Search Unity

[RELEASED] Ultimate Survival - The Complete Survival Template

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AngryPixelUnity, Nov 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Supgarn

Supgarn

You can estimate when 0.2 it will be completed. 1 month or 2 month or....

2. EvansSoftware

EvansSoftware

Take a look at the FP Tool script attached to the Pickaxe for example, add some code similar to what you have in the Voxeland demo when you 'dig' the terrain to the OnHit function.

Will-D-Ramsey likes this.
  3. EvansSoftware

EvansSoftware

You will need to loop through the item and equipment holders, on startup read from file and populate them, on exit (or save button if you are putting one in your game) write the data to file. Don't forget the furnace, chest and campfire also have holders you will need to load and save. You don't need to save much as the items are fairly self-contained just add an amount. Once you know what you need to save the actual code is very small. This is a very good way to learn about the inventory system.

4. EvansSoftware

EvansSoftware

Yes, I ended up having specific bear and wolf scripts, didn't want them running around like chickens ;)

5. EvansSoftware

EvansSoftware

Looks like we took a similar approach, I also use MapMagic for my storyline mode and MapMagic/Voxeland for my random gen destructible environment game mode.
    My progress on Subjugated - The Island Prison can be seen here, Voxeland integration and game mode switching are in the last 2 videos.

6. wangkai

wangkai

Thank you for giving me a hint, yes, i do this, but I encountered the problem is unable to save ItemHolder list, I would like to save as a text format and then read out, but this data can not serialize? I am upset,

7. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Hey, since you are using the same game name like us I need to speak with you regarding legal issues. I checked your website where you claim your name SIEGESCAPE with a TM (trademark). I checked the international TM register, but cant found any entries.
    http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=4802:6pn48d.1.1

Are you in the process of the trademark registration? Otherwise you might need to rename your game. Our registration is currently in the last stage of trademark registration. And might get accepted by 24. of June as the USPTO papers saying.

8. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Btw using the TM without proper brand rights could get you in legal trouble.

9. EvansSoftware

EvansSoftware

Ah, ok, this is a common problem with some Unity types. I am not a Unity expert and I am sure there are different ways to do it but I tend to write my own class to represent the data to be stored and just copy to from it when I save and load. You need to make sure each field you want to store is serializable or public. It may take a little trial and error to get the class exactly as you need it.

10. Will-D-Ramsey

Will-D-Ramsey

So I get this error every frame, it doesnt seem to break gameplay but I worry about the performance hit it might be causing or cause in the future, any ideas?
    upload_2017-6-23_8-30-6.png

Brandon_Powell likes this.
  11. EvansSoftware

EvansSoftware

I get the same, I have ignored it while I work on other things as it is not causing me immediate problems. It may as you say cause some performance hit though so as a quick fix you could just skip that bit of code if the surface being tested is Voxeland. The longer term fix would be to provide a surface type back for the footstep sound, you could look at the voxeland block type you are stepping on and use that, however that in itself may cause a performance hit so I would suggest have a play or wait for Winterbyte's integration.

12. Molund

Molund

Just checked their website, it does says Project Siegescape. And no, Your business can use the ™ symbol whenever it wishes to claim a trademark. You do not need to file any paperwork to receive permission to use the ™ symbol. Use of the ™ symbol can put your competition on notice that your business considers a mark to be your trademark. So I guess he put claim on the trademark to seigescape the second he put that TM mark there. I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice. Just passing through :3

jesseganey likes this.
  13. wangkai

wangkai

I have a little feeling, probably know how to do it. I use the binary format to save, inside the class all serialized, but the final commissioned error, SerializationException: Type UnityEngine.UI.Selectable in assembly UnityEngine.UI, Version = 1.0.0.0, Culture = neutral, PublicKeyToken = null is not Marked as serializable. This error is because the inside of the ui variables did not serialize the reasons? The problem of saving this item has been bothering me for a long time, in the end how to save and load........

14. EvansSoftware

EvansSoftware

I would go with defining your own class just to store the required data, it is not much more than item name string and the amount of that item if I remember correctly, also you need to specify the container, Inventory, Equipment etc. I certainly would not be trying to save a serialized UI object itself! Also if you want text use the JSON Utility serializer instead of the binary one.

15. hsxtreme

hsxtreme

Using what for AI?

16. Gunsrequiem

Gunsrequiem

At the end of the day, I think there is some bitterness going on in this forum. I am not trying to piss anyone off with my project, my offer to help, or anything. I'm trying to be the most open, professional developer I can be, and I'm sorry if that irks some people. Please, guys, at the end of the day remember that I am on your side. I'm trying to offer any help I can by posting the videos and including you all in the project--you are all the reason that I am even here. So, please, can we take a step back and remember what is important? I'm here for you and everyone else out there.

emperor12321 and jesseganey like this.
  17. Will-D-Ramsey

Will-D-Ramsey

Could you please elaborate just a tiny bit, Im looking at the scripts and i've been trying moving that "dig" portion over but its missing something to go over....

18. Brandon_Powell

Brandon_Powell

i'm not very good with code, but i've been able to customize the voxeland controller a bit,

I think you probably need to make a reference to the voxeland you want to edit in your dig script

look near the top of the voxeland controller script, and find the part where you drag the voxeland into the inspector

you need to add that part into your dig script

hope that helps

19. EvansSoftware

EvansSoftware

I am using slightly modified versions of the US AI scripts for the animals and my own AI scripts for the human NPCs, it is still relatively immature but does what I need at the moment. NPCs able to target other NPCs was probably the biggest change I made.

20. Gaming-Project

Gaming-Project

Add all terrain textures into the surface database.

21. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

Hey guys, we're looking at Voxeland today and want to create a quick integration and submit it as 0.13 if all goes well. Should be helpful for some people.

uni7y and Will-D-Ramsey like this.
  22. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

Looks like the shader file Voxeland uses for it's terrain doesn't have a property called "_MainTex" which is required and is standard for most materials.

For now, attach a "Surface Identity" component to the Voxeland terrain. Drag in the default cliff texture from Ultimate Survival. You shouldn't get any errors.

MakeGames2 and Will-D-Ramsey like this.
  23. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

Looks like you're saving the UI elements? The correct way to do it, for saving item collections in general, is (an example):
    To save the inventory collection, go in the InventoryController script and locate the m_InventoryCollection list, that is what you should save. That's where all the slots and items are, internally. You can then load the list in Awake, before the GUI systems have read and displayed it.

24. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

You update to 0.13 for voxel? Does that mean 0.2 is pushed back more far away?

gegebel likes this.
  25. Will-D-Ramsey

Will-D-Ramsey

I think he refers to 0.13 as a quick fix gift for the community that wants it. It probably wont take them long to get it done and get back to 0.2. The community wanted something and Winterbyte is trying to deliver. Definitely my favorite asset developers 10/10!

jesseganey, csharpstudios and uni7y like this.
  26. gegebel

gegebel

Does it sound like someone's trying to give "something" so they can move the attention from the main issue ? For me, it does.

csharpstudios and pushingpandas like this.
  27. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Sorry but I still bug you Winterbyte312. You said you submitted the asset but asset got declined. in the meantime your hdd crashed. ok. I asked you multiply times here if you contacted assetstore team if they can send you the submitted version. You did not answer to that question. Not answered 3 times. Now I ask you again. I find it very strange that they are not able to send you the asset, otherwise why is it taking so long for 0.2?

28. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

No, I'm constantly working on 0.2.
    After seeing people talking about Voxeland continuously, I spoke to my coworker and decided he's going to jump on integrating Voxeland today and submit as v0.13. I have a poor internet connection anyways.

Brandon_Powell and Will-D-Ramsey like this.
  29. wangkai

wangkai

Thank you very much. ..Eventually I redefine the list to save the object, so that the unity will not be given error. Inventory and hotBar AddItemToColletion () through the addition of items, but equipment through which equipment to add? Or use this function? I tried not to add the right to enter, defense is not correct. Also, when the new version can be updated, and now there are some minor problems, but I need to take a long time to solve. There unet online, you can do a virtual server to run it? That's great, like ummorpg

30. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

I feel so bad about the delay, but at the same time we can't release 0.2 without being properly finished.
    After having that hdd crash, I decided to step-up the quality of 0.2 a little, polish the kit and have it as we originally envisioned. We continued from the last backup as I had most of the code in mind from the 3 weeks lost (and I wanted to refactor and redesign it as well, which I did).

The bottomline is, @gegebel and @Devision4, we appreciate your interest in the asset so much, and as well sticking with us. Thank you, but I feel that lately we haven't been treated right, we'd appreciate if you stop with all the theories and strange opinions you have about the latest issues we've been encountering.

I don't want to justify these actions and events again, I want I and my coworkers to focus on developing Ultimate Survival. We have no problems giving you a refund if you feel the asset doesn't serve it's purpose for the money you paid. I understand we have promises to deliver upon, but we're doing our best given the circumstances.

We could've thrown a simple save & load system, keep the same code structure, etc, and just call it 0.2. But the changes, additions and improvements we've made so far will be, in my opinion, worth the wait.

31. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

Each equipment slot resides in a separate item collection. Eg. to add an item to the "head" slot, search for the "Head" collection in the m_EquipmentSlots / m_EquipmentHolders, forgot how it was in 0.1. And then use the same AddItemToCollection method. UNET MP is coming in 0.3, we haven't thought much about the specifics yet.

32. Gunsrequiem

Gunsrequiem

Winterbyte312,

You guys have been more than patient, and I think it might simply be time to take a step back and realize that some people will never be happy no matter what you do. I'm sorry, but for as good as your asset is, if someone is really expecting an update to a single asset to make or break their game, they shouldn't be releasing their "game" anyway.

As for the Voxeland integration, that would be wonderful! A lot of people have been asking for it on the forum, and no one has yet provided them a workable solution. Thanks for that, and I look forward to seeing what you guys have for us down the road.

33. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

Thank you. My coworker has almost finished the integration. Given it's quite a small change, we hope it'll be online in 24 - 48 hours.

34. Will-D-Ramsey

Will-D-Ramsey

The bottomline is, @gegebel and @Devision4, we appreciate your interest in the asset so much, and as well sticking with us. Thank you, but I feel that lately we haven't been treated right, we'd appreciate if you stop with all the theories and strange opinions you have about the latest issues we've been encountering.
    [/QUOTE]

Exactly what I was going to say. First off the amount of content that ALREADY exist in Ultimate Survival is staggering for the price, you pretty much get a complete project that can be your own with much less effort then trying to do it yourself. Not to mention the future plans on the roadmap. All this for a low one time cost, yet this is not enough? Seriously its like you guys want him to build the whole game for you. Do you really have nothing else to do? Is your game done except for someone else efforts?
    Winterbyte is correct, many individuals on this forum have not treated him or his team with any more respect then tech support...

Also so glad to hear Voxeland integration is coming online soon, a surprisingly fast response to the request from the community. Thanks Winterbyte Team.

35. reocwolf

reocwolf

Hey guys, I'm new here. I've been watching this asset for a while but just bought your asset even though I'm using another because I saw the quality of it, the road-map and the awesome price. I wanted to support you. When I saw those comments I was going to butt in but then saw you replied effectively. Keep up the good work.

BTW I think you are doing a great job with upping the price by updates and what each update plans to offer. Actually I would already charge more for this asset. So, It's a bit annoying when people complain like that.

I would suggest a statement in the road map that basically explains that some features might be pushed back, changed or cancelled. I've seen stuff like this ruin entire projects in the past when people get nervous, confused and desperate.

jesseganey and AngryPixelUnity like this.
  36. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

Thank you :)

Great point..

jesseganey and reocwolf like this.
  37. uni7y

uni7y

Totally agree! And totally true! And more people will agree! Have you ever received such good support for an asset which price is actually far too low (I think) and where the author is so often active / present in the forum and then again also listening to the community in a busy period and throwing an extra update?! Really Guys we must have respect for Winterbyte312...

jesseganey and AngryPixelUnity like this.
  38. reocwolf

reocwolf

Also. I don't know if this supports Emerald AI but since it integrates with Unistorm and EAI has some features that can be used with it I'd suggest it. And NodeCanvas too.

Probably implementing integrations so that you have less pressure doing all of this things yourselves in your asset would be a better approach. A lot of the stuff in your road map can be done by integrations.

I would prioritize abilities like these:

But I'm just suggesting. Like I said I'm new to this project.

AngryPixelUnity likes this.
  39. Will-D-Ramsey

Will-D-Ramsey

We need the grappling hook!!

40. OZAV

OZAV

hmm ...
    Will-D-Ramsey is correct: Grappling Hook ! ( great suggestion ), will be so nice to have it one day, so we can just drop off it, and broke ourselves to shreds, it's so much fun, ha, ha ... :)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  41. whatbus2000

whatbus2000

Gegebel and Division4 certainly have bad attitudes but most people here appreciate the time and effort that not only goes into the asset but into the replies for this forum. Great work Winterbyte312!

jesseganey likes this.
  42. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

I cannot disagree more :)

This is why people should be customising and developing their own code in projects.
    If you would like a grappling hook why not just add one yourselves?

youtube is full of tutorials for them

43. chiefarchon

chiefarchon

hey MessyCoder... haven't you caught enough fish yet :p

jesseganey and TheMessyCoder like this.
  44. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

LoL i just pissed myself!
    Yes I have caught many fish! But you know if you give a man a fish, you can feed him for a day, but teach him to fish and that man will end up fishing without a license and get arrested, thus having his family go without fish because he is in prison. his family goes hungry and his children turn to crime and after a few years his children have become crime lords running the city. all because someone taught their dad to fish!! DAMN YOU FISH! DAMN YOU!!

45. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

wow this guy is right, he is so amazing. i love him. I agree with this quote so much I will post a link where you can get a grapling hook for free.

http://www.sykoos.com < here, click here sign up and get his grappling hook code

"What is that?!?!" I hear you cry

"Is that PewDiePie??" No, it is not!! he is not the only Swedish youtuber!! Although actually he might be and all of these other channels are a cunning disguise!

Damn you cunning Swedish barsteward!

46. Cyrusc

Cyrusc

@Winterbyte312 Small bug, in the SurfaceDatabase at line 93 theres a check for the renderers main texture. However, this is not the valid way in checking if a main texture exists and will result in an error throw on every step if one doesn't exist.

Code (CSharp):
    1. if(!renderer|| !renderer.sharedMaterial || !renderer.sharedMaterial.mainTexture)
    should be replaced with

Code (CSharp):
    1. if(!renderer|| !renderer.sharedMaterial || !renderer.sharedMaterial.HasProperty("_MainTex"))

AngryPixelUnity likes this.
  47. Cyrusc

Cyrusc

@Will-D-Ramsey

You need to create a new tool type that extends FPMelee. Then change the pickaxe model in Male Player FP Root to use this tool type over FPTool. Then modify OnHit to mimic voxeland style digging. This is how I solved it. Note that you also have to create a link to the voxeland object in the pickaxe tool.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using Voxeland5;
    4. namespace UltimateSurvival
    5. {
    6.     /// <summary>
    7.     /// Tool Type that integrates with Voxeland to dig terrain.
    8.     /// Also shoutout to @Winterbyte312 for not putting in any code doc summaries
    9.     /// </summary>
    10.     public class FPPickaxe : FPMelee
    11.     {
    12.         public enum ToolPurpose { BreakTerrain }
    14.         public Voxeland voxeland;
    16.         [Header("Tool Settings")]
    18.         [SerializeField]
    19.         [Tooltip("Useful for breaking the earth")]
    20.         private ToolPurpose[] m_ToolPurposes;
    22.         [SerializeField]
    23.         [Range(0f, 1f)]
    24.         private float m_Efficiency = 0.5f;
    27.         protected override void On_Hit()
    28.         {
    29.             base.On_Hit();
    31.             var raycastData = Player.RaycastData.Get();
    33.             if(!raycastData)
    34.                 return;
    37.             //getting edit mode
    38.             Voxeland.EditMode editMode = Voxeland.EditMode.dig;
    40.             //getting aiming ray
    41.             Ray aimRay = Camera.main.ViewportPointToRay(new Vector3(0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f));
    43.             //aiming terrain block
    44.             Plugins.CoordDir aimCoord = voxeland.PointOut(aimRay);
    46.             if (editMode != Voxeland.EditMode.none && aimCoord.exists)
    47.             {
    48.                 voxeland.Alter(aimCoord, voxeland.brush, editMode,
    49.                     landType: 0, //Forced to be >= 0 due to integration errors
    50.                     objectType: voxeland.objectsTypes.selected,
    51.                     grassType: voxeland.grassTypes.selected);
    52.             }
    54.         }
    55. }
    56. }
    I will make a video later today or tomorrow on how to lightly integrate it. I probably wont cover block dropping

edit: I also will be making a tutorial on integration with Dyox's Terrain Engine when he releases V11 if anyones interested.

48. Cyrusc

Cyrusc

On this note of adding random features, I agree that it shouldn't be considered, but not for the reasons MessyCoder says so. The point of assets is to provide features so you don't have to, if you applied that logic of DIY then you shouldn't be using any assets what so ever. Or even a Game Engine for that matter.

However, there is a strong implied theme of a foundation system to this asset that I feel adding small knick-knacks, like Grappling hooks, will cause development to deviate from this idea of a foundation to a bag of goodies. Currently, the code is poorly documented and poorly structured (e.g. having enemy spawning code put into the same folder as the game controller and data types). While I'm certain this will be fixed in short time and the overall goal for this asset sticks to this theme (as shown in the Trello), a push for small items like grappling hooks will result in more pushes and more pushes until the project has deviated entirely from the original plan, which result in a overall lower quality of the base features due to time/work allocations from the developer. This can be seen in countless assets in the Unity store, take a look at Invectors third person controller, it comes packaged with a health system and a full inventory system and is now a 300mb player controller.

Now I understand the development course is entirely up to the developer, I just wanted to state my hopes for the future of this project as one of its customers.

49. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

The last time I checked it was a Survival game kit, not a kit to make a complete game without any custom work. I dont see how a grappling kit is a core part of a survival kit.

Just my 2cents and has no impact on what anyone else has to think or say :)

50. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

Personally.. I can't wait for official third person controller support :D

Not in a rush though. I went through my withdrawals already, I feel like a Shaolin Monk now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.