Search Unity

[RELEASED] Ultimate Character Controller (UFPS 3 / Third Person Controller 3)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by opsive, May 29, 2018.

1. TechSinsN

TechSinsN

Just wanted to ask before i buy, it says splitscreen which is something i do need, but is it possible to have 4 player spitscreen? and how does it work, 1 player on keyboard and 1 on controller or both on controller?

2. opsive

opsive

Yes, that is supported from the character controller side of things. For that situation I recommend using something like Unity's new Input System or Rewired which are both integrated with the controller. This will give you more precise control for button mappings.

https://opsive.com/support/documentation/ultimate-character-controller/camera/split-screen/

syscrusher and BigRookGames like this.
  3. syscrusher

syscrusher

@Bonzotaz1 in case you hadn't seen it yet, there's an official Unity video tutorial that shows how to do split screen cameras using Cinemachine. I've done the technique they describe, and it (1) works great, and (2) is extensible to an arbitrary number of cameras even though the tutorial assumes just two. I've done it with four myself (not multiplayer, but a simulation where I needed the one person to see more than one view at a time).

I haven't tried setting this up with UCC yet, but UCC does nicely support Cinemachine as an option for its camera rig, with the free plugin. (I think they may have added that feature partially because of my nagging :)). The CM support in UCC works great, and I've set it up with more than one CM camera in the scene, so I know that much works. The only thing I haven't tried is having more than one CM-enabled UCC character in the scene at once.

I'm not saying CM is the only way to go -- it's just a suggestion to consider it as a possibility, if you hadn't already. CM is a good tool set with a lot of "pre-invented wheels" built in, and the small increase in initial setup time may pay for itself later as you don't have to deal with complex camera damping, viewport framing, etc. UCC has an integrated system for occluding object fades, and CM has obstruction avoidance capabilities, so you have two complementary features that make for a very versatile design environment.

Not to step on @opsive here (who are the definitive source for tech support on UCC), but if you run into issues with the CM side of things (as opposed to UCC), ping me here on the forum as well as reaching out to them, and we should be able to get you unstuck.

On a personal note to @Bonzotaz1 if you are still considering whether to buy UCC: This is an absolute top-tier tool from a development and testing team who are deeply committed to the product and consummately professional in their attention to quality and in their customer relationships. The price of UCC can be intimidating to an indie developer, but it's an absolute bargain compared to the number of person-hours that it takes to develop -- and maintain over time -- a truly first-rate character controller.

I don't work for Opsive or have any other financial incentive to promote them -- I'm just a paying customer who has spent 35 years developing software, and I know good code and good support when I see it. I know that "cost" and "value" are two very different metrics, and I know the opportunity cost of my own time. You get what you pay for, and your time is both finite and valuable.

opsive likes this.
  4. opsive

opsive

Thank you @syscrusher - it was really nice reading that! We are really proud of all of our assets. :) I never thought about doing split screen with Cinemachine but it makes sense since it is just a camera rig and can render to any portion of the screen.

5. TechSinsN

TechSinsN

Perfect thanks guys! think im gonna go ahead and purchase it!!

syscrusher and opsive like this.
  6. rdvt

rdvt

Hi, I want to do a multiplayer VR game with Oculus Quest 2. I only need the "The Ultimate Character Controller"? and the PUN Add on?

7. opsive

opsive

The VR add-on does not currently support the PUN add-on. The reason for this is that the VR add-on uses Unity's IK system which doesn't support the detail needed in order to do VR IK. I have heard of people using the Final IK's VR IK component with the VR add-on in order to support this but this would take new scripting.

8. opsive

opsive

9. CrandellWS

CrandellWS

has the upgrade costs changed? and to what?

10. CoyoteFringe

CoyoteFringe

The upgrade from TPC to UCC Is $95. (I just bought TPC and checked.) So you save $50 if you go the upgrade path while TPC is on sale.

opsive likes this.
  11. opsive

opsive

Yes, the prices have increased a bit since then. Here's an updated flow chart:

CrandellWS likes this.
  12. opsive

opsive

When version 2 was released we deprecated our Deathmatch AI Kit asset because it was still using version 1 of the character controller. We have finally updated it to version 2 and are getting close to a complete release. The Deathmatch AI Kit has been released on the Opsive Store so if you want to get it early you can do so now.

DeathmatchMain.png

The Deathmatch AI Kit includes a set of behavior tree tasks with one goal: eliminate all enemy targets. In order to accomplish this goal the agents will move in formations, take cover, determine the best weapon, and strategically attack the target. The Deathmatch AI Kit allows for team-based and free-for-all deathmatch games using the power of Behavior Designer and the Ultimate Character Controller.

https://opsive.com/assets/deathmatch-ai-kit/

Deckard_89 and CrandellWS like this.
  13. CrandellWS

CrandellWS

All due respect I want to keep all my assets in the unity asset store... what is the ETA for Deathmatch AI Kit v2 on the Unity asset store?

14. opsive

opsive

I understand that. The Deathmatch AI Kit will be listed on the Asset Store in January.

CrandellWS likes this.
  15. opsive

opsive

Version 2.2.7 of the character controllers has been released. You can see the release notes on this page.

This update adds integration with three vehicle assets. Be sure to take a look at the documentation for the steps to setup these integrations.

Edy's Vehicle Physics

NWH Car Controller

Realistic Car Controller

CrandellWS likes this.
  16. digiross

digiross

I'm about ready to start a new project that will utilize UCC and with the sale going, I wonder if it's worthwhile getting the puppetmaster asset or does UCC handle ragdolls good enough?

Thanks

17. opsive

opsive

The character controller uses Unity's ragdoll system so if you're fine with that then you don't need PuppetMaster. With that said, PuppetMaster does provide some very nice ragdolls.

syscrusher likes this.
  18. cursedtoast

cursedtoast

Are footstep sound effects entirely dependent on a character having an animator? If so, any hack around suggestion for those that are making a first person game without a model/animator?

Also, not sure if this is something you're aware of, but any layers I create and try to add to the Interact ability won't show up in the dropdown until after a Unity restart. Latest Unity 2019 LTS. Not a huge deal, but wasn't sure if this was a known effect due to how things are coded, or a bug so I figured I would mention it.

Last, a suggestion (I'm still new, so if this is a thing somehow and I'm missing it, I apologize):
    Could we get an option to debug draw our interact casts so we can see the positioning with the offset in the editor? It's simple enough to override Interact as a new ability, but unless there's a reason you feel it shouldn't exist, it would be nice to have as a base feature :)

Otherwise things are looking nice so far. I was able to easily write a script that changes a crosshair sprite to various different graphics depending on what the player is looking at, using the built in Interaction ability. Very nice to have that in the box! I'm going to ditch my custom written inventory system and pickup your system -- both systems should be a nice framework to build off of for a first person adventure game.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  19. opsive

opsive

Glad to hear that overall things are going well. For support can you post on the forum at https://opsive.com/forum? This allows us to track each request better and also has a search to make it easier to find previously asked questions.

cursedtoast likes this.
  20. digiross

digiross

thanks for the info!

21. newguy123

newguy123

Can a simplified version of this asset be made for Unity Project Tiny please?

22. opsive

opsive

Thanks for the suggestion. Right now we don't have any plans to support Project Tiny.

23. opsive

opsive

newguy123 likes this.
  24. jerotas

jerotas

Hi Justin.

Tried sending email to your support email on the Asset Store. Twice. Never got a response. Here's my email.
    ------------------
    I know we bought UFPS way back, probably before you bought the asset from the original owner.

Master Audio has integration with UFPS, or at least it did. I can no longer download the latest to see it if compiles, it wants me to buy it. Please provide us a voucher for UFPS: Ultimate.

Unless it's not the same product and that product has died? I remember chatting with you a few years ago and you mentioning that new UFPS would be in an easier place to add integration, with an audio manager centrally located.

Thanks,
    -Brian

25. opsive

opsive

Hmm, strange. I haven't see anything come through from you. I'll send you a PM.

Version 1 of UFPS is separate from version 2.

jerotas likes this.
  26. jerotas

jerotas

Well I couldn't find my old invoice #, so if you somehow filter out emails without invoice #, that would be why.

27. mattis89

mattis89

@opsive I have followed tutorials on setting up character in third person adventurer/combat and setting up items. But when I do like you and start The game and want to position my revolver, it dont show.. Its inactive and not equipped but shows that I have it in inventory.. So no aim animation plays neither since probably it dont register its equipped..

28. opsive

opsive

Hello,

For support can you post on the forum at https://opsive.com/forum? This allows me to track each request better and also has a search to make it easier to find previously asked questions.

Also make sure you take a look at the Equip/Unequip troubleshooting section in the docs.

Justin

29. mattis89

mattis89

OH I looked in The troubleshooting docs and I have actually none of those abilities set.. I didnt even know you needed them, shoudlnt they be set when making the character? Or it should be mentioned

30. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Hello. I played the demo but I couldn't see the part where the character opens doors with his hands or pressing the button with the IK hand function. Does this asset include those features?

31. opsive

opsive

Hello,

Yes, it does. That part of the demo is on the second floor in the first room on the left:

upload_2021-2-5_7-28-29.png

32. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

I played that part but I can't see the hand or arm moving or an IK hand pressing the button, I just see the doors opening and buttons pressing by themselves. I downloaded the demo from the assetstore page yesterday so it's probably not an outdated one.

33. opsive

opsive

Are you in a first or third person view?

Edit: I just tried it and it looks like the first person view is off. The third person view works. The first person view uses a generic rig and Unity's built-in IK system doesn't work with generic rigs. As a result there is some manual positioning for that button press and it looks like it needs to be adjusted. With third person it can use Unity's IK system.

Thanks for letting me know and I'll have that adjusted for the next update.

Cactus_on_Fire likes this.
  34. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Nice to hear that :)
    Another question is that is it possible to do an alt-fire to the weapons where we use it with another input without switching weapons? Things like the grenade launchers in assault rifle attachments.

35. opsive

opsive

Yes, it is. Things like shooting are controlled by Item Actions and you can assign as many as you want to them. In the demo scene the shootable weapons can also melee, but it would be the same setup as adding another shootable weapon for something like a grenade launcher on an assault rifle.

36. L82093

L82093

Hey Justin / Opsive,

I own both First/Third Character Controllers and was wondering if there's a way to upgrade to UCC for free considering it's the same as owning both? I would just much prefer having one central download instead of two. Is this possible?

Would be great!

37. opsive

opsive

If you purchased through the Opsive Store I can definitely do that but unfortunately there isn't a way to unlock UCC on the Asset Store.

L82093 likes this.
  38. L82093

L82093

Thanks for the response!

Would it be possible to heavily discount UCC to those who own both TPC & FPC to free or as close to as possible? When I go to the UCC page it's $95 - just wondering if this is something you've considered or if it's possible.

I have all of your main assets: BD, UIS, TPC, FPC. You and your team have done a great job!

39. DGordon

DGordon

Hey,

I have my own system for stats, abilities, combat, inventory, equipment, etc already built (generic system for different types of games). Is there a way I should integrate that into this, or should I just use this for the movement but handle everything else myself?

However, I also don't want to shoot myself in the foot. Does this handle creating randomized loot ala borderlands, stores, equipment (ie: destiny, more rpg-ish) etc, or is that beyond scope of this? If you already have that built in, and its all working well ... then I guess I should learn how you guys did it before making my decision. Otherwise, I already have systems for all of that ... I just need to figure out how I should merge my stuff with this, and what to use and what not to use.

Thanks!

40. opsive

opsive

The Asset Store's upgrade system only allows you to specify one asset so that's why you are seeing the $95. They don't allow you to set a price from multiple assets.

Thank you! We really appreciate it :)

L82093 likes this.
  41. opsive

opsive

If you have already built a generic system for those topics then I would just use that. You can create a minimal character that doesn't include the extra systems and then build on top of that. With that said, if you are able to integrate your own ability/combat system into the ability/combat system provided by the controller then I recommend doing that since a lot of the structure is already built out for you.

That is beyond the scope of the controller, but we do have an inventory system that integrates really well with the controller.

DGordon likes this.
  42. SUUNE

SUUNE

just wanted to say - if you're an artist or don't have A LOT knowledge about coding - DON'T BUY THIS!
    This asset have the most twisted logic. Did you ever heard about SRP? I guess "no" because all scripts are connected and trying to add something or doing simple stuff like DISABLING IT will return errors because yeah... you have no control over this system... You have to spend months on learning it...
    Worst spended money in my life.

43. opsive

opsive

Hello,

For support please get in contact with us at support@opsive.com. I'm curious what issues you are running into. The controller is built to be very modular but with that design it does require you to first understand the structure. This is one of the reasons why we are able to cleanly integrate with so many assets without there being any manual code changes.

Justin

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  44. SUUNE

SUUNE

xD https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-responsibility_principle - this is SRP ;)

I tried to contact on forum and support (and I was much nicer than here)... I get answers "write your own Ability" or "We will make it maybe some day"... or I get links to the tutorials (all the tutorials are terrible, only about basics, no complex cases writen from scratch)
    Adding anything that isn't included in demo is almost impossible for me. Some many custom functions, dependencies, namespaces and rules... I basically have to learn a new software inside Unity because non of the features works like everywhere else... and even things from demo are buggy and clunky.
    Maybe I'm too stupid for this asset, but that is the feeling I don't have very often in my life... that's why I want to warn people about this terrible asset.

45. opsive

opsive

Can you send me a link to your post? It doesn't look like your Opsive forum username matches.

46. SUUNE

SUUNE

I have many names ;)
    No, I will no send you anything. I'm not looking for help. Just wanted to rant because of wasting so many hours. I hope I helped someone who thinking about buying UCC to speeds up development.

Only thing you can do is adding on your asset store page info "This asset will not speed up development of your game, but you will learn many things usefull only in UCC" ;)

47. opsive

opsive

The majority of our customers have had success and I am confident that we can get you there as well. If you feel like working with us feel free to let me know your username and we can go from there.

I really, really like how the controller is structured and it would take years to get to the same point with a custom controller. This page gives an idea of how the controller is structured, but I believe that it is very organized. There is a lot included though so it will take some time to get up and running, but I can guarantee that it would be less time then creating your own controller :) Anyway feel free to reach out with more info and I can definitely help!

48. SUUNE

SUUNE

Make good tutorials. Show complex use cases NOT included in demo.
    Maybe make a couple hours long tutorial explaining every single detail of your asset and show how you creates a good FPP/TPP character fighting with sword, shooting guns, driving cars, riding horse and interacts with various objects/NPCs/events... but don't use demo things - make it from start to finish - show me how to use your asset.

49. opsive

opsive

Thanks for your feedback. I'll think about this and the right way to approach it. I've found that a lot of people don't like extremely long videos - some of our frequent support questions are covered within our 20 minute videos. The demos do a good job at showing how things are setup and this is one of our more recent approaches. We recently released the Deathmatch AI Kit which was built with its own set of art assets. We also recently announced the Adventure Kit.

L82093 likes this.
  50. SUUNE

SUUNE

ok... I will give it a shot. I have an ability that detects trigger... soooo I have m_DetectedObject in Ability and now I want to on AbilityStarted(){ m_DetectedObject.GetComponent<my custom script>()... }
    aaand I can't access monobehaviour... I added to the script all namespaces from Ability script.

Thats my last problem... I hitting wall every 5 minutes so I guess you will have to move to my house lol