6. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

Hi, so far I really like UModeler, but am having a small problem with applying a material to a model.

The material is broken among the polygons and not applied as a group. I've set all of the polygons as a group and the texture looks ok when I reset the UVs, but if I scale the texture it does the above in the image. Is there any way to set the grouped polygons as a whole? Probuilder can do it so I figured that UM could do it too, but I can't figure it out.

7. UModeler

UModeler

Hi Willbkool_FPCS
    This issue arises due to the different pivot location of each polygon. The pivot location is usually a center of each polygon in UModeler. In order to resolve this issue the pivot point has to be the center of the selected polygons when you scale UVs. I'll handle this issue as a top priority.
    Thank you for reporting this.

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  8. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

Good to hear. I don't want to go back to using Pro-Builder. :D

9. Zeffi

Zeffi

Thanks again for all the updates. They do help a lot and keep making this tool quite good (even for silly people like me that ask questions I really should know better to)!

I'm mostly posting for an observation, not sure if this is something on your radar but if not, it might help:
    I ran into trouble with seconds-long lagspikes lately, in the following scenario:

-I have a room created out of modular UModeler objects that still have the script (about 150-200 a room - each is about 4x4 units and the rooms are up to 25x25x25 Units in size, nothing that should cause too much trouble by itself)
    -I enable the room for the first time (All rooms are disabled until I need them, and get disabled when I don't)
    -> The game freezes for 2-6 seconds

The objects have no other scripts on them, just colliders.

The profiler identified the garbage collector and UModeler.Start() as the causes.
    I then added a quick foreach (Umodeler um in GetComponentsInChilden) -> disable to the parent object of each room in its initialization (which happens at project start, I like scripts having all the values before I call on them ingame), and the problem vanished instantly, with no harm to the project.

I suppose the scripts still do something when they first get activated, even when the object is not instantiated per script. Might be good to know, especially for other people that might run into weird garbage collector issues when umodeler objects are involved - Start() of the script seems to cause a not insignificant amount of GC the first time the object gets activated.

10. UModeler

UModeler

Hotfixupdate_2.6.14.jpg

UModeler 2.6.14 has been released for hotfixes. Here are the release note.

Hotfix : Fixed a bug where some error messages are thrown when an empty UModeler object exists in a level. The error message said about UV generation.

Hotfix : Fixed a bug where each polygons has its own UV rotation/scale pivot point. Now the UV center of the selected polygons is a pivot location.

Refactoring : UModeler.active is replaced with UMContext.activeModeler

@Willbkool_FPCS - Please test the UV scale and rotation with this version.

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  11. UModeler

UModeler

Hello Zeffi,

UModeler.Start() calls UModeler.Build() function to create a mesh in MeshFilter component out of the UModeler data. It could cause some lag depending on the complexity of the meshes and the number of polygon and vertex. How many are UModeler objects in the level? How many polygons does each UModeler mesh have on average?

The following two ways could help you avoid such a freeze.
    • Remove all of UModeler components when you don't need to edit it
    Or
    • Check Don't Save In Build toggle in Local Settings tool as below. It will exclude UModeler component in build.
    bandicam 2019-08-08 02-13-50-860.jpg
    I'll investigate more to resolve this issue. Thank you for your report.

12. Loards

Loards

Hi! i just started using this tool because pro builder sucks, but im having a hard time with several issues.

Every time i hit play, light maps are broken in a lot of meshes, i hit generate lightmap uv2, get fixed and again on play are broken.
    there is a weird problem with GI where the bounce lighting is pink and this started once i changed the pro builder assets to Umodeling.
    The Option "dont save in build" gets disabled by itself in some meshes and need to be re enabled, also i noted that the asset with broken light maps, are the ones with this option disabled i can confirm it. i think that having this option enabled by default would be really usefull and time saving.

Even tho, i like the tool, its faster and more reliable in many other specs.

thanks.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  13. Willbkool_FPCS

Willbkool_FPCS

@UModeler I have tried the update and now, at least so far, it's working perfectly. Thanks!!!!

UModeler likes this.
  14. Zeffi

Zeffi

100-200 tris per Model, with about 100-200 per room that get activated at a time. It works entirely fine without the scripts, it's just causing issues with it (so the "don't save on build" works fine once I actually create a build and don't just run it in play mode).

One reason to post was just to have it searchable as a solution if somebody else stumbles over this - umodeler is great to make modular pieces like this, after all, so it's probably going to happen to someone else!

Easier to know "oh, it's that" rather than spend a lot of time trying to find out what's going on :) I expected the spikes to be caused by code errors originally.

Anyway, thanks again for prompt responses and support. Great tool, great tool maker :)

15. UModeler

UModeler

Hi Loards,
    I'm glad to hear that you like UModeler :)
    As for lightmap issue did you make sure that "Lightmap static" is on in Local Settings?

16. UModeler

UModeler

Hi Zeffi

I get to be sure that this causes by calling UModeler.Build() in UModeler.Start(). The reason that UModeler.Build() was added to UModeler.Start() is that instantiated a UModeler prefab at runtime hadn't been rendered immediately without calling UModeler.Build() function but I didn't think that it would cause the performance issue like this.

One solution occurred to me. I will add "Build in Start()" option to Local Settings. You could turn it off when you don't need to instantiate UModeler object. I think this will resolve this issue.

I'll work on this soon.

17. Loards

Loards

Hi! yes, is active in the local settings as i said the common setting that all the assets with broken lightmaps was the "dont save in build" setting inactive.

Now, the Light map setting, what happen when a dynamic asset have this setting active? i mean, what is the relation or the need of this setting?

Also, i just noted that when you close and re open a scene, the "dont save on build " check i disabled again and that causes the lighmaps to be broken not only on Play mode, but also as soon as you select an asset.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  18. UModeler

UModeler

"Don't save in Build" is only valid to the build version. It doesn't affect the edit and play mode in editor. The UModeler component with "Don't save in build" enabled will be excluded in Build so whatever it is, UModeler component is always included on Play and Edit mode in Editor.
    Would you read the following description on how to solve the broken lightmap issue ?
    https://umodeler.github.io/FAQ.html#q-broken-lightmaps
    Dynamic asset must not have "Lightmap Static" active because the lightmap is just effective to static assets.

19. Loards

Loards

I already saw the FAQ, but every time i open the scene and click on an Umodeller object, the light maps breaks, i can click every time that happens the "generate uv2" button to fix it, but after some time or after closing and opening the scene again, the light maps breaks again after selecting a mesh or pressing Play, its more than anything a annoying small problem.

EDIT> The vertex paint tool also breaks the light maps.

Gif attached

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  20. UModeler

UModeler

What version of unity are you using? By the way your work looks impressive.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  21. Loards

Loards

Hi ! thank you! haha.

We tested this behavior in unity 2019.1 and in unity 2019.2.

btw if you are interested our game is www.bitupgame.com :D

22. tcmeric

tcmeric

Hi, looks like I am having some light mapping/ uv issues with the latest version.
    2018.4, using enlighten. Everything is set to lightmap static. All lights are set to baked. No real-time lights. I made sure to generate UVs. Using standard shader.

I cannot figure out what is causing it. Even if I click on an object, the lightmapping will change. If I use bakery, also having the same issues (as well, bakery also gives me warning the UVs are incorrect).

I tried with objects as prefabs, and also unpacked the prefabs. Still getting strange results. I made a video about it. I was planning only to show a 1 minute video, but everytime I changed something, it got even more weird!

Please have a look and let me know.

23. UModeler

UModeler

I'll look into the lightmap issues and get back to answer them soon. Thank you for reporting.

tcmeric likes this.
  24. Loards

Loards

thank you, as aditional info, i just realized that the broken lightmaps is because the lightmap texture is beign assigned as a "whole", here an image

this is a huge background wall, which have the Light map problem, but if i get closer we see that the light map texture is actually assigned as a tiled texture across the whole mesh and not as it should.

Also happens when using the vertex paint tool

Also, i found that if you use polybrush tool, causes the Lightmaps to break too.

I hope this info helps to track the issue.

best.

upload_2019-8-14_15-0-15.png

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  25. UModeler

UModeler

I've tested the lightmap generation code and I've found out the cause you mentioned. This bug caused by not updating lightmap rightly after scene loading. As a workaround this can be solved by selecting "Refresh All" in the menu every time it happens. I'll fix that soon so that you won't need to refresh all.

I haven't reproduced the lightmap issue with tiled textures as below. Tiled texture doesn't seem to do with the lightmap issue. Haven't you try to press "Refresh All" in the UModeler menu?
    bandicam 2019-08-17 16-32-44-390.jpg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  26. Dom3D

Dom3D

- bug: Settings - Scene Menu rendering / interactions don't work properly if there are multiple scene view windows visible in the Unity Editor UI
    - bug: 'Misc' foldout button renders on the same line as the 'material' row when in unfolded state

- wish list item: ability to enter / modify coordinates directly (by numbers) for a sub element (especially for verts and also respecting the global/local coord sys toogle from Unity)
    - wish list item: target weld (vert, edge, face) [e.g. drag to edge to edge and have them merge into one ]
    - wish list item: more overlay options, e.g. display angle(s)
    - wish list item: edge move / slide variation that doesn't try to preserve distance, so you can slide an edge white verts on connected edges remain in their positions

UModeler likes this.
  27. Tech-Labs

Tech-Labs

Hi,
    Is it correct that I cannot control position and rotation of UV maps by entering the actual numbers? Or did I miss something?
    Sometimes you really need to straighten a particular uv polygon or island and doing it using the gizmos doesn't give you the accuracy you need.
    I recently bought UModeler (been using ProBuilder until then - even from before it was bought by Unity), but I like the stability and some of the additional option of UModeler a lot! Great work!!

Cheers

Marco

UModeler likes this.
  28. Loards

Loards

That great! thank you, i will wait for that fix because the refresh all option its realy a time wasting work around, what im doing is delete completely the light maps in order to work without problems, because this happens every time i select an object, or try to do vertex paint or hit play or assign a material.

Also, some times selecting a mesh make it disappear completely until the refresh all is pressed.

Thank you!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    UModeler likes this.
  29. BasicallyGames

BasicallyGames

I'm having an issue with the latest update. When I update to version 2.6.14, the Umodeler scripts break on all of my Umodels. The script shows as "Missing (Mono Script)" in the inspector, with a warning that states "The associated script can not be loaded. Please fix any compiler errors and assign a valid script." I'm updating from Umodeler 2.6.13. I've tried upgrading in both Unity 2019.1.13f and 2019.2.0f, and the issue occurs in both.

30. tcmeric

tcmeric

@BasicallyGames , do you have any other compiler errors? If so, share them?

31. UModeler

UModeler

Hi Marco,
    Sadly there aren't any UIs to enter numbers to move or rotate UVs but if your goal is to straightening UVs, why don't you trying to use Alignment Tools? That will help it. See here - https://umodeler.github.io/UVEditor/AlignmentGroup/AlignWithLine.html
    Your words make me feel like keeping working on UModeler :) Thank you!

32. UModeler

UModeler

Thank you for your feedback!

33. UModeler

UModeler

That's weird. Would you try to downgrade UModeler from 2.6.14 to 2.6.13 in Unity 2019.1 or 2019.2 and save the scene and then update UModeler again?

34. in2sight

in2sight

Hi,
    I have a big architectural model with a lot of umodeler components in it.

My game should not include any of the umodeler scripts. I am still confused how to do that. How can I export the whole 3d model without all the umodeler scripts in it? Is there a batch export?

Best regards
    Thomas

35. UModeler

UModeler

Hi Thomas,
    You can exclude UModeler components in build by toggling off Don't Save In Build in Local Settings. If this's on, UModeler component is still there in Editor but it doesn't exist in your game build. You can turn it on or off in a batch. See this document - https://umodeler.github.io/MiscGroup/LocalSettingsTool.html
    Or you should remove all UModeler components in manual after selecting the objects with them.

36. Loards

Loards

Hi!

Today while we where working we found out another bug, this one is regarding Umodeler and prefabs.

We have a prefab composed of several Umodeler assets, when opening the prefab to edit the assets, all the assets are invisible and the only way to make them visible is selecting one by one, just selecting does the trick. The refresh all button in this bug does nothing.

Thanks!

37. AlanPT

AlanPT

Hi, I'm having the same UV problem as Loards and tsmeric. When it happens (after clicking on something else) I delete the UV map remake the UV, and then 'refresh all' to solve the problem.
    I love this tool.

38. Tech-Labs

Tech-Labs

Hi again,

Just a small issue I found when merging multiple objects.
    I have 7 boxes that make up 1 wall. All UModeler Objects.
    When I select all 7 objects and choose Combine only four of the seven are combined. I need to repeat the process with the newly combine object and the three that were not taken along. Then I'm left with two objects. The twice combined one and still one more single object. At the third try I finally have the one and single object I was after.

Not really a breaking issue, but more a nuisance.

39. UModeler

UModeler

Hello guys,
    UModeler 2.6.15 has been released today. This update includes the fix of the lightmap issue you mentioned. I hope that bug is fixed with the update. But if you find that the lightmap issue is still there, please let me know.

AlanPT likes this.
  40. UModeler

UModeler

Hi Zeffi.
    With 2.6.15 "Builds a mesh in Start()" has been added newly to Local Settings tool in this update so you can avoid the lag situation happening in Start() by toggling it off.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  41. UModeler

UModeler

I'll look into a prefab with UModeler objects. Thank you for reporting it.

42. UModeler

UModeler

I'll check and fix it soon. Thank you!

43. Tech-Labs

Tech-Labs

I'm currently just building a simple house using just boxes in UModeler.
    I've created a basic default HDRP setup in Unity (create a HDRP asset, link it to the project, use the Analysis tool to fix all issue).
    Whatever UModeler object I select begins to flicker. So the selection lines around the object and the subtle shading of the selected object al flicker at about 1Hz.
    The effect is only visible when selecting the whole object (so not faces, edges or vertices). It makes editing really annoying :).
    Not sure if this is just with the HDRP pipeline active.

44. UModeler

UModeler

Okay, I'll look into it after finishing what I have been working on. It will take a couple of days to start. Thank you for reporting it!

45. UModeler

UModeler

Hotfixupdate_2.6.15.jpg

UModeler 2.6.15 for hot fixes was released on last week so now it's available. The changes are as follows.
    • Hotfix : Fixed broken lightmap happening when selecting umodeler object or loading a scene etc.
    • Hotfix : Added "Builds a mesh in Start()" to Local settings to solve lags when there are lots of umodeler object in a scene.
    >> https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/modeling/umodeler-80868

Loards, Willbkool_FPCS and tcmeric like this.
  46. Tech-Labs

Tech-Labs

Hi,
    I've just imported a really simple model (Sketchup testing) and wanted to convert the GameObjects in this object to use UModeler. So I selected an object and did UModelerize (also tried Hierarchically). Nothing happens. The UModeler script is not attached. I tried this with the object still inside the instantiated prefab and with a duplicate of one object pulled out of the prefab.

I've included the error message Unity generates (screen shot).

I've created a fresh 3D project. Added an HDRP asset and dropped it into the project properties. Then used the HDRP Analysis tool to fix all the settings for HDRP. Then dragged in a default scene object for HDRP. Turned off the Post Processing, but left the Render Settings to its defaults.
    I ran a default Lighting to baked lightmaps, then tried this UModelerize.

Then I added a default first UModeler object (New UModeler object) and now the UModelerize does work. So it seems that UModeler needs to initialize first at least once, before being able to access any other UModeler tools.

So it's not a very serious issue, but might be solvable to make it a bit easier in those cases.

Question 2: Would it be possible for you to add a permanent in-scene menu like Probuilder has. So once the package is loaded into your project, the icons on the top of the scene view are always present (perhaps contrallable via settings?) so creating a new model requires only one mouse click in the scene view instead of going through the menu.

Cheers!

Marco

Attached Files:

47. Loards

Loards

Hi Thanks for the update, im testing and the first impression is that the lag or freezes are gone when selecting a mesh, im jet to test the Lightmap issue, ill keep you updated.

EDIT: For the lighmapping part, most of the problems are solved, but still, some meshes are loosing their lighmap entering on play mode, the "refresh all" fixes that, but its a problem since only happens entering into play mode. Leaving play mode keeps the light maps problem in those meshes. Also some meshes seems to be fixed randomly by selecting them and then pressing CTRL+Z.

EDIT: The assets taht have unfixable Lightmap problems, get fixed as soon as checking the "dont save in build" option, but as soon as you go onto play mode or pres the "refresh all" button, they break again.

Also, reloading or opening the scenes are breaking the light mas and that errors is unfix-able, the lights need to be baked again.

Also, some assets still become invisible when selected and only can be fixed if the "refresh all " button is pressed, the invisible asset indicate a warning about the mesh not having vertices to be displayed.

Something that started to happen is that some faces are loosing their materials, they are just transparent, applying the material to the face again seem to fix the problem, but as soon as you deselect the mesh, those faces become invisible again, also the invisible faces seems to be impossible to erase or when erased, the face appear with material again, but is gone as soon as the mesh is deselected, its really a weird behavior.

Also, im using the "save" mesh option, to have the copy of the mesh in a .asset inside the unity project, but apparently even when the mesh says that is already saved, the connection seems to be broken, if i click into the mesh in the "mesh filter component" nothing happens, the mesh is not selected in the project panel. but the mesh exist and i can see it correctly.

Also, im not sure of the use of " Build a mesh in start()" function and the difference with the "dont save inn build " setting.

Request, do not triangulate the assets when "Umodelerize" also, an option like probuilder to strip from every asset the umodeler component.

Best.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  48. UModeler

UModeler

Hello Marco.

Now I have been dealing with the issues you gave and most of them have been fixed in my local version. I put comments to let you know about the progress.

Fixed. This was because UModeler engine instance wasn't initialized rightly at the timing when you select UModelerize. As you mentioned the instance was initialized only when you select UModeler object or create it after UModeler package is loaded.

Yes, I think this is a good idea so I've made the system tool bar icons visible all the time. Of course you can disable it by toggling off "Keep System Toolbar on always" in Preference window.

I found that the codes regarding combining multiple objects have some logical errors so I've fixed it.

I installed HDRP package and created a HDRP asset and assigned it to Scriptable Render Pipeline Settings in Project Settings/Graphics. Suddenly the default grid material of UModeler gets invalid as below. But I haven't found any flickering issue. Does that happen only when using Analysis tool? If so, how should I do to use the tool?
    bandicam 2019-09-06 00-49-53-373.jpg

Best regards

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  49. UModeler

UModeler

I've sent you a message to deal with these issues effectively.

The reason I added it is because of disabling to build a UModeler mesh to update the MeshFilter mesh when UModeler component is initialized in play mode. It guaranteed UModeler meshfilter mesh was up to date but it spoiled lightmap uv so it was enabled only when "Lightmap Static" is off. But it sometime caused a performance issues when lots of umodeler objects are in a scene. So "don't save in build" was added to 2.6.15. But now I think Building a UModeler mesh isn't needed anymore when being initialized because if you want to build a UModeler mesh at runtime you can do it by calling UModeler.Builder() function in script. Anyway you may be hard to understand what I said. forget it. Just remember this. "Build a mesh in start()" isn't necessary anymore so it will be removed in the upcoming update.

UModeler doesn't triangulate an asset when UModelerizing because original meshes consist of triangles.

50. UModeler

UModeler

Hotfixupdate_2.6.16.jpg
    UModeler 2.6.16 is available. The details of these changes are as below.

Hotfix : Broken lightmap issues when opening a scene or entering play mode
    Hotfix : Fix bug where multiple UModeler objects aren’t combined using Combine tool as expected.
    Hotfix : Fix bug where UModelerlizie doesn’t work just after UModeler package is loaded.
    Hotfix : Removed “Builds a mesh in Start()” from Local Settings and got rid of calling Build() method in Start() method.
    Enhancement : Keeps the system menu(New UModeler, Settings and 3D cursor icons) visible on the scene view even when no UModeler objects aren’t selected. Thank you BitUp for testing 2.6.16 before the releasing.

Thank you @Loards for testing 2.6.16 before the releasing.

AlanPT, Loards and ftejada like this.