Search Unity

[RELEASED] Ultimate Survival - The Complete Survival Template

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AngryPixelUnity, Nov 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gegebel

gegebel

@LittleMike You would need to write your won spawner, which is not a huge problem, but it won't work with the TreeManager, as it's being set in editor and not runtime.
    I'm sure it would be possible, but be super heavy on performance in the end. Placing a GO at runtime for every tree in a forest would kill your game.

2. LittleMike

LittleMike

Yea, I'm looking to be able to use the terrain tools, be it Gaia or MapMagic because they make creating a terrain so easy. I guess that's the price I'd have to pay versus just creating an entire environment in a 3D program and dropping the entire mesh in. Oh well.

Quick question regarding the second part of what you said, though - doesn't the TreeManager script do just that - drop a GO for every tree at runtime? On a side note, I do remember reading somewhere that uNature does similar but clamps it to a certain distance away from player to try to optimize it a bit.

3. Old_Wolf

Old_Wolf

Mike, use a 'PrefabBrush'. There's a few available on the Asset store. You can specify which prefabs (with scripts attached) to use, scale, rotation, whatever...and then just paint them on like a texture. Works like a charm. You can also save groups of prefabs as presets, for different biomes etc.

4. OfficialAshez

OfficialAshez

Do anyone know a downloadable terrain plane for survival world to work with?

5. LittleMike

LittleMike

That may be an option. Prefab brushes don't use Unity's terrain, correct? You use them like you would use the terrain tools but what you're painting are just prefabs?

Would that interfere with the way the script works? Does the Tree Manager not iterate through the terrain object? Or maybe I could just not use the Tree Manager script and use a prefab brush using prefabs with the Mineable script attached? Oh, ideas! Lol

6. Old_Wolf

Old_Wolf

I have used it succesfully with 0.13. Just attached the mineable script to the prefab, and added it to the Prefab brush. You might have to fiddle with a few of the settings to get just the right effect, but once you have done that, it really takes the work out of it. Can do the same with rocks and other objects too.

LittleMike likes this.
  7. LittleMike

LittleMike

Thanks for the tip. I may give that a shot. Unity's terrain code hasn't really changed since version like 2 or 3. It's showing its age :p

8. Zelre

Zelre

If you don't mind spawning prefabs instead of terrain trees, just remove the Tree object from the MapMagic editor, replace it with an Objects one, hook it up to the same group that the Tree one was attached to, and drop in your trees with mineable tree attached. Then you can add anything you want to your trees and they'll spawn at runtime and work just fine. I've been doing that and it works perfectly. You can add scripts that disable the colliders at a certain distance, or use Automatic LOD to speed things up a bit too.

9. LittleMike

LittleMike

I didn't realize you could do that. I haven't purchased MapMagic yet, I was just seriously looking into it because I really liked the procedural generation. I don't plan on using infinite terrain (at least not in this project) but just dropping down graphs and getting what I want was really cool. I thought I read on the forum thread there that @gegebel had an issue with it re-generating the terrain every time the game was played, though. So no persistence in the terrain?

10. lsgheero

lsgheero

You have to lock the terrain tiles and just use the hide far terrains option in order to be able to add items to the terrain and have them stay...

11. LittleMike

LittleMike

Lock, not pin, correct? I may pick up MapMagic today and play around with it. I may pick up Gaia and/or a prefab brush too while I'm at it. Haha.

12. OfficialAshez

OfficialAshez

How do i change the whole character & model inside the Inventory?
    Also can animals like wolfs, bears etc use the AI inside the package for attacking etc?

13. Zelre

Zelre

I usually just lock the first terrain and it doesn't regenerate every time I play. Gaia is nice too, especially if you use Gena with it (Gaia's add-on prefab placement that works with other terrains too.)

The nice thing about MapMagic is that it integrates with Voxeland, so you can generate a MapMagic terrain and have caves too, and you can integrate Ultimate Survival into Voxeland so you can dig your own tunnels.

One thing I need to sort out with MapMagic is that if I place down a bed and die, I end up spawning at the bed but since MapMagic generates around the MainCamera, for some reason it doesn't generate the terrain under me and I fall through it. Might be an easy for that haha.

14. Zelre

Zelre

Yes you can set up your own models with the integrated AI system, and to change your player model just go to the UI > Character etc... Till you find the player model. Add your own, set it to the UI layer, give it the same Preview controller if you want the same idle animation and then hide the default player model. You might need to just adjust the positions. Currently have a Daz3d model in mine with working clothing, if anyone wants the script to make Daz3d clothing auto conform let me know. There's also a few assets that import the Daz3d morphs so you can have a realistic player model that can be adjusted (weight, muscle mass, skin color etc.)

In my signature there's a Ultimate Survival wiki, look for The Messy Coder's tutorials and then look for the one where he adds a custom AI. Also worth watching all his videos, using his vehicle script I was able to control a variety of vehicle systems (with a few modifications.) Had a helicopter, cars, even a forklift haha. Leaving that out of my project for now though...

15. SirTwistedStorm

SirTwistedStorm

May I ask which assets? I really need good character models.

16. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

If you are using Daz3d models in a game, you really need to look close at licensing. Last time I looked it was $500 for licensing to use models in game development and even then, only certain models were available. Maybe look at Renderosity. I notice some of their artists have special versions with extended licenses allowing game use. You just need to make sure you are buying for that license and not the cheaper version of the models that are for the basic license. That is if you are making a game you plan to publish.

I noticed their offshoot, Morph3D just released two new packs to the asset store for $30 each for post apocalyptic style games if that is what you are looking for. One pack is male and the other is female. I previously had picked up the Deadland Survivor and Lawless Survivor individually. I like them a lot. MCS (Morph3d Character System, I think it is lol) still has some issues, but they seem to be doing a lot better with fixing things than they did at the start. Their method of equipping clothing is kind of different, but it deals with the morphs. Personally, I'll probably just use the models as they are as far as the bodies. My intention is to attempt to use different clothing (not from Morph3D) along with Ootii's Mount Points to see if I'm able to successfully wear non-MCS gear. But that is kind of low on a huge list of things I want/need to work on atm... lol

The Post Apocalyptic packs:
    MCS Male: Post-Apocalyptic Bundle
    MCS Female: Post-Apocalypse Bundle

These are just the clothing/props. They require the MCS Male and MCS Female packages which are now free. In the beginning they were $50 each. For prototyping, you could always just use those with the default street clothes they come with at no cost.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  17. LittleMike

LittleMike

This isn't the thread for it, so I won't go in depth, but the Morph3D EULA is under some harsh scrutiny by the Unity community and many people have abandoned it. Something about how you're not allowed to distribute their models so you can't actually publish a game with Morph3D? I'm really not sure. They say it's no more restrictive than the Asset Store EULA, but that only restricts you from buying an asset and then reselling that asset (or parts of it). Personally I'm staying far away from anything DAZ puts out just to be on the safe side.

@Zelre DAZ3D models are specifically prohibited from being used in games unless you purchase a separate license for it. I'd be careful with that.

Regarding Voxeland - you have to build a Voxeland terrain first, right? Like you can't convert a terrain to it after the fact. I may pick that up. Jeebus, I'm going to be dropping some big dough in the Asset store lol

18. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Yeah.. I followed that fiasco. Memory a bit foggy on it but I think it had more to do with streaming/cash market content stuff. I'll have to go back and look. There was also question to the legality of them superseding the AS EULA. But pretty much with anything you buy, you need to be careful and make sure you are using within the allowed parameters. Still, if you just need some characters to drop into game while you are working on it, the free ones are at least good enough for prototyping.

19. LittleMike

LittleMike

Oh yea, you just reminded me - no microtransactions or subscriptions allowed is what they said. Considering like 99% of games nowadays offer something like that, it would make it impossible to use their assets. The big back and forth about who's EULA you have to go by was a mess too. Unity said you go by Unity's EULA unless the asset has a separate one, then you go by that. And DAZ said you go by the EULA of whichever store you bought it from. Forget the whole mess. I will use no DAZ products in a production environment. :p

20. LittleMike

LittleMike

Is anyone using Unity 2017? I have been struggling all day and night just to *import* assets and some are just throwing errors that I can't figure out for the life of me. So far I've finally managed to import all but two of them. Right now I'm trying to get HAP to import, but keep getting error messages from RigidbodyFPSController.cs missing an assembly reference. I was going to ask in the HAP forum but I figured I'd ask here first because I know @TheMessyCoder is using it.

*EDIT* I've worked around it for now. It has to do with the FPC and TPC. Being that I will probably not be using them, I've just disabled them for now.

21. JMyerscough

JMyerscough

Any reason why, when I add new terrain/plane/anything, AI end up floating?

22. gegebel

gegebel

You have to Bake the navmesh I guess

23. gegebel

gegebel

@Winterbyte312 Did you get rid of the sleeping mechanic in 0.2 or is it still in? I'd like to know so I can make an accurate tutorial on how to integrate UniStorm with US.
    Can the Day/Night cycle be disabled so we can use our own?

in 0.1 there were lots of single mechanics being used with Day/Night and it was a real pain to rewrite everything to use our own system. Here I specifically think about sleeping and spawning mobs.
    While it's not really difficult to change, it takes time and it would make sense to make these features independent from any major system.

24. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

+1

I'd love to see this be true of any of the systems. There are a lot of systems being built into US that I would rather use my own stuff for. The only being able to sleep at night thing was one of the first things I disliked about the package. I'd rather disable the time system in the package and use either tenkoku or one of the other systems specifically designed for day/night. Same with water, camera, character controller, AI, etc. Having basic systems for this stuff is great, but I wouldn't necessarily consider them core. At least not core components that should be so tied to the main core that takes picking apart the whole system to try to replace them.

Not a complaint, but more of a wish list kind of thing. ;)

25. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

For 0.2, I've implemented an interface, ITimeHandler, which can be used to tie your own day & night system. The AI and sleeping don't reference the built-in day & night script anymore, but the interface. Makes it easy to use external systems.

julianr, Vondox, gegebel and 3 others like this.
  26. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

I'll make it so you can sleep anytime, will add a few more options for sleeping. :)
    You can use any water system, there aren't any specific dependencies. Implementing an external AI system requires a simple script, etc. The only big mistake was not abstracting the time system in 0.1, that made the integration of another AI and/or day night cycle a bit more difficult. It's fixed in 0.2 like I said above :)

27. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Sounds great! And btw, hope you are feeling better. :)

AngryPixelUnity likes this.
  28. Zelre

Zelre

that sucks...But for prototyping I guess it's okay. Maybe if I turn a Daz3D model into a lowpoly model like polyworld it will be considered free to use haha. Anyways, I haven't tried the Voxeland and MapMagic integration yet, but you can generate a MapMagic terrain through MapMagic that uses Voxeland in the latest versions of both. So there's actually a Voxeland option in the MapMagic menu I believe. :) Few tutorials and demos on YouTube.

29. Zelre

Zelre

A lot of scripts use #if unity 4.x _ 5.0 etc. So some parts of your script will be disabled because it can't detect 2017 as 5.0 or higher. This results in it activation the else option which is usually below version 5.0, which has commands that are usually not functional with your version. Manually comment out any of those scripts and force the code under 5.0 and above. Helps with a lot of errors.

30. Zelre

Zelre

On that note I have had errors with FPC and TPC too.

31. LittleMike

LittleMike

Yea, I'll figure it out when I get to working on integrating everything.

On the bright side, I found Denis's tutorial on Voxeland integration. Basically Voxeland doesn't work with MapMagic, MapMagic works within Voxeland. You start with Voxeland, change the Generator to MapMagic, and that enables MapMagic graphs. A bit confusing without a tutorial and the documentation is outdated. Denis is active on the forums, though.

I also picked up Gaia and have been playing with that. Right out of the box, you get some decent results:

Attached Files:

ScourgeGames likes this.
  32. sebasfreelance

sebasfreelance

gegebel and jesseganey like this.
  33. Saiga308

Saiga308

34. sebasfreelance

sebasfreelance

Well if I tell you the truth I have not used it since I bought it.

I bought it, install it, play a little with him and since then I have not come back to do anything with it, with version 0.2 will be everything I need.

I'll wait a little while to see what happens ;)

35. gegebel

gegebel

Didn't you ask for a refund? :confused:

36. sebasfreelance

sebasfreelance

Yes, I do,

but with what I comment, I decided to wait a little ..., I'm going to give one more time an opportunity to this asset, I hope I'm not wrong,;)

37. impi2

impi2

You were wrong in the first place. (Handled it wrong).

Maybe in future, think first. Before blowing up a developers thread by demanding a refund. Or pm them about it.

38. sebasfreelance

sebasfreelance

I did not answer you...

a greeting.

39. ronaldomoon

ronaldomoon

I see that "solidify save and load system" has been removed from 0.2. Does that mean it was able to be recovered from the crashed version, it's done, or it's been pushed to a later version? I'm going to pretty bummed if it's the latter because it was the main reason I was waiting for 0.2 to get started on a project.

40. LittleMike

LittleMike

It's still there
    savesystem.PNG

ronaldomoon likes this.
  41. ronaldomoon

ronaldomoon

Whoops. My bad. I saw in the sidebar that it was removed rather than moved, which is how they usually list things like that. I should have looked closer.

LittleMike likes this.
  42. VladimirRad

VladimirRad

43. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Just looking at Trello, I was checking out the 0.3 art. Is there any chance we can get decals or whatever we would need to apply a grunge/rust/aged look to other vehicles we may already have? I'm not an art type so I'm not sure if we would just need to add another material or what exactly we would need. But a lot of us probably already have a lot of vehicles that look too new for a modern or post-apo survival game where we would actually have vehicles.

Or if any of you know of a good third party asset that you have successfully used to do this, would love input on those as well.. :)

44. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

The vehicle material was created as a whole, with the rust and other details.

45. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Yup. Figured that. What I was suggesting was if materials or decals could be created that we could apply to other vehicles that had similar weathering/aging type effects. If we had something like that we could apply to vehicles, that would give us infinite vehicle options without you guys having to create more than the couple samples you put in the pack but all having a similar style.

Again, I'm not sure it is even possible with me not being an artist. But I think you can do that kind of thing with decals or applying a second material to an object that is basically transparent other than the rust, dirt, bullet holes, etc.

46. gegebel

gegebel

Basically, you just need to open the texture in your favorite painting tool and apply rust or wear to it. Not really difficult

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  47. LucianPavel

LucianPavel

Hi, I've posted a video that shows every weapon and tool from Ultimate Survival 0.2. If you want to see it here's the video:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    VladimirRad, uni7y, Legend458 and 7 others like this.
  48. wizard40

wizard40

Wow Looks amazing I can't wait to see the game ;)

49. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

lol.. See, I told you I wasn't an artist type. I never even thought of that. So I could probably just use something like a Photoshop filter. I should have know that since I've dealt with that kind of stuff in my photography. lol Thanks for the slap on the back of the head to wake me up to that option @gegebel! lol

50. JMyerscough

JMyerscough

nice! i see the hunting rifle has a scope on it. does it have the normal type of sniper zoom?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.