Search Unity

1. Get all the Unite Berlin 2018 news on the blog.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.2 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] UModeler 2.0 : The Ultimate Modeling and Prototyping Tool in Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UModeler, Mar 23, 2017.

1. UModeler

UModeler

Do you know how to reproduce the breaking polygon simply and repeatedly? If it was figured out, this issue could be solved.

Tethys likes this.
  2. tosvus

tosvus

Hi, I have bought Umodeler, and have Surforge as well - I haven't find any specifics on how to integrate these tools with each other, even though I read multiple places they do work together.

On another note, please prioritize getting better tutorial videos. I find it hard to follow, as does many others, it seems. If you don't want to talk yourself, maybe find someone on fiverr.com to do the talking? You can usually get someone to read 150-200 words for $5. If you limit the talking to only the most necessary, it may not be too bad, and it will be very professional.

3. Tethys

Tethys

I wanted to post back about some performance issues with this tool, specifically on the Undo, which is also buggy. Not so much a complaint as a report on the issue because I like using the tool - just some issues. Using Undo causes a few bugs that slow down work and performance it seems. I work on modeling for 3-5 hour stints and these things keep showing up as I work.

1. Using undo will frequently set the object im working into freakout mode where you can no longer select faces, vertices or edges. Work around is select a different object in scene, then select the object you were working on and the bug goes away. Sometimes some real whacky visual things happen as well.

2. Using Undo often undos more than one thing. Lost work multiple times last night while cranking through some pieces, would hit Undo once on something and would lose multiple changes, sometimes pretty big edits.

3. Using Undo, or something else, overtime on an object causes massive performance lag - so much that the tool becomes unstable (click a button wait 10 seconds for a response). The only work around seems to be leaving the scene you're working on and coming back into, or maybe delete the object (after making it a prefab) and then bring it back into the scene. The performance goes back to normal until I have worked for a bit, then it goes back to really slow and unusable again. Is there something else I can do to fix this? Some setting I'm missing? I'm on a windows 10 box with 8 gig of ram and a modern i5 quad core and 1070 video card. Right now i'm working in a simple floor with rails. After a few minutes I need to exit the scene and re-enter to clear the lag, as I select a face and wait 10 seconds or more for a response while Unity freezes up.

4. Using Undo after doing certain things breaks the transform gizmo and you no longer will have one on any objects in the scene. I tried using rotate as well, no gizmo. Workaround is to make a new Unity 3d object like a cube, which makes transform gizmos work again. Also, umodeler throws an error for it. This happens a lot.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    tripolygon.UModeler.DuplicateTool.Start ()
    tripolygon.UModeler.UModelerEx.SwitchTool (tripolygon.UModeler.BaseTool tool, ESwitchOptions options)
    tripolygon.UModeler.ToolSelectionGUI.OnGUI ()
    tripolygon.UModeler.UModelerEditor.OnInspectorGUI ()
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor editor, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1229)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Enjoying all the stuff I can make with the tool, just want to report the issues so they can get resolved. Ill post some of my work when its ready later this week. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  4. UModeler

UModeler

Thank you for your purchase of UModeler. I'm definitely sure that UModeler + Surforge will accelerate your modeling a lot. But as you said it lacks of documents on how to use both of them together. I'll make it this time.
    Making tutorial videos are the top priority now so you will see them soon.

5. UModeler

UModeler

To be honest I'm really happy to have gotten your bug reports because even though it seems like you've been using UModeler intensively the number of bugs you are regarding as major issues are only 2. One is in Push/pull tool and the other is about Undo action, which seems serious. Absolutely I'll try to solve the issues to make UModeler more complete and help you work on your project.
    As for the undo issues, I think it'll need to go over the undo system for UModeler. It looks like some undo issues are caused by Unity undo problems.
    I'm looking forward to seeing your artwork made with UModeler. :)

Tethys likes this.
  6. Tethys

Tethys

Thanks man! Absolutely love the tool. I do happy dance a lot when things work out the way I want and I feel like I can work a lot faster (minus the occasional snag) than I can working in an APP outside of Unity that is huge and clunky(3ds max). I also curse a lot when I do things wrong but it comes with the job bwahahahaha! I made sure to leave you a review when I bought it months ago as well but my name is Chris in the reviews instead of Tethys. :p

coverpage and UModeler like this.
  7. UModeler

UModeler

Hello Chris, I'm pleased to know your name. I've appreciated your review. UModeler will have improved transform tools in the upcoming version which can rival ones in probuilder. The bugs you reported will also be fixed in the next of the upcoming. Stay tuned!

8. Daski

Daski

Hello,
    forgive me for not answering.

How I create prefab:
    1. I have a room object on scene
    2. I transform it to umodeler object(Umodelerize)
    3. On Misc panel I Add Collider and Assigne Mesh
    4. I take room object to Assets(make a prefab)
    5. I take prefab from Asset to scene (created new instance of prefab object).
    After that I got:
    upload_2018-7-2_20-29-12.png

object with visible walls is original object which from I created prefab.
    upload_2018-7-2_20-30-40.png

Object with edges is object created from prefab. I must click Apply on this object to get mesh.
    upload_2018-7-2_20-30-55.png

So maybe you just should use Apply on Mesh collider, but you probably know that just the grid assignment is not enough and you have to finish transaction with Apply() method.

I mean AssetDatabase.SaveAsset(); :D

Best regards,
    Dawid

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    UModeler likes this.
  9. UModeler

UModeler

Hello guys,

Now UModeler 2.1.1 has been released.

This update is super cool because it makes you it possible to extrude polygons and edges dragging LMB and holding SHIFT in Transform mode and select only visible vertices/edges/polygons from a camera. Moreover one step extrusion tool and Pulling a polygon in a vertex normal direction has been added to Multi PushPull tool. Finally exporting UV outline in UV Editor have been implemented so that you can paint textures inside the outlines using an image editor like photoshop or gimp etc.

UModeler_BasicExtrusion_In_TransformTool.gif
    Extrusion holding SHIFT in Transform Mode.

UModeler_MultiplePushPull_3types.gif
    3 types of Multi PushPull and the new helper arrow.

UModeler_MultiPushPull_Onestepextrusion.gif
    One Step Extrusion in Multi PushPull

UModeler_UVExport.jpg
    new Export tool is placed on the right

UModeler_UVExport_Result.png
    This is a exported .png file of the UV outline.

The changes are as follows.
    • Feature : Edge/Polygon Tranform - Added Extrusion fuctions holding SHIFT.
    • Enhancement : Vertex/Edge/Polygon Selection - Added Select only visible property to selects non occluded elements from a camera.
    • Enhancement : Multi PushPull - Changed a helper line to an arrow.
    • Enhancement : Multi PushPull - Added One step push/pull.
    • Enhancement : Multi PushPull - Added Vertex Normal type extrusion.
    • Tweak : Multip PushPull - Individual in PushPull type has been renamed to Individual Polygon
    • Tweak : Removed Game Object tool and Renamed Collider Object to New UModeler in Misc group.
    • Feature : UVTool - Added Export tool to export uv outlines to .png file.
    You can also check it out here.

Now I'm making a getting started video and a demo video on 2.1.1 so they will be out soon.
    One more thing I would like let you know is that I've started to make icons with 2 designers used for around 100 buttons in UModeler so you'll check them out this year!

Stay tuned.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    skipadu, Tethys, red2blue and 3 others like this.
  10. tcmeric

tcmeric

Yes! Shift extrusions are awesome! Love these updates. Thank you!

UModeler likes this.
  11. 2dgame

2dgame

Encountered 2 bugs:
    • When on object mode, snapping doesn't take effect.
    • After rotating an object the translation gizmos arrows point in a wrong direction (at least in global orientation). E.g. when you rotate a cube and translate it afterwards in object mode it will get translated correctly along the world axis but the arrows don't point that way. I'm not sure about local mode but I assume it might be off as well.
    I encountered these bugs while trying to see whether snapping on a rotated cube in local mode would snap in world space or relative to its pivot. I'm still not sure which one is the case but I think there should be the option to choose either: Snapping relative to pivot/locally and global space/default.

12. UModeler

UModeler

Hello 2dgame,

Apologies for the delays on this.

The current UModeler doesn't support an object snapping yet but I'm planning to upgrade the existing snapping function so that it'll be used globally. You'll see that soon.

I've made sure that the UModeler gizmo's global orientation is wrong in a rotated object. It has to be aligned with the world axis. And it causes a wrong picking on a gizmo. These bugs will be fixed in the upcoming update.

Thank you so much for reporting.
    tripolygon.