Search Unity

[RELEASED] Ultimate Character Controller (UFPS 3 / Third Person Controller 3)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by opsive, May 29, 2018.

1. mattis89

mattis89

First bug : When I use fists, at first they are visible but after the combo they goes invisible.
    Second: Lean only right, then left or right wont work...
    Third: Weapons dont show in 1st person
    Fourth: switch movement types dont work?

The animations are easy to change right? They are horrible..

I dont know whats going on with the weapons but I cant pick them up with or without using F....

Soo , overall the character controller feelis good... other animations and sounds and a bit more ... not so stiff movement then its golden...

Legorobotdude likes this.
  2. opsive

opsive

Thanks - I think we have all of those issues fixed. The controller uses an animator controller so you can switch out the animations - are there any in particular that you don't like?

3. opsive

opsive

We switched to a new server for opsive.com and I'm curious to hear if the domain has resolved for everyone. Can you get to the the UFPS forums? This seems to be the page that isn't resolving for everyone:

https://legacy.opsive.com/assets/UFPS/forum/

4. twitchfactor

twitchfactor

Your site is hosed. Seems to "load", but there's nothing there.

opsive likes this.
  5. twitchfactor

twitchfactor

Also, for UFPS2.0, is there a listing of features?

Most importantly for me, are there the following features; double-jump, dash, wall-run?
    If you have those, we're golden!

6. MostHated

MostHated

It looks like opsive.com is showing a permanent 301 redirect to legacy.opsive.com, is that the way it is supposed to be set currenlt? The UFPS forum is a different forum system than your normal one also, isn't it? Might need to check if it has any hard-coded lines in which it's listening specifically for opsive.com/assets/UFPS/forum/. Possibly something with .htaccess as well if you are using Apache?

opsive likes this.
  7. MostHated

MostHated

Ah, the UFPS forum is stuck in a redirect loop. It keeps trying to go directly to opsive.com/assets/UFPS/forum/, but then that keeps sending it back to legacy.opsive.com/assets/UFPS/forum/ over and over.

twitchfactor likes this.
  8. mattis89

mattis89

The sword idle, rifle attack, those I saw..

9. opsive

opsive

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Mark_01 and twitchfactor like this.
  10. opsive

opsive

We haven't written the marketing text yet, but the demo gives a pretty good indicator of what's included. The demo doesn't include all of the weapons or the ride ability, but everything else is there.

The Jump ability can double jump, and a dodge ability (which is similar to dash) is planned for the Agility Pack which should be released shortly after the base version 2 release. Wall running is more parkour related and we do have a trello board specifically for that ability pack but it's lower priority right now. In any case the ability system makes it really easy to add your own abilities if you want to add it before we can get to it.

twitchfactor likes this.
  11. opsive

opsive

Thanks - the sword animations have been redone as part of our melee improvements for beta 3. The rifle attack is a pretty small animation but we'll take a look at it!

12. cj31387

cj31387

Will the release be early mid or late august? Kinda stalling my project waiting for it.

13. abathurabathur

abathurabathur

Same, the UFPS v1 was good but still limited in lot of aspects so stalling my project waiting for it,especially the multiplayer addon. Unfortunately they say that it will not be released until 2019 :(

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  14. opsive

opsive

Thanks for your patience @cj31387 and @abathurabathur :) We're working on it daily to try to get it released as soon as we can. We do plan on being done by mid-August-ish but we may not be able to release it on the Asset Store then due to a couple of things out of our control. If we aren't able to release it then we'll release it through our website in August and release it on the Asset Store in September. We'll keep everyone updated as we know more!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    Mark_01, KIR99 and Legorobotdude like this.
  15. somosky

somosky

Big month for you guys huh? Hope there aren't any snags that cause any delays. Any new info on dates, prices or unreleased information on the asset?

Also I'd love to see a tutorial or Twitch Stream of some quick setups for the tools. Especially the UCC which combines first and third person characters since that's how I'll be using the asset.

Good luck this month .

MostHated likes this.
  16. MostHated

MostHated

I second, third, and forth this question, lol. Can't wait. : D

Also, was there ever any update on the multiplayer? I know Unity came back about the bug that was found but said it was by design and more information was going to be sent to them or something along those lines?

Neviah likes this.
  17. opsive

opsive

Beta 3 of Version 2 has been released! We're happy to announce that this will be the last beta, and next week we plan on having a demo for release candidate 1 out. This beta brings a lot of melee improvements including new melee weapons, a jump attack, melee recoil (hit the shield), and a melee trail.

BetaAnnouncement3.png

Blitz from the Third Person Controller will be returning in RC1 to demonstrate the ride ability. The ride ability is the last feature that we will be adding until we are ready for release. We will then spend a couple of weeks on the marketing aspect (screenshots, videos, new website transfer, general polish) and we'll be ready for release! We're getting close!

Thank you to everyone who has sent us bug reports so far - please keep them coming so we can ensure the first release is as polished as possible!

Windows (recommended): http://legacy.opsive.com/assets/Version2/Beta3/Beta3Windows.zip
    WebGL: http://legacy.opsive.com/assets/Version2/Beta3

18. opsive

opsive

We just released beta 3 and should be able to release RC1 next week - things are still looking good for an August release date. The big unknown right now is being able to do upgrades from the Opsive (UFPS) publisher account to the Opsive publisher account. I'm working with the Asset Store on this and it should happen soon but we're not going to release until we can do an upgrade from UFPS 1 to 2.

Pricing is a separate topic that we are starting to think more about now that we're getting closer to release. All total with the Ultimate Character Controller there will be 7 different assets:

Ultimate Character Controller
    First Person Controller
    Third Person Controller
    UFPS (Ultimate First Person Shooter)
    UTPS (Ultimate Third Person Shooter)
    UFPM (Ultimate First Person Melee)
    UTPM (Ultimate Third Person Melee)

The Ultimate version of the assets will only contain the perspective/items for that asset. For example UFPS will only contain shootable weapons with a first person view. UTPM will only contain melee weapons with a third person view. First Person Controller and Third Person Controller will be more expensive compared to the Ultimate versions of the assets, as it will contain both items for that perspective. The Ultimate Character Controller will contain all items and both perspectives.

Right now for base pricing we are thinking of:

Ultimate Character Controller: $180ish
    First & Third Person Controller: $95
    Ultimate Versions: $75

You will be able to upgrade from one asset to another. There will also be a discount if you already own version 1 of UFPS or TPC. We haven't decided on the final number yet but we're thinking a 60% upgrade cost which would make version 1 to 2 of UFPS $45 and $57 for an upgrade from version 1 to 2 of TPC. Our thinking with this is that version 2 is a completely new project so in a sense they are a completely new asset.

While we haven't completely settled on these numbers I'd love to hear what you think.
    Once we get RC1 out I'll be doing a lot more of the marketing side of things so I'll definitely be streaming and creating videos.

Thank you! :)

19. opsive

opsive

Unity did say that it was by design and I got more information on the inner workings of the animator for why it was by design. I have an idea on how to work around the design limitation but haven't been able to test that theory yet. Hitting this bug may not have been such a terrible thing because it looks like unet will eventually be deprecated so for this addon we will want to use the latest networking technology that Unity provides:

https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/08/02/evolving-multiplayer-games-beyond-unet/

20. somosky

somosky

Maybe it's just me but I downloaded the new beta and when in first person mode the camera is at a 90 degree angle and everything is essentially sideways haha not a huge deal as I'm sure a number was just put in incorrectly on the fps camera but essentially makes the demo unplayable in the first person view.

21. opsive

opsive

Whoa.. hah.. yeah that's not right. The wrong view type was starting off. I'm building a new version now.

22. opsive

opsive

Both the Windows and WebGL version have been updated - go ahead and give it another try :)

23. rasto61

rasto61

Just my opinion but I think this may be too much fragmentation and slightly confusing for people. Wouldn't grouping by perspective or by weapon stance be better? UFP, UTP, and then UCC or UCM, UCS and then UCC? With this ^ aren't you pricing yourself out? Invector offers both melee and shooter for $75 and a free first person addon.

24. opsive

opsive

When we acquired UFPS it had a base price of $95 so I know that price is possible. I do agree though that there are a lot of different versions so we've been working with our web design firm on making it as easy to understand as possible. At the top of the character page there is a filter that allows you to select what you're interested in and then it'll only show the relevant assets. This will be a learning experience though.

At last year's Unite the Asset Store team did a presentation which basically said that developers are publishing their assets for too low. We've also been slowly upping the Behavior Designer price and it does seem like there is a market at the more premium end of the scale. With version 2 you will be getting a quality product and one way to reflect that is with the price.

25. MallNinjaMax

MallNinjaMax

I'm looking forward to release. I'm almost definitely upgrading to the Ultimate version. If you don't mind me asking, though, why do you plan on releasing so many versions? 3 different versions each and an ultimate combo controller seems like a bit much.

How expanded will the melee combat be? Is it really worth splitting out into a separate controller, when a lot of shooters also have melee? Are you planning on doing more with the melee combat, like adding directional hit and combo systems similar to Mount & Blade or Kingdom Come? Or is it just bonking? What about melee expansion packs with basic bonking in the core controller, instead?

Or maybe, I'm just not really clear on how the packs are divided up.

26. opsive

opsive

I guess the main reason is the history of how all of the assets came to be. I really like the name Third Person Controller because it's a generic name that describes exactly what the asset does. We then acquired UFPS and because it is such a well known name we don't want to change that. UFPS doesn't really have much melee support (in fact the melee in UFPS 1 is still labeled as beta) so we could rip that out and replace it with something that works well. If we continue with the hierarchy then we'd need a First Person Controller asset that contains both shooter and melee support. The Ultimate Character Controller came to be so you can have everything all in one asset (for a slightly cheaper price). The Ultimate Character Controller really is just the First Person Controller and Third Person Controller combined in one asset.

All of the versions will use the same scene so it'll be relatively easy to support the 7 different assets as we go through updates. I have a build script that removes the unecessary files and packs it nicely into a project dedicated for that asset.

You're right - a couple of months ago @TheLetterS and I were talking about this and how the melee support isn't as strong as the shootable support so we don't want to have an asset at the same price as the shooter if it's not worth it. There were a lot of melee improvements between beta 2 and 3 so I do think the price is justified, but we're definitely open to having this discussion. We do think that the melee controller won't sell as well as the shooter controller.

Do you have a link which talks about the directional hit system? I'm not familiar with it but would like to add it if it makes sense to add. There is a combo system included and it's actually really flexible if you have some scripting experience. If we take the sword as an example it uses a Sequence combo:

Capture.PNG

The Selector at the top allows you to determine how it transitions from one state to another. In this case the Sequence selector is selected which will transition from states 1 to 2 (and back to 1). If you have some programming experience you could create a custom selector which plays a specific combo animation based on the current game state. This is how recoil works when you hit the shield - the recoil selector will determine that you hit a shield so it should play the recoil animation.

27. A2GStudios

A2GStudios

How about if we already own both assets, I think I paid $75 each, so I already have $150 in it.

28. MostHated

MostHated

Oh, was the problem was specific to UNet? I currently use LiteNetLib anyways.

29. opsive

opsive

In that case it would be an upgrade to version 2 for both, so $45 with UFPS and $57 with TPC. The Asset Store doesn't support combo upgrades so each one is treated individually.

Mark_01 likes this.
  30. opsive

opsive

The bug wasn't specified to UNet, but I was using UNet so if it's being deprecated then for a new asset I'll want to use the latest networking implementation that Unity supports.

31. MallNinjaMax

MallNinjaMax

I think I get it...

FPS + FPM = UFPS
    TPS + TPM = UTPC
    UFPS + UTPC = UCC

I just threw those out at the top of my head just as examples of more involved melee systems, rather than a request. It actually wasn't so much a feature/value concern, as redundancy. Most melee-heavy games will still have projectile weapons, and most shooters are still going to have some kind of melee combat. Aren't they just going to need both anyway? Not really relevant to me, but I thought it was worth pointing out.

I wasn't aware of this. That's pretty neat. My current project doesn't use melee as anything more than a bonker or a QTE, but I might still have to play with this.

32. opsive

opsive

Almost :)

UFPS + UFPM = FPC
    UTPS + UTPM = TPC
    FPC + TPC = UCC

We'll include a chart as a screenshot showing precisely what is included in each version. I'm hoping the filter on our new site also helps with reducing the confusion.

Yeah, since this affects UFPS the most in September of last year I asked the UFPS community about removing melee from UFPS and the response wasn't negative so we decided to go with it. The melee implementation in UFPS is extremely limited right now so I don't think anybody is seriously using it.

:)

MallNinjaMax likes this.
  33. Legorobotdude

Legorobotdude

There's a bug in Beta3 where the scope stops rendering properly. I've seen 3 different glitches, one where it goes only black, one where the view glitches and shows multiple crosshairs, and one where it only renders bullet decals.

I can't get 100% reproducability, but basically just zoom in with the sword and keep switching back and fourth and eventually the scope will glitch.

In general, there seems to be a lot of problems with weapon switching. Sometimes I can't keep going to the next weapon and have to go back a weapon before continuing. I also got a lot of weird poses.

Sometimes sword positions glitch back and fourth between pointed forward and pointed up. The bow animator should be looked at as there are lots of rapid transitions, and sometimes just snaps positions without a transition.

My character also grew a third arm which was a bit disconcerting.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  34. opsive

opsive

Thanks for giving it a try! You're mostly in first person, correct? Yesterday I reworked parts of the Equip Unequip ability and was mostly testing in third person. I should have done more testing in first person. They'll be fixed in the release candidate.

35. Legorobotdude

Legorobotdude

Yep, did all my testing in first person. The third person bug was the part where it switched me to third person automatically due to the zone. Glad to hear my feedback was helpful.

36. opsive

opsive

The hidden weapons ended up being an issue with the initialization order rather than the Equip Unequip ability. The third hand was a state issue. Because these were two pretty major issues I uploaded a new version of beta 3. Think of it as Beta 3.1 :) I'll tackle the assault rifle scope, item perspective switch, and bow animation issues tomorrow.

The third arm is sort of an interesting situation. UFPS 1 requires each weapon to have its own parent arms. In version 2 you can either have your own arms with each item or you can have multiple items under a single arm. There are three possible equip states with the pistol:

Pistol
    Pistol & Pistol
    Pistol & Grenade

To account for all of these situations the pistol uses its own parent arm GameObject so it can be disabled/enabled independently. When the third hand was shown that was actually left over from the main set of arms which is used for the grenade.

37. eTech3D

eTech3D

I'd like to thank you for your great effort, it is really a nice job you are doing with many features packed, polished and many add-ons to come... :)
    One add-on that many are interested in is the netcode. So Would you please tell us the status of the multiplayer implementation especially photon networking? When is it going to be released?

38. opsive

opsive

Thank you :)

Our original hope was that we could release the multiplayer addon at the same time as the base release but we ran into a couple of snags along the way and that ended up not happening. A lot of the hard parts are implemented including the abstract networking layer, client side interpolation, and server reconciliation. We started to add support for UNET, PUN, and Bolt. With UNet being deprecated we will likely use whatever new technology Unity releases instead. This does mean that the multiplayer addon won't be released this year and it'll be sometime in 2019.

39. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Awesome! I want the version will all the bells and whistles! Love it!

Oh yeah, and don't forget to add parachuting and paragliding... :)

I did get stuck where I couldn't switch weapons. I guess step one is to add an inventory UI and maybe force dropping a weapon and only allowing to carry two... I couldn't pick up the shield either..

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  40. mattis89

mattis89

I tried beta 3.. .The weapon switching didnt work.. to use its F not B.. The door didtn open I got stuck...
    Is there any chance that you make lift up or put down weapon against wall so its not possible to shoot?
    What about fall animation depending on height? For smaller less dramatic animation, bigger more dramatic, you know a bit like far cry 5 ?

41. opsive

opsive

:D

Thanks for letting me know. I think that this one is fixed - there were a couple of cases where the Equip Unequip ability was stopping when it shouldn't have been. I think that out of all of the abilities the Equip Unequip ability has been the biggest pain - there are a lot of use cases that it has to cover.

We're purposely staying away from any type of inventory UI for this asset. There is an inventory base class that you can implement so it should be fairly easy to integrate with another asset or your own inventory system. There are just so many use cases with an inventory that there's no way we'd be able to cover them all with this asset being focused on the character controller aspect.

Thanks - just fixed that. The pickup item didn't have any item types to pick up.

42. opsive

opsive

Do you have a joystick or non-standard keyboard connected? The UI will change depending on if you have a controller connected and it's setup for an Xbox controller. The action button is the B button, which is the equivalent to the F mapping on the keyboard.

Yes - this is in there for third person :) In the image below I am aiming but the Item Pullback ability prevents the character from aiming. This ability isn't active during first person because your weapon will always be in the front.

ItemPullback.png

That would be pretty easy to add. We are done adding new features to the initial 2.0 release but we should be able to add it to a future release.

mattis89 likes this.
  43. mattis89

mattis89

Yes, sorry I realised I had Xbox controller connected and a logistic..

Will the pullback ability be added to the firstperson? that would make sense, so it wont be any issues with bullets thrue walls or muzzle flashes on the other side of the wall..

44. opsive

opsive

In first person mode all of the objects will draw on top of the wall so it's not needed. When determining the hit location the cast is started in the center of the camera so you'll never shoot through the wall.

45. mattis89

mattis89

Okay, well imagine this.. You stand so close to a wall you could get, and shoot.. Then theres still a muzzleflash even when the barrel is pressed against the wall, I really recommend this feature pullback in first person view becuse it looks good and that quite common in modern games.. Its really a must Justin. When I play and there is no pullback etc it looses realism.. But np bro, is the weapon position still set with xyz? There is a crouch (in ufps 1) where it sets the weapon likenit was pulledback, will there be made the same way in ufps2 so I can activate that ”event” with another raycast , like If player has equipped weapon activate ”this event”? Or what do you recommend?

46. jmitcheson

jmitcheson

If there is no official multiplayer add-on someone should build one for Photon and sell it

47. opsive

opsive

The muzzle flash is on the same layer so it'll be drawn in front of the object as well. This is the standard method for handing first person objects in Unity and is how UFPS handles it as well.

The weapon is set similarly to UFPS by the position spring with an offset and then an exit offset when you unequip.

MuzzleFlash.png

Mark_01 likes this.
  48. opsive

opsive

That's definitely a possibility and I'd happily promote it while our multiplayer addon isn't released.

49. mattis89

mattis89

okay, but come on I mean.. Do you play games? Im a one man company, my life is hectic.. People like me would love this kind of things because thats the most complicated part to make good, and I know you can, the realism.. What do you do in real life if you stand in fron of a wall, you put your gun down. the life... the feel...that "oh it hurt so bad when I fell but Im back up and going... This kind of things would be a great thing for the community and your excellence.
    please, consider this kind of ability or implementation...=)

50. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

Completely understand the modularity of the new assets and think it is a great idea; I'm sure the web designers will have no issues in presenting this in an easy to digest fashion. It will be more challenging on the Asset Store though since there is less flexibility.

My thoughts on Melee (which is an important aspect for me) are as follows:

Generally I would be looking for features similar to a Dark Souls type game. Some key aspects would include:

1) Combos; more in depth combo features and chaining with left and right hand weapons, or closer integration with other assets such as GAC that do this already. Specifically allowing different combinations of inputs to determine different attacks, as oppose to chaining the same two attacks together in different combinations. Also more control on at which points moves chain and whether an input is a tap or a hold, since shooter focused games may only have 1 or 2 inputs at most dedicated to melee so this allows for additional possibilities.

2) Defensive options; I am thinking along the lines of a parry or counter attack mechanic which would require timing defense while being attacked to turn defense into offense, as oppose to only blocking. Quite essential for most third person melee games.

3) Takedown/Stealth Kills; when attacking up close the enemy is grabbed and executed using a one hit kill custom animation. This would require animations that match for player and enemy. Takedowns/melee kills are actually in most shooter games already, but this is also important for melee only or stealth games. Combined with a cover system, this mechanic would open the door for stealth type games which is a big genre on its own.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018