Search Unity

[RELEASED] Ultimate Inventory System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by opsive, May 19, 2020.

1. Sangemdoko

Sangemdoko

Version 1.0.7 of the Ultimate Inventory System has been released. You can see what has changed on this page.

2. liquidsht

liquidsht

Any chance Rewired will be added to integration? Thanks.

3. Sangemdoko

Sangemdoko

Except for the demo character everything should work out of the gate using Rewired. All that's needed to use the UI is to replace the StandaloneInputSystem by the RewiredStandaloneInputSystem: https://guavaman.com/projects/rewired/docs/RewiredStandaloneInputModule.html

If you believe there is more to it than just replacing this component please let us know and we'll see what can be done.

4. p87

p87

Just to be clear I'm not asking for support, I just want to share my experience after trying these two assets out.

I use UCC to rapid prototype / game jam / etc. Just need to import UCC, open a demo scene which has a character, lots of demo weapons, showcases all of the mechanics included with UCC. The demo scene for UCC and the Pun add-on etc were both EXCELLENT and had tons of different stuff you could play around with. A lot of the time I would just delete the geometry and whatever I didn't need from that demo scene and save it out as the starting point of my own scene, it allowed me to get all that stuff up and running quickly. I usually use the demo weapons from the UCC demo like the guns etc as a starting point for my own stuff. So when I open the demo scene , I don't have to spend a bunch of time configuring each and every weapon etc, all of that was set up ahead of time as part of the asset. and its a big value add to have something you can import into your project and get up and running so quickly with.

The UCC/UIS integration demo scene isn't as complete as the other UCC demo scenes, which showcase all of the features and demo items of UCC in that sci fi level with the elevators and so on. It would be nice if the weapons and items etc were all implemented in the UCC/UIS integration demo scene.

Having all kinds of problems with getting the UCC demo content converted over to an Inventory Database of my own.... When I duplicate the Empty Inventory Database as Justin suggests in the UCC/UIS integration video, it is missing everything and I have to go back and reconfigure all of the categories, attributes, go through each and every item prefab from the demo and try to convert it over to my new database and my own prefabs. The IntegrationDemoDatabase is closer to what I need, it has some of the UCC weapons already implemented.

So then I try duplicating the IntegrationDemoDatabase, but I still run into problems with things all over the place referencing the wrong database.

I have tried to use the 'Replace database objects' context menu thing after duplicating the database to my own, but I have no idea what exactly it's doing, there is no feedback to the user. If there was some kind of verbose logging option for this I would really love to see what this is doing.

If duplicating the inventory database and replacing database objects is the best practice for starting with UIS, maybe the Inventory Manager should guide you through that process when you are first setting up UIS in your project. It would be great if it could duplicate the database, get everything set up, potentially even copy the demo scene or replace the objects in that as well. I just want to open the integration demo scene, duplicate the database, and hit play and have a solid starting point to work with.

The RPG style demo that ships with UIS is impressive and closer to what I would expect from a demo scene for an $80 asset, but It would be nice if there was a demo scene like the previous ones from UCC , where all of the demo weapons that we're all familiar with are configured in the scene ahead of time, with everything implemented in UIS. The old UCC demos were awesome, some of the best I've seen in any asset.

Another issue is that the PUN multiplayer is not integrated with UIS in any way, which throws a big wrench into using it in my project. PUN multiplayer throws errors when its in the scene with UIS because its looking for the old inventory components. When I've already set up a bunch of stuff and structured my scenes prefabs etc to work with the PUN add-on, this makes things difficult as UCC & UIS can't even coexist in the scene together without causing errors. I have to go work with UCC in completely separate offline scenes with different characters and assets if I want to try UIS in any capacity.

Also the user interfaces from UIS are not scaling well on my monitor at all, I'm not sure if they only support a certain screen resolution / aspect ratio, or what. But the text is huge and lots of UI elements are overlapping on a 1440p monitor , Mac OS X so it may be a DPI issue as well, not sure...

Another big problem for me is that the UIS "Inventory" component does not work in Ludiq Peek inspector. It renders out the dictionary raw, instead of rendering the dictionary with a custom inspector interface. It is the only asset so far that I've had this problem with in Peek. I've reached out to the developer of peek, but they claim they can't do anything about it and its apparently something on the UIS end.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  5. opsive

opsive

Hi @philwinkel -

Thanks for the feedback.

Which particular feature are you looking for? We have a new integration ready to go that adds spells that you can cast at any time, but beyond that the entire feature set should be covered in that demo scene. This new integration requires a minor update to the character controller and inventory system so that's why we haven't released it yet. We will take a look at the dual pistols issue. Are you using a first or third person perspective?

We do recommend that you start with an empty database as that will allow you to configure the inventory exact to your game's specifications. This is similar to how we recommend that you create a new animator controller when creating your new character for UCC rather than using the demo scene animator.

@Sangemdoko should be able to help with that aspect.

In version 1.1 we have created a UI Designer menu which will allow you to hit the ground running for your UI visuals. In that designer we plan on having different schemes that allow you to select your base and then allow you to easily add/remove your UI from there. There is a lot of overlap between our character controller and inventory system though so what feature are you missing from the integration scene?

The inventory system uses Unity's new VisualElements UI and we have noticed small issues like this. If you can send us a screenshot we can see if we can reproduce it and submit a bug report to Unity.

The inventory isn't doing anything special - it uses the Visual Elements system which I do not think Peek supports.

6. p87

p87

It would be great if the UCC/UIS integration scene used the same demo scene that UCC historically uses, the one where you start in the elevator, it has all the moving platforms, it has all of the demo weapons that ship with UCC implemented, etc.

In the UCC/UIS integration scene currently, it only has a few of the demo items from UCC implemented with UIS. I don't see the shotgun, rocket launcher, etc.

My big problem so far is just getting my own inventory database started with the demo content from UCC implemented. I'm just prototyping with the demo content from UCC and it would be super helpful if all of that was integrated and working with UIS in a demo scene. With some easy way to duplicate the inventory database AND all of the prefabs and other stuff that references the database. Even if I duplicate the IntegrationDemoDatabase, it's an ordeal to fix references and a bunch of prefabs and all this stuff just to get my own scene with UCC and UIS integrated.

I'm using UCC with both perspectives , but when I noticed the dual pistol issue it was in first person. You can reproduce it by picking up the dual pistols in the integration demo scene and shoot them both. When I was right clicking to shoot the pistol in the right hand, it was both shooting and aiming at the same time. It was weird and I feel like when you're dual wielding you shouldn't be able to aim, I'm sure its just a checkbox somewhere but it was something I noticed.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  7. opsive

opsive

For the integration demo scene we decided to focus on the unique aspects so that's why there is no shotgun or rocket launcher. As we update the assets it becomes harder to maintain as the number of demo scenes grow. For the shotgun and rocket launcher you should be able to make an Item Definition similar to the assault rifle and use that for your weapon. If you have any problems with this let us know and we'll be able to help you get up and running.

@Sangemdoko may be able to offer some more suggestions, but for prototyping I would take the integration demo database and duplicate it. From there you should just need to run the scene setup from the inventory menu and assign your Item Definitions to the items within your own scene. In the cases where the definitions don't exist, such as the shotgun, you can duplicate the definition that is most similar to it such as the assault rifle. Note that this is only for prototyping, for your 'real' game I would start with the empty database and build up from there so you get exactly what your game calls for.

This is actually a great example of demo scene maintenance. Thank you for the steps to repro it. You're right in that it is a simple setting that needs to be updated. On the RightPistol under the FirstPersonPerspectiveItem the Aim and Use states should be blocked by the DualPistols state. I'll include this in the next integration update.

upload_2020-10-6_17-22-17.png

p87 likes this.
  8. Sangemdoko

Sangemdoko

@philwinkel
    To give you a bit more context with the 'Replace Database Object' functionality, it will scan your assets to find any script with has an Interface called 'IDatabaseSwitcher'. That interface has two functions, one to check if the objects are referencing the database in the editor window (or the scene) and the other to replace these object by equivalents objects (by name) in the correct database.

You can run the replace object script only on the scene (which will not affect prefabs and scriptable objects) or you can run it on any asset folder by right clicking a folder in the project view and pressing the replace database objects button.

In version 1.1 we are looking into ways where we could prevent needing the use of that script. Instead, in some cases, not all, we could have a struct that first checks if the database object is valid before it is ever used, and if it is not it could find an equivalent one in the current database at runtime. This should really help with the kinds of problems you are experiencing

p87 likes this.
  9. p87

p87

If I run it on a folder, is that recursive? Does it search down into all sub folders?

10. Sangemdoko

Sangemdoko

p87 likes this.
  11. Shadowing

Shadowing

Its getting to the point now where no controller on the asset store is ever going to be able compete with Opsive lol. Probably only have one close rival atm at best. Now with inventory system it pretty much smokes them.
    Well Done Justin.

12. opsive

opsive

Cheers! I'm really proud of our asset lineup.

All credit goes to @Sangemdoko for this one - he designed a much better inventory system than I ever could have :)

13. wood333

wood333

Do your inventory windows have something like On Hide Actions () and On Show Actions () Unity Events, because if they do I could probably adapt Ultimate Inventory System to my project's needs?

14. Sangemdoko

Sangemdoko

@wood333 We are completely re-working the UI with V1.1 which is coming out soon.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "Actions", if you refer to the panel of item actions which allows you to Consume, Equip etc... then not exactly. But we have something better. You can easily customize what happens when an Item is clicked, you will be able to either trigger an Item Action directly, open the panel of item actions, or even do something else entirely with a bit of custom code.

In addition we have an event whenever a panel is opened or closed in our UI system so you could use that if it suits your needs better. We use our own event system most of the time compared to Unity Events, it allows you to execute or listen to events from anywhere in the code.

I hope that helps :)

15. Sangemdoko

Sangemdoko

V1.1 is now on the Asset Store!
    You can read the release notes here:
    https://opsive.com/news/ultimate-inventory-system-1-1-released/

UIS V1.1 is on sale at 50% off
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packag.../ultimate-inventory-system-166053#description

Check out the Getting Started Documentation
    https://opsive.com/support/documentation/ultimate-inventory-system/getting-started/
    and Video:

If you were using V1.0.X previously check the Upgrade Guide:
    https://opsive.com/support/document...tem/getting-started/version-1-1-update-guide/

We have plenty more updates planned for the future, and we are always listening to your feedback and feature requests. So make sure to send those on the Forum: https://opsive.com/forum/index.php

JRRReynolds likes this.
  16. digiross

digiross

Did I read the patch notes right that cell shapes are now supported (aka diablo style)? :D

17. Sangemdoko

Sangemdoko

@digiross Yes! It was requested by a few people so we made sure it made V1.1.
    It has some quirks which we will iron out in the V1.1.X release cycle as we get more feedback from the community.

18. dmenefee

dmenefee

It appears that the Dialogue System integration for UIS doesn't work; I see this compile error:

Assets/Pixel Crushers/Dialogue System/Third Party Support/Opsive UIS Support/Scripts/Sequencer Commands/SequencerCommandOpenShop.cs(2,52): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Shop' does not exist in the namespace 'Opsive.UltimateInventorySystem.Demo.UI.Menus' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Looks like it needs to be updated to use the non-demo UI now.

When I try to import the UIS support for Behavior Designer, I get this:

Assets/Behavior Designer/Integrations/UltimateInventorySystem/Tasks/UseItemObject.cs(33,17): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'ItemObjectHandler' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

19. Sangemdoko

Sangemdoko

Thank you for pointing those out I'll contact Tony Li to fix the issue with the Dialogue system.
    try this namespace instead "Opsive.UltimateInventorySystem.UI.Menus.Shop"

And I apologize for the Behavior Designer Integration I will fix that asap
    ItemObjectHandler is now ItemUser.

If there are other errors with those integrations we will fix them

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    dmenefee likes this.
  20. Sangemdoko

Sangemdoko

@dmenefee The Behavior Designer integration is now fixed and uploaded.

I am still waiting for Tony Li to get back to me on the issue with the Dialogue System integration.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

dmenefee likes this.
  21. digiross

digiross

Thank you! Instabuy tonight when I get home. :)

22. JRRReynolds

JRRReynolds

Happy to see 1.1 dropped, was waiting for drag & drop and thought I wouldn't be able to test it till December! Thanks @Sangemdoko and @opsive!

Edit: Functionality look great! Getting some overlapping UI text on some menus and some UI scaling issues in the demo, anyone else experiencing this?
    Overlapping - on welcome canvas and crafting menu description
    Scaling - On Pickup Item canvas panels & text

Easy to fix, just reporting it in case others are having same issue in the demo scene.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  23. dmenefee

dmenefee

No apology needed! These things happen (there is no such thing as bug-free code), and overall I love this product. Keep up the good work and I hope sales do very well!

24. Sangemdoko

Sangemdoko

Thank you :)

@dmenefee Tony Li fixed the integration with the Dialogue System, the new version can now be downloaded on our website.

@JRRReynolds The Demo UI is set to show well on a 1920x1080p resolution (you can change the game view resolution from free view to any resolution). When I have more time, I'll try editing it a bit such that it shows better on other resolutions too

TonyLi and dmenefee like this.
  25. JRRReynolds

JRRReynolds

I'm getting it at all resolutions actually, that's why I was wondering if it had something to do with the new UI updates. Anyway it's an easy fix regardless, and not connected to the functionality of the system. Just reporting it in case something changed with the new update's UI system.

26. dmenefee

dmenefee

That was fast! Thanks!

TonyLi likes this.
  27. dmenefee

dmenefee

Hi again. I'm sure you're aware of this, but the demo doesn't provide a copied version of the schema (or at least I can't figure out how to hook that up to the UIS manager). In one of the next updates, could you rework the demo so it can show us how to use the UI designer? The designer is disabled because it's complaining that the existing classic schema must be copied. I've figured out what's what for the most part, but I can always use help :)

JRRReynolds likes this.
  28. Sangemdoko

Sangemdoko

@dmenefee
    The schema is meant to be duplicated by the user so they can have it be part of their own folders. This way they can safely edit the prefabs, scriptable objects and more without worrying of their changes being overwritten by updates on the demo folder.

Here is the getting started video tutorial if you missed it:

As for the demo, we used the Classic schema for build the UI foundation. And then we manually edited things to make it look the way it is.

So to avoid potential headaches for our users we decided to prevent them from using the default classic schema directly. It takes a minute to duplicate it, and it only needs to be done once, so the benefits out ways the cons.

If we make any changes to the schema in an update the details of the change will be documented in the release notes, such that you may make any required fixes to your own schema (or you could simply duplicate it again if you didn't change anything from the default)

I hope that helps

dmenefee likes this.
  29. Sangemdoko

Sangemdoko

Version 1.1.1 of the Ultimate Inventory System has been released. You can see what has changed on this page.

digiross likes this.
  30. claudius_I

claudius_I

hello

the asset include a localization system?

thanks

31. Sangemdoko

Sangemdoko

32. dmenefee

dmenefee

Hello. Do you have a recommendation for how to manage character inventory across scene changes? I want to make sure I don't trip over any known issues. Right now, I am using the Pixelcrusher scene loader functionality, but it does not copy the player's game object to the new scene. I'm going to try to make that happen if I can't find another way to persist/reload the inventory in the new scene...

NM. I'm just going to go with saver/loader action at scene transitions, and ensure that I have a duplicate of the g.o. in the destination scene. Pixelcrusher's scene loader allows me to designate a target position, so once the character is loaded it's placed where I need it to go, and the inventory should be intact.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    TonyLi likes this.
  33. TonyLi

TonyLi

@dmenefee - That's the right way to do it. To recap for other readers who might have the same question: There's no need to copy over the player's GameObject to the new scene. Put a separate player GameObject in each scene. Add a UCC Saver component to each player GameObject. Set the Key value to the same value.

When changing scenes, the UCC Saver in the original scene will save the player's info to the save system's memory.

After loading the new scene, the UCC Saver will retrieve that info and apply it to the player GameObject in the new scene. (And, if you've specified a spawnpoint, it will move the player GameObject to that spawnpoint as you mentioned.)

dmenefee, Sangemdoko and opsive like this.
  34. Sangemdoko

Sangemdoko

Version 1.1.2 of the Ultimate Inventory System has been released. You can see what has changed on this page.

opsive likes this.
  35. Sangemdoko

Sangemdoko

Version 1.1.3 of the Ultimate Inventory System has been released. You can see what has changed on this page.

dmenefee likes this.
  36. Sangemdoko

Sangemdoko

Version 1.1.4 of the Ultimate Inventory System has been released. You can see what has changed on this page.

dmenefee likes this.
  37. Cartoon-Mania

Cartoon-Mania

Do you have any plans to support stats? Stats and inventory are indispensable. Equipping an item changes the character's stats. It is inventory that manages those items.

38. Sangemdoko

Sangemdoko

@Cartoon-Mania We focus on inventory and Item management. The items can have the "stats" defined on them using the attribute system. The way those stats affects the player is up to developer.
    For example is character strength added or multiplied to weapon attack? How do elements work? What about piercing damage, luck stat, critical strikes ? etc...

We already have an ItemBinding component that can bind Item attributes to any property on neighboring components, which can be very useful for equipped item object like weapons.

The rest is up to the developer to choose how the item "stat" attributes affect the player, his skills, etc... This can be done by listening to equipping events or by creating a custom equipment script.

In the future we may consider adding a stat system if many people request it. But for now we believe that our current system fits the scope of an inventory system.

39. claudius_I

claudius_I

Hi

where i can define the size of the inventory? and there is a method to know if the inventory (collections) is full?

Thanks

40. Sangemdoko

Sangemdoko

claudius_I likes this.
  41. claudius_I

claudius_I

Hi
    Maybe this is a programing question, but i really don't know what to do.
    i want to add code to class Equipper (namespace Opsive.UltimateInventorySystem.Equipping), but i can't import other class (using) or call a method from other class (that not contain a namespace).

why happening this?

Thanks

42. Sangemdoko

Sangemdoko

43. Sangemdoko

Sangemdoko

Version 1.1.5 of the Ultimate Inventory System has been released. You can see what has changed on this page.

44. dmenefee

dmenefee

Hello. I've just imported the new UIS and am seeing this compilation error in the Behavior Designer integration:
    `Assets/Behavior Designer/Integrations/UltimateInventorySystem/Tasks/UseItemObject.cs(57,28): error CS0117: 'EventNames' does not contain a definition for 'c_GameObject_OnInput_UseItemObject_Int_Int'`

45. opsive

opsive

Thanks - this integration has been updated.

dmenefee likes this.
  46. alexjet1000

alexjet1000

Hey!
    I have UCC and recently got UIS but i have a problem.

First of all great assets. This is just asking for help.

I´ve repeated the steps of the integration video a million times and there's no way i get an item (not demo ones) made by me to even equip.
    i dont get the steps right making it from scratch and use it with UIS then.
    Also is there somewhere in documentation where i can check how to make custom Item Actions (UCC)? I just cannot find that and i feel like im missing it.

i only need the character to have a phone in the inventory and equip it with a custom ucc item action. im even using 'Nothing' in the item action now and same result. No equip.
    i never get it to work and its not that deep (??
    it just feels like it would be easier to achieve if i just did not use the integration you know?

What would be the actual steps to make an item with custom functionality, and then use it along with UIS? Like whats each asset´s work in here.

Reading the actual generic steps might get easier than watching a very specific example. Or maybe a reproduction of something very simple (like flashlight) from scratch might help to understand how to set up a custom one and integrate them.

for me everything gets mixed in the end so maybe its my fault.

I hope i can get it to work, i like the asset!!
    Very useful system overall
    Really want to integrate them both because i see the potential.
    Thank you :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  47. Sangemdoko

Sangemdoko

48. alexjet1000

alexjet1000

My apologies.
    I did not want to saturate with all my questions in different posts, and i ended up saturating with a big post.
    I got kinda overwhelmed!
    Will check the posts there and post in that forum from now.

Thanks for your time.

Sangemdoko likes this.
  49. Sangemdoko

Sangemdoko

Version 1.1.6 of the Ultimate Inventory System has been released. You can see what has changed on this page.

A new Integration with the Character controller is now available too see the documentation here

50. Roger_Odonnell

Roger_Odonnell

Hey its unfiixngdock from discord here's the item dropping problem stuff you were looking for

Item Pickup is null on the Drop Item Action.
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning (object)
    Opsive.UltimateInventorySystem.ItemActions.QuantityDropItemAction:InvokeWithAwaitedValue (Opsive.UltimateInventorySystem.Core.DataStructures.ItemInfo,Opsive.UltimateInventorySystem.ItemActions.ItemUser,int) (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateInventorySystem/Scripts/ItemActions/QuantityDropItemAction.cs:120)
    Opsive.UltimateInventorySystem.ItemActions.QuantityDropItemAction:InvokeActionInternal (Opsive.UltimateInventorySystem.Core.DataStructures.ItemInfo,Opsive.UltimateInventorySystem.ItemActions.ItemUser) (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateInventorySystem/Scripts/ItemActions/QuantityDropItemAction.cs:65)
    Opsive.UltimateInventorySystem.ItemActions.ItemAction:InvokeAction (Opsive.UltimateInventorySystem.Core.DataStructures.ItemInfo,Opsive.UltimateInventorySystem.ItemActions.ItemUser) (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateInventorySystem/Scripts/ItemActions/ItemAction.cs:97)
    Opsive.UltimateInventorySystem.UI.Panels.ActionPanels.ItemActionPanel:InvokeActionInternal (int) (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateInventorySystem/Scripts/UI/Panels/ActionPanels/ItemActionPanel.cs:66)
    Opsive.UltimateInventorySystem.UI.Panels.ActionPanels.ActionPanel`1<Opsive.UltimateInventorySystem.ItemActions.ItemAction>:InvokeAction (int) (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateInventorySystem/Scripts/UI/Panels/ActionPanels/ActionPanel.cs:119)
    Opsive.UltimateInventorySystem.UI.Panels.ActionPanels.ActionPanel`1/<>c__DisplayClass13_0<Opsive.UltimateInventorySystem.ItemActions.ItemAction>:<OpenInternal>b__0 () (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateInventorySystem/Scripts/UI/Panels/ActionPanels/ActionPanel.cs:69)
    Opsive.UltimateInventorySystem.UI.CompoundElements.ActionButton:Press () (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateInventorySystem/Scripts/UI/CompoundElements/ActionButton.cs:72)
    Opsive.UltimateInventorySystem.UI.CompoundElements.ActionButton:OnPointerClick (UnityEngine.EventSystems.PointerEventData) (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateInventorySystem/Scripts/UI/CompoundElements/ActionButton.cs:123)
    UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update () (at C:/Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/2020.2.2f1/Editor/Data/Resources/PackageManager/BuiltInPackages/com.unity.ugui/Runtime/EventSystem/EventSystem.cs:385)

Attached Files: