Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Ultimate Character Controller (UFPS 3 / Third Person Controller 3)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by opsive, May 29, 2018.

1. opsive

opsive

Good catch. The complete event isn't being sent in that case so the ability doesn't know to end. Looking at it now!

2. Legorobotdude

Legorobotdude

Here are some resources on arm swinger:

https://github.com/ElectricNightOwl/ArmSwinger/

Mark_01 and opsive like this.
  3. opsive

opsive

So it is literally swinging your arms to move. Hah! I wonder if it has been used in any published games - this movement style is probably a lower priority for the VR addon but I don't think that it would be too bad to translate into an ability (without copying the ArmSwinger component).

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  4. Legorobotdude

Legorobotdude

H3VR has it, amount many other options. Sprint Vector exclusively uses it. Those are just off the top of my head, I'm sure many other games offer it aswell. There are options to inject it into many games using Natural Locomotion: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/natural-locomotion-application-arm-swinger,36891.html

You also can press buttons in VR right?

Integration with FinalIK for VRIK would be great.

How hard is it to implement unconventional weapons? Like wrist mounted rocket launchers? (In vr and 2d)

Have you ever played Sairento VR? How difficult would it be to extend the locomotion system to add things like wall hopping and teleport dashing?

Also definetly check out H3VR for the extremely indepth weapon interaction. I'm not expecting anything as detailed as that but having the system designed with eventually extending to that would be great.

Mark_01 likes this.
  5. meowstudios

meowstudios

Those features sound great! I was curious about the headsets/sdk that it will support... Will it work on Oculus rift, go, htc vive, samsung gear?
    Also any ETA on the plugin?
    Definitely interested in getting it from your website but I will need the VR plugin too

Thank you

6. opsive

opsive

Thanks!

Yes
    It would be - definitely won't be able to add integration at the start but is something that I have in mind later down the road.

A wrist mounted rocket launcher would be very similar to the existing rocket launcher.

This is exactly what the ability system was built for :) In the VR project that I have I implemented the teleport through the ability system.

No kidding - I played this specifically to go to the training area and just see all of the customization that each weapon has.

---

Is anybody wanting to do VR in third person? This feature set I don't have as well defined but am going for a setup similar to Lucky's Tale.

Mark_01 and Legorobotdude like this.
  7. opsive

opsive

I have a Rift, Vive, and Gear so it'll be compatible out of the box with those. Really it's just the input mapping that's different between them so adding support for a particular device is trivial (the Go would probably have a similar setup as the Gear).

No ETA yet - still trying to figure out the complete feature set and get the base v2 version out :)

Mark_01 and meowstudios like this.
  8. Michael2790

Michael2790

TPC2.for the snipers I cant zoom and shoot the same time.I dont know if it is a bug or is it suppose to work that way

9. opsive

opsive

Do you mean with the scope visible? You definitely should be able to - does it prevent you from firing every time?

I just tried it in third person and was able to fire - the one thing that I didn't think of is that when you are reloading the scope still is visible so it may look like it's preventing you from shooting. I'll hide the scope while you're reloading and then have it appear again when the reload is complete.

10. somosky

somosky

I'm glad you are planning on releasing this on your website as well as I would imagine that would help you guys out with the Unity not taking their cut of the sale haha my suggestion is to release it Sunday or Monday so that the ones who have Labor Day off have all day to play with it haha

11. Legorobotdude

Legorobotdude

The bow shooting is slightly glitched, maybe related to rifle ammo bug

Repro: In FP, pick up bow, without aiming keep firing. The arrow will not show when being drawn, only when launched. You need to time the firing right so you don't let the bow go back to the resting stance. Also if you switch to TP and fire without aiming your character still does this weird little dance with their feet where they keep switching stances.

12. opsive

opsive

I'm actually looking forward to this weekend and it not being released :) I know that once we get this thing released there will likely be a couple of updates before things settle down again. Having a soft launch through the website should ensure the first Asset Store version is even more solid though.

Mark_01 likes this.
  13. opsive

opsive

Thanks! Fixed the projectile visibility issue. Sarah is going to see how changing the stance looks for idle - when you are switching weapons the stance will have to change but that may be better than it switching stances when hip firing.

Legorobotdude likes this.
  14. natepacyga

natepacyga

@opsive I know you mentioned you have a good amount of written documentation for UCC on release, but will there be video tutorials on release too? If not, do some of the old TPC tutorials apply? Looking forward to UCC's release!

15. opsive

opsive

Definitely! I've already created one and videos/website launch are what I plan on spending my time on next week. You'd probably be able to get by with some of the existing TPC videos but a lot has changed so I plan on creating a new set of videos (with more topics as well).

Mark_01, IrishDev and Legorobotdude like this.
  16. natepacyga

natepacyga

That's awesome man! Really appreciate it and all the work you have put in. I have already bought most of your assets and will be first in line on this one when it's released.

opsive likes this.
  17. opsive

opsive

All versions of the Ultimate Character Controller will have integration with Behavior Designer on day 1. For this integration I created a tree similar to the version 1 Third Person Controller tree that serves as a great base for getting started. Here's a look at the version 2 tree:

This tree works for both shooter and melee weapons and allows the agent to do the following:
    • Attack the player if the player is in sight
    • Search for the player if the player was previously in sight
    • Search for the player if the agent heard a noise
    • Find health if health is low
    • Find ammo if out of ammo
    • Patrol if no other action is required

18. Ascensi

Ascensi

@opsive After purchasing BD long ago I was hesitant to put in the effort of creating a bunch of nodes and have ultimately been looking for a simplified solution such as a premade/preset node biome system one biome might be called "fear" which could have a slider to adjust to adjust strength and a random choice or chance checkbox that if the fear strength is high to the set random choice or chance value it would activate. I haven't checked the progress of BD maybe you've already have premade personalities that people can just activate.. any thing like this in BD these days? thanks.

19. opsive

opsive

That sounds like a perfect application of the Love/Hate integration with Behavior Designer. @TonyLi can chime in with more but hopefully we'll be able to get Love/Hate (and Tony's other assets) integrated with version 2 around the Asset Store release.

Mark_01 and TonyLi like this.
  20. TonyLi

TonyLi

@Ascensi - If you have any questions about Love/Hate, just let me know. The free evaluation version works with Opsive's Behavior Designer integration if you want to try it. I'll work with Justin to get it integrated with UCC, too, pretty soon after it's released.

Mark_01 likes this.
  21. opsive

opsive

Version 2 will be pre-released on opsive.com on Friday, September 7th! This is for those who don't want to wait any longer :) I'll let everyone know as soon as I know a date for the Asset Store release.

prerelease.png

Mark_01, IrishDev, TonyLi and 4 others like this.
  22. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

opsive likes this.
  23. somosky

somosky

Cool I'll see you guys on Friday haha. Any chance the documentation or tutorials can be released earlier so I can start learning the general jist of how the UCC asset will work?

opsive likes this.
  24. opsive

opsive

Yes - the documentation will be. Tomorrow night we'll be switching over the site to the new layout and that will have all of the documentation visible. I'll make a post here when we do that. Then on Friday morning I'll enable the purchase so you'll be able to download version 2 :)

Mark_01, IrishDev, TeagansDad and 3 others like this.
  25. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Exciting!
    :D

opsive likes this.
  26. SharkTeam

SharkTeam

If we buy it over your website, is there any chance of getting a coupon code for Asset Store? Because for example if i buy TPC from your website and later on i decide to buy UCC, i guess there willl be no upgrade discount over your website?

27. opsive

opsive

Unfortunately not. The website is now using WooCommerce so it's a better shop interface but it still won't be able to transfer to the Asset Store.

28. AngelBeatsZzz

AngelBeatsZzz

I hope that we can get a redemption voucher in the future after we buy the UCC tomorrow, because it will be more convenient to use the plugin in Unity.

29. opsive

opsive

Is wish that there was a way but if you purchase through opsive.com then it won't be able to be transferred. Unity only gives publishers 12 vouchers a year to specifically prevent cases like this.

The opsive store now uses WooCommerce so it's a lot better shop interface than in the past. This means that you'll:

- Be able to access your order history
    - Be able to upgrade between version 2 assets while on the opsive.com store (such as from UFPS to UCC).
    - Receive email notifications when there is an update

Eventually when the Unity Package Manager is more open I'd like to add opsive.com to it so that'll make it easier to manage within Unity, but I haven't heard a timeframe from Unity when they plan on doing that.

Legorobotdude likes this.
  30. AngelBeatsZzz

AngelBeatsZzz

Understand, thanks for reply.

31. IrishDev

IrishDev

Congratulations guys on the UCC release!
    Looking forward to getting it but will wait until it is released on the asset store.

opsive likes this.
  32. somosky

somosky

Can I ask you a question that's hardly related to this at all but have always kind of wondered? What's it like creating a asset like this that is used in so many games. That must be the coolest feeling ever. I was watching a GDC video on Slime Rancher where they said they used UFPS. That's just so mind blowing to me. Do you know of anymore big games that have used your assets?

33. opsive

opsive

It definitely makes you think about situations that you wouldn't normally need to think about. The Ultimate Character Controller evolved from our experience with version 1 of UFPS and TPC and the use cases that were asked about throughout their life cycle. Besides pure 2D characters I can't think of a use case that the Ultimate Character Controller wouldn't be able to work with and we got here because of that experience.

The toughest time that I have is hearing about completed projects that have used our assets. You're absolutely right - it's extremely fun to hear about those completed projects but generally if you things are going well you never hear from the developer. Now, bug reports and feature requests are a completely different story :) A great example is Slime Rancher - I had no idea that it was made with UFPS. That's awesome! I'm going to watch that talk as soon as we get version 2 released on our site.

To try to help us hear about the completed projects our website now has a showcase section where you'll be able to submit your game. The welcome screen also shows it. I really hope that this spreads awareness that we want to hear about your completed game :)

showcase.PNG

34. syscrusher

syscrusher

@opsive, I was amused to note in the interview video that someone in the chat made the same observation, referring to "using the sword as a lance". :) I never thought of expressing it that way, but...yeah. (And you did mention that Sarah is working on it...)

35. opsive

opsive

A real sword will be in the first 2.0 release :)

sword.PNG

Mark_01, syscrusher and Legorobotdude like this.
  36. syscrusher

syscrusher

That's a lot better. In reality, the sword hand would generally be out of view below the camera frustum at this FOV, but the angle is much improved. I'm willing to cut you some slack here vs. reality because I understand you probably want the hand visible to the player. :)

TheLetterS and opsive like this.
  37. opsive

opsive

The new opsive.com is live!

OpsiveLogo.png
    All of the character controller documentation is available on this page. Right now all of the character controllers are listed as out of stock but I'll make a post after I've uploaded them. We're getting close!

IrishDev and Legorobotdude like this.
  38. imgumby

imgumby

Yikes..a $45 upgrade from UFPS 1 to UFPS 2 !! Plus all these different controller options.o_O.....I already own pretty much all the opsive and opsive (ufps) assets...Behavior Designer... UFPS 1 ($48.00) .TPC ($75.00) ....AI Death Match ($25.00) ...Mobile add-on($20.00)... That's $150 already spent just on controllers alone that it sounds like may be going to be consolidated in this new UCC ?? ...I think I'll wait a while for the dust to settle before I spend any more money on upgrades..... maybe leveling up to the UCC once available will be more palatable than spending $45 on simply upgrading UFPS ?? Either way sounds costly trying to keep up with the Jones's...;)

39. dev_2051

dev_2051

I too have the same feelings as there should be some middle way to let people upgrade to UCC who have already invested in UFPS($75) + TPC($95) = $170.
    Now upgrading each UFPS + TPC will cost more around $90, So in total their old customers are left paying for the upgraded UCC which is way more than current UCC price of $180.

I know they have worked quite hard for the update and deserved to be paid for the updated UCC but upgrade cost should be reasonable enough for everyone.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  40. imgumby

imgumby

Looks like there was a hiccup as UFPS 2 is no longer on the store page ....

41. cj31387

cj31387

If i buy UFPS 2 and TPS 2 off your website, will i get a key for the asset store + able to download it from your site. Or just be able to download it from your site? I want the assets it my unity account, download manager.

42. unicat

unicat

Is it possible to see the feets too in fps mode, not only the arms ?

43. somosky

somosky

I checked your website and got excited it was the new website and it had the Ultimate Character Controller on it. I think I may have jumped the gun and purchased it too early haha so there is no downloads available in my download section. My bad haha I assume that'll be updated when the asset goes live on your website? Suppose I should have read the forum post here first. Good luck on the launch today and moving forward.

TheLetterS likes this.
  44. opsive

opsive

Version 2 is basically a new asset started from a fresh project so we wanted the upgrade price to reflect that, while still giving a discount to loyal customers. There will not be an upgrade price for deathmatch when we update that to version 2, and mobile controls are included in the base version so there's no need for that add-on.

This is the first major upgrade that was done since UFPS was released in 2012 and TPC was released in 2015. The Asset Store has a habit of having a lot of churn from publishers simply because the revenue model is not sustainable. We like publishing for the Asset Store so having these upgrades are a great way to make it possible :)

Thank you for all of your existing support - it really is appreciated and we love what we're doing. We have a lot planned for the Ultimate Character Controller and are excited that we're finally able to release it.

45. opsive

opsive

I think that the Asset Store devs are working on the upgrade migration. I just checked and there isn't an upgrade option within my publisher panel so it doesn't look like it has stuck yet.

46. opsive

opsive

47. opsive

opsive

Definitely -

FullBodyShooter.png

48. opsive

opsive

Now we know that the payments work :)

Thank you - I'm excited that we're finally able to start releasing. There are a lot of moving parts right now with the website transfer but I plan on uploading version 2 this afternoon.

49. unicat

unicat

50. roykoma

roykoma

Hi @opsive

i own both, TPC & UFPS in the assetstore. Is there a possibility of upgrading these to UCC via your website? I'd like to not be cluttered with two assets (only possibility in the assetstore without paying twice for one of them), when there is one including both of them.

Greetings,
    Roy

Mark_01 likes this.