Search Unity

[RELEASED] Ultimate Character Controller (UFPS 3 / Third Person Controller 3)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by opsive, May 29, 2018.

1. opsive

opsive

Thank you - both of those have been fixed. The pistol ADS has been adjusted to be closer to the crosshairs center. I like your idea on adding an instant death trigger to the bottom of the platform - I don't want to introduce any new functionality now without first completing the marketing material so if it doesn't make it into the base 2.0 release it'll come shortly after.

ads.png

Legorobotdude likes this.
  2. opsive

opsive

Thank you! I have most of those fixed. Are you able to tell me how to reproduce the horse issues?

3. opsive

opsive

Thanks - I just fixed the lean issue. I've also adjusted the sensitivity when you are aiming so it's slower. This can be controlled via a preset so it's a quick adjustment.

4. MrIconic

MrIconic

Will "UCC" have compatibility with the A* Pathfinding asset like "TPC / Behavior Designer" does?

5. opsive

opsive

Yes - I don't think that we'll be able to launch with A* integration but it's high on my list to add. It shouldn't be too difficult of an integration to add which is also beneficial.

MrIconic likes this.
  6. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

For the horse, I was trying to get inside a door by quickly mounting and dismounting... that's probably what broke it.

7. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

didnt found bugs in 15 minutes play time, the camera movement is still a bit sluggish.

8. Legorobotdude

Legorobotdude

That's a lot closer but it really needs to be a bit higher so the iron sights actually line up. Glad to hear the other issues were fixed.

9. opsive

opsive

That probably is - thanks, I'll focus on that area. But more importantly.. were you able to get in the door? :)

10. opsive

opsive

Glad you didn't encounter any bugs! I'll send you a PM in a couple of hours with a few different builds to try out to test the sensitivity.

11. opsive

opsive

Part of the issue that we were having was that we don't have a 3D crosshairs so we had to line the pistol up beneath the crosshairs. I just changed it so now when your in first person and aim it'll remove the crosshairs and this allows us to move the pistol up higher so it truly is an iron sight:

pistol.png

12. somosky

somosky

We are more than half way through August. Getting really excited. Well I'm getting excited I'm sure you guys are getting a little stressed haha.

I've been looking around the asset store for first person animations and there don't seem to be any of them that really work with default rigs .A lot of them seem to work on Legacy rigs .I am seeing quite a few third person full body weapon animations. Is there any kind of IK or anything like that in the system to target some of those animations to make them look correct in a FPS view or do you know of any animations you can recommend? If not I'm thinking for a non animator like me using the Asset Umotion and making copies of your animations and then altering them as need be may be the way to go .

13. opsive

opsive

Stressed is an understatement :) I feel like there is still a lot to do before we release but we're getting there. The big potential showstopper is Unity not transferring UFPS to our publisher account so we can do the upgrade - we definitely are not going to release until that is transferred. I heard that it's one of the next tasks for the Asset Store devs so I'm really hoping that it happens this next week.

UFPS will support generic rigs so just because it uses legacy animations doesn't mean you won't be able to use it with version 2. For the September version of Unity's Online User Group I am creating a video showing UFPS in action and for that I am using the FPS Weapons asset by @Mister-D. I haven't actually put this scene together yet but have downloaded FPS Weapons and it does look like it should work.

Version 2 uses Unity's IK system so it does not support generic rigs. This means that the first person view is completely animation based and does not include any IK.

14. somosky

somosky

That is amazing that you are using that pack because that's the one I wanted to use. I figured it would work but that you would have to use the arms included in the pack. Are you saying you think it's possible to import are own character use something like the FPS Mesh tool kit and use the FPS Animiations from Mr-D's assets?

15. opsive

opsive

For the video I plan on using the arms that are separated. You could also use the FPS Mesh Tool to separate the arms, though I doubt the animations will automatically transfer. Maybe @CodeBison can chime in?

16. Legorobotdude

Legorobotdude

Is picking up and dropping objects a planned functionality?

17. opsive

opsive

For picking up items I'm assuming that you're referring to something more than the item pickups within the scene? Something like picking up arrows?

You can already drop the item with the Y button, though it wasn't working in one of the release candidates. I think that it is fixed in the most recent RC.

18. Legorobotdude

Legorobotdude

I meant like picking up and dragging objects. Like for example how in Realistic FPS Prefab you can pick up boxes and it is held up in front of you.

19. opsive

opsive

Ah, yeah, makes sense. This is in UFPS and TPC version 1 as well (through the Move Object ability) so I definitely want to add it to a future ability addon.

IrishDev and Legorobotdude like this.
  20. IrishDev

IrishDev

@99thmonkey- didn’t you create a Weapon Editor for use with UPFS? I think you mentioned it was useful for the FPS Weapons asset Opsive are using for their demo. I can’t find the link to it on the UFPS forum though

21. opsive

opsive

We've been able to focus on the marketing aspect for the past couple of days - here's the new main image for Ultimate Character Controller:

UCCLarge.png

The Third Person Controller has a new large image as well:

TPCLarge.png

As does UFPS:

UFPSLarge.png

22. opsive

opsive

(new post because only five images can be added to each post):

We'll be keeping all of the icons similar with the same background (the UCC icon will have an orange color overlay compared to blue):

UCCSmall.png

And the new TPC and UFPS:

TPCSmall.png
    UFPSSmall.png

23. opsive

opsive

Here's a look at the different controller assets that we'll be submitting (hopefully next week! Still waiting on Unity to transfer UFPS):

ComparisonChart.png
    If you want to switch perspectives you don't necessarily need the Ultimate Character Controller - as long as you have the same item asset it'll work. For example, if you have UFPS and UTPS then you'd be able to switch between perspectives.

Legorobotdude and TonyLi like this.
  24. AlienMe

AlienMe

I own UFPS, and all Opsive assets (TPC, BD, and all add-ons). And I will be upgrading to the Ultimate Character Controller.. so take the following with a grain of salt.

Why the whole mess of packages?

In which case would anybody want to have a Third Person Melee and not have Shooter capabilities? Or vice-versa? 3P vs. 1P makes sense.. but the rest seems overly complicated.

If you are doing a hack'n'slash, you want to have swords, crossbows, bows, spells... If you are doing a Fortnite, you want Rifles, snipers, but also knives, or use a wrench as a weapon.

Having said that, I think your assets are very high quality, and your coding is very clean and structured, so your assets are very well worth whatever price you choose..

25. opsive

opsive

Thanks for your support and feedback :)

This post explains how we decided on the versions. There will be a $20 difference between the version that contains one set of items compared to the version that contains both so it's not that much of a difference. With that said we'll see how it goes - I think that the differences makes sense purely based on the name and history of the asset but I know that especially if you're brand new to Unity you don't care about that. We can always make adjustments if something isn't working well.

Mark_01 likes this.
  26. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Yes I did (mainly for myself) which I shared on my youtube and website. Like I said, it was mainly for myself. :)

27. Nick62

Nick62

Can you explain, if I have UFPS v.1 and TPC v.1 and upgrade both to v.2, so what versions I`ll get?

UFPS v.1 ---> UFPS v.2.0 or First Person Controller v.2.0 ?
    TPC v.1 ---> Third Person Controller v.2.0 ?

And the main question, if I upgrade both UFPS v1 and TPC v.1 will I get the same functionallity as
    Ultimate Character Controller v.2.0 ??

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  28. opsive

opsive

Version 2 of UFPS.

That's correct.

Almost - with that path you'd have everything except the first person melee weapons. You can then upgrade from UFPS to FPC for the difference of $20.

If you have First Person Controller and the Third Person Controller then that's the exact same set of files as the Ultimate Character Controller.

Nick62 likes this.
  29. Nick62

Nick62

Thank you for the answer!

But now UFPSv.1 contain melee.
    It would be better to ugreade UFPSv1 to First Person Controller v.2.0 for $57 too.

And can you tell, if it will be any time limits to make an upgrade from the v.1 ?

30. opsive

opsive

I like that idea - I'll see if the Asset Store upgrade tool allows it when we submit and if we can then we'll go with that. You may not be able to do multiple upgrades from a single asset but hopefully that's not the case.

I don't think we'll have any... if we do we'll give at least a month of heads up.

Nick62 likes this.
  31. somosky

somosky

If the Publisher isn't changes to Opsive soon for UFPS do you think you'd release the UCC first until Unity makes the switch for you?

32. opsive

opsive

Hopefully it won't get to that point but we are going to wait to release until UFPS is transferred. We want there to be as much of a reason for them to do the transfer as soon as possible.

33. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

@opsive - Hey got a question for you Will the VR add-on support VRTK?

34. opsive

opsive

The VR add-on won't require VRTK because I don't want there to be that dependency but I imagine that we'll have an integration for it once the add-on has the base functionality.

35. opsive

opsive

Unfortunately it doesn't look like we are going to hit our August release date. I'm disappointed that we won't be able to hit it but it's not all bad - this extra time gives us time to add more documentation/polish the marketing material. Our new website should be live next week and that will have the documentation for you to take a look at (which is 230 pages when printed to pdf). As soon as UFPS is transferred we'll announce a release date.

In the meantime, it's time for release candidate 3! This will be the last release candidate for version 2 and we are extremely excited to get this controller released.Thank you for all of the feedback so far - it has really helped us fix some bugs that we never would have caught!

RC3DemoAvailable.png

You can try release candidate 3 at:

Windows (recommended): https://legacy.opsive.com/assets/Version2/ReleaseCandidate3/RC3Windows.zip
    WebGL: https://legacy.opsive.com/assets/Version2/ReleaseCandidate3

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    Legorobotdude and MallNinjaMax like this.
  36. StayUpLate

StayUpLate

I was just about to buy TPC v1. Reading all this it seems like a way better idea to just wait for v2? I'm not in a hurry to get it though. One question: I read somewhere that climbing and swimming will not be included in TPC v2 but they ARE included in v1... Is that correct?

PS: The links in the post above me do not seem to work :) Just a heads-up

37. opsive

opsive

That's correct. Climbing and swimming will be released later through an ability addon. The existing v1 abilities will be able to be adopted for v2 but it'll take some scripting experience because the new ability API isn't exactly the same as the old API.

Thanks for the heads up :) The links should work now.

StayUpLate likes this.
  38. musolo

musolo

Hi! Looks great! When doy you plan to release UFPS2?

39. opsive

opsive

As soon as UFPS is transferred to our publisher account we'll announce a release date that will be shortly after. I am hoping that Unity will transfer it any day now.

Mark_01 and meowstudios like this.
  40. syscrusher

syscrusher

I have one small bit of feedback on the RC3 demo. In FP mode, with the sword equipped, its position at rest needs to be adjusted. As one who does sword combat in a living history context, I can tell you that nobody's going to walk around with their weapon in that position. It's not too bad in TP mode, but in FP mode it looks much straighter forward than it would actually be carried. That's an extremely fatiguing arm position.

99thmonkey and Legorobotdude like this.
  41. syscrusher

syscrusher

Couple other minor glitches: In the Ragdoll test, it didn't behave very nicely for me. There was a lot of really rapid jitter. Also, after doing the tests in that room, the "you're on fire" particle FX were stuck on the character permanently.

I found that toggling movement mode in third person didn't always "take". Is it intentional that this only works in certain parts of the environment?

The gravity tests all worked flawlessly for me, and this is a great feature.

The pushbutton animation didn't seem to have the character's hand actually on the button; for me in FP mode the hand was below the button.

On the rooftop, the top-down test worked fine for me once I realized that's what was going on. I didn't notice the "Top Down" indicator on the ground and was surprised when it happened to the character from FP mode, but when I saw the grid below I deduced what was happening. It may be worth having a text sign on the wall near the gridded area.

In the outdoor scene, I was able to use the teleport once to get onto the floating ball, but after doing some other tests the grounded end of that teleport link seems to have disappeared. Does it intentionally only work once?

Gunshot decals worked great, modulo the usual issue of them being placed on the collider and not the visible object (I understand why that is so; the only place I noticed was if you shoot one of the crates and then examine the decal closely -- not a big deal).

I ran the test at 4K resolution with no performance issues, though admittedly I'm running on a GTX-1080.

99thmonkey and Legorobotdude like this.
  42. meowstudios

meowstudios

You guys are doing an incredible job!
    I really hope to see this live soon! Can you tell us what VR addon support, what will it offer?
    Kudos for everything

43. Legorobotdude

Legorobotdude

The magazine keeps getting stuck in my hand

Repro (on my machine atleast) Start in FP, run up to rifle, grab it, fire a few shots, reload, magazine is then stuck to hand

Pistol magazine got stuck to my hand too, with the rifle magazine still stuck there aswell

Shooting the red boxes in the starting room barely pushed away the white box, I figured there would be more of a reaction with the explosion

The guy with the shield who knocks you back is bugged

Repro: Grab sword/dagger in melee room, and instead of attacking the shield, attack him. The weapon system will freeze up and you will not be able to attack or switch weapons.

Movement style switching can affect fp wierdly:

Repro: Switch to the mode where you cannot aim side to side and use arrow keys, and switch to fp. After a couple times doing this you will enter a weird state where FP walking is bugged and takes you in unexpected directions

Seems like there still are a few bugs, maybe you should send me a beta version and I will look for more ;)

99thmonkey likes this.
  44. opsive

opsive

Thanks! @TheLetterS is working on improving this.

I've seen this before but haven't been able to reliably reproduce it. My bet is that it relates to a setting on the joint. I'll keep playing with this but if you're able to reliably reproduce it I'd love to hear how :)

Fixed

When I built the demo I had the combat state selected when the demo is made for adventure to first be selected. My bad. When I do the build for the Asset Store it'll ensure that adventure is selected so this particular issue won't happen with a published demo scene.

Fixed

I think that we'll add the "Top Down" text to the main rooftop area so you definitely know when you're in top down mode.

It should continue to work - what order did you go through the teleporters? It sounds like it's the opposite of this:

https://twitter.com/justinmosiman/status/1032375643088928768

I've ever-so-slightly expanded the crate collider :)

Awesome! The usual no-runtime allocations after initialization applies so that should keep things as smooth as possible!

Thanks for all of the feedback!

syscrusher likes this.
  45. opsive

opsive

I hope so too :) I think that we'll open up purchases on our website next week so you can get it ahead of the Asset Store release. There won't be any upgrade discounts but it'll be for those who want to get their hands on it as soon as they can :)

I'm still working on that addon - what are you looking for? Right now I've mostly been focused on first person perspective with being able to:

- Teleport to a new location (with an arc showing where you'd teleport to).
    - Hold and fire a weapon in each hand.
    - Reload by flicking the weapon.

meowstudios likes this.
  46. opsive

opsive

Thanks @Legorobotdude!

Fixed
    You are in first person view, correct? This looks like an inconsistancy between the first and third animations and that's causing the Use ability to think that it should still be attacking when it isn't. Thanks - we'll get this one fixed.

I think this was caused by me not setting the third person adventure mode correctly (see my response to @syscrusher)

Soon! :D

47. syscrusher

syscrusher

48. Legorobotdude

Legorobotdude

Regarding VR, here are some things id like to see either included or made easy to implement.

Movement options: smooth (track pad/joystick), arm swinger, and teleport.

Physically pick up / drop guns/objects. (I would like this ability to be extendable so things like telekinesis could be implemented with some more coding)

On body weapon holstering

Doom style weapon menu

Physical reloading (inserting and removing magazines by hand) and slide pulling with slide lock (after emptying magazine slide locks back for faster response)

Ammo bag (reach into bag and grab and you receive a magazine for the gun in your other hand) with ammo management similiar to Arizona Sunshine

Mark_01 likes this.
  49. opsive

opsive

Thanks for that list! Some of those are already implemented and the rest shouldn't be too bad.

I'm not familiar with the arm swinger movement type - can you send me a video of a game that uses this method?

Menus/inventories are a rabbit hole that I don't want to go down - the menu for each game is slightly different and instead of attempting to cover every use case I'd rather just avoid it all together for a character controller asset :)

syscrusher and Legorobotdude like this.
  50. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Sorry, I broke it again by accident. So, since I love the way if you run fast, jump and swing the sword you get a super amazing extra long attack. Therefore, I tried it with the Knife and it breaks.

Go get the knife. Run holding shift as fast as you can. While doing this jump and attack in the air. It will break every time.

This was in third person.

mattis89 likes this.