Search Unity

[RELEASED] Ultimate Survival - The Complete Survival Template

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AngryPixelUnity, Nov 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sebasfreelance

sebasfreelance

very good work, the models are very good, I do not know if you are posing to take a game with your own asset, it seems that yes

;)

again, great job

a greeting.

2. RAZD112

RAZD112

Hey , little question
    Can I use it in my own terrain and it will still work? I mean like sound , crafting etc
    Another question . Can I add my own animals models and give them ur AI ?
    Tnx

3. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

Hi, yes you can. Follow this tutorial:

4. RAZD112

RAZD112

thanks for reply man ! another last question 'fore im buying it , is it updates free? thanks

5. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

Yes they'll be free.

6. RAZD112

RAZD112

hell yeah, kepp goin bro great job !! i just tested to demo and its stunning absolutely amazing !!
    if you need tester i can be your guy ill be more than glad to help you out

7. Legend458

Legend458

When looking at Trello, I see that the number of things to complete keeps increasing......currently standing at 60 overall:(

RobsonFMaciel likes this.
  8. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

neverending story

Brandon_Powell and RobsonFMaciel like this.
  9. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

I'm adding only small things as I go long, which are necessary, and won't take long. I just want to have them on Trello as a motivation to complete everything.
    :)

Legend458 likes this.
  10. ttuzun

ttuzun

Hi everyone,

I have been working on making my own "hobby" game with US for awhile now with the help of @TheMessyCoder tutorials :) (thank you) however I am stuck somewhere and was wondering if anybody did it before or has an idea how.

I would like to find a way to detect if the player is inside somewhere. Caves etc are easy, As I can add colliders (if the maps not procedural) but what about player built structures?
    The main idea is to be able to affect weather (decrease wind, increase temp etc) inside closed spaces. I am not an expert coder but I have been finding my way around until THIS! :)

Does anybody have any idea how this "check" might be done?

Thanks beforehand!

11. Legend458

Legend458

Ah ok. Looking forward to 0.2!

12. txarly

txarly

i am not a expert coder but may be add a collider on the roof piece, as is the one that usually closes a room.

13. sebasfreelance

sebasfreelance

i use this...
    void OnTriggerStay(Collider other){
    if (other.gameObject.tag == "Player")

void OnTriggerExit(Collider other){
    if (other.gameObject.tag == "Player")

look for information about OnTriggerStay and OnTriggerExit, with that I have achieved that when entering an area pass cold or heat and lose health.

I have no idea of programming, but I gave this way, surely there will be some more correct, but it works for me.

that someone who understands programming well will help you.
    a greeting.

VladimirRad likes this.
  14. gegebel

gegebel

It depends on how you plan your game, there are several possibilities.
    The usual one is having a trigger on the door, if there are doors.
    The second one would be roof with a collider underneath.
    Another one would be room dependant collider.
    You could also have a possibility with pre-builds and reached percentage and so on. limit is your imagination.

15. VladimirGameStudio

VladimirGameStudio

In UniStorm, when it rains, it lowers your health when you get wet and when you refuse, you recover health

16. ttuzun

ttuzun

Thanks for ideas

I thought about the ceiling one before. But technically someone can build a Wall and a ceiling and call it a day :D (unless I prevent it of course.. which is possible but limiting)
    I am brainstorming on maybe sending raycasts when each part is built and check whether there is something on the other end. Then see if I can do something with that

17. Saiga308

Saiga308

Just like your neverending negativity. Move on already.

pushingpandas likes this.
  18. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

Hi. I just started my ai and fishing tutorial

RoyS, VladimirRad, LittleMike and 2 others like this.
  19. sebasfreelance

sebasfreelance

Could you focus on the things needed for the update and stop putting new things in?

you will have time to add what you want in future updates ...

a greeting

adndima likes this.
  20. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

So you want 0.2 to be full of stuff that don't work right? The way I read Winterbyte's comment is that is is only adding thing to the list that are required for other things that will be in 0.2 and that he is adding it to Trello as a reminder so he doesn't forget it.

21. Victor_cross

Victor_cross

Will .2 just be a update or will it be a stand alone asset in itself.

22. nielshenriksen

nielshenriksen

As I see it it will be a update but there is a lot of changes in it so code made to work with current version will maybe not work in .2

23. ShatterGlassGames

ShatterGlassGames

Is there any new release date of .2? Will it be released this year?

24. RobsonFMaciel

RobsonFMaciel

Unfortunately not

25. andyharvey

andyharvey

Defo keeping an eye on this, looks great!

26. VladimirGameStudio

VladimirGameStudio

After 5 months of delay, it only gives hope and patience, but when you see that in trello is less to leave your version and see that include more things desperate enough. we do not want anything included in version 0.2. we want it to come out already version 0.2. to add things is already version 0.3

27. LittleMike

LittleMike

What is everyone using for their terrains? Pre-built meshes or the built-in Unity one?

I went nuts and picked up MapMagic, Gaia, and Voxeland. For my game, I don't want it to be infinite. I was thinking roughly 2km x 2km.

So I tried playing with MapMagic and, while it works, it didn't seem well suited to what I wanted. Procedurally generating terrain is awesome for quick level design, but it's also hard to make anything over 300m. It seems like that's more what it's designed for. You can do separate biomes, but it's difficult to set up and again, if you're not doing infinite terrains, it's clunky. I was experimenting with Dynamic Limited, but again, separate graphs aren't possible and I just found it too hard to work with.

Tried Voxeland so I can manually deform the terrain to make cool caves and overhangs, but it too seems limited in that the graphs have to cover the full terrain and you can't make separate ones per chunk. That and just like with MapMagic (same author) anything over 300m and it takes forever to generate.

So then I tried Gaia. The stamping system is awesome. My only concern is that being that it uses Unity's terrain, I have to spawn trees separately or find some other workaround via scripting to add matching gameobjects to make interactable trees/rocks. I think I can use Gaia to randomly spawn them, so that will work. Still learning how to properly use the stamper manually, but other than that, it's pretty solid.

One thing I noticed with all of these tools is that the default Unity terrain shader sucks. I picked up a cheap triplanar shader and it seems to fix most stretching/warping issues with cliff textures. Are there any real drawbacks to doing it that way? I know it's computationally more expensive, but will I see a big performance hit (as a rule of thumb. Obviously every game/implementation is different.)?

28. ShatterGlassGames

ShatterGlassGames

I bough it the first week knowing i will be rebuilding my game with .2 but if didn't expect to take this long. If i knew promises were going to be broken I would have just hold until .2 and make my purchase when it finally came out.

29. ttuzun

ttuzun

You can try GENA with Gaia for spawning tress etc. I havent tried it procedurally but afaik it should work that way.
    It is from the same developer. You can use prefabs to spawn as trees rocks etc. I have even used it to spawn "spawners" for interactable items such as mushrooms I have created

LittleMike likes this.
  30. Zelre

Zelre

For stamps just use http://terrain.party to get stamps from real world terrains. Apparently for anywhere in the world UT for me it only seems to find from the US. Still, they look nice in Gaia. I'd say Gaia would be best for what you're looking for. Worked perfectly with Ultimate Survival for me. Use Gena too, definitely helps a lot.

And if you have some extra to spend I'd suggest getting CTS too. Also made by the same developer. That with a weather system like Enviro works great. Your terrain is affected by weather, and it textures it nicely as well. Also suggest using the volumetric lights from Github and PRISM with God rays set to the max. Really gives everything a nice realistic feel. God rays are the best. :D

Then you can also use the Github navmesh tools for procedural terrains, but if you're using Gaia, for performance, just bake the navmesh the default way. I would suggest baking before you put trees and rocks, and then add navmesh obstacles to those objects so that when you mine or cut them down the AI can walk over that location. Use the Ultimate Survival script to make minable trees, there's a tutorial in the wiki (link in my signature) by gegebel for Gaia. There's also one for fixing the tree manager's position issues if the Gaia one doesn't do that. Haven't tried the Gaia one yet.

As for AI, there's some nice animal assets in the store. Depends on your budget.

Learn how to use Blender well and you'll have more freedom when it comes to models. Might take a while and not be as good quality as asset store models at first, but we all have to start somewhere. At least they'll be original. ;)

Oh and Automatic LOD is a great asset to invest in for performance.

For building there's an asset called survical crafting. Can't remember the full name.. Has some really nice modular building parts that works perfectly.

Also extend the range of all your campfire and wall torches to about 15 or so, and set the bias and there other 2 sliders to their lowest. Also set the their shadows to soft. Gives a really nice and realistic feel to them.

Guess that's just some of my suggestions for now... Typing this on my phone so my fingers are getting sore now. Lol

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    LittleMike and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  31. mwituni

mwituni

Gaia is perfect. Very robust and feature-laden.

For the ultimate ... MegaSplat.
    Or try the free version ... MicroSplat.

LittleMike likes this.
  32. Zelre

Zelre

And yes, placing spawners on your map with Gena is a good idea. That way you can have different kinds of trees pop up in random places each time. Look into scaling down the trees into different stages and spawning them in their smallest stage. Integrate your weather system time into growing them or use timers to unhide the next stage and delete/hide the previous stage. Make sure that your timer on the last one unparents the last stage and deletes the others though... When you cut down the last tree you may end up still having the spawned game object there wasting space.

Edit: for trees it might be better to have a script that spawns the spawner when the tree you already placed dies. And deletes the previous spawned too. Maybe your tree an drop a 1 time random tree spawned that also has a destruct timer on it. That way you can spawn all your trees at their full stage and when they get cut down, 1 other first stage tree will be places randomly near it.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  33. Zelre

Zelre

I'll post a modified version of a timer script I found in my project and a short tutorial on how I use it to grow trees. I was using it to plant hemp using the US placement system. Some might not have their weather system integrated and this will also work for other things. Been a bit busy lately, but will try post it soon.

34. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Gaia for creating the terrain and base texture spawning + CTS for terrain shader + Vegetation Studio (Vegetation system still in development) for grass/tree management + GeNa for object/POI spawning. That is the core of my terrains. Simply making standard Unity terrains. Waiting for next version of CTS which I believe is supposed to have built in workaround for terrain holes. May end up converting moutains to mesh to support caves but at this point still plenty to work on before dealing with the need for holes.

You should be able to do this with Gaia. Gaia's object spawners can spawn any game object. Just create an empty game object, add your tree, and add your script that deals with new tree spawning to it. I would first look into tools like uNature, follow the development of Vegetation Studio, or even research the seeding within Gaia itself as each spawn in Gaia is attached to a seeded location. I haven't played around with it enough, but you might be able to get that same seed to grow back with a little code. Seems to me this might have been something Adam had shown at one point but I wont swear to it. :)

LittleMike likes this.
  35. LittleMike

LittleMike

I totally forgot about GENA. What does it do beyond what the spawners in Gaia do now? Like there are already object spawners in Gaia. What benefit would buying GENA give me?

@Zelre - I've made heightmaps from terrain.party before. Pretty cool site! I totally forgot that I picked up Megasplat (I went on a bit of an asset store splurge. I blame being newly single lol). I haven't looked into how to use it yet, though. I need some good PBR textures to use with it, no? Again, I haven't looked at it at all. I also picked up Unistorm and Emerald AI after suggestions here. Haven't played with them either. And thanks to the TheMessyCoder, I also own HAP, which I will definitely be implementing. I just have been fighting with terrain stuff and have been putting it off. I may just worry about terrain later and work on the integrations. Terrain can always be changed.

36. LittleMike

LittleMike

Wow, Vegetation Studio looks like it's going to be fantastic! I will read more when I go home, but looks like I have a lot I can tinker around with.

My biggest issue with Gaia is when I try to stamp something like a mountain, it always appears to take the shape of the stamp, but not the height. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong, but it's very frustrating. Definitely a bit of a learning curve beyond the Quick Start guide. Oh well, like I said, plenty to tinker around with.

If I wanted to chunk a 2km terrain made with Gaia up into asynchronous loaded chunks of let's say 300m for optimization purposes, how would I do that? I've heard SECTR is great, but are there cheaper alternatives?

@Shawn67 I believe you made a bunch of Gaia stamps for sale and I think your site was where I read about SECTR when you attempted a 32k terrain, no?

37. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

GeNa is like Gaia spawners on steroids. There is a lot of performance boosts in the way the spawners work. Adam told me what they were but I can't remember. Mind doesn't retain things like it used to due to some health issues. And the visualizer was totally rewritten. Some of the performance stuff, like with the visualizer in GeNa are supposed to be updated in Gaia 2.0 as well. Basically GeNa gives a lot finer control over your spawning. You can do spot spawning or you can spawn entire terrain that matches a sampling of the spot you clicked on (height, slope, texture, etc)

I can't answer anything about Megasplat because I don't own it. To me it looks more complicated than it needs to be. I like the results I get with CTS and CTS is super user friendly. A few clicks and I had a terrain that looked much better than results I was getting with other tools. But then again, with the health issues effecting thought and logic processes along with fatigue, a lot of tools out there are harder for me to remember how to use. Not that they aren't incredible products, just too hard for me personally to get good results with them. I don't have those kinds of problems with the tools Adam designed (or co-authored in the case of CTS)..

Vegetation Studio is awesome so far. I've been in Lennart's test group for a month or so and he has been making awesome progress. I think he is looking to release before winter. And performance is awesome, even on my crappy video card.

I was going to do a tutorial on using Sectr but then I had a relapse with the brain fog symptoms that are residual from my chemotherapy I did back in 2013 which shut me down for a bit. Slowly getting back into the swing of things. I actually bought World Streamer and may switch over to it. At this point I'm not sure. And yeah, I have packs of stamps for Gaia. I just don't like to bring them up in posts unless I'm asked about them. Almost feel like I'm spamming if I start plugging them in someone else's thread.

There is a lot you can do with the stamping engine in Gaia to change the results. Feel free to throw me a private message and we can talk more there so we don't overtake Winterbyte's thread or you can also feel free to hit me up with questions in my thread for my stamp packs. I think I have a link to it in my signature. Been so long since I updated siggy, I can't remember. lol

38. LittleMike

LittleMike

Gotcha. So a more granular spawner. That makes sense. I'll have to decide if it's worth it to me to spend the additional cash on it when it's kind of single function, even if it's good. I remember reading something that turned me off to CTS, but I can't remember what the heck it was. I did wind up with Megasplat so no sense not trying what I got first before I think about buying even more assets.

Take care of yourself, man. It's good you're getting back into the swing of things, but don't sweat not remembering. Chemo puts your body through the ringer.

I'll take a look at that Vegetation Studio thread. It definitely looks promising. I have no time contraints for this project, because it's only me for me. And well, maybe for sale if I feel it's up to par, but that's far down the line, I'm sure.

Yea, any other questions I have I'll PM you or post on that thread. I mainly just wanted to see what everyone is using while keeping it relevant to US. Beyond that, I'll take it elsewhere and keep the thread from being clogged up with off-topic stuff.

On a side note, you are the second person to say check your signature and not one single person has a signature on these forums. I'm guessing maybe it's a default setting that you have to turn on to see them, because when I go to your profile, your signature is there, but not in these posts. Weird.

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  39. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

hi everyone, here is part 2. Soon we have lots of fish swimming around, fishing and even filling up your bottles from the river/pond.

RoyS, adndima, LucianPavel and 9 others like this.
  40. RobsonFMaciel

RobsonFMaciel

41. Freshmeat911

Freshmeat911

42. arie1994

arie1994

43. VladimirGameStudio

VladimirGameStudio

After 5 months of delay, it only gives hope and patience, but when you see that in trello is less to leave your version and see that include more things desperate enough. we do not want anything included in version 0.2. we want it to come out already version 0.2. to add things is already version 0.3

44. impi2

impi2

Re terrain shaders...

Adams stuff is always good. But megasplat is a lot more powerful than CTS. You can mix up to 256 ground textures on terrain or objects, vs CTS's 16 on terrain, and it's still superfast. It is a little more complex to use than cts, because of the flexibility. Jason is a master with shaders.

For many, 16 is enough.

He also just released Microsplat (the free version), which has the same 16 texture limit as CTS, and also a supereasy UI, with supercharged performance ... it's hands-down the fastest terrain shader for unity (even with 16 textures).

45. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Possibly. But keep in mind it is pretty stripped down too. Most things in the other terrain shaders you have to add-on to Microsplat by buying modules. So comparing speed with it and any other terrain shader is like comparing apples to grapes. :p Not saying it isn't good. That I don't know. Just making people aware that to get same functionality as the other terrain shaders in the asset store, it isn't free. ;)

EDIT: The "possibly" is regarding Microsplat hands-down comment. Megasplat is probably more powerful, but it has been around longer too. Jason is a great shader coder, but I'm curious to see where Bart and Adam take CTS given the same amount of time.

46. RAZD112

RAZD112

hey . ive found your vid about how u can add humanoid ai
    but it doesnt seem to work on larger things like aliens creatures etc.
    and another question, the humanoid ai tut doesnt work for me either ,
    it doesnt find the bones in the ragdoll what shell i do ??? thnaks

47. uni7y

uni7y

who are you talking to? maybe you can ask it nicely and call the person by his screen name?

48. RAZD112

RAZD112

yo i wasnt rude bro lol,
    im just asking for help from the dev . thats it.

49. RoyS

RoyS

Winterbyte. I have added UniStorm to my player (per UniStorm instructions) and the nights are not very dark at all. How did you get the nights to be so dark? The nights in your game are awesome and bring about a fear of being in such darkness with enemies all about. I've fiddled with the settings, but can't seem to get it to what you had.

Has anyone else added UniStorm and was able to get the nights dark again?

50. gegebel

gegebel

you need to set it right in the options. change all night colors to black, worked for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.