Search Unity

[RELEASED] Ultimate Survival - The Complete Survival Template

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AngryPixelUnity, Nov 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jesseganey

jesseganey

Go to build settings And put your map in it and uncheck sample scene.

pccross likes this.
  2. pccross

pccross

Excellent! that worked perfectly. Thanks so much!

3. gegebel

gegebel

you are building the wrong scene probably

4. THREEWGAMESTEKNOLOJIANONIMSIRKETI

THREEWGAMESTEKNOLOJIANONIMSIRKETI

5. uni7y

uni7y

Unity don't work during the weekend :)

6. THREEWGAMESTEKNOLOJIANONIMSIRKETI

THREEWGAMESTEKNOLOJIANONIMSIRKETI

I know, but not approved for a week :D

7. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

I know this is a lot to ask, but @Winterbyte312 could you possibly send out an email to verified users the package file? :p I'm just remembering that it took a month for my own asset to get approved lol.

RobsonFMaciel and adndima like this.
  8. doodle911

doodle911

HYPE

RobsonFMaciel likes this.
  9. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

He wont. I asked via Skype and got this answer... which left me a littlebit nervous.

"We can't send the package since we're not sure it'll be accepted, therefore it might not be the final, working version."

10. doodle911

doodle911

I wouldn't worry about, just let Winterbyte do their thing :)

zef_tutounityfr and jesseganey like this.
  11. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

Ahhh okay. Yeah that's not a problem. I understand why, if something happens for example he may need to modify it and re-upload it which would cause complications with our current project.

doodle911 likes this.
  12. doodle911

doodle911

This

13. paulbuck86

paulbuck86

Code (CSharp):
    1. https://pasteboard.co/gZLA7qwix.png
    Encountered a little problem today; purchased and imported your system into my rpg I'm creating. Console lit up like a xmas tree with 55 errors all referencing a slot problem. Since most of the community isn't having this error. Would there be a setting in Unity that I have checked that perhaps caused that?

14. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

No you can't buy it from them, or get a beta release by emailing directly. It is with unity being quality checked before release shortly.

We all have to be patient and wait for a process that not even AAA gaming studios do well before releasing games.

15. Supgarn

Supgarn

What day you will update Ultimate survival to multiplayer. Thank Man.:):)

16. csharpstudios

csharpstudios

R.I.P to winterbyte.com?

The_Uber_Rasta likes this.
  17. doodle911

doodle911

They probably forgot to pay the domain fee.... :p

18. takayamomijichirorutei

takayamomijichirorutei

i made 4 jumping erotic survival game by this asset ,
    maybe 祭り, but ive had enough. thank you

19. Hlo_man

Hlo_man

can you add a blueprint system that the player would be able to unclok crafts as soon as he learns the new bp

20. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

Hi, and sorry for not being around in the last days, we've been having large problems with the project.

The asset was not accepted. That wouldn't be a big problem but unfortunately my hard drive crashed and lost about 15-20% of the files --> most importantly scripts and scenes.

The last backup I made was 3 weeks ago.
    I tried to use a recovery tool, altough very useful, about 20% of the scripts were unreadable and turned out like this:

Also lost a lot of references and unreadable textures:

Pretty much the worst thing that could've happened at this point.
    We'll take all the measures necessary so that won't happen again in the future.

We're working really hard to get the project to a good enough state and ship it again as fast as possible.
    We really appreciate your patience so far and hopefully you can stick with us a little bit more :(

21. OkeanixTR

OkeanixTR

No problem bro keep your good work. So v0.2 will release in end of June ?

AngryPixelUnity likes this.
  22. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

That's our current aim, yes..

23. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

Looks like you have another Slot class/struct/file in your project.
    Most probably you have a script called Slot as well laying around. Rename it manually to ItemSlot or something similar.

paulbuck86 likes this.
  24. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

Yeah, we paid the domain but it must've been too late. As a sidenote, we'd like to move to our forums starting with 0.2. So we can have the issues and discussions categorized.

25. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

Easy to do it yourself though, let me know if you want some hints and advices.
    We'll see how it might fit in the future, in the project demo.

26. sebasfreelance

sebasfreelance

Is not it worth as backup what you sent for revision to the unity store? There you have to have all the work, no?

27. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

We don't have any way to download it unfortunately, we tried

28. sebasfreelance

sebasfreelance

Bad luck, ok, so wait :(

29. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

Thank you for the suggestions, we'll definitely think of that when we start on 0.3.

30. doodle911

doodle911

Murphy's Law - Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.

But seriously, that's a bit of a buggar. I know how it feels to lose a project - happened to me twice!

My best advice is to just work through it, and to back stuff up!

Good Luck

jesseganey likes this.
  31. Kaen_SG

Kaen_SG

@Winterbyte312

Sorry to hear about the disaster! I would suggest getting in touch with Unity Support and see if they can link you a copy of the 0.2 that you submitted for approval.. I'm sure they can make some provisions since your lost your work locally. We all look forward to seeing the project back on track!

adndima, doodle911 and uni7y like this.
  32. uni7y

uni7y

I believe they will still have a copy of the last submission so it is a good idea to contact them indeed...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  33. doodle911

doodle911

Assuming you haven't done so already, this seems like a good idea :)

34. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

No backup in 3 weeks? I cant believe that. Why no dropbox or any other backup system that run simulatious in the backgrund? Huge dissappointment and that "hhd crash" is something I read too often in combination with asset releases. The in the same time your website goes offline? Sorry but I dont believe that. There must be something else that makes trouble. On Skype you told me that you are not sure that the asset get accepted. How / Why did you where so sure that it got not accepted? Sounds like you know something that you dont telling us. Why are there no screenshots, videos from the new features? Why no WIP shots? Is smells fishy.

I trash that asset now. I doubt there will ever be a 0.2.

adndima likes this.
  35. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

And whats with that Comment that says that you sold the asset exclusivly to a game company and the asset will be removed on the store? The posting was later removed but I swear I have read it here!

36. uni7y

uni7y

that was not send by Winterbyte312 but Winterbyte321

37. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

But maybe its still the truth?!?

38. doodle911

doodle911

It was a joke, posted by "Wintebyte321" and not the real winterbyte, "winterbyte312".

39. doodle911

doodle911

I doubt this very much for the simple fact hay their is no other asset with this level of customer support and I doubt that after all this dedication they would suddenly turn away and abandon it.

On the *very* slim chance that your are correct, BIG DEAL! It isn't the end of the world LOL...

uni7y likes this.
  40. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

@Winterbyte312
    I'll throw in my cynical 2 cents here. I have heard the 'my hard drive failed' excuse a number of times in the past few years of working with subcontractors. Probably 4 out of 5 times it is used as a deadline delay excuse. I am not saying it doesn't happen, but it happens rather rarely.

Data
    As a developer by trade, any loss of data is horrible. I have lost it in the past, but never of any magnitude since I have 3-4 levels of backup at any point in time. I asked in the past for a private repository so that we could see where the asset was headed. That step alone could have averted a large bit of data loss, even without any local data backups in place (which I would never recommend). I waited the requested '2 weeks' (from the Discord channel conversation about repository access on 4/21/2017).

Now, since I have given criticism, I will give my recommendations to fix this. Spend a couple days getting a backup routine in place.
    1. Contact Unity for the submission. They still have a copy.
    2. Setup a private repository (GitLab (recommended, has issue tracker and kanban board built in), GitHub, Atlassian, etc)
      1. check in what your last stable build was as master (pull it from the asset store if you have to)
      2. branch that build as a tag for the version ID
      3. make a branch for the latest unstable code, update that branch to the code that does not work yet. When Unity provides the copy they have, put that into another branch for the 0.2 submission or as a tag to work from.
      4. Give community members access to that repo AFTER your other backup routines are in place and the backup flow is ironed out.
    3. Get either an external hard drive or a second drive in your machine. This is your immediate, automated backup system.
      1. Use it JUST for project backups
      2. Write scripts (or purchase diff backup software) to backup daily/hourly/weekly with X days of backups
      3. Let it back up the whole project folder git and all. Yes, this is not efficient, but you get to keep your stuff up to date and 2TB drives are cheap.
    4. Use the commit button constantly. Like, all the damn time.
    5. Push your updates to the remote repo all the time. Hourly, daily, with each commit, etc.
    Now, these are the bare MINIMUM that is needed to keep a project relatively safe. I also add in a second layer of NAS storage locally with an offsite git backup as well as offsite backup for things like images, design docs, etc. Everything we have is backed up 4 times at the minimum and that doesn't count each person doing similar redundant steps.

Development Cycles
    Are you using Agile? Waterfall? SCRUM? At this point it looks like a waterfall approach, but the goals are FAR too spaced out. Instead of 0.2 being the release point it should have been something close to 0.1.1 through 0.2.0 with multiple change point in between for users to evaluate and give feedback. Again, see the private repository system above to handle this. I like to use a mix of both agile and waterfall. Waterfall for the long milestones and agile for the individual tasks in that milestone.

Recommendations:
    1. Cut the milestone points into small bites (Trello showed good small chunks in far too large major milestones)
    2. Refactor once. Plan your future scope accordingly one time, don't allude to refactoring for each milestone point (0.2, 0.3, 0.4, etc as has been mentioned in previous comments). This cuts developer confidence massively.
    3. Abstract the code base as much as possible. Make putting addons or additional assets to use as painless as possible.
    4. Commit the code to a remote repo and get customer feedback more often (agile style) for the short term goals.
    Project Scope
    Stop planning for new features. Make the best base survival asset that can be made. Abstract the code so that people can add their own features. If you are planning to make a good, solid survival asset that has X features and allows for server auth multiplayer, then stick to those very specific goals.

Recommendations:
    1. Make multiplayer a high priority goal. It is easier to add features to a multiplayer game than to add multiplayer to a feature rich game.
    2. Cut the features to the bare minimum. If the goal is to make a survival base game, then stick to the minimum needed for that goal. Put ANYTHING that is not a direct goal into a wishlist and let it sit there until the base is at a 1.0 point. Even entertaining thoughts on added features (pets, npc dialogs, quests, etc) just shows that the scope of the asset is not fully set and could shift at any point.
    3. Drop the notion of 'two different versions' until one version is at a 1.0 fully developed state. The whole post-apoc version even getting planned or mentioned at this point is moot until the base works. If the code is abstracted then people can take the 1.0 and build their own post-apoc version from it, so long as the base is solid and easily added on to.
    Conclusion
    Take these for what you will. I have been a professional developer for around 10 years now and have worked in various distributed teams on hundreds of projects over the years. Seeing things like scope creep, missed deadlines, and now data loss (leading to yet more missed deadlines) has completely undermined my confidence in the product to the point that we have shifted our main project to other systems that are more solid and limited scope. I treat assets as third party vendors like I would with something I use in my work projects. I would never use something with the track record displayed so far in something for profit without the project doing a 180 and showing much better control over the development and future planning. Now, I will monitor the product for the next few months, and maybe it will become something usable, but at the current state I cannot endorse its usage.

41. wahyuway

wahyuway

OMG o_O So we have to wait another month or so for 0.2. As a developer he should already know that a repo is a must so this disaster will never happen.
    Even my little project has a repo. Hope the best for winterbyte to retrieve data lost :(

42. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

I have an idea! Skip 0.2 and go for 0.3 with multiplayer instantly ...

43. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

I second that. Ive been 20 years in professional advertising business as leading creative director. The "missing" backup is unprofessional and the broken hdd excuse IS excuse No. 1 for broken deadline here.

CaptainMurphy likes this.
  44. gegebel

gegebel

just contact Unity support, they can definitely help. Another month is not acceptable.

45. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

I was expecting this kind of response. The situation is like I presented to you, I made the big mistake of not having backups online, or working through Unity Collab or Github/Bitbucket. We intended to move to Unity Collab/ Git after we would've successfully shipped 0.2, but the unthinkable happened.
    I realise how big of a mistake this is and like I said we're all working hard on recovering the project.

Regardless of anything that happened, we don't have any reason to abandon the project, on the contrary. We can't wait to continue working on it. Especially on the MP. We'll aim for submitting the project in 2 weeks along with having a playable demo and videos.

Thank you for the suggestions and opinions, I understand your disappointment, and we don't have what to do other than working harder on delivering these updates.

46. OkeanixTR

OkeanixTR

Why not acceptable ? You are not forced to buy this asset dear asset-flipper. I don't care if you going to publish your asset flip game with v0.2. He can release anytime he want. You bought v0.1 of this asset. not v0.2

47. doodle911

doodle911

This, this is why this asset is great.

48. doodle911

doodle911

Out of curiosity, what features were lost from the HDD failure?

49. Brandon_Powell

Brandon_Powell

this doesn't feel good... really sorry for the loss of your work, also, now sorry i invested in additional assets in anticipation of the release.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  50. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

The main thing is the new UI, the GUI prefab and the main scene came out unreadable.
    I'm redoing the UI layout at the moment. fortunately most UI scripts are intact. But the prefab is lost, I have to rebuild it from the old 0.1 one.

The next is almost all references and custom values from the inspector, were lost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.