Search Unity

[Released] UModeler X : Model, Rig, Paint and AI-Texture within Unity [Unity VSP]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UModeler, Mar 23, 2017.

1. UModeler

UModeler

UModeler Pro 1.0.3 has been released.
    You can check out what is fixed and improved in https://umodeler.github.io/releasenotes_UModeler_2017.html
    These features have been added in this update.

Close property in Arc tool
    UModeler_ArcTool.jpg

Corner Length property in Rectangle tool for rounded corners.

Combine tool for vertices has been improved so that the vertices can be welded without leaving Combine tool.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    zenGarden and shikhrr like this.
  2. shikhrr

shikhrr

Wow, that was quick.

3. zenGarden

zenGarden

For real time game assets, or low poly versions, it coud be usefull to have a parameter to tell how many vertices we want for the corner when using it (like Arc and Disk tools).

4. shikhrr

shikhrr

I just tested both the features, they work perfectly.

UModeler likes this.
  5. UModeler

UModeler

That's a good point. Adding Segment property to adjust how many edges will be used has queued for the next update.

zenGarden likes this.
  6. shikhrr

shikhrr

Hi Tripolygon

Can you add a linear repeater or grid repeater for a model. Currently it is possible by duplicating objects and placing. A grid/ linear repeater which repeats the same mesh in horizontal/vertical direction with a custom space between them will be very good. Archimatix uses these (http://www.archimatix.com/nodes/repeaters2d).

Also, I think the price of product is low. It has a lot of potential. While adding features in the future, you should increase price as well.

UModeler likes this.
  7. UModeler

UModeler

Hi shikhrr,

As for the repeater tool, I also think it would be good for UModeler to have it. Currently I've been testing archimatix, which is a great tool. Probably I'll be able to learn what repeat tool for UModeler will look like from it.

And for price I set a low price for several weeks when it was released because I wanted as many users as possible to get and try UModeler. However, the price has been planned to increase after the next month in order for me to be able to keep developing it.

Lastly I'm very happy that you recognized the potential of UModeler.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  8. rasto61

rasto61

Still have this issue. Using version 1.0.3 of pro.

I have been playing around with umodeler trying to figure out when this happens and noticed that this happens only when you have a umodeler object selected and have a vertex/edge/polygo/etc selected and press alt+left mouse button to look around. It then gets stuck at the drag to rotate eye cursor, and the only way to escape this is to restart unity.

Could you please have a look at this? This is quite a deal breaker. Otherwise when this is not happening umodeler is a pleasure to use, and likely one of the best modeling tools on the asset store.

Additionally, I have a small request. Would you be able to add alignment indicators when drawing poly lines (show a dotted line when the cursor is aligned on an axis with another placed vertex)?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  9. shikhrr

shikhrr

Having alignment indicators would be very good. I am thinking of a feature similar to Adobe Photoshop smart guides.

10. shikhrr

shikhrr

Hi Tripolygon

Sometimes, push and pull does not work or is very slow for complex meshes. For me, the performance of push and pull seems to decrease with complexity. Right now I create multiple umodeler objects to handle this. Creating multiple faces with line tool and using push and pull is slow or unresponsive sometimes.

11. zenGarden

zenGarden

Can you post a screenshot of your model and face you push pull ?

12. UModeler

UModeler

Hello rasto61,

This bug has been fixed today. The new version including the bug fix will be released soon because it has been submitted to be reviewed by the asset store.

Thank you!

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  13. UModeler

UModeler

Hi shikhrr
    You can see "Border Test" property below in the inspector when push/pull tool is enabled. Turn it off then the performance will increase.
    UModeler_PushPull_BorderTest.gif

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  14. coverpage

coverpage

Somehow I think my post didn't go though yesterday or was deleted in the maintenance. I am using unity 5.5.3. I am unable to use the material tool. I select the faces and assign material ID which correspond to a material in the mesh renderer's material list. But the problem is when I change the material in the list, it revert back to the default umodeler grid material. It does this immediately after I select another material. Can you check if you can recreate this is 5.5.3

15. UModeler

UModeler

Hello coverpage,

I think the behavior of the material tool you mentioned is done as expected. When you change a material in the material list, the polygons' materials assigned as the id will be changed according to that. See the below.

UModeler_material_tool.gif

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  16. coverpage

coverpage

What happen on my PC is that Element 1 will revert immediately to UModelerPro_Grid, after I select a new material.

17. UModeler

UModeler

Okay, Using 1.0.4, which will be released soon, it isn't reproduced based from my test. So we'll talk about this issue again after get tested with 1.0.4.

18. UModeler

UModeler

Did you say alignment indicators is like one in SketchUp as shown below?
    (Red dotted line to get the cursor aligned with the first point)

SketchUp_Alignment_Indicator.gif

19. rasto61

rasto61

Yes, thats what I meant.

20. shikhrr

shikhrr

Yes this is needed as well, but I was thinking in terms of Photoshop smart guides. If a have to draw two rectangles parallel to each other or make sure that that they are property aligned, then Photoshop like smart guides will be very helpful. See this video about Photoshop smart guides -
    . In the video when the circle is moved besides the text, a line is shown which indicates their top are aligned.

In the image below, when I draw the second rectangle, I want the top to aligned with the first one. This type of alignment indicator should only work for 2d shapes like rectangle and disc.

21. shikhrr

shikhrr

Thanks, It did make it fast.

22. UModeler

UModeler

Version 1.0.4 is available now.

What is fixed and improved is as follows.
    • Fix - Preferece for key setting : Wrong positions of UIs in Preference for setting up keys on Unity 5.6
    • Fix - Transform tool : Flickering gizmos in Vertex/Edge/Polygon tools when more 2 views are open.
    • Fix - Display : Incorrect vertex cubes’ size bug.
    • Fix - Combine Tool : A bug about not working the merge of co-planar polygons.
    • Fix - Gizmo : A bug about getting a gizmo locked when UModeler object exits.
    • Improvement - Transform Tool : Made the way of changing gizmo same as the way of Unity. The gizmo can be switched to another by clicking on the cursor icons as well as pressing W,E and R.

• Improvement - Rectangle Tool : Added Corner Segment property in Rectangle tool to enable to change how many edges are placed in a rounded corner.

Stardog and coverpage like this.
  23. UModeler

UModeler

I think this bug may be caused by Unity itself not UModeler because it has not been reproduced since unity was upgraded to 5.6.0p3.

If you face this issue again, press "Game Play" button on the top of Editor and then quitting play again to get out of the freeze.

24. coverpage

coverpage

Here's a video of the problem:
    http://somup.com/cbhelvVnYA

This is my second PC which runs one Window. It is the same on another Linux machine running unity 5.5.3

25. UModeler

UModeler

I've watched the video you put up and I found that you change materials in Mesh Render component.
    Can you try to set up materials in Properties not Mesh Renderer as follows?

UModeler_material_setting.png

26. coverpage

coverpage

Yes that worked! Great. This is less important but perhaps you can make the Materials menu expand automatically when "Add Material" is pressed.

I use loop slice a lot to subdivide the faces.
    • Can there be a cut tool in Maya which is like "line" but it can also projects onto the faces and cuts it: https://www.patreon.com/posts/cut-faces-tool-3023412 , there is an option on whether it cuts through the whole model, visible part only, or only selected faces.
    • Subdivide face/edge tool ("Add division" in Maya)

(first part)

I'm really enjoying this asset a lot. Thanks.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  27. rasto61

rasto61

I second this.

And perhaps change the material assigning ui slightly. Sometimes I overwrite the length of the material array instead of assigning the mat id. You could hide that away and just keep an add and remove button, and maybe a reorderable array.

28. UModeler

UModeler

I also think so.

There is Cut tool in UModeler like in Maya. See the following .gif image.
    UModeler_CutTool.gif
    The face subdivision can be implemented without many efforts but the vertex subdivision, which makes curved edges, needs some time and investigation to be added. This feature has been put into the feature queue to be added in the future.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  29. UModeler

UModeler

I also agree that Material tool needs to be improved so that materials can be added and removed and assigned more easily than how it works now. This has been put into the feature queue :)

30. UModeler

UModeler

This alignment feature looks nice so it will be put into the feature queue. I think for now this feature can be replaced with the Grid Snap, which is enabled in Settings/Snap in the inspector.

31. coverpage

coverpage

I'm still rubbish right now but rooms and simple models can be created so quickly. Very pleased. Can't wait for UV editor. :)

UModeler likes this.
  32. shikhrr

shikhrr

With a decent UV editor and Surforge, I can create all the architecture and environmental assets inside unity.

coverpage likes this.
  33. coverpage

coverpage

Yes that's something to look forward to :). I'm thinking of getting the best decimator asset in unity to create lods now that a lot of the work is in Unity.

34. UModeler

UModeler

I'm pleased to see your work. It looks nice. Keep it up :)

UV Editor is in development. Check it out below.

bandicam 2017-05-12 00-54-11-087.png
    I've succeeded in displaying polygons, drawing grid and camera navigation on a texture view. It's an initial phase but I feel like speeding up writing codes related to UV Editor whenever I see you wait for it. I'll share the progress here every time major things are implemented to motivate me and get feedback.

coverpage likes this.
  35. shikhrr

shikhrr

Thanks for the update. Just wanted to let you know about a bug. The Loop Slice does not behave the intended way sometimes. It cuts the mesh in strange way. Please see the screenshots below.

BEFORE

AFTER

Basically I created three loops along the height of the structure.The structure was created a line tool and push/pull tool, creating base shape and then extruding it. After loop slice, the faces in lower portion were missing.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  36. UModeler

UModeler

I've tried to follow the steps you mentioned to reproduce this bug. See the following gif image.

UModeler_LoopSliceTool_TryingReproduction.gif

Despite trying several times it has not been reproduced. Does it have something missed?

37. shikhrr

shikhrr

I think nothing is missing, you have done the same steps. For me it happens almost half of the time. I am using the latest version of umodeler and my unity version is 5.6.0f3. Is there any other way to capture this problem? I have seen this behavior on rectangle tool as well. May be this is a unity problem. Could you tell me which unity version are you using?

38. UModeler

UModeler

I'm using 5.6.0p3. I was told that 5.6.0 has some problems so it is recommended that 5.6.0 should be upgraded to 5.6.0p3.
    The patch version can be downloaded in https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases

39. shikhrr

shikhrr

Ok, I will test with patch version.

40. coverpage

coverpage

Mess around with using vertex lit, low poly look instead of using pbr texture and I think it looks promising.

• I have a suggestion, if I want to create a complex model or models with moving parts, I might want to use a few uModeler objects. Is it possible to create an empty gameobject as parent by default, and have a button in the modeling menu in the inspector to "add new uModeler object" as children. And perhaps we can bake everything down as an option.

Right now I have to go into the menu to add a new uModeler object and drag it to be a child of an empty gameobject. After creating many models, this can be cumbersome.
    • I can't select many materials to change material ID by using the ctrl button. And there is a bug in assignment of material ID where I need to change the number 2 times in order to register the change. I will record this later.

I think you should introduce a painting tool to assign colors and materials if possible, right now it's rather slow.
    • I use uModeler with Octave3d and I feel that it works well together. Octave3d can do placement of the uModeler gameobject when make it the child to the Octave3d gameobject, and when we click on the umodeler gameobject you go into edit mode for uModeler.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    Mark_01 likes this.
  41. UModeler

UModeler

Hello coverpage,

I'm enjoying seeing your artworks. Did you make everything in the scene with only UModeler?

I've put answers to your questions below.
    Currently UModeler object added via [Tools]-[UModeler Pro]-[Create Modeler Object] is created under the root. I think it would be right to get new umodeler object added under the selected game object as a child as you said so this'll be implemented in 1.0.5

And new two buttons will be added to the UModeler inspector to create a game object having UModeler component as below in 1.0.5.
    bandicam 2017-05-18 01-39-01-744.png
    I'll make CTRL button work as it does on Polygon tool. The material tool will be modified so that assigning material will be easier by removing typing mat id on 1.0.5. Check it out below.
    bandicam 2017-05-18 01-46-56-787.png
    As for paint tool I think I'll be able to make it so that you will be able to paint a material or color on polygons by SHIFT + LMB Drag on 1.0.5
    I've watched an Octave3d video just right before to figure out how it works and I've concluded that the combination of UModeler and Octave3d suits well as you said. I feel like recommending the combination to others.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Mark_01 likes this.
  42. coverpage

coverpage

Thanks for all the improvements! Everything except the wires, which is done by Dreamteck, is made with uModeler.

UModeler likes this.
  43. UModeler

UModeler

UModeler_Pro_1.0.5_ScreenShot.png

This is the preview of the upcoming version of UModeler.

The former About dialogbox was tedious so it has been decided to be re-created to contain a fancy title image, some buttons for special missions and change logs etc.

UModeler Status box has changed to be more straightened up and The new Input viewer has been added to be able to capture which keys and mouse buttons are used.

Material tool has had better interfaces than before so you wouldn't need to type mat id anymore and you would be able to assign a material like you paint a mesh by SHIFT + LMB Drag.

Some unnecessary information in the inspector has been hided such as materials and Mesh Filter component etc.

And more!

The 1.0.5 version will be available soon. Stay tuned!

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    shikhrr, lundon and coverpage like this.
  44. lundon

lundon

1.05 is out and I have downloaded it. It is not clear to me how I get version 1.05's script onto an object that now has 1.04 on it. If I simply remove the old script and add the 1.05 script my asset disappears.

Edit:
    In the interim I have just exported the model out as an OBJ and then loaded it back into the scene and added the newer script. That seems to work, although I do then have to clean up the materials, since they lose their normal map connections, etc.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    UModeler likes this.
  45. UModeler

UModeler

This is an unexpected one. I've been trying to come up with a solution. I'm sorry to bother you.

46. shikhrr

shikhrr

The new material editor is really nice. It much simpler than the previous one.

UModeler likes this.
  47. UModeler

UModeler

I concluded that the broken objects caused by the upgrade to 1.0.5 have to be handled by users so I made a document to describe how to do this. Please read the document below.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1C_M8YwejCqEgie0QEt1s147jvfXKwL7cyApMXWn7bWs/edit?usp=sharing

48. UModeler

UModeler

Hello

The two updates have happened to UModeler recently.
    I think these upgrades make UModeler look more professional and more complete.
    You can check them out below or here.

1.0.6 & 1.0.5

## Improvements & Features

Improved the About dialog box.
    Added a button for object mode to the inspector
    Added two buttons for creating new object and new collider object to the UModeler inspector
    Added painting polygons in a material ID by holding SHIFT + LMB drag in Material tool
    Added painting polygons in a color by holding SHIFT + LMB drag in Material tool.
    Added Input viewer next to Status box to the scene view.
    Improved the way of displaying and setting materials in Material tool

## Fixes & Tweaks

Fixed not being able to type properties for a shortcut input in the inspector.
    Added Readme button to the About Dialog box.
    Fixed getting slow and unresponsive happening after a UModeler prefab is loaded, the GUI gets slow and unresponsive
    Scaled up and straightened up the status text on scene view
    Made Vertices/Edges/Polygons selected when LMB is up after dragging to avoid a lag.
    Made a system child object called __Modeler_Specific__ invisible.
    Made selection of several polygons by CTRL + LMB drag in Material tool.
    Fixed a bug about getting gizmos hided when multiple UModeler objects are selected
    Hided mesh filter component and materials in the inspector
    Pro has been left out so that UModeler Pro became just UModeler.
    Excluded UModeler component in game build
    Enabled to get shortcut input possible in the inspector.
    Removed Resources folder and moved all data there to UModeler folder reorganizing the folder structure.

Thank you!
    Tripolygon

49. coverpage

coverpage

Created a low poly sword in uModeler, took only half an hour. Could be even more low poly , but I'm ok with that. This tool is really fun to use.

UModeler and shikhrr like this.
  50. coverpage

coverpage

Doodled an axe in uModeler and applied some high resolution textures. Not perfect, but I'm slowly getting better.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    UModeler likes this.