Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Ultimate Survival - The Complete Survival Template

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AngryPixelUnity, Nov 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twodave

twodave

Been playing around with integrating Voxeland 5 (and Map Magic 1.8) with this. Early days but wasn't that bad.

@Winterbyte312 I changed the way MineableObject was being invoked so there was a stub class with just the tool hit function available to override, it made it cleaner than having attributes I didn't care about in the inspector. The other change was adding the aim Ray to the raycast data the player event handler was keeping, this is needed without duplicating a whole lot of Voxeland code related to it's PointOut function (which only accepts a Ray).

2. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Hello Winterbyte, did you published 0.2 yet?

3. uni7y

uni7y

4. jesseganey

jesseganey

Its being reviewed by unity so yes

5. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

where do you see it?

6. gegebel

gegebel

7. jesseganey

jesseganey

On the trello

8. Gunsrequiem

Gunsrequiem

Voxeland 5 is excellent, and I'll be implementing a very similar feature as well. It's nice that the creator includes the script documentation right in the main documentation so that it's simple to do this.

9. zef_tutounityfr

zef_tutounityfr

That looks really cool

Edit : Is it easy to implement with Ultimate Survival ? Never tried Voxeland

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  10. Gunsrequiem

Gunsrequiem

Yes, you just need to call the functions that come with the asset. You can generally use the system however you like.

zef_tutounityfr likes this.
  11. csharpstudios

csharpstudios

I would love to do this, but is it possible to detect the texture of the object hit? Allowing that if you hit rock you get products of mineable rock script?

12. Gunsrequiem

Gunsrequiem

Well, I can think of three primary ways to do this. The first, and likely the most challenging, would be to somehow call the type of land and then actually instantiate a GameObject (the products) on hit that is based upon the land type. The second and third could be governed by a game world object that you would either generate through the Voxeland generation methodology, or place by hand (if you want them underground, etc.) In the former case, as I have done in my project, the prefabs are spawned above the ground in random areas and add a bit to the realism. I have also hand-crafted caves and tunnel systems wherein I have actually placed specific objects. This first video shows a bit of that implementation back when I still had FP only in my project:

And this second shows how the terrain can be edited by hand (I crafted the space for the water GameObject and the tunnel by hand using Voxeland's brush editor):

The_Uber_Rasta likes this.
  13. csharpstudios

csharpstudios

Ok thanks

14. Gunsrequiem

Gunsrequiem

Sure thing! Ultimate Survival truly does open a lot of doors for people like us who love survival/resource gathering games.

15. twodave

twodave

Yeah it's fairly easy, since Voxeland is a voxel terrain engine, so the mesh and textures are just a representation of the underlying voxel data. You can directly query the block type where the tool hits and act on that type.

It's next on my to do list, I'll try an approach of having a reference table of tool types, block types, and what to spawn or add to inventory, I think.

Gunsrequiem and nielshenriksen like this.
  16. Demonith88

Demonith88

IS there saving progress or just resets when u leaving ? and when multiplayer get out

17. Gunsrequiem

Gunsrequiem

You can find the answers to any questions you might have about features here: Roadmap

As for the 0.2 release, we expect it to be available within 10 business days, as the Winterbyte team already submitted it via the Unity approval process.

18. Demonith88

Demonith88

Well yeah i seen it aloot of work well i watching so keep up at good work

19. twodave

twodave

So I added the Voxeland block type to loot map, so we can harvest from the terrain now! Not very hard to add at all.

20. Gunsrequiem

Gunsrequiem

twodave--I'm curious to see how you did that! Any chance you could send me an example of the coding process you went through in a message? It would be much appreciated!

21. csharpstudios

csharpstudios

@twodave Me too, or like a quick and straight forward tutorial would be nice. I just purchased Voxelland two days ago so I dont know much about it.
    --
    Also, cant someone who likes this asset be a asset reviewer for unity?

22. Legend458

Legend458

That looks awesome! How did you do that?

grosgames likes this.
  23. Will-D-Ramsey

Will-D-Ramsey

Need this in my game!

24. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

I know you have plans to support top view and third person mode. Can you tell when that is? I just saw the roadmap. Integration with the invector's toolkit is highly anticipated.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  25. Kaen_SG

Kaen_SG

I too am very interested in your process to get to this stage since you said it was not very hard. :)
    I do not have voxeland yet but I would consider getting that if it wasn't too hard to implement with this template
    Thanks for sharing TwoDave!

26. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

I got to say I am very impressed :) Looks nice!

27. nielshenriksen

nielshenriksen

So nice... I need that to :)

28. csharpstudios

csharpstudios

@Winterbyte312
    what all will save & load save?
    I'm guessing it will save buildables the user placed, the players location in the scene, the content of the players inventory, including item durability, and ammunition in guns, the players hunger/heath/thirst, and time of day.

What else will it save?
    How easy will it be to add new things to the save list for beginning programmers and non-programmers?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  29. twodave

twodave

I'm just a casual coder in spare moments between work and kids so it's not going to be a full tutorial.

The way I did it was attach to the Voxeland main object a script which was based off the MineableObject script - I'd broken it down into just the call for the tool hit and the loot messages in a base class (MineableGeneric was what I called it), then changed the test in the player event system from looking for a MineableObject type to the genetic one above. And changed the class inheritance on MineableObject to use my generic class instead.

I did that just to remove cruft from the inspector for the terrain mining script.

The other big change to US was in the player raycast manager adding the original Ray to the held raycast data on the player. Voxeland needs a Ray to look up coordinates.

The terrain script is attached to the main Voxeland object but this isn't what US calls directly. Since Voxeland uses chunks of terrain, US actually tried to invoke the tool hit function (from MineableObject or now MineableGeneric classes) on the chunk not the main object. So you need to tick the "Copy components" box on Voxeland script in inspector.

The tool hit function itself just pulls the Ray out of the raycast player data, uses it with Voxeland's PointOut() function to get the coordinates of the voxel hit, the we call on the Voxeland object data.GetBlock() with the coordinates and that gives us the block type.

Should be easy from there, just map the type into the inventory item and tool function (I used an array of a class for each attribute) and follow your nose on how MineableObject adds the item.

Sorry this is a bit brief, on train typing on mobile!

30. twodave

twodave

Oh, and I'd at that I could store the map of block types to items as tools by modifying Voxeland (add them on to the block type information) but I'd tried to avoid doing that. And I was thinking that I wanted to allow per tool efficiency.

31. Gunsrequiem

Gunsrequiem

Thanks, man!

32. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Isn't the save game and load game a snap shot of the the players activity at any given moment in a single player game?

33. ChadWoodworth

ChadWoodworth

Still no .2... well I don't want to get peoples hopes up but it should be available anytime now. I don't know why I'm waiting for it other then scripting issues. This seems like that moment where I made a big mistake. I don't think I need 0.2 at this stage or ever did.

The Ultimate Survival asset is really great. I just can't do inventory for the life of me. I can do everything else though so if it happens to be 0.1 or 0.12 or even 0.2 it still was money well spent.

The_Uber_Rasta likes this.
  34. EvansSoftware

EvansSoftware

I agree with twodave, it was very straight forward to integrate Voxeland with Ultimate Survival, I had previously integrated V4 of Voxeland with another first person system but Voxeland V5 is much better especially when used with Map Magic. Ultimate Survival seems to be the goto asset at the moment, I have had great fun modifying and adding to it's capabilities over the last few weeks, code is well written.

Ullukai, Reiner and The_Uber_Rasta like this.
  35. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Maybe the almighty awsome @Messycoder could make a tutorial how to implement Voxeland V5 into US. PLEASE!!!!

36. Legend458

Legend458

I also back this. It would be fantastic to see the messy coder make a tutorial on this.

37. csharpstudios

csharpstudios

Mee tooo

Ullukai likes this.
  38. gegebel

gegebel

Didn't he say he is out for 1 month or so ?

39. Ullukai

Ullukai

me threeee
    (buys voxeland and does not know how to make it work with US)

The_Uber_Rasta and csharpstudios like this.
  40. csharpstudios

csharpstudios

Yes but when he gets back
    Totally didn't do that(thats exactly what i did)

41. jontebeatz1337

jontebeatz1337

@Winterbyte312
    How do I make the trees respawn after a few minutes?

42. sebasfreelance

sebasfreelance

Any video to see that we will find in the v2.0?

I'm impatient;)

43. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

Well, the good news is he's getting lots of time (I hope) to get some awesome 2.0 tutorials done :)

And rest hopefully. I know from a coder's standpoint lol.

gegebel and nielshenriksen like this.
  44. ronaldomoon

ronaldomoon

Just throwing in my two cents here but it seems like The Messy Coder has tutorials covered. I'd rather Winterbyte get those 0.21 items taken care of and then move on to 0.3. Again, just my opinion and I'll be happy either way.

45. gegebel

gegebel

most tutorials won't be of any use if the code changed as much as @Winterbyte312 said.
    Before talking about 0.21 or even 0.3 I'd love to see what's with 0.2 first.

46. EvansSoftware

EvansSoftware

I would suggest you start looking through the Voxeland code if you have not already done so. There is not too much code as it is a procedural engine but can be tricky to understand, fortunately you do not have to understand the math behind any of it just the points in the demo which do something similar to what you want such as digging a block!
    Don't rely too much on someone else writing the code you need otherwise we will end up with 100 Messy Coder versions of Ultimate Survival on sale!!! Oh and for those who may be interested in eventually producing a game Steam Greenlight is finished as of yesterday to be replaced by Steam Direct in a weeks time.

47. gegebel

gegebel

luckily got greenlit some time ago :D

48. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

A showcase video for 0.2 or a video with Emerald?

Third person in 0.3. It is required for multiplayer. And Invector as well, hopefully that kit is modular so it won't be a pain to mantain it in the future.

49. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

*** I added Voxeland support for 0.21. It'll be a great package to integrate with. Not sure why we haven't thought about it before.

50. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

If I do not need multiplayer, can I make a third-person singles game without multiplayer?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.