Search Unity

[RELEASED] Ultimate Survival - The Complete Survival Template

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AngryPixelUnity, Nov 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

* how to get the kit to work with other player controllers.
    * how to set up the building component to create different object types and adding building pieces
    * how to set up inventory management: weight restrictions, currency, item quality levels, etc.

2. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

Great :)

Making the kit work with other controllers will require an integration. Which controllers do you have in mind? UFPS?

3. Stinefelt

Stinefelt

Gaia would be good for integration, I don't draw and this nifty asset helps to make me wonderful terrain lol. I would like to see some tutorials around character customization, as i'm not sure if you have something custom for that. In the demo it it whips past what looks like a character scene.

4. ShatterGlassGames

ShatterGlassGames

I would like to know if you created the first person controller from sctarch or if yu used the build-in unity FPS controller. In my WIP project i'm using the standard Unity Character Controller (NOT RIGIDBODY) but with more options that i added over time and I wanted to know if you used the standard Unity controller (Rigidbody or not) so I can have an idea how much I will have to change to make this asset work with my UI and Environment.

5. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

It's not really a character scene, it's just a visualization of the player, so you can see how it looks when you equip certain items.

Made it from scratch. Don't worry about integrating your controller, it's easy. If you can't do it in a timely manner, just let me know and I'll integrate everything through Team Viewer in no time

6. ShatterGlassGames

ShatterGlassGames

Great. that's good to know.

7. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

Not just FPS, but also would be interesting to see how you can get it to work with third person, especially to make sure building placement works.
    Opsive, Ooti, Invector, etc.

Not sure that you would need anything specific for that. Gaiai would be on the terrain and shouldnt really be impacted by the kit. Just the same as getting the kit working on any existing terrain.

Would be good to see how you will work with uNature though :)

8. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

uNature is a must have integration, added on Trello.

9. SocketByte

SocketByte

Another one... not everyone are a 3D modellers, not everyone are graphic designers like me. I'm just a simple programmer, without possibilities to do any art stuff. I mostly buy them from other people. The asset would be not practical without proper models.

I only agree with more extensions for higher price than $50, it's really cheap. But not placeholders... how you will advertise product with white boxes instead of proper models xD think people, think!

StevenPicard likes this.
  10. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

But are you seriously thinking that you can make a game with a 50USD kit on the asset store without any additional assets or artwork?
    I dont think anyone would be able to consider that an option.

Personally I would like to see more restrictions in place that would force buyers to deviate from the vanilla kits out of the box. No one wants to see another parade of UnitZ clones on the steam store damaging the reputation of the asset creators and unity.

For placeholders they dont need to be white box, instead they could be simple basic models with simple textures to be used.
    Or as I suggested also, just a stripped down version of the art asset kit. No need need for the full art asset set.
    Other kits on the asset store already have similar practices by using 'lite' versions of existing art assets. So that there is just enough to get a user started.

If you want more attractive models, then looks like they have a skilled artist who will be able to create additional assets.

11. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

Both of you are correct. We'll keep a good amount of models in the main kit, and then we'll create a few extensions like:
    - Ultimate Survival : Enemy Pack
    - Ultimate Survival : Gun Pack
    - Ultimate Survival : Animal Pack
    etc...
    These will contain a lot of models from that category. And a lot of variations, so that will fit most people's project.
    But as I said, the main kit will contain a lot of art as well, it's just these will have a lot more variation. The kits will be priced at about 15$ so I think that will be perfect. If anybody wants an extension for the kit, they just buy it, if it fits the project.

12. Dramamine0001

Dramamine0001

I noticed on Trello v.2 has spring-based camera and weapon motions. So, are the weapons using Mechnim animations right now?

I suggest tutorials for:
    1. New project setup
    2. Existing project setup (if different)
    3. Quickstart/overview of main features and settings
    4. Changing assets (weapons, tools, animations)
    5. Changing UI components
    6. (Developer) Code structure overview, suggested ways to make code changes/additions

Johns_Art likes this.
  13. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

No they're not using animations, but they're not as dynamic and fluid as I want them. They use simple sine-bobs, linear sway & offsets. Springs will allow easier customisation & will make them very fluid.

Very good suggestions! Thank you

14. SocketByte

SocketByte

I didn't say that I can build my own game with 50 USD asset. I've spend much on art, shaders etc. and that's really not enough to make a game. You need an idea, not just asset flip. Own inventions, new ideas - that's a fundament of a good game. I'm against asset flipping and stealing other work too - don't get me wrong. But removing completely any art from a package is just a shot in a knee.

"how you will advertise product with white boxes instead of proper models xD think people, think!"
    You get me wrong, I mean Ultimate Survival product. No one (maybe not these advanced graphic designers) will buy a template without any art.

15. Firesoft

Firesoft

This Asset is made by Brothers? :D

SocketByte likes this.
  16. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

:) we are both saying the same thing then.

Nice, looking forward to seeing these down the road.

SocketByte likes this.
  17. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

18. Hlo_man

Hlo_man

i just the manual it is realy good and i really like how easy it is to add and remove stuff and edit the hole thing.

good job and thanks :)

19. zombieslayer420

zombieslayer420

How To Make Custom Map generation

20. ShatterGlassGames

ShatterGlassGames

21. Rombie

Rombie

? For this you would use your choice of terrain generation; Gaia, TerrainComposer, WorldMachine, etc.. winterbyte is making a survival system. Not a terrain system.

22. Rombie

Rombie

This is completely inaccurate. Most people who buy templates like this one it's for the code and not the art.

Winterbyte could release this package without the models only using programmer art and it will still see just as many sales.

Programmers buy art. Artist buy code.

23. zombieslayer420

zombieslayer420

never say i wanted this for just the code just saying a tutorial

24. Rombie

Rombie

That comment wasn't directed towards you. The comment above that one was.

25. zombieslayer420

zombieslayer420

oh for some reason i thought it say you replyed to my comment

26. Firesoft

Firesoft

27. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

People to be honest... I wont use any graphical assets form the assetstore. If you use, your game will automatic get the "Assetflip" stamp. Imagine any game with the simply3d Assets. They LOOK all the same. Same with Unitz... I would not recommend that. Use money and book a freelancer to make your graphics.

28. SocketByte

SocketByte

I see everyone are a proffesional who has thousands of money and own company with a lot of people working on a game. Good, but templates are for learning, not for making a game. You don't need to buy these templates if you're big ass game producer.

PS: My history of art creation:
    - I've watched tons of tutorials, and I was thinking that can't be too hard.
    - I've opened blender
    - I've closed blender

I really respect programmers who can create 3D models or textures. I really respect them.

Joeronimoe and siblingrivalry like this.
  29. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

Guys, lets not hijack the thread in to too much of a conceptual discussion about asset store purchased artwork.

This pack is subtitled (in the title of the thread) "The Complete Survival Template"

So looks like the creator is trying to put together a complete kit so that people can get started making their game, with code & starter assets.

The additional packs he mentioned sound great and look like they will provide additional code and artwork.

The pack his brother is selling on the store looks like it can be helpful for a lot of people wanting to work on their POC, hobby project or small indie game.

I can imagine that a few people will be purchasing this template and modifying a lot, others may go vanilla out of the box.
    Either way I can see how this will be used by different people. So good luck to everyone.

SocketByte likes this.
  30. ShatterGlassGames

ShatterGlassGames

@Winterbyte312

Do trees need to be added individually? Or can you use the tree terrain brush?

31. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

You can use the brush

32. ShatterGlassGames

ShatterGlassGames

That's good news. The old build system i was using had me creating each individual tree.

33. Dramamine0001

Dramamine0001

So far, the manual looks good and is easy to understand...and from what I can tell the asset too =)

Please be sure to add switching out hand models for melee, bow, and guns.

I noticed it said the time of day system is required....will we be able to simply disable/delete it and add in another? If there's anymore to it than that, a section in the manual would be ideal.

I noticed the bow is it's own type. Is this because it uses regular animation or something specific for bow? Please detail how to swap the model, hands and animations for it.

Details on the vitals, how to add/remove and customize the UI would be good as well as the main character/crafting/inventory UI...last thing we want is a bunch of games with the exact same vitals and UIs =)

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  34. Stinefelt

Stinefelt

From what I understand it uses unity's ui components, so you can modify them rather easy.

35. ShatterGlassGames

ShatterGlassGames

Any updates on the approval from Unity?

36. xamur

xamur

Is it possible to add more armor slots, like for gloves, hat, etc.? So, they even appear on the right position at the character body? I mean, is it easy to implement this? :)

37. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

it usually can take a couple of weeks i hear. longer for more complex assets.

Firesoft likes this.
  38. Firesoft

Firesoft

39. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

40. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

Adding a gun is already in the manual. All the first-person objects use "regular" animations for: Idle, Draw, Holster, Attack. The movement is implemented from code. So it's a combination of regular animations and procedural motions.

The bow is no different, it has animations for: Idle, Draw, Holster, Pull String Back, Release Arrow. The rest is procedural motion.

All the FPS kits have the same approach (except UFPS), because you can find a lot of weapons on the store with these animations, and then use procedural motion to make it more alive.

I didn't think it was necessary to document how to change the UI, as it's really simple. But, if people complain about it being difficult or that it needs a tutorial, I will do it.

You can add more elements yes, but they need to be "skinned" to the mesh (the character), so when the character moves, they move. This process is done in a 3D modelling program like Blender, Maya, 3DS Max, etc.
    I want to do a tutorial on how to do that in Blender, for your custom element (a pair of gloves, or new pants, etc). For things like hats (which they don't deform), you can add them in Unity, easily.

41. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

Have you tried using Morph3d or UMA models in your kit?

42. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

Nope I haven't. Great integration idea though, I'll take a look in 0.2.

43. Pronax

Pronax

Hey, first of all i have to thank you for making this kit because i think, even if its not release yet, it will be the best one around and i was looking for something like this for a long time

But i got a few questions before buying:

1. Multiplayer: Is there already sth. like this implemented or going to follow? I already read something here but can't find anymore.

2. License: In which way can i, after editing everything to my personal mind, publish this? Im quite skilled in animations and models and so on and was looking for a kickstart with scripts to save time. But is it allowed to publish a game done with ur kit e.g. on steam later?

3. Price: What will the price of the asset be?

4. Models: I heared some discussion about included Art & Models. So im completely fine when there are some "Expansion Packs" with more Mobs, Items etc. but am i right that there are no graphics included? So just code? No Mob, no char items, no houses & Maps??

Thank you very much and keep up the awesome work!

44. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

Thank you :)

1. Multiplayer will arrive in version 0.3. Take a look at the roadmap: https://trello.com/b/gmNow8UL/ultimate-survival

2.You can publish it everywhere you want. No restrictions. The only thing I ask a customer to do,
    is to change the art (no restriction here either, but it's the right thing to do).

3.Version 0.1 (which should arrive really soon) will be priced at 49.99$ (basically 50$)

4.The graphics are included, and will always be included. But we'll also make a few expansions which I'm sure will be useful for some people.

siblingrivalry likes this.
  45. Pronax

Pronax

Thanks for the quick response!
    Sound really great.
    Im just confused, your saying "COOP Multiplayer" what do u mean saying this?

Im thinking of server based (e.g. in Rust) or dedicated hosted servers by me (thats my plan so far) will this be possible?
    Becuase i want large servers (50+ players) and not only 2-4 player coops :)

46. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

Yes, it means 2-4 players. But, since most people think of Rust when they see this asset, it'd make sense to implement both modes (COOP + Rust-like), so expect both of them to arrive in 0.3.

47. Dramamine0001

Dramamine0001

Thanks for the response. All the gun and tool content instructions looked great, I just didn't see anything about swapping the hands so I don't have the same hand models as everyone else.

Good to know the bow works similarly.

Can we just delete/disable the time of day gameobject and add in another? It was listed as required, but you've also said it would be real easy to switch out, so just wanted to clarify.

Thanks again and looking forward to release!

48. AngryPixelUnity

AngryPixelUnity

It is required because a couple behaviours like sleeping, AI spawning, and so on, need to know what time is it in order to function properly. But, it's easy to swap it with your own/preferred day & night cycle system.

49. siblingrivalry

siblingrivalry

Just to add to that, it would be great to be able to integrate with UniStorm, which also has support for Temperature callbacks.

So that players can get caught out in the rain and freeze to death in the cold winterByte nights :)

thenamesace and AngryPixelUnity like this.
  50. thenamesace

thenamesace

body temperature, Poison (radiation etc) and even oxygen levels would be good for those space based games I am sure theses would be easy to add as its just a matter of expanding on the food/water scripts. also if you do decide to add unistorm integration there other asset emerald AI would be good to add as well :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.