Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] UModeler X : Model, Rig, Paint and AI-Texture within Unity [Unity VSP]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UModeler, Mar 23, 2017.

1. UModeler

UModeler

Hello HakJak,
    I'm sorry about the inconvenience. I don't understand what makes this bug happen. I also used several materials with diffuse and normal textures to make the demo level and they worked well with UModeler objects as shown in the release trailer video. And I've tried to reproduce this bug using Standard shader on Unity 2017.3.0f3 but this bug hasn't happened to me. Did you also find that other materials didn't work? It would be really helpful to solve this issue if you sent me the scene file and the material and texture files used in the attached image.

2. HakJak

HakJak

Yup, I tried several materials and shaders. Same problem.

Also, looking very closely at the release trailer and the demo scene, it seems this problem may actually be present there as well. Bumps can be seen on the very edges of raised areas... but then it just stops; the full normal map height is not being used. Most of the materials appear flat in the video, IMO.

Here's a link with asset package to, hopefully, reproduce and demonstrate the problem effectively. Import UModeler into an empty project, then import this package after:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VwzRX2_TmC6SqJ-A_OrOIp5v4c-VkNEh

This compares UModeler mesh, UModeler .obj export/import, and standard Unity primitive cube. The difference can even be seen from a distance in this screenshot:

UModel material issue.PNG

Currently, UModeler is fantastic for greyboxing and base mesh building... but this material issue would need fixed to be used in final production. Best of luck and let me know if there's anything else I can do to help!

EDIT: I also included a different shader example, showing a shader that simply would not render correctly on a UModeler mesh, but appeared fine on the others. Maybe it will help in finding a solution.

3. lod3

lod3

Did a quick test with a UModeler cube, splitting one of its faces, and assigning two similar materials using the Standard shader, side-by-side. One material does not have normal map, while the other does. Sounds like something on your end.

normal-map.PNG

That's ProBuilder, actually. UModeler is for when you need high-fidelity geometry.

HakJak likes this.
  4. HakJak

HakJak

Thanks for doing this! I don't see what could be wrong on my end though. This was done in a plain, empty project in Unity 2017.3.0f3 with a good computer.

What version of Unity did you use for this test?

lod3 likes this.
  5. lod3

lod3

Interesting. Using 2017.2.0f3. Tried upgrading to 2017.3, but it introduced issues with a few tools, and their authors said it was Unity's fault, so I uninstalled and remained in 2017.2. Have you tried in 2017.2?

6. HakJak

HakJak

No, but I did just try Unity 5.6.3f1. Same issue occurs. I did the same test as you and got similar results. However, when applying the exact same material to the .obj version of the mesh, or a standard Unity cube, the material looks much better. Very weird!

Seems that normal maps are working partially in UModels.

Feel free to download the example file I included in the post above and let us know if you get the same results as me in 2017.2. Just install UModeler into an empty project first. It would be very helpful! :)

7. UModeler

UModeler

I've found out that UModeler is missing recalculating tangents when creating a renderable mesh so it caused the incorrect bump. I've fixed it in my local version and the fix will be included in the upcoming update soon.

Thank you so much for reporting the bug.
    UModeler_RecalculatingTangents.gif

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Mark_01 and HakJak like this.
  8. UModeler

UModeler

UModeler aims for being the best tool for greyboxing and base mesh building as well as high-fidelity geometry in Unity. ;)

HakJak and lod3 like this.
  9. lod3

lod3

Of course! Even the most basic tool like ProBuilder can greybox ;)

UModeler likes this.
  10. UModeler

UModeler

I've uploaded new tutorial videos to show how to model a bench in more details. I'm hoping this will help you to improve your UModeler skill.

Mark_01, Tethys, HakJak and 2 others like this.
  11. HakJak

HakJak

Awesome!!! This is very good news. Thank you!

I’ve been spending several hours this week comparing various modeling and level design plug-ins, trying to determine which one will be the primary for my next project. Very happy with UModeler so far.

UModeler likes this.
  12. HakJak

HakJak

Also, one quick question: what happens with the UModeler scripts during Play Mode and in a Build? Is there any overhead when the scene goes into Play mode? Even at Start / Awake()? Do the scripts affect the efficiency of the final Build in any way?

Probably dumb questions, but optimization is a huge priority for my next project so just checking. Thanks

13. UModeler

UModeler

UModeler component is excluded in building because the built game needs meshes modeled with UModeler just to be rendered. It means that UModeler never affects performance of your game.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    HakJak likes this.
  14. Tethys

Tethys

Greetings @UModeler - I finally pulled the trigger this week and picked this up. Great tool, old school 3ds max user here. Anywho, ran into a small problem. I want to be able to save my constructs out to a prefab mesh and then use in Uconstruct(model a type of wall once, export that model and make copies for various re texturing and re purposing in the modular building system we use). However, when I export my model to Prefab, it makes a prefab with no mesh in the mesh Collider or Mesh Filter area. When I drag it into the scene there is nothing to see of course. I then tried to export to OBJ but it only retained one of my 2 materials information so the material mapping was off(it assigned the first material to all faces and the second material doesn't get used), which brings me to my next question/issue (and may be related to why the next issue doesn't work).

**Edit - figured out why I couldn't edit the UV scale, rotation etc with the materials assigned to various faces.... I am using TriPlanar shaders. :p Once I went to a standard of the same shader the UV controls worked again. However, I did then encounter the bug with Normal data not showing up correctly. Its really noticeable when I switch from an Uber TriPlanar shader to Uber Standard shader. The normal all but vanishes along with the light detail on edges that come from normals working. Hes probably doing something with tangents at the shader level since its a triplanar. He does the same with his RTP terrain shader, which probably explains why it works.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  15. UModeler

UModeler

Hello Tethys,

Thank you for the purchase of UModeler. I put my answers to your questions below.
    The reason is because the renderable mesh isn't generated in the prefab. There is a workaround for this. The renderable mesh in a prefab can be created by clicking on Local Settings under Misc Group in the inspector and turning on/off Backfaces param to refresh the MeshFilter mesh.
    When you put the prefab of UModeler in a scene it looks empty but it's not. In order to visualize it you should select Tools/UModeler/Refresh All to generate the MeshFilter mesh. This prefab issue will be fixed.
    The exported .obj contains materials with only diffuse textures and Unity doesn't import it correctly. I'll investigate this.
    This issue was reported a few days ago, which is caused by missing recalculating tangents. This bug fix will be included in the upcoming update soon. See this post

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Mark_01 and Tethys like this.
  16. UModeler

UModeler

The bridge modeling video has been uploaded! You can see how to make a pipe as well as a bridge in this video.

17. UModeler

UModeler

I've added Seamless Edit mode, which will be included in the upcoming update, so that you don't need to care about selecting UModeler objects. There are three modes. The first one is Single, which is same as before. The second one is All, which enables all UModeler objects in a scene to be edited as if they are one. The third one is Group, which enables UModeler object under the same root object to be edited as if they are one. See the video below. It shows how Seamless Edit mode works. If you want more info, please click on this.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    coverpage and HakJak like this.
  18. UModeler

UModeler

Finally this snapping has been added. See the following .gif. It enables you to draw a rectangle and a right angle triangle easily with Line tool. The feature will be included in the upcoming update.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  19. UModeler

UModeler

Good news. Now UModeler 2.0.6 is available. Check out the changes here.
    • Feature : New snapping - Snap to X-axis or Y-axis of the current placed points. This makes drawing a rectangle and a right angle triangle etc possible using Line tool (See this)
    • Feature : Seamless Editing - UModeler objects in a scene can be edited seamlessly. (See this)
    • Enhancement : Edge display - Disabled showing invisible parts’ edges.
    • Fix : Added recalculating tangents (See this)
    • Fix : Z-fighting of the polygon selection mesh.

20. UModeler

UModeler

These are tutorial videos on how to model a bridge. Hopefully they'll help you to improve UModeler skill.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  21. coverpage

coverpage

Hi it's been some time since I use umodeler. I remember there was a way to combine a few faces. For example in this image I want to combine them to become a single rectangle. How do I do it?
    Capture.PNG

22. coverpage

coverpage

Ok I figured out how it works. Here's a Mushroom House made using uModeler.

Mushroom house2.PNG

Mushroom house3.PNG

23. UModeler

UModeler

Wow! It looks really cool. I'm happy to see what you did with UModeler. Keep up your good work!.

coverpage likes this.
  24. coverpage

coverpage

Thanks. All the improvements you've implemented has made uModeler really special.

UModeler likes this.
  25. UModeler

UModeler

I've uploaded videos on how to build a house. Now all videos of building objects in the small village on the water were uploaded on youtube so you can watch them here whenever you wish.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  26. Tethys

Tethys

Awesome, ty! For some reason I have had a hard time figuring out a clean easy way to make frames from cutout doorways on my buildings. :p I wanted to inset the edges, rather than the polygon. I eventually resorted to drawing the frame, by hand, on each side of the wall for the doors. :p There are always 4 ways to do something when it comes to 3d modeling.

UModeler likes this.
  27. UModeler

UModeler

Thank you! ;)
    UModeler has such a tool called Parallel which is an edge version of the Inset tool. With this you can draw a parallel line to the specified edge easily. See this document. https://umodeler.github.io/drawingtools.html#parallel-tool

The following videos showcase how to build a modern house in SketchUp ways with UModeler. I think you can probably get some ideas about how to make frames of doors and windows etc.

4 ways to make a frame? What are they apart from things mentioned above?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    coverpage and Tethys like this.
  28. Tethys

Tethys

Parallel is good but isn't the best tool for framing shapes(there isn't one yet in your app). I mean it can, but you get extra garbage you dont need when it would be much easier and quicker, like 3ds max, to just select 3 edges and say inset. In fact, your video example is great for what I mean. See that rounded doorway? If I wanted to now frame that doorway with the same exact shape, with the current tools, how? If I plan right I can make the shape of the door, then before cutting it out inset the polygon shape to get my frame, however, there is extra garbage that is created and then has to be chased down and deleted. I'll need to restitch polygons that shouldn't have teared but did (I ran into this issue and had to keep restarting due to messy results until I figured the proper workflow). If you allowed the inset tool to work with edges like it does in max, I could simply select that whole outer rounded edge, say inset by 0.2 units and call it a day - no broken or weird polygons, no time spent on chasing down extra faces or any other garbage that was generated but not needed. Its really just a convenience thing - If I always plan right ahead I can usually get by with the Polygon Inset tool to frame shapes, but it isn't always the case. To make frames around shapes, so far I have used Parallel, Rectangle tool, Polygon inset and the line tool to manually draw my frames. So yeah, 4 ways. :p Of course the more time I spend on the tool the better I will become so take my feedback with a grain of salt, I may have missed something. :) Thanks for sharing that last video on the house, good stuff. Again, love the tool. Really enjoying being able to make stuff right in Unity and how easy it is to use.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    UModeler and coverpage like this.
  29. UModeler

UModeler

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I think what you wanted to do can be done by the current inset tool easily. You can give the offset by minus scale in Inset tool so that the selected polygon will expand outward. The unnecessary parts can be removed by selected and remove it with Eraser tool. See the image below.

UModeler_Inset_Cutoutdoorway.gif

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    Tethys likes this.
  30. Tethys

Tethys

This isn't possible if the polygon has already been deleted, which was the point I was trying to make in both the review and here but I guess wasn't clear. Thats what I meant by planning - if I plan correctly of course I can use the Inset with Polygon tool(and have garbage left over to delete as I already mentioned and you just showed) - but if the poly is gone then no - there is no tool to frame it - at least not currently. If you want to come back to an odd shape you cut out earlier and frame it, very difficult without an inset EDGE tool. The inset on Edge, like Max and Maya have, fixes this issue.

UModeler likes this.
  31. UModeler

UModeler

Version 2.0.7 has been released. I've focused on improving usability. The summary about it is as follows.

The tooltip system has been improved so that users can get a grasp of each tool in Unity without visiting the manual site.

The former shortcut system was rather useless but now it's not. Setting key combination is easier than before by using check boxes for modifiers. And it works well as intended.

The color settings have been added so you can customize colors decorating the UModeler mesh. It'll make your UModeler look special.

Help and Preference buttons have been added to the inspector.
    Help button will take you to the manual website regrading the current tool. Clicking SHIFT+LMB on a tool button will do it as well.
    Clicking on Preference button will open Unity Preference window

If you want to know more, please visit https://umodeler.github.io/releasenotes_UModeler_2.0.html…

Feature : Advanced menu tooltips.
    Feature : Added Help button at the top of tools in the Inspector to show Online Manual
    Feature : Added Color settings in Preferences.
    Enhancement : Shortcut Settings in Preferences - Modifiers’ list box has been replaced with 3 toggle boxes (Shfit, Ctrl and Alt)
    Documentation : 3D Cursor Tool
    Documentation : Pivot Tool
    Documentation : Snap Tool
    Fix : Material Tool - Added codes to deal with null material.
    Fix : Error of invalid selected polygon display.

UModeler_NewAdvancedTooltips.gif

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Tethys likes this.
  32. UModeler

UModeler

I agree that there is no way to give the offset from the cutout polygon in easy ways with UModeler so I've added this to my todo list so that it'll be implemented in the upcoming update.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Tethys likes this.
  33. Tethys

Tethys

Great update, and thanks for the support!

UModeler likes this.
  34. UModeler

UModeler

Now UModeler 20% off for Unity Plus/Pro users. Click here to check it out.
    pluspro20%off.jpg

Razmot likes this.
  35. wolfen231

wolfen231

Are there any other tutorials out there that are like step by step and not fast played videos with music?

jeromeWork likes this.
  36. UModeler

UModeler

37. wolfen231

wolfen231

I appreciate your tool and your time making the videos... but these are not really what I am looking for. It's not really "step by step"... it's just recordings of you making things haha. I also have to slow down the videos to like .25 to even figure out what you are doing sometimes.

Tethys likes this.
  38. UModeler

UModeler

Thank you for your feedback. I've also thought that Getting Started videos are needed for the beginners to get used to UModeler easily. Therefore I'm going to make such videos sooner or later with subtitles and probably narrations.

39. wolfen231

wolfen231

Cool!

Another thing that might be helpful (that some one else could potentially do) is just make a cheat sheet for all the hotkeys in one place. I know they are all noted in the manual and even in popup's though. I really want to like this thing because I have used Probuilder for a very very long time but I feel like your tool has a lot more potential for more detailed things I would like to make. =)

40. UModeler

UModeler

This is a good idea. I'll feel like making a chart for comparison between umodeler and probuilder as well as the hotkey chart you mentioned.

Flurgle, lod3 and wolfen231 like this.
  41. wolfen231

wolfen231

HAHA. Yeah, you have a lot more features. The workflow is also quite different actually. The push / pull feature seems unique (to me anyways) that could really speed things up once you get used to it.

UModeler and Flurgle like this.
  42. UModeler

UModeler

UModeler 2.0.8 has been released and is now available.

This update includes a new tool called Polygon Group Tool which allows you to group polygons into a group to make it convenient to manage and select polygons.

And 2.0.8 supports a pro skin perfectly. The selection rectangle and Status HUD box etc was not displayed clearly in Pro skin before 2.0.8, which has been fixed in this update.

Please click here for more information on 2.0.8 update.

Polygon Group Tool Demo.

coverpage likes this.
  43. tcmeric

tcmeric

Hi, if I can make a feature request. For the grow selection tool (selection > increase). Can you set an increase by angle? Eg. 45. If the angle is less than 45, it will increase to the next poly. If more than 45, it will not increase. This will allow us to adjust the increase amount. For example I want to select the outside of a wheel, but not the middle. This will be easier.

PS, I am loving the groups.

As for push/pull vs extrude on proBuilder, I really do like the proBuilder way. You can simply hold the shift key down and then extrude (push pull). Its very smooth. Also they dont need to choose between single poly, group poly or edge. Just select, shift, then pull.

I also used proBuilder for 1.5 years before :D

UModeler likes this.
  44. wolfen231

wolfen231

Yeah. I've used Probuilder for 4 or so years now haha. Push pull is interesting because if you actually removed the need to use a hotkey and just went into a "push pull" toggle it would just do it on any type you hover over. Could be dangerous that way too haha.

45. tcmeric

tcmeric

Interesting, i really dislike having to toggle something off and on. Especially that I have to toggle up to 3 different options. I feel like it really slows me down a lot.

46. tcmeric

tcmeric

Any way to extrude all of these faces at once outward, such as in probuilder? The multi push pull tool doesn't seem to the do the job in this case.

Attached Files:

47. tcmeric

tcmeric

I found a bug with smoothing groups. If you make a uModeler gameobject into a prefab. Then delete in your scene. Bring the prefab back into the scene. Then all the smoothing groups have 0 poly count. o_O Using Unity 2017.3 and newest uModeler.

Attached Files:

48. wolfen231

wolfen231

I think for "push pull" it would be nice. But other than that I prefer hotkeys as much as possible. I do like how PB handles extruding though.

49. coverpage

coverpage

Extrude edge and face push pull should be different operations is my vote on this. Otherwise it's a little confusing. Multi and single face can possibly be unified?

50. UModeler

UModeler

This would be a good feature for the Increase Selection tool. The similar function exists in Smoothing Group tool. I've put this into my todo list.
    Thank you :)
    I've tried probuilder transforming and extruding functions, which is quite easy to use so I started to think about adding such a pulling polygon function to the transform tool so that you can do both of them just using gizmos. And the existing push/pull tool in UModeler has many extra options such as cutting shapes, continuous extruding and duplicating the previous extrusion and boundary checks etc so it'll remain as it is for the elaborate push/pull.

Thank you for your feedback!

Mark_01 and tcmeric like this.