Search Unity

[RELEASED] Ultimate Survival - The Complete Survival Template

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AngryPixelUnity, Nov 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FractalCore

FractalCore

Hi, I've just started using Ultimate Survival and I'm very impressed. Very happy with it.

I have noticed what seems like a bug with the chopping down (removal) of trees from the Unity terrain. Apologies if someone already brought this up.

In order to make the best of the precision errors at long distance from world 0,0,0, I like to move the centre of my terrain to world 0,0,0. (instead of the terrain corner being there)

Unfortunately the Tree Manager script on the terrain seems to expect the terrain to be in it's original position and the "Empty Trees" with colliders are created in the wrong places.

Here you can see I moved the terrain by 1m, colliders in the wrong places.

Clipboard-1.jpg

2. sebasfreelance

sebasfreelance

Hi, from the build plane

3. kottabos

kottabos

yeah this has been asked a few times, including by myself so I can help you here. This is a known issue and is apparently fixed already for version .2, so when that comes at the end of the month you shouldn't see this problem again.
    for now though what you can do is offset your tree collider as a simple fix. in your tree manager on the terrain for each tree you add you'll see under it is a positional offset. so all you need to do is change the offset of those to whatever your terrain is offset by. so if terrain is offset X -10 and Z -10 change your tree offset to X -10 and Z -10

4. bobbybau

bobbybau

You do realize this will never be finished. Like other developers on unity. A few packages will be updated.. and its a good start for whatever you are doing but right in the middle or perhaps close to the end, like all others this will disappear which in fact will keep you from publishing anything. Larger game developers watch things like this and make sure nothing is ever released to the public to keep this from happening. They contact the developers and buy the rights to everything and then the developers of stuff like this just disappear. So dont hold your breath on anything ever being completed

5. txarly

txarly

Hi,i think i have found a bug

When you are going to place an object, let´s say the campfire for example, seems to create 2 clones, one where you are placing and other at (10000,10000,10000).If you cancel the placement, this last one still remains.So if you place and cancel different times the same object different instances of the object are created.I am using the last unity version 5.6.0f3, may be this is the problem.

Thanks for your work

6. sebasfreelance

sebasfreelance

I hope that at least end the provisions of the following updates.

I hope you're not working on apocaliptica version and the version avenze survival slowly.

do not forget that this is a business of making assets and selling assets in the store, just hope not comvierta in an early asset as steam where many games fall by the wayside.

Sorry my inglish

bobbybau likes this.
  7. Will-D-Ramsey

Will-D-Ramsey

Do you have a point? there are many assets on the store that are still in development but have great support from devs who know what their doing. Dont get me wrong, i've seen this pack and others just slightly altered and put out as a game, and i've seen asset packs disappear off the store. But you cant say its not going to ever be finished until the developer shows signs of faltering, I check the Trello board and see the updates get added. And his support is some of the best.

bobbybau and TheMessyCoder like this.
  8. sebasfreelance

sebasfreelance

I guess everything depends on the support of the people to the developers.

This asset is in the top of shopping in the store, this is good for them and for those who have bought the asset.

If we help within our possibilities to the developers this asset will not fall into oblivion.

And surely they will, again congratulations on the job!

bobbybau likes this.
  9. Will-D-Ramsey

Will-D-Ramsey

Exactly, was going to point out that this assets popularity is great for its future.

10. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

Sorry for the delay in response, my internet connection went down 2 days ago.

Exactly, we know that, we're working on that for v0.2. Better and easier to use AI + better docs & tutorials.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're talking about Survival Pack? https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/80474https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/80474
    This is my brother's pack, originating from Utlimate Survival's art.
    The clothes were rigged in Blender, maybe we'll create a video in the future, but I think it's better to use UMA: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/35611
    TheMessyCoder has a good video on it:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi! And thank you :)
    Make sure you're using Unity 5.5. If you do, send an e-mail with a few screenshots and more info, we'll help you

Hi
    We know about the offset problem, it's fixed in v0.2.
    If you want the fix, replace the TreeManager script with this:
    (Make a backup of the old script and let me know if it works)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. namespace UltimateSurvival
    6. {
    7.     [Serializable]
    8.     public class TreeCreator
    9.     {
    10.         public int PrototypeIndex { get { return m_PrototypeIndex; } }
    12.         [SerializeField]
    13.         [ClampAttribute(0, 100)]
    14.         private int m_PrototypeIndex;
    16.         [SerializeField]
    17.         private MineableObject m_Prefab;
    19.         [SerializeField]
    20.         private Vector3 m_PositionOffset;
    22.         [SerializeField]
    23.         private Vector3 m_RotationOffset;
    26.         public MineableObject CreateTree(Terrain terrain, TreeInstance treeInstance, int treeIndex)
    27.         {
    28.             if(!m_Prefab)
    29.             {
    30.                 Debug.LogError("[TreeCreator] - This tree creator has no tree prefab assigned! | Prototype Index: " + m_PrototypeIndex);
    31.                 return null;
    32.             }
    34.             Transform parent = null;
    35.             if(terrain.transform.FindDeepChild("Trees") != null)
    36.                 parent = terrain.transform.FindDeepChild("Trees");
    37.             else
    38.             {
    39.                 parent = new GameObject("Trees").transform;
    40.                 parent.position = terrain.transform.position;
    41.                 parent.SetParent(terrain.transform, true);
    42.             }
    44.             Vector3 position = Vector3.Scale(treeInstance.position, terrain.terrainData.size) + terrain.transform.position;
    45.             var tree = GameObject.Instantiate(m_Prefab, position + m_PositionOffset, Quaternion.Euler(m_RotationOffset), parent);
    47.             tree.Destroyed.AddListener(()=> On_TreeDestroyed(terrain, treeInstance, treeIndex));
    49.             return tree;
    50.         }
    52.         private void On_TreeDestroyed(Terrain terrain, TreeInstance treeInstance, int treeIndex)
    53.         {
    54.             treeInstance.widthScale = treeInstance.heightScale = 0f;
    55.             terrain.terrainData.SetTreeInstance(treeIndex, treeInstance);
    56.         }
    57.     }
    59.     [RequireComponent(typeof(Terrain))]
    60.     public class TreeManager : MonoBehaviour
    61.     {
    62.         [SerializeField]
    63.         private TreeCreator[] m_TreeCreators;
    65.         private Terrain m_Terrain;
    66.         private List<MineableObject> m_Trees = new List<MineableObject>();
    67.         private TreeInstance[] m_InitialTrees;
    70.         private void Awake()
    71.         {
    72.             m_Terrain = GetComponent<Terrain>();
    73.             m_InitialTrees = m_Terrain.terrainData.treeInstances;
    75.             var treeInstances = m_Terrain.terrainData.treeInstances;
    77.             for(int i = 0;i < treeInstances.Length;i ++)
    78.             {
    79.                 var creator = GetTreeCreator(treeInstances[i].prototypeIndex);
    81.                 if(creator != null)
    82.                     m_Trees.Add(creator.CreateTree(m_Terrain, treeInstances[i], i));
    83.             }
    84.         }
    86.         private TreeCreator GetTreeCreator(int prototypeIndex)
    87.         {
    88.             for(int i = 0;i < m_TreeCreators.Length;i ++)
    89.             {
    90.                 if(m_TreeCreators[i].PrototypeIndex == prototypeIndex)
    91.                     return m_TreeCreators[i];
    92.             }
    94.             return null;
    95.         }
    97.         private void OnApplicationQuit()
    98.         {
    99.             m_Terrain.terrainData.treeInstances = m_InitialTrees;
    100.         }
    101.     }
    102. }

Hmm, we'll investigate that, Unity 5.6 may be the issue though. We're redoing the building system though, so the problem will not be in v0.2 anyways.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Will-D-Ramsey likes this.
  11. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

Did you try the terrain protection?

12. bobbybau

bobbybau

Sorry for my frustrations, I just get tired of getting involved with assets to see them just drop off the face of the earth. My problem is I am not a coder so I am very limited to problem solving and rely too much on developers to fix things. I should invest my energy into learning I guess. Anyways good luck and hope to see this asset evolve fully

13. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

I have seen larger companies buy assets only a few times. And these have been of other asset producers buying kits also.
    Which cases are you talking about?

Are you including in your summary that asset kits dont get completed, kits like UFPS, Gaia, Terrain Composer, Playmaker, Realistic FPS, Archimatix, All the decent TPC kits, Love Hate, Adventure Creator Kit, Behaviour Designer, RTP, TradeSys, UniStorm, Emerald AI, ICE Creature Control, World Streamer, Inventory Pro, Dialogue System aaah the list goes on!!!

I feel like I am about to go in to lecturing mode and explain basic project management and the term 'definition of done'.

Many assets meet their definition of done, these are stable kits of software that meet the requirements for what they were set out to acheive. Are they completed in that they will never be touched again? I hope no!
    Because Unity is always being updated and many of these developers work hard to make sure their kits are not only compatible but also take advantage of new technologies and development.

These kits are being constantly improved and updated. For which we all should be greatful because many of these updates are FREEEEEEEEEEE! Free to us that is, not free to the developers who spend hours, days, weeks and months updating their software for existing clients knowing that they will not receive an additional penny from recurring revenue.

Occasionally you may see a paid update, and even then the developers have to put up with someone complaining that they now have to pay a few quid more for something they purchased 3 yrs ago for about $30.

Are there people making assets and then running off leaving their customers with crap software, broken code and useless art work? Yes! However these 'creators' are getting called out for it and earning a bad reputation, hopefully having their work removed from the store.

Which is even more reason that when we see developers trying to make something new, and obviously trying to support their customers, we need to support them back in return.

Many of these asset creators dont make a lot of money or have the success that others may have. Many asset creators become disillusioned with the asset store and receiving abuse because there wasn't a magic 'make my game for me with no effort' button included. And I have seen a good number of decent devs or artist just walk away from the Unity store.

So your comment, does fill me with somewhat of a keyboard rage so I apologise for having a long rant. But I don't apologise for saying it.

+1 support for Winterbyte

14. ShatterGlassGames

ShatterGlassGames

i fixed this issue by adding a socket to the lamp. That way it only sticks to the roof and second floors only.

siblingrivalry likes this.
  15. VisionStudiosUK

VisionStudiosUK

Just downloaded what seems to be a really good survival template but I've got a few problems which I can't seem to fix. This may be down to the fact I'm using the new unity 5.6 engine but the crafting items are not showing on the inventory menu. I also can't seem to drag items on the inventory menu but I can when I go to interact with an object e.g when you get loot in the game. I hope someone can help me with this problem so I can start further developing this asset :)

16. Sorrowthief

Sorrowthief

Are you still going to do the workstation tutorial? Really looking forward to that one :)

17. Warspawn

Warspawn

Right now you need 5.5, 5.6 is broken for 0.11 of ultimate survival

18. Warspawn

Warspawn

Found some bugs with pickups. Right now in itemPickup if the inventory fails to pickup the item (full most likely) it'll just destroy the pickup gameobject. That one's an easy fix, just move the Destroy inside the conditional, and can even add a nice message:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. if(added)
    3.             {
    4.                 if(m_OnDestroySound)
    5.                     GameController.Audio.Play2D(m_OnDestroySound, m_OnDestroyVolume);
    7.                 MessageDisplayer.Instance.PushMessage(string.Format("Picked up <color=yellow>{0}</color> x {1}", ItemToAdd.Name, ItemToAdd.CurrentInStack));
    9.                 Destroy(gameObject);
    10.             } else
    11.             {
    12.                 MessageDisplayer.Instance.PushMessage("Inventory Full", Color.red);
    13.             }
    One that is worse is that the "added" boolean value is determined by the stack qty that is added being > 0; So if you have a full inventory (slot wise), and a stack of items that *isn't* full, and then try to pickup something that is another stack of those items that will fill your stack and have a remainder, the remainder will be destroyed.

I guess the expected behavior would be to leave the pickup and extract the stack that you have room for.

For example, I set my max stack of water bottles to 16. If I have a full inventory except a stack of 10 water bottles, and then I try to pickup another stack of 10, it should take 6 to fill me to 16, and then leave a stack of 4.

Love this asset BTW! Great job!

19. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

This behaviour existed in 0.1 but was commented because we need to implement a position property for each container. The position is important for external containers like furnaces, campfires, etc. (So they can drop the remainder at their position, and not player's).

20. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

Use Unity 5.5 if you can :) Sorry for this but Unity 5.6 has a bug which breaks the UI in Ultimate Survival, otherwise we would've updated the project to 5.6.

21. FractalCore

FractalCore

It works perfectly, thanks for that.

I just have to say how impressed I am with the FPS player system in this. Right from the start it has great options and everything I could want in an FPS controller, apart from reloading, coming soon 0.2 :), to say nothing of this being just a part of the whole Ultimate Survival project. A bargain.

I especially like the sliding on slopes effect how it will start a slide if it's too steep, then jump the player off to their death. Like it should. To force the player to watch their step while giving them enough control to feel like they can master it.

A couple of questions about that. The Slope Multiplier, can it be used to slow the player going up hill and speed up going down hill? Right now it just sets a speed based on slope angle. Not sure if this was the intention.

Also, Air Control. Is it functional yet? When cranked up, it seems to rocket the player forward when jumping. It should let the player control direction while in the air shouldn't it?

Now a weird question, if I wanted something other than the player to chop down trees, how easy is that. Is it possible without going into programming, I only use Playmaker. Which can work with the public variables in scripts. But I can't figure it out. I thought it might work if I could just use Playmaker to send a given Empty Tree the command to be chopped down. I've always wanted a system to let me remove trees from a terrain at runtime... If it's too involved I'll just leave it. I'm just thinking of possible ideas to put into a game.

22. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

- At the moment Slope Multiplier only multiplies the speed, doesn't take into account if you're going down or uphill.
    - Yes it is functional, try to offset it by small amounts and see what happens. It might need some updates
    - To chop down something, you have the OnToolHit method, which is public. Let me know if it works with PlayMaker otherwise I'll create a simplified versions that does. It should work though.

23. Saturn-Ent

Saturn-Ent

Hi, Love this package. Have a question tho.
    Im using the Suimono water system, which has a nice system for buoyancy etc, but this relies on rigidbody as it uses force to add floating effect and swimming features, and when ticking of "is kinematic", im getting weird results. This is prob because of the collision with character controller component?

Does anyone know a neat way to make this pack work with Suimono?

Or if not. How can I make the character swim when entering the water? Via trigger or something else.

24. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

We're working on a swimming system for v0.2.
    You can create a script which disables the CharacterController and CCDrivenController components when you're in water, and activate the Rigidbody, also in that script, based on the player input, you can add forces to the Rigidbody to move through water.
    If you're a programmer I can give you more details, if needed.

25. FractalCore

FractalCore

I couldn't find OnToolHit anywhere that Playmaker could make use of it. But, I did find two partial ways to make my idea work.

Every Empty Tree can have Playmaker on it waiting for a Health variable to change from 100 to 0. Then Playmaker knows which tree the player chopped down and can take over.

The other way which is probably better. The "dead" tree that gets swapped in can have Playmaker on it and I can control what to do next.

I've just now set up a system where you can go around one-hitting trees and it adds a placeholder cube at the base. Like an explosive. Then press a key and they all fall over at once. Here's a screen shot.

Also, I flipped the green channel in the normal map for your axe. I think it was backwards for Unity.

Attached Files:

26. Will-D-Ramsey

Will-D-Ramsey

Yeah you have a good point, I've been using Unity for almost 6 years and i've only recently gotten into paid assets. I set out to do everything for the game on my own, im not bad. I can 3d Model, code, animate a little bit, handle audio, post processing, etc. This foundation of "a bit of everything" made me prepared to bring in assets and code from the store, as it was essentially just higher quality code that I will be replacing the models im using from paid assets.

-Will

27. Will-D-Ramsey

Will-D-Ramsey

I had a system where everytime the tree was hit the Mesh was swapped with one the had some wood chopped from the base, after a few with (mesh keeps swapping) then the object gets replaced with one that has the upper cut part of the tree use a Rigidbody, this looks very nice and players have told me its very satisfying. Im working on implementing this my self.

28. Will-D-Ramsey

Will-D-Ramsey

So OnToolHit get called when a tool i.e axe, hits the object with the Tree script? Im trying to use my tree chopping system that needs a call every time the tree is hit.

Any ideas,
    Thanks.

Sorry for the mass of post, im heading to work now and could use some ideas as I mull it over instead of working.

29. dashasalo

dashasalo

Winterbyte312, you mentioned that the building system is being reworked. Is it going to be very different in terms of how it works under the hood? Is it worth spending time integrating with the current one or better wait for the new release? Thanks!

30. Spymoi

Spymoi

Hey, i got the asset, everything works fine but nothing appear to craft in the crafting tab in any category, any solutions ? Thanks !

31. sebasfreelance

sebasfreelance

Forgive but I do not know how to do that, I still know little about unity

Ok, thanks, I'll try it.

32. secondsight_

secondsight_

Hey,

I´ve read the manual and searched the forum quickly, but coulnd´t find a confirmation: Is it planned to have a weight system for objects with effect on stamina ?

Thanks!

33. OGCamel

OGCamel

Could you make a tutorial for extending the AI behavior? It's taking me quite a while to wrap my head around it and I'd rather some definitive instructions on how to add to the AI goals and actions and such.

34. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

Well, give me more info on your chopping system. Go into the OnToolHit method, and call your tree chopping system from there.

You're probably using Unity 5.6, which breaks the UI due to an internal bug. Use 5.5 if you can, while we develop v0.2 which will be published with Unity 5.6.

I was thinking of that in the last few days, it'll most probably be included in v0.2.

We're changing the AI code in v0.2, and we'll include what you want in the docs.

The building system will work differently under the hood. The best would be to wait for v0.2.

35. txarly

txarly

hey,

would be possible to have a vendor or shop for 0.2? or may be some guide to implement it?

thanks

36. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

We won't implement a vendor or shop in v0.2 nor in any version after that. But we'll have this feature in the post apocalyptic version of Ultimate Survival.
    Implementing such a system would be easy, after we publish v0.2 contact us and I'll implement a simple vendor & shop system for your project :).

ShatterGlassGames likes this.
  37. mimminito

mimminito

This comment right here people is why its an amazing asset. The level of support the team is giving is HUGE! Thank you :)

AngryPixelUnity likes this.
  38. txarly

txarly

I agree with you mimminito, specially for people like me that don´t know to code very well but enjoy making games.

39. Spymoi

Spymoi

Still not working on Unity 5.5 , will try new solutions, thank you !

40. Spymoi

Spymoi

If someone have a solution to the craft that don't appear in the crafting tab thank you !

41. Spymoi

Spymoi

My bad, i created a new project and it worked ! Thank you so much :)

AngryPixelUnity likes this.
  42. ShatterGlassGames

ShatterGlassGames

what do you mean? You want the queue to show in your HUD or a different window?

Something like these?

TheSeawolf likes this.
  43. ShatterGlassGames

ShatterGlassGames

@Winterbyte312

I noticed these while looking around https://opengameart.org . I downloaded them, imported them and they look amazing. They even match the Stone Hatchet style. I guess my questions are, are they also created by your brother and are they free?

TheSeawolf likes this.
  44. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

Yes, they're created by my brother, Lucian.

45. sebasfreelance

sebasfreelance

I need help please

I do not get my arms working, no animation is applied, I think I have everything right.

There a video in case it is worth to locate the problem, thx!

If I clone for example the ax, and I put the machete, it works well, something happens to the model, the rig I have it right, the only thing that the rig and the skin in 3dsmax I have done, but I think it's the same hands Which has been used in this asset, since it is worth the same texture :)

46. lowbudgetdesigner

lowbudgetdesigner

Is your roadmap up to date?

47. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

Not entirely, we have some connected features which will be "ticked" at once.

48. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

I see you have animations there, when you click on the Machete model in the project, and then go to the Animation tab, and play animations there, can you see the animations? They play successfully?

The animations are probably broken. Let me know more.
    I can send you the .blend file we used for the axe, and you can import the machete and export it back in Unity.

One more thing, in the FPMeleeAnimator script, make sure you dragged the machete's "Model" object;
    You may've left the old Model object there, from the axe maybe.

49. lowbudgetdesigner

lowbudgetdesigner

Thanks for the quick response! I asked because with half the month gone and only a small portion of the April updates completed I'm a little worried whether you'll complete April's tasks on time. How is everything looking?

50. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

I understand your concern, up until this point we've been redesigning a lot of systems implemented in 0.1, so that's why you haven't seen much activity there. Even if we get over the deadline, it won't be more than 7 - 10 days. I'll post info on that at the end of the month. I'll let you know where we are with the development.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
unityunity