Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Ultimate Character Controller (UFPS 3 / Third Person Controller 3)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by opsive, May 29, 2018.

1. opsive

opsive

If you can post in the opsive forum that would be great as with the amount of support requests that we get would overwhelm this single thread. It also makes searching easier for previously asked questions.

2. SUUNE

SUUNE

hmm... I get answers on forum not eariler than 24h from posting... in this pace I will make one script per week.
    You just assuming I didn't bought your asset. I feel offended.
    But I have to say I already feel like on your forum - I'm again pointed to a "link"... this time not to documentation lol

3. SUUNE

SUUNE

I still didn't get answer to my different question posted couple hours ago (asked with good manners) on the forum... in the meantime you are very active here so I assumed you prefer this forum.

4. opsive

opsive

We've started working on version 2.3. This version won't contain as many big features as version 2.2 did but it will include more minor features that add up to a solid release. One of those features is a mirror within the demo scene:

upload_2021-2-11_6-42-12.png

This mirror will work in first or third person perspective. It uses the same Material Swap component that is used for split screen.

L82093 likes this.
  5. opsive

opsive

Version 2.3 also contains a new Point & Click Movement Type. This Movement Type has been added to the top area near the Top Down Movement Type:

6. DGordon

DGordon

In regards to my questions about integration above, and SUUNE's ... very vocal ... request for easier onboarding. Is there any chance you guys can create a tutorial on how to use this for a custom game that wants to hook into this in a proper way?

IE: I mentioned I have my own stuff I'd like to use to drive stores, equipment, and what items do. However ... it also feels like overkill to write my own FPS combat system (and only use this for character movement) when you already have all of this. I would love something I could go through that would show me how I could drive your item/ability system through my own data, which would let me have guns do different types of damage, have randomized stats, and really have all of that driven by the character's overall stats, as well as determine what item is currently selected / what the options to select are through script, so it can be driven by what the character has equipped.

My hesitance is I'm not even sure if this asset can properly let me do this, so I'm not really looking to take a whole bunch of time learning all the systems to find out it won't really work out.

My apologies if you already have something like this ... this is still only an idea Id like to explore at some point to see how well I can pull it off, so I haven't done much searching.

7. piezzoriccardo

piezzoriccardo

Hi guys, i have a question about the swimming add-on for third person controller:

I set the "Can swim underwater" flag to false (unchecked) under the Swim Ability, but the first time that i dive into the water and i try to go underwater, it does not stop me to go.
    Then, if i go back above the water, i can't anymore go underwater (as I correctly expect also the first time).
    Do you have any idea?

8. opsive

opsive

I'd love to be able to but each person has their own system so it's hard to write a tutorial that covers the integration steps for a specific system. But in general for those items I would approach it as:

I would handle this by subscribing to the OnObjectImpact event. This event will then allow you to apply your own states based off of the object that was hit. From the OnObjectImpact event you can get the specific weapon that caused the impact.
    The character controller doesn't include any stats system (though it does include attributes which could be used with a new stats component) so for this you'll need to use your own system. The good thing though is that with the OnObjectImpact even you don't need to change any code within the character controller in order to add this.

You can get the equipped weapon with GetActiveItem. There are also events called when an item has been equipped.

DGordon likes this.
  9. opsive

opsive

Hello,

For support can you post on the forum at https://opsive.com/forum? This allows us to track each request better and also has a search to make it easier to find previously asked questions.

Justin

10. DGordon

DGordon

Thanks. My biggest question was if this is a modular but closed system, which wont let me hook into it with my own stuff, or if it was built with this in mind.

It sounds like you guys have this covered.

opsive likes this.
  11. opsive

opsive

Version 2.3 of the character controller has been released! You can view the full release notes on this page. Some things to note:
    • Version 2.3 moved the input and state system files into the shared folder in order to allow shared access with the Ultimate Inventory System. As a result the entire Opsive/UltimateCharacterController and Opsive/Shared directories should be removed before version 2.3 is installed. Ensure you have first moved your own assets out of that folder and have a backup.
    • Unity 2019.4 is now the minimum supported Unity version.

This version includes the following larger features:
    • Added the Point & Click Movement Type.
    • Added the Look At ability.
    • Added the option of adding a movement spread to the crosshairs.
    • Added a mirror to the demo scene.

12. mick129

mick129

Hello, I use UMA in first person and struggle a lot to do this right.

I would like the player to use the third person player body and equipment instead of using some first person arms, any tips on achieving this? I always get everything in double (both weapons are spawned or only the first person weapons).

13. opsive

opsive

Hello,

For support can you post on the forum at https://opsive.com/forum? This allows us to track each request better and also has a search to make it easier to find previously asked questions.

Justin

mick129 likes this.
  14. Conferencier

Conferencier

Hello, is there a ETA for a ladder climbing ability?
    The last info in this thread is from 2019.

Regards
    Conferencier

15. opsive

opsive

I don't have an ETA but ladder climbing will be in the next ability add-on that we release. This add-on will be focused on all things climbing: ladders, short climb, and free climb.

PesadeloDoEspantalho likes this.
  16. PesadeloDoEspantalho

PesadeloDoEspantalho

Hi,
    For when is planned this Addon?

17. opsive

opsive

We don't have an ETA right now.

18. opsive

opsive

19. unity_6BymWZ9P1U9Xhg

unity_6BymWZ9P1U9Xhg

I don't know, but it doesn't F***ing work, I've been trying to put a knife in his hand for two days, and he doesn't give a S*** about the character, and he doesn't respond.

20. opsive

opsive

Hello,

For support please post on the forum at https://opsive.com/forum. This allows us to track each request better and also has a search to make it easier to find previously asked questions. Also, the knife is really similar to the sword so you can follow this video:

https://opsive.com/videos/?pid=923&video=3936

Justin

Mark_01 likes this.
  21. VadimKrakhmal

VadimKrakhmal

Hello!

After importing the latest version of PUN multiplayer addon I've got this error :

Shared simpy doesn't have "Camera" namespace.

Would be grateful for any help.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  22. opsive

opsive

Hello,

Also make sure you are running the latest version of the character controller.

Justin

23. drbatuira

drbatuira

Hi! How are you?

I imagine I'm the next to have a UCC in life =)

Consider that I am an advanced .Net developer.
    I know that changing the core, removing things, is not part of good practices and will make updates impossible, I am aware and that's fine with me.

1 - I like to leave only what is necessary, being modular, can I remove the features that I don't need, for example, inventory? (I have my own system)

2 - If I had the FPC and the TPC, separately, would it be the same as having the UCC? Are the updates made to the UCC reflected in the other two? (I say this because I will take advantage of the promotions and make the upgrades)

3 - Can I move your package to any folder, for example, "Assets\AssetStore\Opsive\UCC"?

Thank you in advance.

24. TopShooterAds

TopShooterAds

Can someone provide UFPS Version 1

25. opsive

opsive

Thanks for taking a look at our controller.

Yes, if you don't want to add the built in inventory to your character then you don't need to. This page shows the minimum components required:

https://opsive.com/support/document...controller/character/minimum-component-setup/

Yes, it is. They are all updated at the same time.

Yes

26. cangcloud2015

cangcloud2015

I have noticed that when I create weapons or items with my own model, the material is deleted or not created. Please fix this as soon as possible.

27. opsive

opsive

For support please post on the forum at https://opsive.com/forum. This allows us to track each request better and also has a search to make it easier to find previously asked questions.

Justin

28. littenli

littenli

Hello! I'm using the footprint system, how do I make the footprints disappear automatically?

29. opsive

opsive

For support please post on the forum at https://opsive.com/forum. This allows us to track each request better and also has a search to make it easier to find previously asked questions.

Justin

30. avataris-io

Hey!
    I have a bug with apperaring new GameObjects with StateInspectorHelper component. Like described in your forum here, but I did not find any solution how to fix it.
    This bug appears in few cases for me.
    1.When I copy Nolan's character components from the demo scene into my own character.
    2. New GameObjects appears in my own scene when I try to open the UltimateCharacterLocomotion script (I copied it from the Nolan prefab in the demo scene).
    3. Also this error appears if my scene and demo scene are open at the same time. So when I want to check the Nolan components in the Inspector, new gameObjects start appearing in my own scene and I can't open that component anymore. I need to delete it and recreate it in order to continue working ...

Could you please fix this error or tell me how I can fix it in my project?
    upload_2021-5-16_5-39-26.png upload_2021-5-16_5-30-42.png

Attached Files:

31. opsive

opsive

Hello,

Can you reply to that thread with the steps to reproduce from a fresh project? I just tried your steps but wasn't able to reproduce it.

Justin

32. avataris-io

1.Open Demo scene.
    2. Click on Nolan -> remove UnityInput component. Add NewUnityInput Component, add PlayerInput component and set up it
    upload_2021-5-19_2-52-0.png
    3.Change in EventSystem old Input to InputSystemUIInputModule
    4. Go to Nolan game object and assign Event system & fix input system bug
    Here is the link with video how I set up it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cae68wpSaJKV7WC4EpoUkqE83IgzHqKv/view?usp=sharing
    also for some reasons UCC not working with new input system for me

33. opsive

opsive

I have an idea of the cause. Please post on the opsive forum so it's easier for us to track your support request.

Thank you,
    Justin

34. avataris-io

35. KeybladeViking

KeybladeViking

Will this be made compatible with RPG-Builder??
    I reached out to Blink and he said it would be to much responsibility for him but since the last update it would be a lot simpler for other developers to make their controllers compatible with his work.

I'll share his comment here:
    "Yes 1.0.4 came with the new Controller Essentials update that make it possible to easily integrate any external or custom character controller. But it still needs to be done by a programmer, and preferably someone who know the controller code (the one he is integrating)"

I would deeply appreciate it if plausible as I love both your works but can't settle on any one of them for my project

Mark_01 likes this.
  36. Mark_01

Mark_01

To @opsive As with the post above ... I would PAY for your company to make an add on to hook your controller
    with this game system..

The same could be said for GKC ( Game Kit Controller ) A great many can not code and I for one would be more then happy to pay for separate ad-on making it like a One click integrations for your controllers..
    Just a thought......

37. KeybladeViking

KeybladeViking

Agreed, I certainly wouldn't mind paying for a separate extension :)

38. opsive

opsive

Hello,

For integration requests please create a new thread on the Opsive forum. This will allow others to reply to that thread so I know that there's interest in a particular integration. I create the integrations based on the popularity of the request.

Justin

KeybladeViking and Mark_01 like this.
  39. Mark_01

Mark_01

I logged into the forum . Where would you suggest I start a thread ? The controllers are fantastic, I have had them for years now. The problem, good controllers does not make a game. And yes the controllers would save any developer many man hours, but I think many buy, because they can not code and do not have huge teams to deal with code for controllers, let alone a whole game. So to me it makes sense trying to make adon packs to the best of the RPG systems that themself s are great but the controller could be better.

Anyways where would I out a request to get more attention on the forum for that ? And or would you consider putting
    a survey on this forum like here https://forum.unity.com/threads/rel...ons-vehicles-more-3-03-1-melee-system.351456/

upload_2021-6-15_8-17-26.png

40. opsive

opsive

If you can post in the Integrations forum that would be the most visible (it looks like @KeybladeViking added to the RPG Builder thread already!). At this point we don't have a poll for what features that you'd like to see because we have a pretty good idea from the Opsive forum posts. Our next add-on was actually a result of all of the people asking about a ladder climb :)

https://opsive.com/forum/index.php?threads/climbing-pack.5787/

Mark_01 likes this.
  41. opsive

opsive

Version 2.3.3 and add-ons have been released on the Opsive Store and Asset Store. This thread has links to the release notes for each update.

The big update with this release is that we are releasing the Climbing Pack on the Opsive Store! The Climbing Pack contains 3 abilities focused on traditional climbing: free climb, ladder climb, and short climb. You can see more details on this page.

Mark_01 and TonyLi like this.
  42. cangcloud2015

cangcloud2015

I bought oculus quest2 device, but I found that VR add on is not out of the box. There is no quest2 in the button mapping page. I don't know the key value of quest2 controller. Does anyone know how to set quest2 button? I hope that the next update VR add on will support quest2.
    upload_2021-6-27_17-43-22.png

43. opsive

opsive

Unfortunately I do not have a Quest2 to test against. I have heard of people getting the button mappings to work with the Quest2, but I do not know what values they used. I saw that you posted on the Opsive forum which is perfect as somebody who has used the Quest2 is more likely to see it there and maybe they can chime in.

44. cangcloud2015

cangcloud2015

I hope that quest2 will be supported in the future. Quest2 is the most popular VR device with excellent performance and amazing image quality. You should try one.

45. opsive

opsive

Version 2.3.4 has been released on the Opsive Store and Asset Store. You can see what has changed in this post:

https://opsive.com/forum/index.php?threads/version-2-3-4-and-add-on-updates.5970/#post-29443

Due to a file change the Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController folder should be removed before importing. Make sure to create a backup before removing the folder and ensure you do not have any unique assets stored in the UltimateCharacterController folder.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  46. opsive

opsive

The Climbing Pack has been released on the Asset Store! You can get it here.

The Climbing Pack contains 3 abilities focused on traditional climbing movement. The Climbing Pack works in first or third person perspective with any of the Opsive character controllers. The following abilities are included:
    • Free Climb
    • Ladder Climb
    • Short Climb
    Free climb can traverse over uneven surfaces, corners, and curves. It also allows the character to leap in the upward direction.

TonyLi likes this.
  47. drex150

drex150

I'm getting an issue with the free climb.
    What I've done so far:
    • I set up the character manager for 3rd person only I then added the climbing pack
    • I then changed the state of the free climb ability from FreeClimb to Airborne by typing it in to the State field as I couldn't find any other way to do it
    • I then added the states for the Animator Monitor and Character IK components
    • finally I made a layer for climbable objects and assigned it to a default Unity cube
    When I attempt to climb the cube I get an error: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object Opsive.UltimateCharacterController.AddOns.Climbing.FreeClimb.Update () (at Assets/Opsive/UltimateCharacterController/Add-Ons/Climbing/Scripts/FreeClimb.cs:377)

Also, the character freezes for a second, kind of sticks to the wall for a moment then pops off it.

Any ideas on what I did wrong? XD

48. opsive

opsive

Hello,

Justin

49. gamebo5000

gamebo5000

Can we get a link to the repsonse?

50. opsive

opsive

That post was from awhile ago so I no longer remember the post but if you do a search on the forum you should be able to find some posts with the solution to that error. Make sure you are logged in in order to be able to search.