Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Ultimate Character Controller (UFPS 3 / Third Person Controller 3)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by opsive, May 29, 2018.

1. joshrichardson1234

joshrichardson1234

No worries thanks for letting me know and please keep us updated on progress / timelines where possible :) You guys are doing great work!

opsive likes this.
  2. opsive

opsive

We are still planning on doing a Twitch stream but I want to first make sure the code is complete so it'll likely be a couple of weeks before we release v2. We are planning on being done with development in August, but there are a couple other factors that are out of our control for when we release so it'll depend on when those line up as well.

We want to release this version as soon as we can - the minute that we have a firm release date I'll let everyone know.

Legorobotdude likes this.
  3. somosky

somosky

Are you familiar with the asset FPS Weapons or have any of your beta testers used it?

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/46108

The reason I'm asking is because they have some really nice guns and animations in that pack and was wondering if those animations can be used in UCC. At least in the first person view.

I apologize for all of the questions by the way. Hope I'm not being too annoying yet.

4. opsive

opsive

No problem! I haven't used that asset but the weapon system should work with all weapon models/animations - the animations use Unity's Animator Controller so you can easily swap out the animations :)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  5. opsive

opsive

eTech3D, pegassy, Mark_01 and 3 others like this.
  6. eTech3D

eTech3D

Tried Beta 2, it looks better, but in the "Interact" room, when hitting "Fire" instead of "F" near any of the objects, say the switch for example, it keeps firing continuously unless aiming is changed to something else.

7. cj31387

cj31387

Are you doing Unet too, or just pun?

8. opsive

opsive

Thanks! An error related to the Surface Manager was being thrown so that's why the animation kept playing. Fixed :)

9. opsive

opsive

Yes, both uNet and PUN will be supported.

syscrusher likes this.
  10. syscrusher

syscrusher

Which also means that in typical Opsive fashion, you've modularized the network portion, which means people like me who need to heavily customize will be able to easily roll our own. :)

opsive likes this.
  11. somosky

somosky

Just tried out Demo #2. Was definitely fun. There were a few issues I noticed though.

The first being sometime the camera wouldn't render or show things in the first person view. An example of this is when the demo first starts I spammed left click to see the unarmed melee animations . I cycled through them a few times and eventually could no longer see the arms while punching .The kick was still seen though . Switching to third person mode made was working properly but even when switched back to first person mode this was still happening . Almost the same thing happened when I had the sword and the rifle. I could shoot perfectly fine in third person mode but not in first and the same thing happened with the sword .I believe I achieved this mistake by switching guns too quickly. By the way upon rag doll death these problems went away so when you die the issues go away and everything works fine.

The dual wielding pistols were nice but o have a question on how they were set uo. Left click fires left gun and right click fires right gun and zooms . Very jarring to shoot quickly. Was that a design choice that we can change? Seems like a odd setup .

Lastly not really a bug but a question. Are you able to manually set third or first person depending on a weapon being held? Would I be able to say all guns are used in FPS mode and all melee type weapons are in third person mode? So the player wouldn't actually have control besides which weapon they are currently wielding?

12. opsive

opsive

Thanks - I was able to reproduce this so we'll get it fixed :)

In this beta the dual wield state wasn't activated properly so the right mouse button was zooming when it shouldn't have been.

I haven't tried combining independent first and third person weapons but theoretically it should work. Restricting the perspective can definitely be done as we do it for the first person springs room. This room isn't per-perspective but the concept would be the same.

13. Legorobotdude

Legorobotdude

First time I ran it, I started in third person and grabbed the assault rifle, and could not equip it even though I had it. Worked fine the second time in first person.

Also, random thought, will the system allow playing a different animation if the magazine was totally empty? In many guns you have to pull back a slide or load the shells a different way so a way to do that would be appreciated.

14. opsive

opsive

Are you able to reproduce it in third person?

A different animation for firing or reloading? There is a dry fire animation that can be played, though the reload animation isn't aware of the magazine being empty (this would be pretty easy to add though).

15. Legorobotdude

Legorobotdude

No I can't reproduce sorry. Weird, everything works fine now.

And I meant for reloading animation. Basically if there still is a round in the chamber, there are less steps required to reload. You also would have 31 bullets instead of 30 (with a 30 round magazine) because of the full magazine and bullet resting in the chamber.

16. cj31387

cj31387

Will it be 100% server authoritative, with lag compensation, client side prediction, and hitbox frame rewind?

17. opsive

opsive

Makes sense - this would be an extremely minimal change to the shootable weapon's reload animation state method. I've written this down - right now we're trying to polish the current feature set as much as we can before release while only making planned additions (such as more melee weapons and a sniper/rocket launcher). If we don't get to it before release I can tell you what the code that you'd want to add though.

18. opsive

opsive

Yes, the uNet version will. PUN is client authoritative so it does not need those features.

SirTwistedStorm likes this.
  19. desertGhost_

desertGhost_

I'm interested in a feature similar to this. My request would be for the ability to play the reload animation multiple times based on the magazine level (loading cartridges into a bolt/lever action one at a time). The ability to use a "to reload" animation and a "from reload" animation before and after the reload animation(s) would also be a great addition.

20. opsive

opsive

The shotgun has an example of reloading a single bullet at a time so this aspect is possible. You could then create a new state to/from the reload animation state in order to add the "to reload" and "from reload" animation.

21. mattis89

mattis89

Hello! This is great :) But I have one request that should be included (or at least made to work with ufps2) And thats the redhawks weapon editor, where you can fast set up and add a new weapon both meele and firegun. It was so much hassel without the redhawks custom editor window for ufps. What do you say? Or have you made it fast and easy with verision 2?

22. opsive

opsive

Version 2 has an item builder that will add all of the necessary scripts for your weapon so it's an easy process.

Legorobotdude and Mark_01 like this.
  23. cj31387

cj31387

Whats the ETA on release?

24. opsive

opsive

We are still looking good for an August release date.

25. MEGASEAN2812

MEGASEAN2812

I wanted to ask how the third person and first person content will be split, will we be missing things like first person legs if we do not have TPC? how hard is it actually to add third person characters if you started with just UFPS?

26. opsive

opsive

Definitely not - with just UFPS you still have the ability for full body awareness. What will be changed is now with only UFPS you won't be able to switch to the third person person with the v key as you can now. This will require the Third Person Controller.

The character creation process has been simplified for both first and third person compared to UFPS. There is now just one editor (and I actually tweeted an image of it earlier today): IMG_20180706_204907.jpg

Mark_01 and HeadClot88 like this.
  27. Legorobotdude

Legorobotdude

What are the plans for AI? I presume there will be integration with Behavior Designer? Will Deathmatch AI be updated for this asset? Will it still require TPC since the animations come from that?

28. opsive

opsive

Behavior Designer integration is pretty much ready to go. The Deathmatch AI Kit will temporarily be deprecated when we release v2 but getting it back will be a top priority after release. The Deathmatch AI Kit will work with TPC or UFPS - I'm really looking forward to seeing it working in the first person view :)

29. MEGASEAN2812

MEGASEAN2812

So the third person controller is mostly just gameplay code then? I'm not in particular use for perspective changing, but wanted to ensure I have a third person character model in the event I would want to implement something like flycams.

Sorry if I'm going a little all over the place, I'm just a little confused is all.

30. opsive

opsive

No problem - when we get closer to release we plan on having a comparison of what is included in what to help with questions like this. The third person code mainly includes the third person camera view type as well as the code for changing the materials based on the perspective switch (such as enabling the arms/head when switching from first to third person).

31. mattis89

mattis89

Okay, All the settings too? is there an option that you can copy like the pistol so you have something to go from when you change the recoil settings and such?

32. opsive

opsive

Yes, there is.

mattis89 likes this.
  33. mattis89

mattis89

awesome!

34. J0linar

J0linar

I hear always unet/pun but how about Steam P2P Multiplayer? At least consider it, by using facepunch.steamworks the integration into ufps2 would be a way to Cut the costs when it comes to Multiplayer ( Think Indie as the userbase of this asset is at the end indies) there would be no need for unet/pun as middleman.

35. opsive

opsive

An abstract networking layer has been added so in theory any solution can be easily added. At this point I just want to get unet/pun working and then we can go from there with other integrations :)

SirTwistedStorm, mattis89 and Mark_01 like this.
  36. joshrichardson1234

joshrichardson1234

Just wondering do you guys have any best guess as to when the Photon plugin will launch or know when you will start to get an idea when it will launch? Just not sure whether to back burner this for now

37. opsive

opsive

After we release we are going to be focused on getting the new Deathmatch AI Kit released and also the VR addon released because that one is already pretty far along. If I were to guess I don't think that the multiplayer addon will be released until sometime in 2019.

38. somosky

somosky

When the multiplayer is added will there be any support for a PVE style of combat. Instead of player vs player it is player and player vs AI or Coop?

39. opsive

opsive

At the start I just want to get player versus player working, but after release I could see coming out with an example that uses Behavior Designer over a networked environment.

40. JMyerscough

JMyerscough

This would make it an instant buy for me! Everything is looking great. Looking forward to the release.

41. rasto61

rasto61

Will item functionality be standalone? So no reliance on the character controller and without having to be a child of the character as in tpc right now? Say a weapon is able to be shot without requiring the ucc camera? This would be needed for VR anyway. Are you familiar with VRTK? Would ucc items be usable with a vrtk setup?

42. opsive

opsive

The items do require the character controller for reasons related to non-VR mode, but with first person VR the core character controller doesn't do much. Here's an example of dual pistols:

https://twitter.com/Opsive/status/1016129434863263744

I don't want to require any other assets for the VR addon to work so it currently is not usable with VRTK - maybe an integration down the road?

43. rasto61

rasto61

Thats understandable, the vr addon should be self contained. I meant if it would be possible to extend with vrtk, or something in the ucc would be getting in the way.

I suppose that could work if the controller doesnt do much. Movement and use of the items be handled by vrtk.

44. opsive

opsive

I haven't looked at VRTK code in depth but for VRTK integration you'd likely create a new ability that exposes the VRTK functionality. Version 2 requires a more specific execution order compared to version 1 in order to achieve the best results. As an example for moving with the navmesh I created a new ability instead of having an external bridge component:

https://twitter.com/Opsive/status/1003318622767460352

45. rasto61

rasto61

Also will ucc be backed by any kind of automated testing?

46. opsive

opsive

Do you mean like internal unit tests? I have not setup a unit test framework for this, though I do have a couple of manual scenes used to test specific functionality.

47. rasto61

rasto61

Yes, that's what I mean. Will this be added before release? UCC sets out to provide a lot of functionality, and things can break easily, especially with all the addons planned.

48. opsive

opsive

Internally we have a release date that we are trying to hit so they probably won't be added before release since we're still in active development and we we still need to finish the documentation/videos/marketing materials. Things are also most likely to change at the beginning of the release so while automated testing would be nice I don't think that it'll happen until after. This is similar to what we did with Behavior Designer - after things settled down I added unit tests to ensure future releases continue to work.

(we'll be announcing the release date as soon as we are feature-complete which should be towards the end of the month).

Mark_01 likes this.
  49. somosky

somosky

Will UCC have any issues running in Net 4.6? I'm thinking about using it for a inventory system that would require it or is there a inventory system within UCC?

50. opsive

opsive

No - it doesn't have a problem with .net 4.6. There is an extremely basic inventory system but no UI. It is setup to be extensible by inheriting a base class so I imagine it'll be easy to integrate.