Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Ultimate Survival - The Complete Survival Template

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AngryPixelUnity, Nov 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gegebel

gegebel

Well even the bugs are not being addressed, so much for that :D

@Will-D-Ramsey while we might not be owed anything, it tells us a lot about people when they do actually promote new versions in this very thread. And Actually they did promote 0.2 as following is part of the description of the asset (Please NOTE: The asset is at a low price of 34.99$ until we release version 0.2.)

So, yes promises were made and not delivered and anyway, who are you to tell people what they are allowed to think, say or write in here?
    Even @Winterbyte312 admitted to it, so stop trying to be a moralizer.
    All @Cyberschlumpf did say is that he learned his lesson, nothing more nothing less.

2. Freshmeat911

Freshmeat911

I'm stuck trying to make a new ai damage my player. the ai is a not a human and has its own animations etc. there is a collider on the "teeth" and I can get it to "hit the player" but I need to remove health from the player. This is where I'm stuck. any help would be much appreciated.

3. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

Yep, I kind of backed away from this forum thread a while back.
    Just waiting for the email notification for 0.2 and thats it.

4. Indie-developer

Indie-developer

I think there is a chance it will be released by mid to late January, fingers crossed!

Will-D-Ramsey likes this.
  5. jrackley

jrackley

If you are using the default AI from the asset then you will need to add an Animation event on the attack Animation called OnAnimationDamage at the point in the animation you wish to do the damage.
    Here is a screen shot for reference...

If you are using a different AI system I can help you as well but need to know

Attached Files:

Crede-Pendrel likes this.
  6. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

Looks lovely but I hope it's just for you guys to make a video and not to provide as a demo scene.

I think everyone can agree we don't want to see an asset flip of US again. Steam has more asset flips of the US demo scene than anything else I have witnessed.

Other kits provide demos explaining different functionality as separate scenes in simple box worlds so that users can understand logic and see how it works. That way you can see how the template works, learn how to use it. But you can't just click "build" and sell it as a game.

No one needs a full demo scene with all the bells and whistles. We don't. Honestly! And this is a guy who loves demo scenes talking now.

If anyone here needs that then they havnt spent the time to learn and explore the asset. And ultimately just want to click build and put it on Steam.

I honestly don't understand why so much artwork is being provided in the kit also. Instead of being sold as extra add-ons.

Weapons ok I can understand but a few only are needed for free. Look at UFPS as a good example.

I think version 0.1 had too much artwork included. Please scale back 0.2 free artwork.
    Also it would help earn you guys more money!

Ok those are my concerns and worries about US.
    0.2 will have a bigger impact than 0.1 and we don't to see this project being killed off.

Gnite all.

danreid70, wagnerlee, robymv and 14 others like this.
  7. johny256

johny256

Please integration LandscapeAutoMaterial

8. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

LAM shouldn't need any custom integration special for Ultimate Survival.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    danreid70 and VladimirGameStudio like this.
  9. SocketByte

SocketByte

Agreed. Demo scenes are fine, as long as they're not full games.

10. RobsonFMaciel

RobsonFMaciel

Always very wise!
    I agree 100% with you, and these are my concerns from the start

11. Black-Spirit

Black-Spirit

Indeed, it has been an extremely long wait for the 0.2 update. Nearly a year for 0.2.

I just don't get the dedication to the artwork. While I have not lost hope for this asset, I feel the asset will be nowhere ready in January, and that some sort of readme will be included stating "The included artwork are strictly placeholders, if you wish to publish and or monetize from this asset, you must remove and utilize your own assets."

Everything is there, for 0.2. Imagine 0.3

Best of luck for the asset, though keep it simple.

RobsonFMaciel and Brandon_Powell like this.
  12. SocketByte

SocketByte

If it goes like that, the 1.0 will look like a full AAA game for at least 100h playtime.

13. wagnerlee

wagnerlee

Thank you for saying this, as i agree 1000% with you it is sad but true and the worst part is that person probably does make money flipping it, not from grown ups but children that dont know better, I see it as stealing money to be honest.

anyway thanx for this it made my day

14. xercool

xercool

Hi guys and happy NY

Is there some integration with UFPS (ultimate first person shooter) by Opsive?

Can someone share it? Or maybe tutorial videos.

Thank you all!

15. zenGarden

zenGarden

It's not surprising it took so much time, it's like you made a feature complete and polished game lol

You'll never find a 35$ plugin with :
    - complete fps gameplay
    - weapons system
    - crafting
    - menus
    - inventory
    - Ai system

It's hard to have some users still complaining about delay considering it's a full game and features complete.

Are they angry waiting because they want to create asset flip games ? who knows ?

Anyway , great job about V0.2 , your plugin should certainly be priced 70$-100$ :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    Will-D-Ramsey, danreid70 and _Bucket_ like this.
  16. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

My thought process is that the additional assets should have been made totally separate, and the time spent on showing videos of how to take that separate asset and integrate it into the base framework that comes with example scenes that use 'trees' made from cylinders, 'chests' made from boxes, etc.

As much value as those assets directly add to the system, it really would have been better to have a slew of videos showing how to add new assets to the system. With a project like we had in mind, we would be throwing all the built-in assets away anyhow. In fact, it becomes harder as then we have to remove those assets and any possible dependencies that might have been made because of their tighter integration.

I also want to echo @TheMessyCoder's statement that we will see a TON of flips with the asset coming 'complete'. My lord, it is going to be a sea of survival 'games' on Steam when it actually releases. Sooooo many crappy clones that will never actually change the base code....

Just my thoughts.

17. A2GStudios

A2GStudios

This is really what I expected. Like I said before and I will say it again, I am not using anything that comes with US except the game mechanics since I really don't know a lot about programming and I am just learning. I have all of my own models and artwork that I made using ProBuilder ( which I highly recommend ) Substance Live, Realdraw pro 5 and Blender. Our character was made using I Clone 7 ( another program I highly recommend ) and we used Gaia to make the map.

18. zenGarden

zenGarden

About mobile, there is already thousand of such games, i don"t think you'll get a big success without new world background, new textures and characters, and some new gameplay.
    You need to bring something different from existing asset flip games to get players interested.

19. Will-D-Ramsey

Will-D-Ramsey

I agree this could've been a better solution as I too will not be using any of the models from U.S just the code. But I also think that those integration tutorials should wait for the asset to be done.

A2GStudios likes this.
  20. ronaldomoon

ronaldomoon

Oh, if only that were true. Asset flippers are raking it in on Steam and destroying Unity's reputation in the process. Apparently all you have to do is add 100 achievements and tons of people will buy it.

CaptainMurphy likes this.
  21. ronaldomoon

ronaldomoon

First you accuse those upset about delays of being asset flippers even though we're here complaining that a lot of the stuff being worked on makes it easier for people to flip and it's slowing progress. We just want the code.

Then in your next post you claim that asset flips are not lucrative, which based on watching many YouTube creators who cover/expose asset flips is far from the truth.

I agree that the asset, as-is, is a great deal but if upcoming changes are going to break what we've already done or cause us to have to do things differently we'd like to know that sooner rather than later. Asset flippers wouldn't care about this as they aren't going to/ haven't been creating their own items, buildables, extra systems, integrations, etc. in the first place.

RobsonFMaciel and A2GStudios like this.
  22. zenGarden

zenGarden

This is what some users want, but why should you feel concerned about them ?

I didn' t said they can't be lucrative, but asset flipper games will never be a big success as popular games with lot of work behind.
    Anyway i don't know and i don't mind about asset flip games or millions of mobile crap games whatever is the reason why they are published ( for fun, to make some money, or whatever ).

Yes it will be changes as he said long time ago this is a full refactor.
    Anyway the new version will be available when it's ready.

23. ronaldomoon

ronaldomoon

Because it's bad for the indie market on Steam. More games released on steam in 2017 than any year before that and something like 1/4 of their total library is just from last year. A lot of that content is crappy games that barely work or asset flips. All of them start with the "Made with Unity" logo. It's tarnishing the engine's reputation which hurts all of us.

It's not only bad for devs using Unity it makes "indies" look bad in general to a lot of consumers. Plus it's getting harder and harder to find the diamond in the rough when the rough has grown to monstrous proportions.

All that being said, part of the blame lies with Steam on this issue. There's obviously little to no curation happening.

RobsonFMaciel likes this.
  24. LucianBlack

LucianBlack

Apologies for deviating from the conversation but I have two quick questions....

1. I brought my custom AI in. It is mostly working but when does not hurt my character when he attacks. This is likely (~100%) caused by something I am missing but does anyone have any information to assist with this?

2. Has anyone successfully implemented Inventory Pro with this? If so, could you point me in the right direction?

25. gegebel

gegebel

1.There is an implementation of EmeraldAI in the wiki (link in my signature) where the player can be damaged.
    Look starting Step 9, maybe you can understand how you can use this with your system.

2.Since this system has an inventory, I guess not many people want to integrate a new one, especially since many systems depend on it.

LucianBlack likes this.
  26. johny256

johny256

LAM not compatibile Ultimate Survivor

27. zenGarden

zenGarden

Making games has been made very easy with templates and easy to use 3D or 3D engines, kids or anyone for fun can publish crappy games. it's Steam issue not a Unity issue.
    Steam should create categrories fro indie games , like a "quality" category for games with real work behind and an "amateur" category for crappy or games without consistency.
    Anyway this is another debate that has nothing to do with ultimate survival plugin.

Why should you care about crappy games ?
    When you put lot of work and good ideas on your game you'll get a good success, whatever other people do :rolleyes:

robymv likes this.
  28. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

It is mostly about market dilution. If you have, say 10 features for the game, all custom art, etc and it costs $10k to build total and someone is offering a game with 9 of the same features, lesser art, and they only spent $35 + $100 steam submission yet they are siphoning 20% of your possible sales, it hurts.

29. LucianBlack

LucianBlack

I think I may be overlooking something. I am using US's AI system. I essentially copied the cannibal animator, changed the animations to my custom animations and everything is working as needed, except for dealing damage on hit. So I added an event, in my custom animation, and named it "onAnimationDamage" (without the quotes). My AI will begin the animation but when the even is triggered, I receive the following message:

AnimationEvent 'onAnimationDamage' has no receiver! Are you missing a component?

I am new to this realm so I may be moving a bit slow with understanding this. I am thinking that I may need to add the animation somewhere in code, maybe? I could be way off base but I am trying to figure this out the best I can. My thought process is the animation is calling on something in script, the function or method is checking for that particular animation name but not finding it. Or it could be something completely different.

30. gegebel

gegebel

make sure you Wrote OnAnimationDamage with a capital O.
    it's a public method in AISettings, should actually work

LucianBlack likes this.
  31. Black-Spirit

Black-Spirit

Yes somewhat off topic, though it seems so many do not fully understand the whole "asset flip" of Unity based kits. It's here to stay unfortunately.

They generate 1000's of free game keys, send some out, while the others are used for bots to collect and exchange trading cards. That's where the money is for them. Not only do they get free games in the process, they sell the cards over 1000's of accounts. They don't need anyone to purchase, they create the customers.

While it's good to see asset developers make fantastic kits, the harder they go, the more fuel they provide.

//end rant about asset flippers.

ronaldomoon likes this.
  32. LucianBlack

LucianBlack

I should have known it was something dumb. Thank you! That was exactly it. Really appreciate your help!

33. gegebel

gegebel

You're welcome :)

34. zenGarden

zenGarden

With 10K your 3D art , characters animations and effects should really make big difference than what the template alone and it's 3D art provides.
    But if you don't make any changes to the gameplay, indeed you'll be another thousand game or template modder guy :rolleyes:

You'll never feel concerned about asset flip if you put some real work to make your game different from some template modding.
    But some users just want to mod a templateand are happy with that.
    So whatever you do, some success only depends on you only and how cleverly you use a game template.

And what should it matters ?

There is ton of 2D mobile platformers using the same 2D art and gameplay. There is tons of copy and paste Fps games. Does it matters or prevent skilled indies or companies to make better 2D or 3D games ? No.

I think most users complaining about asset flip is the ones that will use the template as it is.
    Instead of complaining put more work on your game.

Here is some features i added:
    - new Fps features : climb specific surfaces and ladders, double jump features unlock
    - special gameplay and combat skills you find when unlocking new regions ( i won' t spoil my ideas lol)
    - traps you can deploy damaging or blocking enemies movement
    - new AI for enemies
    - flying and ranged enemies
    - plant and harvest
    - personal animal you can breed and ride
    - hire a guy as your companion helping you in combat
    - custom rules to spawn enemies near the base , every three days you have to defend your base
    - custom spawn manager managers per region
    - friendly and hostile clans definition

And some i want to add, but i don't know :
    - trading with other clans
    - different mining tools with upgrade parts for faster mining and better gather
    - weapons as multi parts (upgrade and can be swapped)
    - unique powerfull creatures per region as boss fights with rare loot
    - base items to defend it, you can upgrade
    - teleporters for fast travel
    - hire and affect guys you found or rescued , each with different abilities, to upgrade your base or defend it
    - Rpg skill points
    - skill tree

I am also removed ultimate survival building system with a 3D Tile based one for practical reasons.
    You have pre made rooms you can connect ,each has different pruposes (reasearch, harvest, weapons workbench ....)And you have several locations per region to build you base.

Anyway good luck to all users using ultimate survival template as it is,
    and that feels very concerned about asset flippers :D:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    VladimirGameStudio likes this.
  35. gegebel

gegebel

I'd love to see your implementation of plant and harvest.
    I have my own system but it's buggy, I have a problem controlling single instances. When I plant stuff, it does so in every crop plot lol. Now I modified the furnace from US to make a system like they have in ARK. it works but I'd love to see how other ppl did it. In Theory of course, don't need a full script :D

zenGarden and VladimirGameStudio like this.
  36. Gewald

Gewald

Does anybody on this forum talk about anything relevant to the actual template? Like maybe helping each other fix the bugs it has. Or implementing new ideas, just my 2 cents.

37. gegebel

gegebel

You could check the wiki (in my signature) :D

danreid70 likes this.
  38. Gewald

Gewald

@gegebel I think you are one of the very few on here that I have seen that does help. I am just tired of seeing everyone on here talk about nothing other than asset flip this and asset flip that, who cares just make a game and make it good ya know, don't worry about what other people are doing.

jesseganey likes this.
  39. _Bucket_

_Bucket_

Hey, is there any news on 0.2? I thought it was going to be right after Christmas.

Kind regards, Bucket

40. zenGarden

zenGarden

The system is similar to many harvesting games while specific in some areas.

You have a harvest zone near the base , this is a grid slot system with one plant per slot.
    Each plant has three states and models : planted, grown, ready to harvest.

There is only one script controlling plants, the "harvest manager" ( plants have only script data and no logic script )
    It becomes active only when the player comes near the harvest zone.
    - it has an array of slots (script array ) , each array slot can have one plant object data or none if nothing planted.
    - it allows and check player harvest actions (plant, give water, gather)
    - it checks the plants state when player enter harvest zone and display the right plants models
    - it checks one plant slot every 5 seconds, if some plant grown it will validate the new state and display the new model

I plan to make it dynamic perhaps for performance :
    Have plants "spwan" as one per frame when the player is coming near the harvest zone; and unspawn them when player leaves the zone.

Do you need some explanation on something specific ?

What is it ? Any behaviour can be coded i think.

I am still figuring what and how to bring some Zelda BOT like dynamic gameplay features, where the player can use multiple solutions to do something.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  41. gegebel

gegebel

Well asset flips are a reality. They won't go away. There's always someone who will try to make a quick buck.
    People are concerned their effort might be for nothing as others, do absolutely nothing and still make some money. Which is the whole problem here. Too many people are in it to make money.
    Where is the passion?
    I program stuff to learn and because I love to solve problems. If I can make some money, good, if not, well that's life.
    Some people can live from streaming, others make games, and some do asset flips.

RobsonFMaciel and wagnerlee like this.
  42. gegebel

gegebel

No, it explains your system well enough, thanks.
    I created a modified "furnace" meaning you put some fertilizer in the "pot", after some "crafting" time, the plant is ready :) I have an animation depending on how far the crafting is for the growing plant.
    I try to use the systems already existing in US and adapt them to what I need.
    I even made a water well with the same system, just had to modify the script here and there :D

zenGarden likes this.
  43. zenGarden

zenGarden

Anyone copy others (2D or 3D games) or other non video games domains.
    - Ads in mobile games is easy money, the majority have ads whatever it's indie or company games.
    - Companies like EA proposed loot boxes , many online games have shops you buy with real money
    - DLC and season pass lot of times are not great and price is too high, it's easy money.
    - PUBG game made good , some others are copying the concept, coppying a winning concept for easy money

Asset flip is just "another" way of people copying people games, or "another" way for easy money.
    Why complaining ?
    (good if someone can make some money selling some template and buy a better computer or use money for whatever they need)

Why too many ? There is no survival indie game made with Ultimate Survival on the top Steam games.
    Or none with enough popularity to get noticed.

44. gegebel

gegebel

just look at all flappy games out there or frog clones or bad tycoon games. Too many on the market if you ask me. not that I care people make asset flips, I don't care, but people are still concerned it might have an effect on their game sales (again, back to the money talk).

45. Gewald

Gewald

Very well put! I am the same, I have a full time job programming eCommerce websites for a fortune 50 company, making our games is done in spare time. Our team as far as making a game consists of just the 3 of us who none of us had any previous experience. Our other game we are working on has been being made for the last 2yrs and many hrs of learning. I am the only programmer of the 3, one of us designs the levels and the other is voicing, it is very similar in style to Legacy of Kain and or Dark souls 3. I just hate to see when everyone gets worked up over asset flips, cause just as you stated they will always be there, especially the way steam made it now, just give them a $100 and submit your game If you do not know how to code or have someone that does then the Flip 9 out of 10 times will be just more trash in the sea of Steam.
    I love the "where is the passion" part, I wish more people would think that way. If you want to do something and make it good, then you need to love what it is that you are doing.

jesseganey likes this.
  46. Gewald

Gewald

- Ads in mobile games is easy money, the majority have ads whatever it's indie or company games.
    - Companies like EA proposed loot boxes , many online games have shops you buy with real money
    - DLC and season pass lot of times are not great and price is too high, it's easy money.
    - PUBG game made good , some others are copying the concept, coppying a winning concept for easy money

Asset flip is just "another" way of people copying people games, or "another" way for easy money.
    Why complaining ?
    (good if someone can make some money selling some template and buy a better computer or use money for whatever they need)

There are actually some valid points in this as well. Take a look at the game Bold New World, it is absolute garbage with only 10 minutes of gameplay made with Game Guru or whatever it is called, but the author was smart and sold it for $0.99 and went on to sell roughly 562,530 copies take Steams %30 from that and that leaves them with roughly $390,000. Now take into account that the "developer" is from the Ukraine, and that sets him up very well for his life, and how can people hate on that?

47. gegebel

gegebel

I've been prototyping and planning this game since 2005. We tested several engines, we even made our own at some point and we learned, a lot, and we are still learning. We had a few versions which went even into Beta and we always pushed it back to alpha, sometimes even threw everything away to start from 0.
    I can't say if my game will be good or not. All I will be able to say though, is that I tried very hard. Even if it doesn't sell, I know I gave it all I could. And no I won't be upset because some other guy did nothing but an asset flip. Because deep inside I know I worked for it.
    Asset flipping is just like new rich kids, they got money for doing nothing, and that's ok, because in the end, it's only you and your own conscience. I can show my work and be proud of it, even if it flops.
    While many people always consider making lots of money as a success, what do they have from the money in the end?
    more stuff they don't need? a bigger car? a bigger house?
    In the end, they will just die like all others, being eaten by the worms. :p

48. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

Hi

I made a tutorial on how to make a skill system. It should be easy for anyone to get it working with your projects.
    Have fun

Part 1

Part 2

49. sebasfreelance

sebasfreelance

@Winterbyte312

You commented that mobile support will not come in the beta of the 0.2.

Does that mean that you have not done anything yet to be able to use US in the mobiles?

Would the inventory work in the beta for example?

I'm curious.

for me it is easy to add the control of the character to work in the mobile, but for example to be able to select an item in the inventory, drag it, and others I find it complicated.

a greeting.
    thx

AlexLTS likes this.
  50. Candac59

Candac59

Hi TheMessyCoder :)

I am pleasantly surprised that you made a new cool tutorial for US: D And this one as often comes to me particularly so thank you very much!

I allow myself to make a suggestion for a new tutorial (that is for the current version or the famous version 0.2) this one would be on the integration of VegetationStudio which I think will be useful for a good part of us . What do you think ?

Candac

Vegetation Studio: https://forum.unity.com/threads/released-vegetation-studio.479244/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.